Man Alive - Everything Everything
9.2

Review this album

1. Oct 12, 2011
    At times it sounds like a combination of Radiohead, The Police, the Futureheads, and Coldplay. I think that's a good thing, personally. I don't really care for the first 3 songs on the album, which feel throwaway (esp. "My Kz, Ur Bf"), but after that, it picks up and gets really sonically interesting. Clearly not for everyone. If you don't like playfulness and experimentation, it may well turn you off. Expand
  2. Jan 12, 2013
    An original, experimental debut album from Everything Everything rivals the likes of Coldplay and Radiohead in terms of quality and structure. It tries something completely different every 16 bars and yet isn't exhausting to listen too. A very solid album from start to finish.

1. EE are wilfully eccentric, and endlessly entertaining, but they know more than most how to craft a song, how to make an album.
  2. This band has a ways to go: they can write more substantial, affecting music than this, their songcraft can indubitably be tightened up. But I think maybe it's Man Alive's sheer confidence that makes me feel alright about saying that: this is a band going places.
  3. It's comparable to Late Of The Pier's debut Fantasy Black Channel; a lot on show but with hints of greater achievement. But Man Alive is a step up from that. It could well be their masterpiece; their scatterbrained work of art.