Review this album

1. stompiedj
    Mar 10, 2003
  2. chrisb
    May 15, 2003
    Soft and cool. Nothing rocks on it. If it's not folk music yet it is a perfect and dark immitation. Old house. Broken rocking chair. This man will definitely try to steal your girlfriend and then write really deep songs about how he doesn't care that it makes him sad.
  3. WaltM
    Aug 4, 2006
    Will Oldham performs some of his most pastorally seductive songs sung with the utmost of poignant fragility. "Hard Life" has remained my current favorite song for some 2 years now. Short and bittersweet...
  4. AndeeG
    Mar 13, 2003
    how ever, it is a really great album. great songs with a great voice!
  5. MathieuC
    May 12, 2006
    Once Again, Pitchfork is incredibly wrong. This is a wonderful record, juste good songs, a warm sound, a touching voice and it's wonderfully recorded. You feel like your sitting next to Oldham singning you his song. One of the best disc in my collection.
  6. davidw
    Feb 19, 2003
    I can't stop playing this CD.I have never been that big of a fan of Oldham and any of his incarnations, so I hesitated buying this CD. I purchased it based on the strength of the review in Uncut and I am glad I did. This is the best of 2003 so far will definately end up on my to 10.
  7. beng
    Apr 12, 2003
    incredible. the most beautiful album i've ever heard, no questions asked.
  8. BenjaminBunny
    Apr 16, 2004
    Gorgeous production, pretty songs, nothing new or interesting to anyone who isn't already a fan of Mr. Oldham's profilic, scattershot genius. He's written some brilliant songs in his career and all of them are on other albums. Nice, but fairly disposable.
  9. bretta
    Apr 21, 2005
    Esential listening

1. A good album that finds Oldham retreating from the layered solemnity of his most recent releases in favor of a mood that is as intimate and delicate as it is bittersweet and biting.
  2. Mojo
    It doesn't matter whether we're spying through his windows when he's so clearly spying through ours, his peculiarly stilted narratives and ageless music fusing into universal images of loneliness. [Feb 2003, p.94]
  3. Q Magazine