Mind Over Matter - Young the Giant
7.3

Review this album

1. Jan 27, 2014
    Young The Giant's second album is really impressive. So often sophomore albums are extremely disappointing but in no way did YTG disappoint. They could have easily produced an album that is similar to their first but instead they chose to develop their sound while maintaining their original voice. It is a thoroughly enjoyable album from start to finish.
  2. Jan 25, 2014
    I wasnt a huge fan of YTG's first album. I loved Cough Syrup, My Body, and Apartment but that was about it. However this album is a great change. The band has refined their sound and every song on this album us wonderful. Anagram is my favorite. Not sure why the reviewers harp on them so much. This is one of my favorite albums ever made in my opinion and will be for a very long time.
  3. Feb 3, 2014
    I was a big fan of young the Giant's first album, with its laid back sound meshing well with the energized powerful hits that were all over the radio and beer ads, and I am similarly enthralled with this addition to their catalogue. People seem to assume that the key to success and progress is a sound that changes album by album, but in this case I think that expanding on their originalI was a big fan of young the Giant's first album, with its laid back sound meshing well with the energized powerful hits that were all over the radio and beer ads, and I am similarly enthralled with this addition to their catalogue. People seem to assume that the key to success and progress is a sound that changes album by album, but in this case I think that expanding on their original work was the right move. This album ebbs and flows well in terms of tempo and general feeling. From the fast and upbeat anagram onward into It's about time, the opening salvos of the album are confident and triumphant.
    Though Mind over matter has a cool sound and a few cool vocal moments, by this point the album borders on the repetitive, however they quickly remedy that by jumping into the slower, tranquil Firelight, which is a surprising and welcome development. The album is rounded out well by the ending tracks including one of my personal favorites, teachers. This song starts of sounding like a typical YtG offering, but becomes a seriously good, bombastic vocal rollercoaster with excellent backup instrumentals to keep it rolling. Generally an excellent 2nd album all things considered.
  4. Nov 24, 2014
    I thoroughly enjoyed this album. It has a lot of should-be radio hits. It's hard to figure out why some songs/bands make it so big on the radio while others, who seemingly follow the same formula, don't. I guess it could be the business side of the industry at play. If the songs from this album ever get to radio or in movies/tv shows they should be very successful. In my home, firelight,I thoroughly enjoyed this album. It has a lot of should-be radio hits. It's hard to figure out why some songs/bands make it so big on the radio while others, who seemingly follow the same formula, don't. I guess it could be the business side of the industry at play. If the songs from this album ever get to radio or in movies/tv shows they should be very successful. In my home, firelight, anagram, and it's about time are the highlights on this one. check it out! Expand

1. Mar 20, 2014
    Mind Over Matter has a fuller, brassier sound than this group’s debut, and especially emphasizes the guitars of Jacob Tilley and Eric Cannata.
  2. Mar 11, 2014
    When they nail the postmodern smash-up thing, it's explosive, inventive rock.... The flip side is tracks like the limp Tears for Fears rewrite "Camera."
    Singer Sameer Gadhia's bro sincerity and movie-villianish vocals make for liberating melodrama, even without the primal scream. [31 Jan/7 Feb 2014, p.104]