New - Paul McCartney
8.4

Review this album

1. Oct 15, 2013
    I think he did exactly what he meant to: he unpretentiously created a "new" album using "new" techniques. Some of the production, hook patterns and everything else sounds generic, but with Paul's unique style of spelling out his moods and feelings. Overall a great album.
  2. Jan 27, 2014
    I wonder how long it will take others to come to the conclusion I've come to. His best solo work to date, these songs can stand alongside his Beatles work. A lot of his solo stuff comes across like just fluff, like he was just enjoying himself in the studio, just jerkin' it, not really having any balls or making a commitment,so much of it is catchy, but empty and forgettable. Some other works like Chaos and Creation in the Backyard and Tug of War were very self-consciously created as self-important, grandiose Beatlesque statements as if to say "Now I'll show those critics!" But they're stilted, C and C is terminally restrained and sounds like McCartney taking his medicine. Tug of War sounds like all over-produced genre exercises. This is the first piece of work he's done that combines the exuberance, the commitment, and some balls, plus inspiration. Every song sounds perfect, full-bodied, 3-dimensional and organic, but spontaneous. It may take a while for people to catch on, but it's a full-blown masterpiece. Expand
  3. Jan 3, 2014
    Paul is the only king of Pop, Paul is Pop New is a great album, an amazing collection of happy songs, except the wonderful and sensible "early days".
  4. Oct 16, 2013
    A modern classic from a silver-age hero, McCartney completely redefines what a "latter-day album" is with NEW. The album starts off with the driving alt-rock of "Save Us" and continues to explore numerous styles throughout, both old and new. From the stoner rock trudge of "Alligator" and the Arcade Fire meets Coldplay singalong "Everybody Out There" to the reflective "Early Days," Sir Paul does it all. Yet, somehow the album still fits together unbelievably well as a whole. NEW is one of Paul's hardest rocking (albeit in a modern way) efforts in years, yet the record also contains some of his strongest ballads in a long time. The aforementioned "Early Days" sees Paul looking back on his Beatles day with a voice of maturity that the aging singer had previously not been able to accept.. "Queenie Eye" is undeniably one of the Beatle's most unique, yet classic, singles in a long time, much like the album's title track. Oh, also, make sure you stick around for the hidden track--it's a heartbreaker. Expand
  5. MES
    Oct 21, 2013
    Upfront: I'm not a huge McCartney fan. Much of his work is indulgent and flabby, IMHO. That said, after about 10 listenings of his new offering, here's my take: this is Macca's best solo album.......ever. His use of young producers have pushed his envelope and the production quality ranks amongst his best. But the bottom line is that the songs are just GOOD. It has at least 4 top-10 hits: Save Us is a driving rocker with a great message, Queenie Eye is a catchy up-tempo song that has a lot of fun for Beatle fans, New is almost insufferably upbeat but it works and Everybody Out There is the perfect Springsteen-esque crowd pleaser. Actually, the latter really does sound like the Boss leading his cleansing revival sermon with 40,000 parishioners. The other songs are often quite good; some elements of Fireman merged with some Let It Be sermons. On My Way to Work and Early Days are contemplative ones. Hosanna and Looking At Her celebrates Love. There really isn't a weak cut on the album even though some aren't quite as infectious as others and Appreciate gets a bit worn out after a few listens. Bottom line: Good on ya, Paul. A job very well done. Heck of a lot better than the critics' over-inflated expectations. Expand
  6. Oct 19, 2013
    You could say that I am a die-hard Macca fan and upon listening through the whole album, I am quite pleased. Here we see that Sir Paul, not only still has terrific songwriting capabilities, but he also still sounds as good as he did when he was younger. A great 'comeback' album after 6 years of releasing his previous one. Is it perfect? No. But it certainly is close. 9/10
  7. Nov 12, 2013
    On the surface, working with multiple producers on one album does not sound like the best idea. But Paul McCartney makes it work here. Each song is different in their own way, but they all come together in one enjoyable package. Queenie Eye and New are standout tracks, both reminiscent of his Beatles days. On My Way to Work and Save Us are also two of my favorites. (And normally I don't buy deluxe editions, but I made an exception in this case. The bonus tracks are worth it.) Expand
  8. Oct 24, 2013
    Very enjoyable album, which holds up on multiple listens. I like that he's mixing it up, using fresh techniques and producers. The album has more focus and energy than anything since Flaming Pie, yet with no real "duds"...even I Can Bet, which I don't really love, or the cliched Everybody Out There have a bit of an ear worm effect on you. I really really like Alligator and Queenie Eye, two very strong tracks. Here's hoping on future tours he actually plays some of this stuff...would be interesting to hear something like "Early Days" rather than Let it Be for the 100th time. Expand
  9. Oct 15, 2013
    An excellent offering from the aging rocker that proves he is still able to produce enjoyable and relevant music. The album contains an eclectic mix of styles, with some songs having a more contemporary feel than what we are used to from McCartney. Nevertheless, the album as a whole gels together well and is a great overall experience.
  10. Mar 4, 2014
    What can you say to promote the album if not that is a Paul McCartney one? One of the best rock/pop album of 2013, it is filled with everything macca can do best: great lyrics, excellent scores! Sir Paul at his best!
  11. Oct 18, 2013
    Dare I say it, Paul McCartney might have reinvented himself yet again, after a few lackluster albums. I have to catch myself over and over again while listening to this record because I keep forgetting that I'm listening to a McCartney album (and I mean that as both a compliment and as someone who's quite an enormous Beatles and McCartney fan). This album makes me incredibly excited for what Paul has in store for us on the live circuit. I've seen him live 6 times (3 times from the first 20-25 rows) and he never fails to impress, but I have a feeling he might reinvent large portions of his live show for the tour to support this record.

Absolutely excellent. Paul at his best in many years, since I think he's actually trying to challenge himself again. That said, the sadness that I feel when I listen to this is when I think about what Paul might have done creatively, had John--his perennial challenger--and George (the soul of the group) lived and the four had reconciled (which I believe they would have by this point). The creativity would have, I think, been absolutely unparalleled. In any case, this is a thoroughly enjoyable listen and I give Paul kudos for putting it out.
  12. Oct 18, 2013
    This is a FUN McCartney album like the ones he used to make. It's working title could have been McCartney III as it reminds me of it with its electronic bits. McCartney has finally blended his finely crafted ballads and pop songs with Fireman-styled modern music, giving us a varied and interesting album. I rate it as good as Chaos in the Backyard but more fun like Band on the Run. Only a couple of duds here.
    love his signature Casino lead guitar work and simple but effective drumming here. not crazy about the electronic sound effects ending many of the songs.
  13. Dec 11, 2013
    For someone who has been there and done that as much as McCartney it is always refreshing to see him not resting on his laurels. The album is as good as his best work through the first half hour and only starts to wobble a little bit in the last 15-20 minutes. Of course at this point in his career he is not going to get any big hits and any new younger fans are more likely to come via them discovering his back catalog.

To the big Macca fans there is plenty here to love, to the casual and indifferent fans, it will be as enjoyable as any of his mainstream albums of new material have been in the last 20 years, and to the haters there is nothing here that will spark much else than more hate. But Paul is Paul. He makes the music he wants to make, His lyrics are sometimes telling, sometimes simply window dressing. His music is highly melodic and his instrumentation and studio production still inventive.

This album will never be the album that he is defined by as an artist, but for someone that is now over 50 years in the limelight, for him to be putting out an album that is truly NEW, and it still stands up this well not only compared to what is going on in contemporary music, but compared to his own precedents is amazing.

1. Dec 18, 2013
    The pop hits sound as good as anything McCartney did with the Beatles, but it's the ballads that make this a winner. [No. 105, p.57]
  2. Dec 16, 2013
    Ultimately, it may not include anything that will endure as long as some of his Wings classics, let alone the Fabs’, but it’s a powerful and persuasive album from a man whose innate knack for melody is still firing.
  3. Nov 25, 2013
    What could have been a confused, trying-to-be-hip mish-mash is instead a re-playable collection of extremely strong songs, Paul's most interesting, varied and soul-baring in years. [Dec 2013, p.84]