O - Damien Rice
9.0

Review this album

1. Nov 22, 2011
    Spectacular debut from the Irish troubadour. Tracks 1-6 are beautifully delicate love songs that are just the soundtrack to falling/being blindly in love. Things turn bitter and dark on Cheers Darling which is one of the highlights for me. I Remember is a good snapshot of what this album is all about - soft, gentle and adoring on one side, angry, bitter and jilted on the other. LisaSpectacular debut from the Irish troubadour. Tracks 1-6 are beautifully delicate love songs that are just the soundtrack to falling/being blindly in love. Things turn bitter and dark on Cheers Darling which is one of the highlights for me. I Remember is a good snapshot of what this album is all about - soft, gentle and adoring on one side, angry, bitter and jilted on the other. Lisa Hannigan's vocals compliment Rice fantastically throughout and their harmonies and arrangements are the soul of the record. Eskimo brings things to an operatic end - absolute genius. If you take that to be the end of the album then it's perfect. I'm not sure how much value the hidden tracks Prague and Silent Night add to the record. Prague gives a taste of what was to come on his follow up 9 and Silent Night is just a showcase of Hanigans solo vocals. Expand
  2. Aug 6, 2011
    One of the greatest debuts (and albums) to come around in a very long time. Any positive word directed towards this won't do it a bit of justice. I saw Damien and the Frames in Kansas City on this tour. I was speechless.
  3. Sep 21, 2014
    This is totally heartbraking, one of the greatest debuts ever. Amazing album, from the soft ''Delicate'' to the magnificent ''Eskimo''. Damien Rice is one of the best living songwriters. Minimal but great sound. Best tracks: ''The blower's daughter'', ''Cannonbal'', ''Older Chests'', "I Rembemer"..... no! All the tracks are amazing, I can't choose the best ones. Awesome.
  4. Nov 18, 2014
    Not a very diverse album.
    O's songs don't have the emotional connection of an album like For Emma by Bon Iver and in places feels quite repetitive. The lyrics and tone are wonderful though.

Minimalist folk rock in its purest form.
  2. You can actually hear the moment when the album turns sour.
  3. Lush, impossibly mature.