Only By The Night - Kings of Leon
6.8

Review this album

1. Oct 21, 2010
    def the worst album outta the five though its far from bad. still some great songs on this album, sex on fire, cold desert, manhattan, crawl and i want you are great kings songs.
  2. Mar 4, 2011
    kol have made a great soft rock album here. i do prefer the earlier sound but bands change, thats what bands do. Crawl, i want you, manhattan, cold desert and revlery are the stand out tracks.
  3. Feb 15, 2012
    Alot of people probably think this is where KOL went downhill but I disagree. Yes it's more soft rock and radio friendly than their previous efforts but it's still full of strong tracks. If the singles of this hadn't been played to death U2 style, it would have a lot more credibility as a record. It's inevitable that the more mainstream fans you gain the more alternative ones you lose. KOLAlot of people probably think this is where KOL went downhill but I disagree. Yes it's more soft rock and radio friendly than their previous efforts but it's still full of strong tracks. If the singles of this hadn't been played to death U2 style, it would have a lot more credibility as a record. It's inevitable that the more mainstream fans you gain the more alternative ones you lose. KOL were laughing all the way to the bank with this but it doesn't make it a bad record. While you'll be sick of the sound of Sex on Fire and Use Somebody, tracks like Closer, Manhatten,Be Somebody and I Want You are up there with their best work. Expand
  4. Oct 11, 2013
    Simply brilliant. All of the band's albums before this were genius and nothing has changed. Only by the Night is diverse and unique. Each track is totally different and it will be known as one of the best rock albums of our generation. It's truly one of the best albums I have ever heard by one of the best bands I have ever heard. Well done, Kings of Leon. My favorite tracks are BeSimply brilliant. All of the band's albums before this were genius and nothing has changed. Only by the Night is diverse and unique. Each track is totally different and it will be known as one of the best rock albums of our generation. It's truly one of the best albums I have ever heard by one of the best bands I have ever heard. Well done, Kings of Leon. My favorite tracks are Be Somebody, Closer, Crawl, Notion, Cold Desert and Revelry. Expand
  5. Jun 29, 2012
    A very solid alternative rock album. Yes its sound is much more commercial then their previous efforts but to that I'd say, "so what". If an album is good it's good. An there is nothing wrong with change, those who alienate them were never really fans to begin with. Crawl is unequivocally the best song on this Lp.

Only By The Night is best viewed as a transitional record from a band who have quite literally done their growing up in public. [Oct 2008, p.98]
  2. The dreamy 'Cold Desert' is the perfect maudlin end to this short, sharp, 42-minute, no-filler album, revelling in every miserable blues-rocker cliché as Matthew's guitar goes all shoegazey and then briefly threatens to turn the whole thing into a 'Purple Rain' wig-out.
  3. As it is, it's a very fine record from a band who are seemingly growing in stature, confidence, and ability by the day.