• Record Label: Atlantic
  • Release Date: Apr 9, 2013
8.1

Review this album

1. Jan 16, 2015
    When I first got into Paramore I was obsessed with this album now that I've listened to all four albums I've realized how crappy this is, don't get me wrong it's a great pop album, but God awful Paramore album, the only reason I'm rating it this high is because there are a few good songs, and I feel sorry for them.
  2. Sep 2, 2014
    "Paramore" is not so Paramore... New direction and new sound with this one as well. This album is proof that the Farro brothers were the biggest and most important part of the band's writing process since they but mainly Josh composed all the music (this is a fact and is actually documented in Paramore videos and interviews) and Hayley would write lyrics to them. They lost their signature"Paramore" is not so Paramore... New direction and new sound with this one as well. This album is proof that the Farro brothers were the biggest and most important part of the band's writing process since they but mainly Josh composed all the music (this is a fact and is actually documented in Paramore videos and interviews) and Hayley would write lyrics to them. They lost their signature sound and their unique feel. Everyone is trying to defend the band by saying they have evolved etc. No. Don't get me wrong I'm all for evolution bur "Evolve" is one thing and "Change" is another... They've changed not evolved. They evolved from "All We Know Is Falling" to "Riot!". From "Riot!" to "Brand New Eyes". Even from "Brand New Eyes" to "Singles Club". This album is "Change", period. It's just a different band to me and not just because of their music but also because of their image,direction and overall musical approach. And one last thing to everyone praising everything they put out and saying Part II is their best song, LET-THE-FLAMES-BEGIN. Expand
  3. Jul 19, 2013
    Experimentation gone wrong, or a loss of talent? To tell the truth. I have no idea which one it could be. But what I do know is that this is easily Paramore's worst album to date. I do agree though with TheeGoth's review where they say that the album sounds like like they tried too hard to prove that they can be creative without the Farro bros and it just all came out sounding terrible. InExperimentation gone wrong, or a loss of talent? To tell the truth. I have no idea which one it could be. But what I do know is that this is easily Paramore's worst album to date. I do agree though with TheeGoth's review where they say that the album sounds like like they tried too hard to prove that they can be creative without the Farro bros and it just all came out sounding terrible. In fact, Now is the only decent song on there imho. This the only one of Paramore's albums where the critics seem to hold it in high regard (Fore some reason I don't understand) but is being panned by almost all of their fans as the worst. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind when a band changes their sound up a bit, but I do mind when a band all but abandons their sound. Paramore have forged their identity with their power-pop-punk style, so of course they would face a backlash from their most hardcore fans. All I can say is that fans make the band, not the other way around. Paramore would do well to listen to the backlash before it's too late, because really, it's sad when a band with so much talent squander it just making radio friendly music because they have no idea what else to do. Expand
  4. May 20, 2013
    Over compensation looks to be what went wrong with Paramore's eponymous album. It really seems like Hayley tried way too hard to prove she can be creative without Zac and Josh and it all just came out as sounding like an explosion of overproduced pop and faux-folk/indie. In fact, the Taylor Swift-esque 'diss' lyrics of the majority of songs is a major turn off and the opposite of theOver compensation looks to be what went wrong with Paramore's eponymous album. It really seems like Hayley tried way too hard to prove she can be creative without Zac and Josh and it all just came out as sounding like an explosion of overproduced pop and faux-folk/indie. In fact, the Taylor Swift-esque 'diss' lyrics of the majority of songs is a major turn off and the opposite of the supposed 'moving on' message of the album. I can applaud the thought, but not the execution. That said, there is no semblance of maturity or evolution here. Brand New Eyes was more like what a 'mature' and 'evolved' Paramore should sound like. Like one critic here said, evolution should never come at the expense of identity. The only songs I found to be worth anything were Now, Part II, Anklebiters and, as a guilty pleasure, Fast In My Car. For anyone looking for Paramore's old sound, look into the bonus songs Native Tongue and Escape Route that were only released in Japan. Expand
  5. May 19, 2013
    I made an account here just to do a review for this album since the vast majority of reviews seem to be little more than "This is Paramore's best album ever and if you don't like it then you're just a closed-minded hater". This is easily Paramore's worst album to date. Not only have they gone so far away from their true sound that they're barely recognizable but the entire album just seemsI made an account here just to do a review for this album since the vast majority of reviews seem to be little more than "This is Paramore's best album ever and if you don't like it then you're just a closed-minded hater". This is easily Paramore's worst album to date. Not only have they gone so far away from their true sound that they're barely recognizable but the entire album just seems to forced and fake that it's not even funny. Every song sounds like the record producers put a gun to their heads and forced them to make crappy mainstream pop songs. There isn't one song on there that I couldn't imagine a pop star from today also doing. This is not evolution, this is not change for the better, this is not maturing, this just sucks and as a long time fan it hurts to have to say these things. How anybody can give this more than maybe a 5 (And I'm being generous with that one) I don't know. It's better to save your money and listen to it on youtube or just go out and buy another copy of Riot instead. I hope to God that this isn't what their new sound is gonna be. 2/10 Expand
  6. May 18, 2013
    There are two types of bands in this world: Those who evolve and those who change. Paramore's self titled album is a prime example of what happens when a band changes.

Let's be honest here, at least a good portion of fans bought this album expecting to hear the sound which made Paramore great, the fast rifts and in your face attitude. If you haven't gotten the idea from reading thus far, I'll spell it out for you; if you're going into buying it expecting to hear the successor to "Riot!" and "Brand New Eyes" (Nevermind "All We Know Is Falling"), you're going to be sorely sorely disappointed. The first single, "Now", is more or less what one would expect if the band had announced that they were working with Avril Lavigne's producer; glimpses of Paramore's signature pop-punk sound with very poppy overtones. The track itself however isn't all that bad, but would really only be considered filler if it were on any of their previous albums. This bring us to the second single, "Still Into You". "Still Into You" presents a radical departure from anything even remotely close to the old Paramore sound and what seems to have made 95% of Paramore fans fly into a rage. With this one, Paramore evidently wanted to channel their inner Katy Perry from everything from the overall sound to the video in itself in a completely serious manner. In fact, the only way it could sound poppier is if Ms. Perry herself were featured in it. I don't wish to get into a debate on whether or not the Farro brothers' departure from the band are what caused this change or who is/was the true creative force in Paramore, but I will say that just about every song seems to be, or at least contain, a cheap stab at them in one way or another that would make Taylor Swift say "Not bad".

The album is not without it's hidden gems however, as songs like "Anklebiters" and "Part II" present a sound one would expect if this sudden change were instead foreshadowed in their last album, a more balanced pop-punk/power pop combo and are relatively decent tracks. Aside from that, however, most of the songs on the track seem to echo my thoughts on "Now" in having a very pop overtone to them, but are mostly unremarkable. Other songs however are more Indie inclined and contain things from a ukulele and a choir, among other things, but the overall album is still pretty pop sounding. For some reason I can't fathom, this album seems to be being pushed as the quintessential sound of a bands maturity and progress, when it's really anything but.

All in all I'm saddened to say that this blundered experimental album is the only Paramore album that I have had to force myself to listen to in its entirety, and that's only because I was desperately trying to find more than two songs that actually sounded like Paramore to keep myself from relapsing into the deep depression my medication tries so hard to fend off. This album really is a dividing line between fans, as you can only really either love it or hate it. Hardcore fans will cry blood, casual fans will wonder when Kelly Clarkson and Avril Lavigne gave birth to their lovechild and why they're in Paramore now, but new fans will be attracted to it's mainstream radio friendly electro-power pop sound. If you're truly thinking about running out and buying this album, I'd give it a listen in it's entirety on the Web first to make sure that it's your cup of tea unless the place you buy it from has a return policy.

I personally dislike this album very very very very much (I say this to avoid using the word 'hate'), and I really hope that this isn't a permanent change and that Paramore will be back and better than ever next time and that whoever told them that going in this direction was a great idea be hung from a tree and beaten like a piñata.

I'm giving this album a very deserving 4/10.
  7. Apr 30, 2013
    I've struggled to listen and get into this album. It feels like the band moved backward into the arms of less mature fans. The lyrics strongly resemble an angry and bitter trio. If all the songs are about how you were burned by the previous members, then maybe you haven't exactly moved on. The lyrics are also poor quality, which makes me feel bad because Hayley Williams is soI've struggled to listen and get into this album. It feels like the band moved backward into the arms of less mature fans. The lyrics strongly resemble an angry and bitter trio. If all the songs are about how you were burned by the previous members, then maybe you haven't exactly moved on. The lyrics are also poor quality, which makes me feel bad because Hayley Williams is so likeable. Your band should grow, your lyrics should get better, and your music. A better move would have not written an entire album around a feud. and gotten creative. This is by far the worst Paramore album yet. Which makes me worry for their future. There are moments when I'm not sure if I accidentally bought a Taylor swift album. Hayley Williams said she didn't want brand new eyes pt. 2 but honestly. That would have been better. They were trying way too hard and it shows. I was really hoping they would really prove themselves..and I guess they did but not how I was hoping, Expand
  8. Apr 22, 2013
    How on earth did this sub par album get such critical acclaim? It's very, very mediocre. As I believe, this album has disappointed quite a few Paramore fans and I'm always wary when critics and fans think very differently. Listen to Last Hope, Proof, Hate To See Your Heart Break and Future for the best of it, but the rest is middle of road mid tempo rock.
  9. Apr 11, 2013
    VinceOnAPlane summed this album up PERFECTLY. Read his review. I joined this site for the sole purpose of publicly agreeing with him.

No idea what critics are listening to when they review this album, because it stinks beyond belief. I am beyond disappointed with this cd. They should have changed the name of the band because this isn't paramore. If James and Lars left Metallica

They should have changed the name of the band because this isn't paramore. If James and Lars left Metallica and Kirk and Rob started to add dubstep and keep the name Metallica..... this is what paramore's album is equivalent to.

Garbage.
  10. Apr 10, 2013
    There are two types of Paramore fans. There's the ones who took a liking to the band's unique sound I have dubbed "playful aggression." Then there's the fans who are generally oblivious to the music they're listening to, and will religiously listen to anything mainstream media classifies as hip or edgy. In this album it is blatantly apparent that Hayley Williams was NOT the drivingThere are two types of Paramore fans. There's the ones who took a liking to the band's unique sound I have dubbed "playful aggression." Then there's the fans who are generally oblivious to the music they're listening to, and will religiously listen to anything mainstream media classifies as hip or edgy. In this album it is blatantly apparent that Hayley Williams was NOT the driving force behind Paramore. It was clearly the Farro brothers all along, Josh's song writing and Zac's unbelievably creative drumming.

That being said, if you liked Paramore for their old sound, this album is going to disappoint you like nothing you've ever heard before. They can call this a "step in a new direction" or an "evolution" all you want, but the lyrics take plenty of stabs at the Farro brothers if you listen carefully. You call that a new direction? I call that childish, dwelling on the past and completely unnecessary.

I'm really not sure what album the critics are listening to. I'm willing to bet all of them had their review written based on "Now" and didn't take the time to listen to the entire album. This might go down as one of the most disappointing album releases in this era of music, considering how high they set the bar with Riot. Brand New Eyes was a good follow-up, but this? The only time I will ever listen to this album again is to let others hear how hard a good band can fold when you lose a guitarist and a drummer that were clearly the driving force behind the band.
  11. Apr 10, 2013
    Many things i could say about this album, paramore isn't the band we used to know anymore. Now, Part II, and maybe one or two tracks more are worth it, the rest is another thing, another genre, a reincarnation of MJ sometimes.. Riot was a 9, brand new eyes was a 6, Paramore definitely is worst than that...
  12. Apr 9, 2013
    Electronic? Or just messed up? Probably both...First of all, the album has too many useless, droning songs. Secondly, the racy Paramore I knew were gone. Not that I am complaining about it, but that Hayley Williams is singing silly boring lyrics. And where is the power pop? Some good songs...but too long and too calm...
  13. Apr 9, 2013
    It's a shame when bands move too far from their original sound and genre. Afterall, it is the reason that we listened to them in the first place. There are a couple of good songs on this album, "Part II", "Ain't it Fun" (only new sound that I liked) and "Still in to you"(hate it's intro though).

The rest however, are a huge let down. I was hoping for the usual racy, fun and energetic punk pop/rock that Paramore are famous for but we unfortunately got simplistic riffs, electronica fillers, pointless lyrics..

I was hoping for some growth and maturity from this band seeing it is their 4th album. Instead it appears we are treated to yet another band who has sold out on it's fans to make themselves more mainstream and appeal to a wider audience.

A parade of beige pop numbers that even Taylor Swift would turn down for being too generic. [May 2013, p.86]
  2. May 3, 2013
    Paramore is both the band’s most polished and messiest album, which somehow pays off.
  3. Apr 30, 2013