• Record Label: Atlantic
  • Release Date: Apr 9, 2013
8.1

Review this album

1. Apr 10, 2013
    Some of the criticism fans have been laying against this album is just ridiculous. If anything, Paramore has blossomed musically with this album, which is easily their best. The sound is so diverse, there's more than just guitars and electronica: there's ukeleles, string sections, harmonicas and even a gospel choir. If that's not ambition I don't know what is. Maybe it's their lyrics,Some of the criticism fans have been laying against this album is just ridiculous. If anything, Paramore has blossomed musically with this album, which is easily their best. The sound is so diverse, there's more than just guitars and electronica: there's ukeleles, string sections, harmonicas and even a gospel choir. If that's not ambition I don't know what is. Maybe it's their lyrics, there's many songs that reflect on their troubles with Farros but they're also declaring that they're moving on and willing to try new things. Highlights include Part II, Still into You, Ain't It Fun and Future. After all the drama Paramore's faced over the last three years, they've come out the other side as a multi-dimensional band who's willing to push their own limits, marking their greatest artistic statement. Expand
  2. Oct 13, 2013
    Paramore might have lost some of their "Paramonsters" during the Farro brothers' controversial split from the Tennessian band and through their transition out of their wishy-washy pop-punk sound. But let's be honest, this has simply strengthened the band's mainstream success as well as their overall personality and sound. Although the self-titled album may not always be as honest as itParamore might have lost some of their "Paramonsters" during the Farro brothers' controversial split from the Tennessian band and through their transition out of their wishy-washy pop-punk sound. But let's be honest, this has simply strengthened the band's mainstream success as well as their overall personality and sound. Although the self-titled album may not always be as honest as it implies itself to be, it's never short of bold, broadening their sound into territories such as R&B, funk, Motown, and folk, which should earn the band an all new respect from the hipsters in the music. And yet their initial sound is still easy to find and the charm never dies. Hayley Williams' vocals are some of the finest in the industry and the album could very well be considered her own solo debut album. Although lead single "Now" musically lacks the charisma the rest of the album glorifies, it's still an awesome introduction. "Grow Up" and "Ain't It Fun" are obviously an opposition to the Farro brothers' controversial statements on how "manufactured" the band and Williams are, and it comes out more successful than one would think. While 60s inspired songs "Hate to See Your Heart Break" and "One of Those (Crazy Girls)" are warm to the ears, "Still into You" was specifically tailored for top 40 radio and yet it still sounds so fun and natural (the way pop should be). So in general, it may not cling to longtime lovers of their more genuine yet formulaic punk-esque sound, most audiences should find it to be a mature yet charming and young entry into the band's promising career. Expand
  3. Oct 25, 2013
    This album is different for sure, but its so diverse and well written that its a fantastic listen, there is a song for anyone, whether you want electro-pop, rock, country, funk, its a step in the right direction for paramore
  4. Nov 7, 2013
    Paramore became something totally right, well crafted and between the lines, when everything everyone loved about them was that they were stripped, misfits and bold.
  5. Jul 21, 2014
    Na minha opinião melhor álbum do Paramore, com músicas geniais, batida perfeitas, tudo pra ser um CD icônico, eles melhoraram muito ao longo do tempo, até chegar a esse som maduro e muito bom.
  6. Jul 11, 2013
    Even being so pop, they know how to make music. An excellent album with excellent songs since the gospel choired 'Ain't it Fun' until the pop ballad '(One of Those) Crazy Girls', passing by the rock of 'Now' and 'Anklebiters'.
  7. May 18, 2013
    There are two types of bands in this world: Those who evolve and those who change. Paramore's self titled album is a prime example of what happens when a band changes.

Let's be honest here, at least a good portion of fans bought this album expecting to hear the sound which made Paramore great, the fast rifts and in your face attitude. If you haven't gotten the idea from reading thus far, I'll spell it out for you; if you're going into buying it expecting to hear the successor to "Riot!" and "Brand New Eyes" (Nevermind "All We Know Is Falling"), you're going to be sorely sorely disappointed. The first single, "Now", is more or less what one would expect if the band had announced that they were working with Avril Lavigne's producer; glimpses of Paramore's signature pop-punk sound with very poppy overtones. The track itself however isn't all that bad, but would really only be considered filler if it were on any of their previous albums. This bring us to the second single, "Still Into You". "Still Into You" presents a radical departure from anything even remotely close to the old Paramore sound and what seems to have made 95% of Paramore fans fly into a rage. With this one, Paramore evidently wanted to channel their inner Katy Perry from everything from the overall sound to the video in itself in a completely serious manner. In fact, the only way it could sound poppier is if Ms. Perry herself were featured in it. I don't wish to get into a debate on whether or not the Farro brothers' departure from the band are what caused this change or who is/was the true creative force in Paramore, but I will say that just about every song seems to be, or at least contain, a cheap stab at them in one way or another that would make Taylor Swift say "Not bad".

The album is not without it's hidden gems however, as songs like "Anklebiters" and "Part II" present a sound one would expect if this sudden change were instead foreshadowed in their last album, a more balanced pop-punk/power pop combo and are relatively decent tracks. Aside from that, however, most of the songs on the track seem to echo my thoughts on "Now" in having a very pop overtone to them, but are mostly unremarkable. Other songs however are more Indie inclined and contain things from a ukulele and a choir, among other things, but the overall album is still pretty pop sounding. For some reason I can't fathom, this album seems to be being pushed as the quintessential sound of a bands maturity and progress, when it's really anything but.

All in all I'm saddened to say that this blundered experimental album is the only Paramore album that I have had to force myself to listen to in its entirety, and that's only because I was desperately trying to find more than two songs that actually sounded like Paramore to keep myself from relapsing into the deep depression my medication tries so hard to fend off. This album really is a dividing line between fans, as you can only really either love it or hate it. Hardcore fans will cry blood, casual fans will wonder when Kelly Clarkson and Avril Lavigne gave birth to their lovechild and why they're in Paramore now, but new fans will be attracted to it's mainstream radio friendly electro-power pop sound. If you're truly thinking about running out and buying this album, I'd give it a listen in it's entirety on the Web first to make sure that it's your cup of tea unless the place you buy it from has a return policy.

I personally dislike this album very very very very much (I say this to avoid using the word 'hate'), and I really hope that this isn't a permanent change and that Paramore will be back and better than ever next time and that whoever told them that going in this direction was a great idea be hung from a tree and beaten like a piñata.

I'm giving this album a very deserving 4/10.
  8. Apr 22, 2013
    How on earth did this sub par album get such critical acclaim? It's very, very mediocre. As I believe, this album has disappointed quite a few Paramore fans and I'm always wary when critics and fans think very differently. Listen to Last Hope, Proof, Hate To See Your Heart Break and Future for the best of it, but the rest is middle of road mid tempo rock.
  9. Apr 9, 2013
    Electronic? Or just messed up? Probably both...First of all, the album has too many useless, droning songs. Secondly, the racy Paramore I knew were gone. Not that I am complaining about it, but that Hayley Williams is singing silly boring lyrics. And where is the power pop? Some good songs...but too long and too calm...
  10. Apr 30, 2013
    I've struggled to listen and get into this album. It feels like the band moved backward into the arms of less mature fans. The lyrics strongly resemble an angry and bitter trio. If all the songs are about how you were burned by the previous members, then maybe you haven't exactly moved on. The lyrics are also poor quality, which makes me feel bad because Hayley Williams is soI've struggled to listen and get into this album. It feels like the band moved backward into the arms of less mature fans. The lyrics strongly resemble an angry and bitter trio. If all the songs are about how you were burned by the previous members, then maybe you haven't exactly moved on. The lyrics are also poor quality, which makes me feel bad because Hayley Williams is so likeable. Your band should grow, your lyrics should get better, and your music. A better move would have not written an entire album around a feud. and gotten creative. This is by far the worst Paramore album yet. Which makes me worry for their future. There are moments when I'm not sure if I accidentally bought a Taylor swift album. Hayley Williams said she didn't want brand new eyes pt. 2 but honestly. That would have been better. They were trying way too hard and it shows. I was really hoping they would really prove themselves..and I guess they did but not how I was hoping, Expand
  11. Apr 9, 2013
    This got an 84 and Riot got a 67? Wow... critics are dumb as hell.
    Riot is so much better than this electronic-crap.
    Vocals are edited so much on a lot of the songs that it's pure annoying with her voice.
    Drums have improved since the last CD though.
  12. Apr 22, 2013
    I was waiting for one of the tracks to kick into the pop-punk awesomeness that was a hallmark of Riot, but it never happened. Not my style at all, but I can see where it can be appealing. I'm sorry to see them move away from a style that made them what they are. Innovation is good, but not at the expense of your identity.
  13. May 19, 2013
    I made an account here just to do a review for this album since the vast majority of reviews seem to be little more than "This is Paramore's best album ever and if you don't like it then you're just a closed-minded hater". This is easily Paramore's worst album to date. Not only have they gone so far away from their true sound that they're barely recognizable but the entire album just seemsI made an account here just to do a review for this album since the vast majority of reviews seem to be little more than "This is Paramore's best album ever and if you don't like it then you're just a closed-minded hater". This is easily Paramore's worst album to date. Not only have they gone so far away from their true sound that they're barely recognizable but the entire album just seems to forced and fake that it's not even funny. Every song sounds like the record producers put a gun to their heads and forced them to make crappy mainstream pop songs. There isn't one song on there that I couldn't imagine a pop star from today also doing. This is not evolution, this is not change for the better, this is not maturing, this just sucks and as a long time fan it hurts to have to say these things. How anybody can give this more than maybe a 5 (And I'm being generous with that one) I don't know. It's better to save your money and listen to it on youtube or just go out and buy another copy of Riot instead. I hope to God that this isn't what their new sound is gonna be. 2/10 Expand
  14. May 20, 2013
    Over compensation looks to be what went wrong with Paramore's eponymous album. It really seems like Hayley tried way too hard to prove she can be creative without Zac and Josh and it all just came out as sounding like an explosion of overproduced pop and faux-folk/indie. In fact, the Taylor Swift-esque 'diss' lyrics of the majority of songs is a major turn off and the opposite of theOver compensation looks to be what went wrong with Paramore's eponymous album. It really seems like Hayley tried way too hard to prove she can be creative without Zac and Josh and it all just came out as sounding like an explosion of overproduced pop and faux-folk/indie. In fact, the Taylor Swift-esque 'diss' lyrics of the majority of songs is a major turn off and the opposite of the supposed 'moving on' message of the album. I can applaud the thought, but not the execution. That said, there is no semblance of maturity or evolution here. Brand New Eyes was more like what a 'mature' and 'evolved' Paramore should sound like. Like one critic here said, evolution should never come at the expense of identity. The only songs I found to be worth anything were Now, Part II, Anklebiters and, as a guilty pleasure, Fast In My Car. For anyone looking for Paramore's old sound, look into the bonus songs Native Tongue and Escape Route that were only released in Japan. Expand
  15. Jun 3, 2013
    This album too a while to grow on me. After listening through it about a dozen times and seeing most of it preformed live i can say this album is better then a lot say it is. Yes it is very different, but this change is like a breath of fresh air. I can't say i love every song on this album hence the rating of 9 but i can say that the songs i do like pull me in and leave me wanting moreThis album too a while to grow on me. After listening through it about a dozen times and seeing most of it preformed live i can say this album is better then a lot say it is. Yes it is very different, but this change is like a breath of fresh air. I can't say i love every song on this album hence the rating of 9 but i can say that the songs i do like pull me in and leave me wanting more every time. So before you write this off as a bad album give it a listen and try and see if you can adapt to this new twist on Paramore. Expand
  16. Apr 10, 2013
    Many things i could say about this album, paramore isn't the band we used to know anymore. Now, Part II, and maybe one or two tracks more are worth it, the rest is another thing, another genre, a reincarnation of MJ sometimes.. Riot was a 9, brand new eyes was a 6, Paramore definitely is worst than that...
  17. Apr 10, 2013
    There are two types of Paramore fans. There's the ones who took a liking to the band's unique sound I have dubbed "playful aggression." Then there's the fans who are generally oblivious to the music they're listening to, and will religiously listen to anything mainstream media classifies as hip or edgy. In this album it is blatantly apparent that Hayley Williams was NOT the drivingThere are two types of Paramore fans. There's the ones who took a liking to the band's unique sound I have dubbed "playful aggression." Then there's the fans who are generally oblivious to the music they're listening to, and will religiously listen to anything mainstream media classifies as hip or edgy. In this album it is blatantly apparent that Hayley Williams was NOT the driving force behind Paramore. It was clearly the Farro brothers all along, Josh's song writing and Zac's unbelievably creative drumming.

That being said, if you liked Paramore for their old sound, this album is going to disappoint you like nothing you've ever heard before. They can call this a "step in a new direction" or an "evolution" all you want, but the lyrics take plenty of stabs at the Farro brothers if you listen carefully. You call that a new direction? I call that childish, dwelling on the past and completely unnecessary.

I'm really not sure what album the critics are listening to. I'm willing to bet all of them had their review written based on "Now" and didn't take the time to listen to the entire album. This might go down as one of the most disappointing album releases in this era of music, considering how high they set the bar with Riot. Brand New Eyes was a good follow-up, but this? The only time I will ever listen to this album again is to let others hear how hard a good band can fold when you lose a guitarist and a drummer that were clearly the driving force behind the band.
  18. Apr 9, 2013
    I've never been the biggest Paramore fan but have always been a huge fan of their singles but the albums never really appealed to me. Whilst too long this album delivers a number of triumphant tracks and should be listened to anybody with even the slightest interest in hooky guitar tracks and even those up for some variety as Paramore expand their horizons on this release. Shame it's soI've never been the biggest Paramore fan but have always been a huge fan of their singles but the albums never really appealed to me. Whilst too long this album delivers a number of triumphant tracks and should be listened to anybody with even the slightest interest in hooky guitar tracks and even those up for some variety as Paramore expand their horizons on this release. Shame it's so long, it could easily do with being 3 or 4 songs shorter. Expand
  19. Apr 9, 2013
    It's a shame when bands move too far from their original sound and genre. Afterall, it is the reason that we listened to them in the first place. There are a couple of good songs on this album, "Part II", "Ain't it Fun" (only new sound that I liked) and "Still in to you"(hate it's intro though).

The rest however, are a huge let down. I was hoping for the usual racy, fun and energetic punk pop/rock that Paramore are famous for but we unfortunately got simplistic riffs, electronica fillers, pointless lyrics..

I was hoping for some growth and maturity from this band seeing it is their 4th album. Instead it appears we are treated to yet another band who has sold out on it's fans to make themselves more mainstream and appeal to a wider audience.
  20. Apr 9, 2013
    Great Album. Waiting for a long time for their new songs. And finally, they delivered best music of their life. And have they changed? They tried to show the variety in their music with this album and we can hope that they know what works for them and make similar music in future albums. My favorite track from the album is 'Still Into You'. Hayley's vocal prowess is a show-off in thatGreat Album. Waiting for a long time for their new songs. And finally, they delivered best music of their life. And have they changed? They tried to show the variety in their music with this album and we can hope that they know what works for them and make similar music in future albums. My favorite track from the album is 'Still Into You'. Hayley's vocal prowess is a show-off in that track and the music is quite catchy too. Expand
  21. Apr 11, 2013
    VinceOnAPlane summed this album up PERFECTLY. Read his review. I joined this site for the sole purpose of publicly agreeing with him.

No idea what critics are listening to when they review this album, because it stinks beyond belief. I am beyond disappointed with this cd. They should have changed the name of the band because this isn't paramore. If James and Lars left Metallica

They should have changed the name of the band because this isn't paramore. If James and Lars left Metallica and Kirk and Rob started to add dubstep and keep the name Metallica..... this is what paramore's album is equivalent to.

Garbage.
  22. May 11, 2013
    Ya know, i really like Paramore, but this is not their best work. Its good, but not thier best. Also, sorry Paramore i think Tonight Alive is my new favorite Female Vocal band. Jenna McDougal
  23. Apr 12, 2013
    This is is their best release to date, in my opinion. It shows maturity, growth, and more feeling. Paramore is hear to stay, folks. It shows that they can do it without the Farros. It showcases Hayley's songwriting skills. It's a great album, worth picking up at the store or for downloading.
  24. Apr 9, 2013
    Paramore is back and better than ever! Paramore's self-titled album is utterly brilliant and filled with a diversity of music, in fact this album is actually much, much better than the other albums that Paramore has released. This album would have got a flawless 10 out of 10 rating if some songs were just a little bit better, but that aside, this album is fantastic. There will be someParamore is back and better than ever! Paramore's self-titled album is utterly brilliant and filled with a diversity of music, in fact this album is actually much, much better than the other albums that Paramore has released. This album would have got a flawless 10 out of 10 rating if some songs were just a little bit better, but that aside, this album is fantastic. There will be some Paramore fans upset with their departure from teen rock, but this album brings a more creativity and experiment sound to their discography, and it's brilliant. I highly recommend this album and I hope for more albums like this in the future. Expand
  25. May 4, 2013
    This is easily one of the more talked about & one of the most polarizing albums of 2013 so far, and not without good reason. Between 2/5 band members leaving, this being their first album in 4 years & more importantly showing a significant change in sound, division among fan reception would be inevitable. Fortunately what we’ve gotten is their most ambitious, mature & diverse album toThis is easily one of the more talked about & one of the most polarizing albums of 2013 so far, and not without good reason. Between 2/5 band members leaving, this being their first album in 4 years & more importantly showing a significant change in sound, division among fan reception would be inevitable. Fortunately what we’ve gotten is their most ambitious, mature & diverse album to date, and in my opinion their best, even above Riot!. At 17 tracks and 63 minutes long (19 tracks & 70 minutes if you include the bonus tracks) it’s quite easy to make an album of such length feel bogged down or redundant. But Paramore manages to engage the listener throughout the whole length, mainly because of the aforementioned diversity. The band zig-zags from one sound or style or feeling to another between tracks in a way that makes every track notable to some degree, and there’s no sign of filler to be found. One interesting recurring element here is a trio of interludes that appear at different points throughout. Basically they’re 1-minute pseudo-lo-fi acoustic songs that couldn’t have been stretched to a more “full” length. This was a good move, as restricting them to the standard pop structure might’ve bogged them down a bit. Unquestionably the most controversial song here is the most recent single “Still into You”, which people are accusing of being too poppy, and even the ever-overused term “sellout” has been thrown around. And to those claiming this is “meant for the Katy Perry crap tween girl audience” or whatever I have to ask... are you listening to these lyrics? They very clearly detail a long-term & mature relationship. Not exactly “Hey I just met you & this is crazy”. Heck, if anything this is a song for old people. But with that defensiveness out of the way, this is a great song. It’s an unabashedly bubblegummy power-pop tune with a nice guitar riff, infectious melodies & the aforementioned sweet & sincere message. This album in general seems to center lyrically on moving forward, looking to the future rather than hanging onto the past (like certain “fans” should do...), and being happy in your current situation. They’re not exactly angsty teenagers anymore. And they even at times come off very self-aware of how alienating these changes can be to a closed-minded fanbase, especially in tracks like “Grow Up”, “Anklebiters” & “Future”, where in the former the general message is summed up in the titular line “Some up of have to grow up sometimes If I have to I’m gonna leave you behind” as well as pretty much every line in the first verse. It displays the honest frustration an evolving musician experiences when people whine about them not being exactly the same as they were 7 years ago. But at the same time they manage to appreciate the past at times, like in “Part II” which is a pretty clear sequel to “Let the Flames Begin” from Riot!, and in my opinion surpasses it in quality. The 8-minute monster of a closing track (on the standard edition) Future is easily my favorite track here. The first couple minutes are fairly simple & intimate, comprising of an acoustic guitar, harmonica & Hayley singing about the titular & aforementioned themes of not living in the past. But then slowly but surely it builds into the last 5 minutes, a fantastic instrumental that rides a slow & heavy (for Paramore) groove driven by pounding drums, deep basslines & huge wailing guitar leads. As for other notable tracks, there’s the soft & sensitive ballad “Hate to See Your Heart Break”, the goofy & kinda funny “(One of Those) Crazy Girls”, the keyboard & gospel-tinged “Ain’t It Fun” & those looking for “classic” Paramore can find that in bonus tracks “Native Tongue” & “Escape Route”, which the band said they purposefully left off because it didn’t fit with the stylistic growth of the rest of the album. Overall I was pretty much blown away by this album. It’s a fantastic comeback that shows the band at their most creative & uncompromising.

Top 5 tracks: Future, Still into You, Grow Up, Ain’t It Fun, Now
    Score: 94/100
  26. Apr 13, 2013
    The release of rock group Paramore’s eponymous fourth album is going to be scrutinized even more than usual due to the very public loss of two of the band’s founding members, brothers Josh and Zac Farro. The Tennessee band- whose previous hit, “The Only Exception”, earned them a Grammy nomination- is now reduced to Hayley Williams on vocals, Taylor York on guitar, and Jeremy Davis on bass.The release of rock group Paramore’s eponymous fourth album is going to be scrutinized even more than usual due to the very public loss of two of the band’s founding members, brothers Josh and Zac Farro. The Tennessee band- whose previous hit, “The Only Exception”, earned them a Grammy nomination- is now reduced to Hayley Williams on vocals, Taylor York on guitar, and Jeremy Davis on bass. However, the band is one to take a licking and keep on ticking, as proved by their 2009 effort “Brand New Eyes” and this new record.

“Fast In My Car” kicks off the album with a hardcore percussive beat and immediately addresses the behind the scenes drama with lyrics like, “The three of us were initiates/We had to learn how to deal/And when we spotted a second chance/We had to learn how to steal”, just to name a few. “Now”, the album’s first single, is a pure head-banger, while at the same time recalling good old Paramore tracks like “Misery Business”.

Williams’ fiery vocals are here in spades, but aren’t as in-your-face as with their other albums. She gives her fellow bandmates spots to shine, though that’s not to say she doesn’t pull through- quite the opposite. Her performance on “Paramore” is much more emotionally driven than something like “That’s What You Get”, or “Brick By Boring Brick”: songs that were written and performed as heavy attacks. It’s clear that the Farros’ departure has affected not only Williams’ songwriting, but her drive as well, which is especially clear on songs like “Ain’t It Fun”, which has Williams sharing the stage with a full-fledged choir, “Hate To See Your Heart Break”, a well-earned detour from the rest of the album’s intensity, and “Last Hope”, which will go down with “All I Wanted” as one of Williams’ most intensely personal performances ever.

For hardcore Paramore fans, the band’s new direction may take some getting used to, as it did for this reviewer. But “Paramore” takes advantage of this reload, while still giving fans a lot to work with- The album’s 17 tracks clock in at a little over an hour. It’s the band’s best work yet and flat-out, bar none good music. If all this drama makes for an album this good, one wonders what the rest of their career will be like.
  27. Apr 15, 2013
    1st listen through I didn't quite get it. 2nd listen through found some catchy tunes I liked. Third listen through I realized i could appreciate the new sound. It is different, but at its core it's still hayley and paramore. There some really cool directional twists and turns throughout. In my opinion it could have packed a little bit of a punch with a few less songs. Still a great album,1st listen through I didn't quite get it. 2nd listen through found some catchy tunes I liked. Third listen through I realized i could appreciate the new sound. It is different, but at its core it's still hayley and paramore. There some really cool directional twists and turns throughout. In my opinion it could have packed a little bit of a punch with a few less songs. Still a great album, worth the effort to re-listen a few times, chances are you will keep coming back to the album until every song is a favorite. It's a record that focuses a little less on a heavy guitar riff and a little bit more on a bass groove. There's also a lot more experimentation with sound effects, which I dig. This an album that i won't be putting on the backburner any time soon. Expand
  28. Apr 23, 2013
    Great album! Paramore albums always seemed rather one-note to me so the diversity here is refreshing. Also, as if it hasn't been said enough around the web, Rubin is a great improvement on drums. The musicianship here is rock solid. Who would have thought that losing their founding members would be what they needed to finally blossom?
  29. May 28, 2013
    Paramore without the Farro brothers to many, is not Paramore. But this self-titled effort is so good, that you forget they were even in the band. This is definitely their best album. Experimenting with new wave, indietronica synths, power pop sounds, ukuleles, alternative country music, and soul singing styles and gospel choirs, Paramore seems like a self-discovery effort. They truly showParamore without the Farro brothers to many, is not Paramore. But this self-titled effort is so good, that you forget they were even in the band. This is definitely their best album. Experimenting with new wave, indietronica synths, power pop sounds, ukuleles, alternative country music, and soul singing styles and gospel choirs, Paramore seems like a self-discovery effort. They truly show how much they've grown and how much the Farro's departure has affected them, but that they've moved on and it's all fine. Starting with Fast In My Car, a rebellious, anxious piece of punky power pop with a fun use of new wave sounds, it's one of the most adventerous tracks. Now has a much more alternative rock, almost hardcore feel with some of te best vocals by Hayley Williams, a spunky, soulful singer with an amazing voice, which shows extensive range. Grow Up is a track with a Caribbean beat and some No Doubt inspired ska rock rhythms and drums, all topped with some new wave, indietronic synths. Perhaps, the most adventurous track is Ain't It Fun, the obvious highlight of the album. That soul in Hayley's voice, the funk rock feel, the sarcasm in its lyrics, the larger-than-life gospel choir, all of that makes Ain't It Fun an instant classic. Part II is another noteworthy track which has great lyrics and resembles some of the band's previous work. Daydreaming is an amazing song that could have also been used for an album opener with its dream pop sound and alt-rock surroundings. Still Into You, another obvious highlight, is Paramore's most blatant, straightforward pop song of their career. Hayley's voice is demanding and effective. She truly makes you feel like she really is into you. On Proof, Hayley sounds tough and like all the proof she really does need is her squeeze. On Hate To See Your Heart Break, a country-esque ballad, Hayley is sweet and vulnerable. (One Of Those) Crazy Girls is a track recalling the most recent alternative country stylings of Best Coast, channeling Taylor Swift for lovelorn, crazy-in-love lyrics. It's an impressive feat. Anklebiters is a track that poses as a marriage of Paramore's older punk sound and their newer, power pop arrangements. A fan favorite, for sure. The interludes offer some diversity to the already vast sounds on Paramore, with the simple use of a ukulele and Hayley's crooning vocal. In all, Paramore is a success story. An album heavily inspired by the departure of the Farros, but also an album of self-discovery and experimentation. Fans looking for the classic Paramore sound will be disappointed, but the open-minded ones who welcome new sounds and don't throw fits at every little sound out of the Paramore norm are the ones who count. Paramore is one of the best albums of the year and a monster achievement for the band.
    HIGHLIGHTS: Ain't It Fun, Still Into You, Grow Up, Daydreaming, Fast In My Car, (One Of Those) Crazy Girls, Part II, Proof
  30. Jun 9, 2013
    Following the departure of the Farro brothers in late 2010, the rest of Paramore (lead singer Hayley Williams, guitarist Taylor York, and bassist Jeremy Davis) decided to continue the band. But would they retain their signature pop-punk style, given that the departed Farros (guitarist Josh Farro and drummer Zach Farro) had cofounded the band and helped define its sound? The Singles Club inFollowing the departure of the Farro brothers in late 2010, the rest of Paramore (lead singer Hayley Williams, guitarist Taylor York, and bassist Jeremy Davis) decided to continue the band. But would they retain their signature pop-punk style, given that the departed Farros (guitarist Josh Farro and drummer Zach Farro) had cofounded the band and helped define its sound? The Singles Club in 2011 indicated that they possibly would. However, their fourth studio album, the self-titled Paramore, displays a progression in the band's sound. It's a change that, while not perfect, is refreshing and diverse.

A few songs, such as "Part II" and "Last Hope," are reminiscent of the band's older songs the former could easily have fit on All We Know Is Falling. The rest of the album is different, with new wave and electronic sounds incorporated into the songs. Lead single "Now" is more of a punk-driven track, and would be great if Williams' vocals on it didn't sound like a bad imitation of Gwen Stefani. "Still Into You," the follow-up single, is more of a pop rock song, but it's still a fun, enjoyable track. Other standouts include "Ain't It Fun," which features funk influences and a gospel choir; the aforementioned "Part II" and "Last Hope;" the Riot!-esque "Proof," and the closing track "Future." There are also a few short interlude tracks that I felt were unnecessary and out of place. The drum work on the album is pretty good, thanks to Ilan Rubin (of Nine Inch Nails and Angels & Airwaves fame) filling in behind the kit.

Overall, the album is a solid work, albeit a little disjointed and sometimes too poppy. It reminded me of Blink-182's self-titled album, which also featured a progression in the band's sound and greater musical diversity. For better or worse, Paramore are moving on.

A parade of beige pop numbers that even Taylor Swift would turn down for being too generic. [May 2013, p.86]
  2. May 3, 2013
    Paramore is both the band’s most polished and messiest album, which somehow pays off.
  3. Apr 30, 2013