Phrazes For The Young - Julian Casablancas
9.1

Review this album

1. Jun 16, 2011
    I think a metascore of only 72 for this album is a big mistake, it should be up the 85/90 at least, then again, critics don't go well with people opinion, this album is so creative, complex, and full of catchy melodies and interesting lyrics, Julian's voice shines all over the album, my best track should be "Glass", excellent melody, great album.
  2. Oct 19, 2011
    Julian Casablancas takes a huge step from his vocals in First Impressions of Earth to this album, where he seems twice as energetic and happy about making music. This album, like the first two Strokes records, has no weak tracks that stand out (my personal favorite being River of Brakelights). It is 40 minutes and 8 tracks of nonstop emotion and Julian shows off his greatest talent in music, which is songwriting. Expand
  3. Dec 6, 2013
    I think this album is too underrated by the critics, all the songs in "Phrazes For The Young" capture that somewhat 80 's 90 's feels very well and were able to present them in very sophisticated and beautiful electronic sounds! I would give it 9 out of 10, but to compensate the rating i give it 10!!! :D

1. In the end, deliberately(?) tinny tracks such as 'Glass' sound like sketches in search of a full band. Hopefully, said band will soon oblige.
  2. Recorded under the radar with producer Jason Lader and Bright Eyes collaborator Mike Mogis, it’s a strange little album, just eight songs long but deceptively dense with ideas.
  3. Phrazes represents a creative departure for Casablancas and another milestone for his band--marking a point where they've produced more quality albums by themselves than as a group.