Picaresque - The Decemberists
8.5

Review this album

1. Apr 11, 2011
    Picaresque is The Decemberists' best album to date. Meloy and company generate memorable melodies with great hooks and delightful word play. There are almost no weak songs on this album.
  2. Nov 15, 2011
    My favourite songs on the album are: 1) The Mariner's Revenge Song 2) The Engine Driver and 3) The Infanta 4) We Both Go Down Together. The Mariner's Revenge Song is in fact one of my most favourite songs of all time, telling an awesome story with a wicked melody. Picaresque is an awesome album.
  3. Dec 21, 2011
    One of the best Decemberists albums. They pick up from the more melodic previous two albums with the rocking opener "The Infanta" and it doesn't slow down from there. From that point we get some awesome tracks like the anthemic "We Both Go Down Together", the quirky "Sporting Life", the trumpet-coated "16 Military Wives", the groovy "Engine Driver", and the engaging sea shanty "Mariner's Revenge Song", which is also quite possibly the best song on the album. No matter what genre you're into, if you want to check out a truly remarkable album, "Picaresque" won't disappoint or bore you for a second. Expand
  4. Dec 15, 2012
    Great album with several really good songs my favorites being 16 Military Wives and The Infanta. Both of which have excellent lyrics and instrumentation. This album also has a variety of sounds on it so you won't be bored and most of songs have a great story if you really listen to them especially The Mariner's Revenge Song. Well worth the money!

1. [Meloy's] lyrics skip across history... and overflow with mellifluous rhymes. [25 Mar 2005, p.71]
  2. Picaresque is a triumph of theatrical imagination: the culmination of the Decemberists' steady march to greatness in four years of enriched storytelling and folk-rock invention.
  3. The more realized updates of [Her Majesty] that crowd out the backed of Picaresque reveal a wit so bizarre and vaudevillian beauty so ultimately endearing that by the end, Meloy's sprawling form of theatrical folk has us all. [Apr 2005, p.116]