• Record Label: Virgin
  • Release Date: Mar 9, 2010
8.3

Review this album

1. Jan 8, 2015
    A musical masterpiece featuring wonderful collaborations, impeccable production and incredible usage of orchestral music. The fusion of orchestra, hip hop, grime, synthpop and a variety of other genres is an extremely difficult idea to pull off well, but Albarn and crew's efforts are near flawless. The entire album is incredibly strong with hypnotic vocals from Albarn himself, brilliantA musical masterpiece featuring wonderful collaborations, impeccable production and incredible usage of orchestral music. The fusion of orchestra, hip hop, grime, synthpop and a variety of other genres is an extremely difficult idea to pull off well, but Albarn and crew's efforts are near flawless. The entire album is incredibly strong with hypnotic vocals from Albarn himself, brilliant joint efforts with the likes of the late Bobby Womack, grime gods Kano and Bashy, as well as Little Dragon and The Fall's Mark E. Smith. The synths are mind-bending and perfectly compliment the triumphant violins. Album highlights include 'Stylo', 'Glitter Freeze' and the beautifully hazy 'Empire Ants'. An incredible record.

Rating: 90/100
  2. Apr 21, 2014
    A purely amazing album! I can see where some people would be against this album as it is quite different than other gorillaz albums. I would put it on par to Demon Days.
  3. Dec 17, 2013
    This is the first 10 I've ever rated. It's technically a 9.5, but since we're rounding up, this album gets a perfect score for Metacritic.

I had been replaying this album for a long time, but I always skipped a few tracks here and there. Now, having heard it in its entirety, I can honestly say that this album is an absolute masterpiece. Seriously, after the letdown that was Demon

Seriously, after the letdown that was Demon Days, it's pretty surprising to see that Damon didn't try to fix it for his next record, instead coming up with something entirely different. Instead he's come up with a completely different approach that has alienated previous fans of the previous album, but not me. (Mostly because I'M not a fan of the previous album).
  4. Sep 21, 2012
    It\'s a very good album but some music aren't nice.
    Some songs like Stylo and Rhinestone eyes are very nice.
    Welcome to the World opf The Plastic Beach it's not very good, maybe i think this becuse i don't like Snoop Dogg
  5. Jul 4, 2012
    Another awesome album from Gorillaz! Every song on this album has something to offer and the album vibe is kept trough the whole trip! I love to listen to this album in my car has it offer a grand range of variety and keeps sounding better after every listening! I really could not choose witch Gorillaz album I prefer best.
  6. Mar 20, 2012
    The beach vibe is definitely present. Gorillaz seem to weave in and out of each genre, picking and choosing collaborations that fit the albums specific style. This one brings a more laid back tone after the more ominous demon days, and is a great soundtrack that seems at home playing in your headphones during an island vacation (which it did serve as my soundtrack during a st. john trip).The beach vibe is definitely present. Gorillaz seem to weave in and out of each genre, picking and choosing collaborations that fit the albums specific style. This one brings a more laid back tone after the more ominous demon days, and is a great soundtrack that seems at home playing in your headphones during an island vacation (which it did serve as my soundtrack during a st. john trip). Initially, I admit I was not as struck with PB as I was with Gorillaz or even Demon Days, but it kept growing on me until it was proudly placed as a worthy addition to the gorillaz legacy. One thing I must say, MORE DAMON. Sure, songs such as Some Kind of Nature and Superfast Jellyfish are catchy and fun, but I really want to see more of 2D up front than providing some chorus lines. Heck, in some songs, such as White Flag or Sweepstakes, Damon isnt even present at all. Please return to more Demon-Days collaboration methods or even back to good ole' Gorillaz 2d-centric album where we can focus on Gorillaz and not the spotlight solely on the collaborators. Expand
  7. j30
    Dec 9, 2011
    This is my favorite release from the Gorillaz and in my top ten for 2010. It's dance-club ready, re-mix ready, just straight up party ready. The production is carefully thought out and put together nicely, whereas Demon Days was kind of all over the place and not a bad thing.
  8. Sep 10, 2011
    This album is a strange adjustment for the average Gorillaz fan. I didn't catch on right away, but now I feel that this is their best album. By far.
  9. Nov 22, 2010
    Gorillaz can bring the funk, even on this more serious and chillout set. Bringing the theme of the environmental health of the planet, there is a lot to talk about. Gorillaz brings listeners wonderful melodies and calming rhythms. The only dissapointing thing is that when the album has to come to a close.
  10. Nov 6, 2010
    This is probably the last hope for humanity when it comes to music. With all this crap on the charts, it's annoying not to see this album anywhere up there. Absolutely amazing.
  11. Oct 22, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. wasn't to found of this album at the beginning, but as i listened to it over and over, i just told myself dude why didn't i liked it o.0
    this is not a love at the first time album. It doesn't get empty like many other album, it fill itself.
    Anyway, i don't think this album need a hit.
    Yes it's different, but it's what we all always want : something different and besides JELLYFISH. so 10.0
  12. Oct 12, 2010
    Great album! Gorillaz deliver a lot of harmonic, melodic elements that make their music catchy and very original. Their arrangements are great and all the synth work is very reminiscent of the best new wave music of the early 80's. Definitely a must hear and of the best albums of 2010, thanks for such great music!
  13. Oct 11, 2010
    This isn't crappy commercial pop, this is full on, clever pop. Sure, the collaboration with snoop dog is not the best but the rest of the album is brilliant and onces again, innovative. 'White Flag' is an interesting piece of cross culture hip hop and 'Sweepstakes' is driven by some jazzy horns. 'Stylo' and 'Cloud of Unknowing' feature Bobby Womack, a move that seems perfect when hearingThis isn't crappy commercial pop, this is full on, clever pop. Sure, the collaboration with snoop dog is not the best but the rest of the album is brilliant and onces again, innovative. 'White Flag' is an interesting piece of cross culture hip hop and 'Sweepstakes' is driven by some jazzy horns. 'Stylo' and 'Cloud of Unknowing' feature Bobby Womack, a move that seems perfect when hearing the two songs. On Stylo, Womack produces almost a wail to drive the song whilst 'Cloud of Unknowing' sounds beautiful with the strings and a softer voice. Albarn takes gambles and they always seem to pull off. Whether it be trying new genres, pulling in guest stars or just being himself. It just always works. Expand
  14. Sep 26, 2010
    Pop, guests, plastic. That's all you need to really know about this album. This album really said "We are the Gorillaz and we can do whatever we want!" This album features a ton of new guests: Snoop Dogg, Little Dragon, Gruff Rhys, etc. This album was really fun, and contained new emotions for my Gorillaz experience. This is the easiest album to get used to yet, so don't worry.Pop, guests, plastic. That's all you need to really know about this album. This album really said "We are the Gorillaz and we can do whatever we want!" This album features a ton of new guests: Snoop Dogg, Little Dragon, Gruff Rhys, etc. This album was really fun, and contained new emotions for my Gorillaz experience. This is the easiest album to get used to yet, so don't worry.

Standouts : "Rhinestone Eyes", "Stylo", "Empire Ants", "On Melancholy Hill"

Overall Score : 8.8
  15. Sep 12, 2010
    77!!!!!!!!

What you've got to be joking! This album does not deserve that rating. Murdoc Niccals, Stu- Pot, and Cyborg Noodle. have done it again (except not Cyborg Noodle). This album is at least as good as Demon Days. There is such a good variety in this LP that even Yukimi Nagano (Little Dragon) is on two tracks 'To Binge' and one of my favourites 'Empire Ants'. Legendary rapper Mos
    77!!!!!!!!

What you've got to be joking!

Legendary rapper Mos Def also has his contribution to this memento, in the single Stylo he raps through a voice distorter and turns the song into a kind of deep electric dark, mini-anthem. Then its the return of De-La soul, super fast ,super fast, super catchy. There song is a great contribution the the album and possibly "brightening up the album".
    The highlight of the album is 'Melancholy Hill' Gorillaz on there own with 2D singing about a hill and being in love?

8 ½ / 10
  16. Sep 5, 2010
    the best Gorillaz album to date. I especially like Superfast Jellyfish, To Binge, and Broken....who would have thought that Lou Reed and Snoop would be on the same record?
  17. Aug 13, 2010
    Probably the most overlooked CD of the year! Whenever I ask someone if they've heard the new Gorillaz album, all I get are blank stares. Perhaps it's because Plastic Beach lacks a single like "Clint Eastwood" or "Feel Good Inc." However, I think this is Gorillaz's best album as a whole. It maintains a theme (in this case environmentalism), which keeps the CD consistent. And this isProbably the most overlooked CD of the year! Whenever I ask someone if they've heard the new Gorillaz album, all I get are blank stares. Perhaps it's because Plastic Beach lacks a single like "Clint Eastwood" or "Feel Good Inc." However, I think this is Gorillaz's best album as a whole. It maintains a theme (in this case environmentalism), which keeps the CD consistent. And this is arguably the most varied Gorillaz ablum yet. Damon Alburn (singer and main guy of Gorillaz) said he wanted Plastic Beach to have a mix tape feel - he certainly accomplished it. There are so many genres represented here including rap, funk, rock, electronic, soul, and alternative. Guest appearances by Snoop Dog, Bobby Womack, and Lou Reed (and many more) are complimented with some of the catchiest Gorillaz beats to date. One of the best of 2010, but be warned: this album is more electronic than Gorillaz's previous. RECOMMENDED TRACKS: Rhinestone Eyes, Stylo, Empire Ants, Some Kind of Nature, On Melancholy Hill Expand
  18. KidA
    Mar 21, 2010
    Literally can't believe the bad reviews. It's bloody brilliant.
  19. AndrewH.
    Mar 20, 2010
    this time around the gorillaz got it right with fresh sounds and new collabs. this time around i can;t help but find these tracks being set to repeat on my ipod songs like "Rhinestone Eyes" or "Stlyo are already imprinted forever in my head. Good job Gorillaz.
  20. KarmaT
    Mar 19, 2010
    Great Album. Better to listen it with your headset on. Beautiful fine textures, smart lyrics...feat artists are amazing too.
  21. DerickK
    Mar 18, 2010
    I loved it, possibly the Gorillaz best yet. My friend's favourite thing ever by Damon Albarn, I don't know yet, but I do know it's the best of '10 for me so far.
  22. rx2
    Mar 18, 2010
    Most albums that require relistens are fabulous. The Good, the Bad, and The Queen took some time get into and this does as well. It's brilliant. It's wonderful that we have tracks like these.
  23. WilliamC.
    Mar 16, 2010
    This album left me in complete awe. They did it again, changing up their style, and it still sounds awesome. Songs like White Flag are completely original combining an Arabic Orchestra with British hip hop. Songs like Broken are lyrically genius with dual meaning to life and love. I strongly encourage buying this album.
  24. R.GGV
    Mar 16, 2010
    Absolutely awesome. The most balanced, consistent Gorillaz album and each track complement each other while the whole album flows like a clean stream. There might be no Feel Good or Clint Eastwood but that's why it is so good because there is no big hitting song that throws the album off. Buy it. Now.
  25. AriellaY.
    Mar 16, 2010
    This album is their best so far.
  26. james
    Mar 15, 2010
    Staggeringly good. If you don't give this 10 out of 10 then shame upon your musical soul.
  27. JohnL.
    Mar 14, 2010
    Better than Demon Days, great job, Damon Albarn did it again!
  28. PhilipG
    Mar 14, 2010
    Amazing album, how amazing is only revealed with repeated listening.
  29. PatrickC
    Mar 13, 2010
    Really brilliant album. Superior to their first album and equal with Demon Days. This album takes longer to warm up to then Demon Days, but if you did enjoy either of Gorillaz's past albums, you will eventually love this album. The song's I really warmed up to first were Rhinestone Eyes, and Sweepstakes. So if you're having a hard time with the album, try those two songs some.
  30. YanniL
    Mar 12, 2010
    Outstanding trip hop. We want more of this, Gorillaz!
  31. NickB
    Mar 11, 2010
    Gorillaz haven't lost their magic. I have been a true gorillaz fan for years now and I still listen to all their old songs. This album is a must-buy for anyone that appreciates music.
  32. AhadM.
    Mar 11, 2010
    Mixes hard electronic beats with smooth melancholic melodies, Gorillaz best album yet, the onl thing missing being the big single (such as feel good inc. or Dare) but, what it lacks there it makes up for by being the most 'together' album yet of the gorillaz, mixing a range of artists with classic gorillaz sounds.
  33. AdamF
    Mar 11, 2010
    Ever since NPR has been streaming the album, I have not been able to stop listening. I wish I could put into words how much I love this album. Beautiful, captivating music right here. Whenever I listen, I want to vomit a rainbow. Album of the year.
  34. TarekM.
    Mar 10, 2010
    Finally the wait is over and these gorillaz keep on giving out their best!
  35. AnthonyC.
    Mar 10, 2010
    I reviewed the album at the amazon.com website. I think it's an excellent piece of work. Requires two listens to begin to get how really good it is.
  36. Hendri
    Mar 10, 2010
    Brilliant! what i expect from gorillaz.listen to the entire album more than once to understand what is going on.
  37. MiguelM.
    Mar 10, 2010
    The greatest album I have ever heard to date. Gorillaz have always been a creative and unique band but i never seen something like this before. My favorite song is White Flag, the flowing beats and lyrics just tie in so perfectly and well done. This album is definatly worth buying.
  38. robp.
    Mar 10, 2010
    Hardly a lagging moment on Alburn's finest work since 13. Lush. Vibrant. Genius.
  39. JoshL
    Mar 10, 2010
    The variety in this album is incredible. Wide range of appeal.
  40. LeahT.
    Mar 10, 2010
    As brilliant an album as anything else I've heard this year. Fantastic collaborations and Albarn's signature melodic charm. Wonderful.
  41. DexStud
    Mar 10, 2010
    Has all the elctro glitz and glam of great bands from the 80's. Love all the cameos. Plastic Beach is much better than their debut and Demon Days!
  42. TheEz8
    Mar 10, 2010
    Flawless album as well as brilliantly thought out and executed. Definitely contender for best album of the year and by far best Gorillaz album to be released.
  43. idreamo.
    Mar 9, 2010
    Album of the year(possibly). Hopefully Albarn's next project will be to produce a solo Womack album or more duets with Little Dragon.
  44. JH
    Mar 9, 2010
    Not a 10 but not bad at all, jeez the LAcTimes who ever wrote that must be on rock.
  45. JosephA.
    Mar 9, 2010
    This album sounds different from other Gorillaz albums but if your a fan of how they tend to bring something new in each album then you might like it. This album is for people with certain tastes that can appreciate the sound, style and mixes it offers. I actually want more.
  46. YellaPaint
    Mar 9, 2010
    First of all, I'm a longtime Gorillaz fan. But I am by no means biased. If this album wasn't good, I would say it wasn't good. Fortunately, that is not the case. This album is well worth the almost 5 year wait. The guests are better than ever, and the musicianship is incredible. Like Muse's most recent album, this album (especially the iTunes Deluxe Version) has a good First of all, I'm a longtime Gorillaz fan. But I am by no means biased. If this album wasn't good, I would say it wasn't good. Fortunately, that is not the case. This album is well worth the almost 5 year wait. The guests are better than ever, and the musicianship is incredible. Like Muse's most recent album, this album (especially the iTunes Deluxe Version) has a good orchestral feel to it. It's very laid-back, and is more poppy than their previous albums. However, that is not a bad thing. In short, a must-buy for anyone who enjoyed Demon Days even a little. Track by track: Orchestral Intro: 9/10 Great. A perfect intro, that is only brought down by a short length. Welcome to The World of The Plastic Beach: 7.75/10 This track also feels like an introduction, and it's a pretty good one at that. The beat is GREAT, but something about it is a bit out of place. Snoop does a good job, but I feel like he should have had a chance to really rap, at least for a moment. White Flag: 8/10 A pretty simple hip hop track, featuring Bashy and Kano, backed up by some great music by the National Orchestra for Arabic Music. Rhinestone Eyes: 10/10 One of the best tracks on the album. A laid-back song with some awesome music and lyrics, with no guests to clutter the simple layout. Stylo: 10/10 The first single from the album, and another one of my favorites. It's an electro-pop dance song with a bit of singing from Bobby Womack. Superfast Jellyfish: Yet another.. 10/10 I love this song. Great raps, hilarious samples and ad-libs, and a catchy chorus too. Empire Ants: 9.5/10 One of the slower songs, but also one of the best. Very laid-back, with a very well-done change of pace about halfway through, where some electronic beats come in with vocals by Little Dragon. Glitter Freeze: 8.5/10 Very poppy, mostly instrumental track with an awesome synth line that can get stuck in your head for hours. Some Kind of Nature: 7.75/10 Good song, a bit odd, but in a good way. Another somewhat poppy song, but also very laid back. On Melancholy Hill: 10/10 Very slow song, but amazingly good. I just love it. Broken: 8.5/10 Very laid-back. One of the slowest songs here. Sweepstakes: 6.75/10 Don't really like this one. It has it's redeeming points though. Plastic Beach: 8/10 Like it. Not up to the standards of some of the other tracks, but it's good. To Binge: 8/10 Very mellow track. It's not great, but like every other track on this album, it's at least GOOD. Cloud of Unknowing: 8.5/10 Pirate Jet: 9/10 iTunes Bonus Tracks: Pirate's Progress: 10/10 Great orchestral track, reprise of the intro. Three Hearts, Seven Seas, Twelve Moons: 9.5/10 Great. That's all. Expand
  47. SpootyThespoot
    Mar 9, 2010
    This is the pop filling I've been waiting for the past 3 years. Very experimental and I absolutely adore the overall volume that this kicks. Nom nom nom to your ears.
  48. MirceaC.
    Mar 9, 2010
    I know why some people underrate this splendid album from Gorillaz. It's because Plastic Beach brings pop music to a new level and some people still can't admit it, or let's say, they still can't see the light at the end of the tunnel. It sounds different from any other pop album, and of course Gorillaz album, but it doesn't mean that it's bad. This album may I know why some people underrate this splendid album from Gorillaz. It's because Plastic Beach brings pop music to a new level and some people still can't admit it, or let's say, they still can't see the light at the end of the tunnel. It sounds different from any other pop album, and of course Gorillaz album, but it doesn't mean that it's bad. This album may not have singles like "Feel Good Inc." and "Clint Eastwood", but it's been rewarded with songs like "On Melancholy Hill" (my favourite), "Some Kind of Nature", "Superfast Jellyfish" and finally "Empire Ants", which from my point of view are the climax of this album (or should I say, the cherry on top of the cake?). I agree that Stylo isn't a really strong single compared to any other singles Gorillaz made, but it has its moments. The rest of the songs are also great (not the best of course) but magnificent. Put them all the songs together (aka Plastic Beach) and you'll see something new, unique and refreshing for pop music. Better than Demon Days? That's what people ask for ages. I will say, with all my heart, yes. As I said above, Plastic Beach might not have 'strong' singles, but, it brings something new and unique. Something which Demon Days didn't really bring. It was and still is a great album from Gorillaz, but unfortunately, I don't think it brought pop music to a new level like Plastic Beach. Indeed, this is one of the best albums which came out in 2010. Maybe the best. Expand
  49. ShannaM.
    Gorillaz
  50. ClifC.
    Mar 9, 2010
    This is the first 10 stars out of 10 album since M.I.A.'s "Kala". It's certainly the poppiest Gorillaz album, but it's the best. There is no Hit songs like "Dare", "Feel Good Inc." or "Clint Eastwood"; so it's not so immediate, you can't judge it by the first listen. It's more Pop. But who said Pop music couldn't be demanding? The whole album is This is the first 10 stars out of 10 album since M.I.A.'s "Kala". It's certainly the poppiest Gorillaz album, but it's the best. There is no Hit songs like "Dare", "Feel Good Inc." or "Clint Eastwood"; so it's not so immediate, you can't judge it by the first listen. It's more Pop. But who said Pop music couldn't be demanding? The whole album is perfectly balanced and constant in its grandeur. The only thing that wasn't excellent, in my opinion, was the choice of Bashy as a featuring. The rest is pure genius. Expand
  51. TroelsS.
    Mar 9, 2010
    When I had only heard the album a few times, I thought about just giving it a 9. There are some low points, but each time you listen to the album, the low points seem to get better and better. And now, after several listens, it can't be anything but the highest grade. Gorillaz' greatest so far (and that says a lot, Demon Days being completely magnificent as well), and also the When I had only heard the album a few times, I thought about just giving it a 9. There are some low points, but each time you listen to the album, the low points seem to get better and better. And now, after several listens, it can't be anything but the highest grade. Gorillaz' greatest so far (and that says a lot, Demon Days being completely magnificent as well), and also the greatest album of this year so far. It's going to be tough to drag this album down fro it's top position of 2010. Damon Albarn is a musical genius. Expand
  52. Jordan
    Mar 9, 2010
    Trials off in the end, but is still extremely fun throughout. Superfast Jellyfish and Empire Ants are amazing songs.
  53. SanstoneZ.
    Mar 9, 2010
    Best album of 2010 and best Gorillaz album. Smooth and melodic with lots of changeups. Musical fusion at it's best.

Only behind such a distracting smokescreen could Damon Albarn get away with conducting a project as sprawling, daring, innovative, surprising, muddled and magnificent as Plastic Beach: not just one of the best records of 2010, but a release to stand alongside the greatest Albarn’s ever been involved with and a new benchmark for collaborative music as a whole.
  2. Best when he’s corralling others into out-of-their-comfort-zone creativity, it’s the Albarn-sung tracks on the second half of the album where the attention wanders and the album opening Snoop Dogg cameo seems a million miles away. Of course, there’s alot here to take in and maybe it just needs a fair few listens to fully digest it - the sign of any album worth its salt.
    The music that wraps around the concept is never boring and much of it is excellent....What's lacking is the nailed-on megatune--a "Clint Eastwood" or "Feel Good Inc"--that we've come to expect from a Gorillaz album. [Apr 2010, p.99]