Relapse - Eminem
8.0

Review this album

1. Sep 16, 2010
    I was so surprised at how much I ended up enjoying this album. The first two singles he released gave me doubt as to how good the album would be, but I was pleasantly surprised when I got the album simply because I was a fan of Eminem since I was in grade school and it ended up only having two songs that sucked. It is his darkest album by far, but it only makes it more exciting. It is theI was so surprised at how much I ended up enjoying this album. The first two singles he released gave me doubt as to how good the album would be, but I was pleasantly surprised when I got the album simply because I was a fan of Eminem since I was in grade school and it ended up only having two songs that sucked. It is his darkest album by far, but it only makes it more exciting. It is the kind of CD that you turn on while you are in the car with loud speakers simply because of the energy it gives you. If you are looking for some fun rap, then you should probably skip this CD, but if you are a die hard Eminem fan, then you will see that this is his greatest work. Expand
  2. Jun 23, 2011
    I don't know why this has a lower metascore than "Encore." It's a crying shame because it's easily 10 times better than that pile of **** This is undoubtably Eminem's return to form. Old Time's Sake, Same Song & Dance and Deja Vu are my favorite songs.
  3. Jun 12, 2011
    Stunning album, so underrated. Eminem is still the best after more than ten years. Contains masterpieces such as "Same song and dance", "Deja vu" or "Beautiful".
  4. Nov 4, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Relapse is a sinister lyrical masterpiece. The delivery and flow Eminem gives is somewhat odd, people often refer to his "accent" as annoying. The fact is- Eminem has always used accents, Eminem has always used tone and delivery, and this album may seem a bit like swimming upstream at first, but I assure the content of this album is comical and fairly humorous. As an artist, and a human... this is when Marshall Mathers was in his darkest days. To Marshall's dismay, his best friend and hype man Proof (RIP DeShaun Dupree Holton (October 2, 1973 April 11, 2006) passed away. They were friends in their adolescence, Marshall was distraught, he was lost, he was a confused soul.

This dark twisted picture that Eminem paints almost seems like a drawing of his alter-ego Slim Shady. But even Slim Shady seems at his lowest, he sounds like he doesn't want to rap anymore, and just zones out on the mic while going auto pilot and just unleash all the that comes to his mind. Serial killing, rape, incest, these are the prevalent themes at the beginning. Eventually it takes a dive into the mainstream, the middle of the album sounds somewhat upbeat and foolish, and as the album comes to a close, you can see a ray of light.

This album was actually a very essential step in the career of Eminem, and people don't give enough credit where credit is due. Personally I think this album was a masterpiece in a sense that, being a true Eminem fan you really got the jokes about Christopher Reeves sinking in quicksand, and penetrating vagina's with either balloons and popping them, or umbrella's and then opening them.
  5. Aug 21, 2010
    i've tried to listen to eminem's albums, because everyone says he's so good. so i gave relapse a try. after listening i can't see what everyone was talking about . i did not enjoy it. with that in mind i relize that most rappers are at their best at the beginning of their careers, so i listened to his earlier albums. i still do not see what people are talking about. to wrap it up i thinki've tried to listen to eminem's albums, because everyone says he's so good. so i gave relapse a try. after listening i can't see what everyone was talking about . i did not enjoy it. with that in mind i relize that most rappers are at their best at the beginning of their careers, so i listened to his earlier albums. i still do not see what people are talking about. to wrap it up i think he has weak flow, poor metaphors, and poor shallow lyrical content. but i might be the only person who thinks that Expand
  6. Jan 11, 2011
    Now I know that Em isn't perfect (every one of his albums had at least one song I didn't like), but that doesn't excuse this album. It consists of one great track ("Beautiful"), one OK track ("Deja Vu") and everything else horrible.
  7. Jan 28, 2011
    IMO This album is Amazing and it is very underrated by fans and critics alike. sure, he used that accent, but his rhymes are dope and he has some good songs.
  8. Oct 2, 2013
    Oh my gosh! What more is there to say. It's fabulous!!!!! Great songs, great singing, great acting! Loveable to the core! When I first heard this album, I must say, GOOSEBUMPS galore! I was like a walking talking Taylor Abraham.
  9. Nov 5, 2013
    Bottom line it's underrated. Who cares about the accents when the lyrics are so good!? Overall it's a great album with awesome rhymes, memorable beats, and funny skits. Good stuff...
  10. Dec 15, 2013
    Im going to go ahead and EXPOSE METACRITIC AS GARBAGE real quick, if anyone wants to stick around...

Eminem goes unforgiving hard-as-nails in-your-face and mad-as-hell on MMLP1, and Metacritic slams him for being over the top. They claim the classic was a 78, and Yeezus, the ten song experimental embarrassment that Kanye can't get over 3.2 stars on Itunes, is an 85. Ok, fine. He

He lightens up on The Eminem Show, and Metacritic says it's too soft and they've heard it all before. 75.

He mixes in other artists and dumbs down the "Slim Shady" persona on The Reup, and they absolutely trash it and say he's lost his voice. 50. A 50, supposedly a worse album than IANAHB 2.
    Do You Sense the Bullsh.it Yet.....

He brings back Slim Shady as violent yet comedic as ever on Relapse, and they say he's forcing the issue. 59.

He changes his content for the more mature, stays witty, address' his past demons and shows immense growth as an artist on Recovery, and they say he's boring. 63.

THEN, on MMLP2, he combines Recovery, MMLP, and the Eminem Show in an experimental, mature, hard-as-nails, yet emotional reflection on his career, and they give it a 73. Thats 7 points worse than Teflon Don, by Rick Ross.

METACRITIC: WHAT THE ACTUAL ARE YOU DOING.
  11. Oct 13, 2010
    Relapse was an attempted step back into the shoes of the sinister Slim Shady. Apparently when Eminem stepped in those shoes, they felt snug and uncomfortable. The album starts off with a creative and slightly seat-edging intro skit which is one another favorite element of Eminem albums (the skits are usually highly entertaining). 3am is a decent step into Slim Shady but its surprisinglyRelapse was an attempted step back into the shoes of the sinister Slim Shady. Apparently when Eminem stepped in those shoes, they felt snug and uncomfortable. The album starts off with a creative and slightly seat-edging intro skit which is one another favorite element of Eminem albums (the skits are usually highly entertaining). 3am is a decent step into Slim Shady but its surprisingly almost indecipherable. Eminem raps with an accent (perhaps a "Detroit accent") which is sometimes unbearable. It works for a select few songs. 3am isnt one of them. My Mom utilizes the weird accent, but to a lesser extent. Eminem performs decently, delivering a shocking and humorous song in which the accent could be taken as an extra tool of comical elements. Eminem doesnt twist his tounge in Insane for the accent. The song is pretty much a chronicle throwing shocker line after shocker line. Rather than a constant barrage of hitters, lines are hit or miss. Eminem does more hits than misses but the misses mess up the consistency of the song. Its lukewarm at best. Bagpipes From Baghdad is a plucky and witty song. Sure the accent is thrown around, but still proves to be a decent song. He goes from throwing a few teasers at Mariah Carey and Nick Cannon which show the return of Eminem's taunting and satire of pop culture figures (they actually took offense). Hello is rather dry and while Em's lyrics are above average, he sounds roughly monotone which supresses the effect of them. The accent returns yet again in Same Song & Dance, which is humorous and a tad bloody but Eminem is quite simplistic throughout most of the song. We Made You is yet another comedic song off the album, which is a bit swiveled by the accented delievry but still serves as comic relief to the point if you dont laugh at one of Em's jokes you'll just laugh at his voice instead. Medicine Ball is another accented-dark-comedy which brings back the pluckyness seen on Bagpipes From Baghdad. The songs Stay Wide Awake, For Old Times Sake, Must Be The Ganja, Deja Vu arent really anything special and are lukewarm to ok tops. Beautiful is the albums highlight which Em's speaks of his struggles accent-less and shows an exceptional amount of consistency. Its pretty odd that in the midst of all the dark humor, the conscious song is the best song. Crack A Bottle makes you wish Dr. Dre just stuck to producing and 50 Cent would just stop it. Its not even clear if the song wouldve been good with just Em. The final track Underground, is another highlight track and is right up with Beautiful. The track is meant to set the stage for the follow up Recovery album (at one time called Relapse 2) which is set to be forceful and more emotionally driven. The use of Undergound as teaser for the follow up album was an excellent choice. Relapse is practically a lightweight version of the Slim Shady & Marshall Mathers LPs. Its not right up beside either album, but is a decent attempt at going back in time. Expand
  12. Nov 16, 2010
    Slim Shady is dead. Relapse is Eminems try to bring back slim shady, unfortanetley, Dr.Dre wasnt able to bring him back to life. Fortunatley, Eminems still alive. Relapse wasnt as good as it could have been.
  13. Dec 3, 2010
    It was a great album, hands down. I really don't understand why so many people hate it. It's a creepy, tingling, funny and horror filled album. Some songs ought to be omitted, but the album in general is just great.
  14. Mar 2, 2011
    "And eight years later, I'm still at it/Divorced, re-married, a felon, a father, sleeping pill addict" If you skip the first, say, nine tracks, it's actually quite listenable, which is remarkable when you consider the aforementioned quote.
  15. May 26, 2011
    Despite what most people and critics think, the album is very good in my opinion. "Beautiful" is one of the best songs he has ever released. Many other tracks are great as well.
  16. Aug 25, 2011
    I don't see what all the hate is, people are just assuming because there are a few bad songs on the album he deserves a crappy rate. You may think this album is crap, but I think at this time he is still the Genius he ever was. You've been taking advantage of his music, and of his talent and as his last albums may have shined the brightest you seem to have been blinded.
    I have every eminem
    I have every eminem album and the songs in relapse have more plays than any other on my ITunes. So before you come on here, spilling your hate on a few songs go back replay an amazing song like Beautiful and you'll be reminded the true talent of the artist.
  17. Sep 5, 2011
    An improvement on the disappointing Encore, but nontheless, Eminem seems to be missing his spark and intensity. It seems like he's reversing, and getting less grumpy with old age. His 'accent' is still heavily present in this record, but I was used to it, and it assisted the flow in this album, unlike on Encore. Tracks such as Beautiful, Deja Vu, Same Song and Dance, Bagpipes From BaghdadAn improvement on the disappointing Encore, but nontheless, Eminem seems to be missing his spark and intensity. It seems like he's reversing, and getting less grumpy with old age. His 'accent' is still heavily present in this record, but I was used to it, and it assisted the flow in this album, unlike on Encore. Tracks such as Beautiful, Deja Vu, Same Song and Dance, Bagpipes From Baghdad and the single We Made You are personal highlights. Expand
  18. Oct 5, 2011
    I mean, we can be unrealistic and give it a 10, but no.. I like the album as a whole, but listening only one song ruins it. ''Beautiful'' is definitely the best song on the album, and it's long version is even better. Listening to singles, I like them, but ''3 a.m.'' is as dark as a song can be, so it kind of reveals how hard the whole album is right on the start. I didn't like the accentI mean, we can be unrealistic and give it a 10, but no.. I like the album as a whole, but listening only one song ruins it. ''Beautiful'' is definitely the best song on the album, and it's long version is even better. Listening to singles, I like them, but ''3 a.m.'' is as dark as a song can be, so it kind of reveals how hard the whole album is right on the start. I didn't like the accent on some song, but on some of them it is really perfect, like on ''Stay Wide Awake''. Once again, Em' did a good job, but not as good as The Eminem Show and The Marshall Mathers LP. Expand
  19. Jan 13, 2012
    Both lyrically and vocally, This is Eminem at his worst. IMO its easily his worst album. The only good song on the album was Underground (it was only good because it was Eminem in his old style). Truely one trashy album.
  20. Feb 4, 2012
    I love this CD only song i didnt like Was "Same Song & Dance" Other than that it was the best album of 2009. I dont understand why people didnt like this album it's a classic hopefully eminem will make a Relapse 2 in 2012 or the near future
  21. Apr 11, 2012
    Artistically produced with Eminem's lyrical content in mind, Dr Dre teases listeners with his fidelic beats and goes into the darkness with Mathers to bring some his most disturbing realities and fantasies to life.
    Unfortunately certain singles inserted into the mix of the album which feel out of place with it's concept.
  22. Nov 16, 2012
    So the beginning is awesome, but tracks 3 to 8 are poor. But after that, there's no bad song left and the album gives you entertaining songs. It's not his best album, but what are critics complaining? His rap skills are still great and he also got a couple of good wordplays in here. So what? I had a good time with Relapse, it's a good CD. Deep, sad and also the other side, which I wouldn'tSo the beginning is awesome, but tracks 3 to 8 are poor. But after that, there's no bad song left and the album gives you entertaining songs. It's not his best album, but what are critics complaining? His rap skills are still great and he also got a couple of good wordplays in here. So what? I had a good time with Relapse, it's a good CD. Deep, sad and also the other side, which I wouldn't describe as funny, let's rather say entertaining. PS: In 'Stay Wide Awake' he's rapping the whole second verse ending on -me - This is just fantastic! Expand
  23. Feb 12, 2013
    A disappointment, this album like Encore is mediocre. Some tracks are enjoyable with great chorus's, but his rapping style is kind of obnoxious. It seems like every other track was about him being a serial killer. It's a poor album with some great chorus's.
  24. Nov 9, 2012
    Excluding the song "Beautiful," and maybe a few others, Eminem is just fooling around on this album. He's better than this, and I know he knows it.
  25. Apr 14, 2013
    Pretty bad album! Most of Eminem's fans from 99-03 know that he can do a lot better than this.

Not much to say about this album.... it felt like a joke! It felt like he was purposely sucking because he knew people would still buy it, sort of like what Odd Future can do at times. A legend like Eminem should never be compared to a new and coming group.
  26. May 27, 2013
    This album is no where near Marshalls as the accents can be annoying to some but I thought the lyricism that encore lacked was made up for in this album. This album deals with sensitive themes so do not listen to it if you are easily offended.
  27. Aug 1, 2013
    What happened here? This has nothing to do with the previous albums! The beat and the lyrics on songs like 3 a.m are an insult to the Slim Shady ego, Old Time's Sake, We Made You and Beautiful are the only good songs from this album. Only three songs, the rest of the songs were terrible. As an Eminem fan, I have to say that this is awful...
  28. Jan 12, 2014
    My favorite album of all time , I for one actually like the accent's as he's rhyme scheme's are amazing , the darkest album of all time , and went threw hell and back, standout tracks are ... ALL OF THEM !!! A MUST HAVE, a classic, ive been listeing to the album nonstop for almost a year staight now and still not tired of it love it
  29. Apr 2, 2014
    What is everyone's problem with Relapse. My first preview of the album didn't settle with me well but then I heard the albums singles and immediately went onto iTunes and purchased Relapse: Refill (I buy special editions of most albums cause I like the extra content. Songs like We Made You, 3 A.M., Crack a Bottle, Beautiful and Deja Vu really stand out. Basically what I think is if its soWhat is everyone's problem with Relapse. My first preview of the album didn't settle with me well but then I heard the albums singles and immediately went onto iTunes and purchased Relapse: Refill (I buy special editions of most albums cause I like the extra content. Songs like We Made You, 3 A.M., Crack a Bottle, Beautiful and Deja Vu really stand out. Basically what I think is if its so bad than why did it win a grammy for best rap album while encore didn't. Expand

1. Thankfully, producer Dr. Dre is there to temper the lyrical bloodletting, laying heavyweight hooks over even the most scabrous tales of family disturbia, and setting 'Bagpipes From Baghdad,' Em's inspired riff on rumored ex Mariah Carey, to snake-charming woodwind squiggles.
  2. It's an impressively focused and clever work. But this music is not transcendent. It's still stuck in Marshall Mathers' muck, his fundamental mistrust of pleasure and love.
  3. By letting Dr. Dre take over the low-end-funk production, and rhyming about things he actually cares about, he comes up with a more painful, honest and vital record than anyone could have expected at this late date, up there with "The Eminem Show" or maybe even better.