• Record Label: Maverick
8.7

Review this album

1. ColinD
    Nov 1, 2006
    Truely a amazing work of artistic structure and brilliance. This entire record is playing at my funeral when my time is done.
  2. MorganP.
    Oct 29, 2007
    Chino does not need to be AUTO TUNED!!!!! they did a terrible job auto tuning it and its terribly obvious!
  3. BenM
    Jan 30, 2008
    Horrible,I just hated the way he sang the songs.I can't believe people can listen to this shit.It wasn't even rock.Awful.
  4. BrunoP
    Nov 20, 2006
    Missing White Pony...Saturday Night Wrist is just disappointing.
  5. CosterM
    Nov 3, 2006
    You can't BRAND deftones. I think that is the whole point of their SWAG. It's music. mood.
  6. SCOTTS
    Dec 5, 2006
    I have known these guys for 16 years. This album, for the most part, is the furthest from their true sound. In the past, their experimentation has seemed like a group evolution, yet knowing that Chino was not really involved in the overall production and was mostly m.i.a. until a year after it was recorded, I think that the fire is out. I am certain that this will be their last album...
  7. TomM
    Oct 30, 2006
    It's a slight return to White Pony, but doesn't come close to approaching the album as a complete piece of work. Pink Cellphone is a total throwaway track, and several others just never get going. However, they do show flashes of brilliance with 'Beware', 'Rapture', and 'Kimdracula'. I've been a huge Deftones fan ever since Adrenaline came out It's a slight return to White Pony, but doesn't come close to approaching the album as a complete piece of work. Pink Cellphone is a total throwaway track, and several others just never get going. However, they do show flashes of brilliance with 'Beware', 'Rapture', and 'Kimdracula'. I've been a huge Deftones fan ever since Adrenaline came out and while I don't ever expect them to top White Pony, this album was a breath of fresh air after their self-titled disappointed. Expand
  8. RobT
    Dec 20, 2007
    I find this to be about on par with "Deftones", and I probably enjoy it more than White Pony. It's a good release, with some real standout moments. One thing that irks me is Delgado's contributions being way more overt and kinda cheesy in parts... I prefer his usual fare of creating tension in the background subtly.
  9. JohnA.
    Jul 2, 2007
    First let me say I am a real person, not a robot, and I don't work for a record label. I honestly this is as close to perfection as you can get. Pink Cellphone goes hard in the paint.
  10. briank
    Nov 9, 2006
    They just always stay fresh! a bit on the soft side at times, but musically and production wise maybe their best album! "Beware" is an awesome song! Ranks right up there with their best!
  11. Andrew
    Oct 30, 2006
    I've never quite understood how Deftones got lumped in with the Korn's and Limp Bizkit's of the world. Those bands dont do anything for me (except for Korn's first album, that was tight back in the day.) Deftones have always been on the edge, doing their own thing, and this album is no different. Musically, I think of bands like Failure, Hum, and Queens of the Stone I've never quite understood how Deftones got lumped in with the Korn's and Limp Bizkit's of the world. Those bands dont do anything for me (except for Korn's first album, that was tight back in the day.) Deftones have always been on the edge, doing their own thing, and this album is no different. Musically, I think of bands like Failure, Hum, and Queens of the Stone Age when I hear this album, as it's more stoner rock than metal. In classic Deftones style, the album is both dark and precious, often simultaneously. It's a pretty amazing combination. I can even hear echoes of Radiohead in "Pink Cellphone", one of the most pleasant surprises of the album. And Chino's voice is just a unique insturment of its own kind, which complements the music perfectly. "Saturday Night Wrist" might just be their best album to date. I'll have to give it some more listens to see if it can top "White Pony", but it just might. Expand
  12. VanessR
    Loving it, A must For any deftones fan
  13. jorges
    Jan 23, 2007
    always a fan of deftones since they began i just think they are the only band that can play with my feelings chino voice just is incredible nice they didnt became too much team sleep this album is just great as everything they do
  14. mikem
    Jan 26, 2007
    Thier best since 'Around the Fur'
  15. CindyS
    Jan 30, 2007
    It is one of the best albums!
  16. ATaylor
    Jan 8, 2007
    Deftones never let me down. Their albums are always changing in agood way. This album only proves once again that they can rock to the maximus.
  17. CL
    Jul 18, 2007
    Much, much tighter than their last experimental album (which had some wonderful moments, but was unfocused). "Hole in the Earth" has been deemed extremely heavy but I've seen Brit Rock bands deliver just as much noise - which is convenient considering Chino takes on Bono's voice. "Rapture" is a by-the-numbers metal song (save for a brief moment in ambience). "Beware" is a Much, much tighter than their last experimental album (which had some wonderful moments, but was unfocused). "Hole in the Earth" has been deemed extremely heavy but I've seen Brit Rock bands deliver just as much noise - which is convenient considering Chino takes on Bono's voice. "Rapture" is a by-the-numbers metal song (save for a brief moment in ambience). "Beware" is a beautiful anthem complete with layers of cricket noise, and "Cherry Waves" finds the band trying to sing in the middle of violent storm in the middle of the lonely ocean. "Mein" proves Chino had Radiohead's song "Where I End and You Begin" on repeat, and "Xerces" does plenty of mystified shoegazing. Really disjointed, but furthering Deftones's range with a large handful of fantastic moments. Expand
  18. jonnyl
    Nov 2, 2006
    this is hardcore new wave at its best.
  19. joshb
    Nov 22, 2006
    i haven't been able to take it out of any of my cd players since i got it. amazing!!!!!!
  20. JacobB
    Nov 4, 2006
    I've always been a casual Deftones fan. I don't own any of their albums but I like Minerva, Back to School, Change, all the usual. This album however, has made me totally fall in love with Deftones. I haven't plugged into an album for weeks and not gotten tired of it like I have with this album. I don't know how else to explain this album except by saying its amazing. I've always been a casual Deftones fan. I don't own any of their albums but I like Minerva, Back to School, Change, all the usual. This album however, has made me totally fall in love with Deftones. I haven't plugged into an album for weeks and not gotten tired of it like I have with this album. I don't know how else to explain this album except by saying its amazing. Chino's voice is used like a musical instrument, a beautiful one at that, and I wouldn't change a damn thing about this album. Expand
  21. meghanl
    Dec 17, 2006
    excellent. the deftones have finally reached their potential and a new level of sophistication. abe cunningham's drumming, long the band's weakest link, has improved dramatically.
  22. JR
    Dec 6, 2006
    It's not White Pony, but it continues in that direction with a lot of Chino Moreno's Team Sleep vocal experience mixed in. Lyrics and are standard Deftones quality - which means they're brilliantly poetic.
  23. ivant
    Oct 31, 2006
    Wow!
  24. BrianV
    Oct 30, 2006
    Saturday Night Wrist is a solid culmination of what Deftones have been doing the past two albums. The songs here surpass the self-titled effort but fall short of the artier White Pony.
  25. Declanm
    Jun 11, 2007
    one of there best albums superb apart from pink cellophone what rubbish would be a 10 apart from that song
  26. SteveH
    Nov 1, 2006
    As others have been saying, this is a great album, but White Pony is such a masterpiece that it would be very unprobably for this band to produce any future albums that even come close.
  27. carlosf
    Nov 1, 2006
    remember the red hot chilli peppers? remember when no one "got"their music? well the deftones aren't here to please you or the radio.. i love the deftones, and well i don't care if they ever make it into mainstream or play on the radio.. who needs another band with too much executive influence?"?? they are a garage band! and that is where their soul lies.. all about the music.. remember the red hot chilli peppers? remember when no one "got"their music? well the deftones aren't here to please you or the radio.. i love the deftones, and well i don't care if they ever make it into mainstream or play on the radio.. who needs another band with too much executive influence?"?? they are a garage band! and that is where their soul lies.. all about the music.. the music they want to make. Expand
  28. StevenF
    Nov 18, 2006
    I was ready to be dissapointed with this album because the release date kept being pushed back. This is their best album to date. It was well worth the wait.
  29. BradleyB
    Nov 2, 2006
    Deftones return to form after the disappointing 2003 album. Up there with White Pony and Around the Fur.
  30. DaveH
    Dec 13, 2006
    I'm surprised by 2 things. That this album got such high ratings and that most deftones fans view White Pony as their best album. IMO, their best album is Around The Fur and it's not even debatable. That said, this is a good album although it takes a few listens through to really get it. Better than the S/T for sure.
  31. AEOlson
    Dec 17, 2006
    Should have been the follow up to White Pony, leaps and bounds better than self-titled
  32. ZachC
    Dec 28, 2006
    A sure departure from past efforts, but there's definite progress in their music. There's a more ambient, restrained quality on this album which is further enhanced by the great guitar work, as well as Chino drowning his voice in calm atmospherics. There are lightning flashes, however, in the form of "hole in the earth" and my favorite "Kimdracula", as if to reassure their fans A sure departure from past efforts, but there's definite progress in their music. There's a more ambient, restrained quality on this album which is further enhanced by the great guitar work, as well as Chino drowning his voice in calm atmospherics. There are lightning flashes, however, in the form of "hole in the earth" and my favorite "Kimdracula", as if to reassure their fans that the Deftones haven't forgotten what's gotten them this far. Definitely a solid album on all fronts, a great collective effort by one of the groups flying under the "nu-metal" tag that still produces introspective and progressive records. Great band, great effort, look forward to more. Expand
  33. JonG
    Dec 7, 2006
    I'd almost call this a return to form for the Deftones, but nobody can really tell just what their form is, so I'll kick this off by saying it's a big diversion from their self titled, and in a good way. Hole In The Earth is a great album opener that illustrates the problems the band has been going through in the last year, and from there it's all awesome until the I'd almost call this a return to form for the Deftones, but nobody can really tell just what their form is, so I'll kick this off by saying it's a big diversion from their self titled, and in a good way. Hole In The Earth is a great album opener that illustrates the problems the band has been going through in the last year, and from there it's all awesome until the Contra code song, which is skippable. Rats!Rats!Rats! is a hit in the face much like Hexagram was on the self titled, and Pink Cellphone is either the greatest thing ever or the worst filler track of all time. Buy it now and see them live, they might not be around much longer. Expand
  34. SpiralStairs
    Oct 31, 2006
    I think SNW is just the latest in a long string of classic 'tones realeases. Personally, I think WP will stand as thier masterpiece, though I'd argue for all the others (well, maybe not Adrenalin). PC is awful, hence the 1 point deduction but the rest of the record is insane...They've been listening to alot of MBV and The Cure lately... I don't understand why everyone I think SNW is just the latest in a long string of classic 'tones realeases. Personally, I think WP will stand as thier masterpiece, though I'd argue for all the others (well, maybe not Adrenalin). PC is awful, hence the 1 point deduction but the rest of the record is insane...They've been listening to alot of MBV and The Cure lately... I don't understand why everyone is still harping on this divide b/w the "metal" tones fans (Adrenalin Rules!/etc.) and the pop ones (WP is the single greatest record ever made/etc.) The Deftones haven't been a "metal" or "pop" band for a long time now...they transcend any and all tags and genres. Remember, in the 80's, the cure were dismissed as "goth", now they are seen as the inspiration for countless bands, across all genre lines. I think history will remember the deftones the same way. And stop riffing on the 2003 ST record...it rules. Collapse
  35. DeepG
    Nov 12, 2006
    the sacto boys are back! After coming across as very down-and-nearly-out on their self-titled album...they really come back on this record re-energized, and loving what they do...and the results: deftones' most cohesive and eclectic record to date...and only time will tell as to whether this one of their finest works!
  36. AndrewG
    Nov 13, 2006
    This is a very strange record, but somehow it feels like the Deftones have grown into the band they've always meant to be. "Rapture" and "Rats!Rats!Rats!" (which is absolutly fierce) are here to remind us that the Deftones were once a metal band, but the bulk of the album is given to dreamier, softer songs. It's still a very heavy album, but the heaviness comes from the density This is a very strange record, but somehow it feels like the Deftones have grown into the band they've always meant to be. "Rapture" and "Rats!Rats!Rats!" (which is absolutly fierce) are here to remind us that the Deftones were once a metal band, but the bulk of the album is given to dreamier, softer songs. It's still a very heavy album, but the heaviness comes from the density and tone of the album, not just raging guitars. "Beware" is one of the best songs the band has ever written, and is worth the price of the album itself. "Pink Cellphone" is either entirely genius or utterly, offensively stupid. Pretty impressive (though occasionally confusing) album. Expand
  37. paulc
    Nov 26, 2006
    As with most deftones albums it's a matter of sorting out the gems from the noise. Gems include: Hole in the Earth Beware Xerces If these were the only tracks on the album it would be more than worth it.
  38. Vincent
    Dec 16, 2006
    excellent addition. the best tones' record since the white pony. atmospheric, dense, angular, harmonic and melodic, and it still rocks out well enough
  39. SeamusS
    Dec 27, 2006
    The most accurate review is the one claiming that if anyone has interest in Heavy Music, this is a must. I, though not a fan of metal per say, have always thought of the Deftones as something of a guilty pleasure, I felt awkward admitting to listening to them. This changed it. It's a beautiful and atmospheric album. Please listen to it. The highlights are "Cherry Waves" and "Kimdracula".
  40. HexG.
    Nov 17, 2007
    The album feels a bit lackluster when compared with their previous two albums (Self Titled and White Pony). As good as "Hole In The Earth" and "Beware The Water" are, songs like "Mein" and "Pink Cellphone" let the album down a small bit.
  41. DG.
    Nov 27, 2007
    Cohesive and beautifully produced, a big improvement over that last self-titled record. Maybe not as vital as 'White Pony', but nearly every song on here is perfect (though I have a hard time listening through the collab with Annie).
  42. Nov 17, 2011
    My favorite Deftones record with some peaceful and Violent melodies mixed together to make it a perfect album. We will be waiting for Chi until he wakes up.
  43. Feb 20, 2012
    More auto-pilot than its predecessor, SNW feels more empty and less dense than it should do, with 'Cherry Waves' and 'Combat' trying to elevate this into something a lot more vocal driven. Unfortunately this album struggles to connect in a way which their others did. Deftones are at a crossroads here in which direction to head next...and it shows.
  44. Jul 8, 2012
    it's everything you could ask for in a Deftones album, and more. their music perfectly blends alternative metal with shoegaze, creating a new experience and an altogether enjoyable experimentation. my only complaint would be the track "Pink Cellphone" and their choice of spoken word; i often end up skipping that track altogether in my regular playthroughs.
  45. Feb 1, 2015
    A truly incredible masterpiece in it's own respect. This album takes you to another world and makes you wonder if you can ever go back. Xerces tears your soul out through your ears.

1. There's little of the fire and invention that characterised 2000's White Pony. [Nov 2006, p.140]
  2. Features the kind of envelope-pushing fans have come to expect.
  3. If you’ve even the slightest interest in ‘heavy’ music, you simply must make Saturday Night Wrist an integral part of your record collection.