Sigh No More - Mumford & Sons
7.9

Review this album

1. Aug 18, 2010
    Aside from the fact that the lead singer occasionally sounds like Dave Matthews (not even sure how that is possible through his accent), this is a really good album.
  2. Nov 22, 2010
    If this album is panned by critics then I don't want to have "good critical taste." Seriously, what are the losers at Pitchfork thinking? Not a masterpiece, but definitely a great listen multiple times through.
  3. Aug 30, 2010
    Hands down one of my favorite albums. What I really like is the lyrical writing, Mr Mumford seems to use allot of literary references that ranges from Steinbeck to Shakespeare. Their also seems to be a bit of existentialism in there as well as a delving into the metaphysical. Not much of a folk fan but if there are more bands like these I may have to fall in love with the genre.
  4. Dec 6, 2010
    Absolutely amazing music. I just discovered them a week ago and can't stop listening to them. The lyrics are well done, with an intelligent feel to them.
  5. Nov 9, 2010
    Great Album! Upon second listen, this is certainly one of the best albums of the year. The banjo makes these songs so beautiful, and the hoedown sections are so energetic and moving. In fact, even the silences are perfect as well.
  6. Dec 29, 2010
    The point of the Pitchfork review is that this record sounds completely contrived. They give you harmonies a la Fleet Foxes, but it feels forced, not natural. They basically sound like what every band at your crappy local Irish pub is trying to be. Unfortunately, even with success in their efforts, it comes across as an incongruous pastiche of tacky musical tricks. They might have sounded good at one time or another, but here they're smooshed together without an ounce of creativity or musical adventurism. They don't challenge the listener in the slightest nor do they break any musical ground. And for those of you who think that Pitchfork 'disdains' popularity, check out their review for the new Kanye album... Expand
  7. Nov 27, 2010
    So much LOVE for this Album, so much passion in the playing, and the lyrics are just so true. it's definitely the best album of 2009.
  8. Dec 7, 2010
    Pitchforks Stephen "the Douche" Deusner's review of Sigh No More clearly demonstrates his ineptitude as a music critic. His lack of critical thinking must stem from his exposure to Tennessee public schooling. Remember, grain of salt people, grain of salt.
  9. Feb 5, 2011
    I suppose I am like the majority of people who's eyes (and ears) where recently opened to Mumford & Sons. Maybe if I were more privy to the world of "alt folk" I would I would not think so much of this album, judging from the scores provided by people with a broader knowledge of this genre. What I can say is that if this is the worst, blandest and emptiest that this genre has to offer, then those of you who are "in the know" are at best very lucky people and at worst very cynical and pretentious.
    For the average music lover who's Ipods contain artists ranging from Jon Mayer to Bun B to maybe even Eva Cassidy, this album is a breath of fresh air. Maybe it's because the perspectives of the 2 camps are so different that most will either love it or hate it. Personally, I loved it.
  10. Jan 19, 2011
    This is by far my favourite album for 2010. I downloaded it off the net but had to buy it because I liked it so much and knew it was a cd I would want to have a real copy of. Every song on this album is full of power and awesomeness. The lyrics are unforgettable and the music pulls you right in. I have listened to this album over and over again and still have not got tired (which is saying a lot). I can't wait until they put out another album. Expand
  11. Jan 30, 2011
    Dear MadJ: You sound like a douchebag. You are exactly the kind of person I hate: The kind of person who doesn't really care that much about music, they just want to sound smart on the Internet. The kind of person that will agree and worship at the feet of Pitchfork. This is an amazing album, a great sound, soulful vocals, and it's just generally a crowd-pleaser. I'm 16 years old and I love it; so does my 55-year old mother. In summary, I point to the two reviews you have written: the one for this album, and one for MBDTF, giving it a 10. Which both happen to be the same scores Pitchfork gave them. Pitchfork publishes their own reviews, we don't need to read the summaries from you. Expand
  12. Apr 7, 2011
    By now, if you haven't heard the name "Mumford & Sons," you may be living in a cave with your fingers in your ears. With only one album, theyâ
  13. Jan 2, 2013
    Well enchained melodies constituted this record of Mr. Mumford and his sons. A dramatic air of country, bluegrass, folk and even celta is breathed with gladness, though I would say the first half of the record owns the best aroma, in particular the track "I gave you all", with an expectant intro and stunning ending. Mr. Mumford's voice is like a ring to the finger. It wears perfectly to the banjo, mandolin, piano and well-stationed lyrics. A record that deserves to be listened to. Collapse
  14. gbv
    Apr 25, 2011
    I got suspicious when everyone started falling all over themselves for these guys so quickly. (Something smells fishy when d-bags and college girls are lining up right away to worship a "folk" band. There's really no reason for the rootsy instruments and wardrobe - it's really all about the big indulgent swelling of sound here. Check out Frightened Rabbit or others that do that as well, but have so much more real art & soul behind it. The Decemberists are so brainy and skilled, they can certainly pull it off. I'm sorry, but IMO these guys are hacks. Expand
  15. Jul 22, 2013
    Genre: Folk Rock
    One of my favourite albums of all time. Marcus Mumford's voice is truly unique and he infuses each and every song with incredible passions whether it be on the more upbeat songs such as 'The Cave' or 'Little Lion Man' or the dramatic 'Thistle and Weeds'.

On a side note if you've not seen them live then do so. I went to watch them in Lewes recently and they were fantastic.
  16. Jun 16, 2011
    68 out of 100...are you **** kidding me?! Listen, I don't even know where to begin with this album. It's one of the best debut albums i've ever heard, this was their first...debut...and it's absolutely phenomenal. If you don't like things that are different, or unique, or original, than crank your new Ke$ha album and have a **** blast! but if you're interested in listening to something new and fresh and ....i dont know...actual music...than i suggest listening to Mumford, they are folk, so if you know you don't like that kind of music, don't even try it. otherwise, don't be a douche, go buy this album! Expand
  17. May 23, 2011
    I'm sorry but I've gotta go along with Pitchfork on this one. It has one song that sticks, I guess for lyrical/personal/whatever reasons. ("I Gave You All." I freakin' love that song.) But the aesthetic from one song to the next is *identical.*

I'm not saying that they don't have a certain knack for building up the tempo to a cacophony and letting Marcus Mumford's voice ride the
    instruments like a wave. They're not half bad at it. But they aren't exactly the best there's ever been, yet they do it on EVERY SONG. On a contemporary level, Arcade Fire and The Decemberists easily have them beat at that. What makes those bands as good as they are (or great, in Arcade Fire's case) is that they don't copy this formula on every song. They show off their wealth of other talents.

When you can do something pretty-well-but-not-great, as M&S do with their folk anthemic climaxes, you should think about switching it up and writing a new song once in a while. And P4k, I'm sad to say, is spot on. When every song has the exact same formula, the album as a whole starts to sound disingenuous and I become totally disconnected with it. Imagine if Fleet Foxes had used the wordless chorus-double verse-A Capella 3-4-part harmonies on EVERY song on Sun Giant as they did with Mykonos. It would've been horrible, and a real slight to the genre of folk rock.

I'm not going to say that this isn't a good band. (Yet.) If they could chill on the soft-loud formula like some sort of folk rock Nirvana, maybe use it on one or two songs in an album, and use the rest of the space for--I dunno--something else, I can hear what they're made of.
  18. May 27, 2011
    I think The Cave and Little Lion Man are great songs. I have tried to listen to the rest of the songs on the album, and I just think they're bantha fodder. But who cares, those two songs alone are worth having your jetpack malfunction after being hit by accident by Han Solo. The banjo is boss.
  19. Sep 28, 2011
    Absolutely wonderful. I heard this on the radio one day months ago, and I'm still listening. blown away completely by the level of musicianship here. Lyrics jump out, and the folky sound makes you want to sing along to every song!
  20. Jun 18, 2011
    This may be one of my favorite albums of all time. The music is fantastic and the band themselves are amazing. They're so good that they performed the song 'Timshel' on the BRIT awards! I love all the songs so much that I can not choose a favorite! I am eagerly awaiting their second album.. Mumford and Sons FTW!!!
  21. Aug 6, 2011
    This isn't a terrible album, but there's nothing that makes it stand out at all. It might be a stretch to call it a "good" album really. It's an album with good songs. I don't think any song on this album is a complete dud, but that isn't the problem. The problem is that every song uses the same build up crescendo triple forte formula and it wears thin on anyone with a musical backbone. They're clearly a talented band who have the potential to create something fantastic, but this isn't it. Expand
  22. Oct 21, 2012
    If Mumford & Sons never put out another track for the rest of time, no fan of them would notice as long as they put out the song again with new cover art. Catch my drift?
  23. Feb 29, 2012
    One of the worst named bands of recent times came out with a surprisingly good album of country rock. While not the most original record (there are hints of 88-91 era Michael Stipe/REM throughout), the record is a nice breath of fresh air amongst what's getting played over the last year or two. I think the album is a bit front-loaded with the majority of my favourite tracks in the first half of the album, although Dustbowl Dance does nicely as a penultimate track. The livelier tracks work better for me than the mellow ones. Expand
  24. Oct 23, 2011
    Horrible! Trite, repetitive, excruciatingly bad lyrics. Cannot understand the fuss over them. I only wish John Belushi were still alive so he could break that overused banjo over his knee.
  25. Apr 6, 2012
    Except for the hit singles The Cave and Little Lion Man, there is hardly anything else that this album offers. Moreover, Little Lion Man fails to compete with the other other of its genre. The albums is not an absolute disaster. It's just that it requires a lot of refinement.
  26. Feb 2, 2012
    Some real gems exist in this album. That being said, there are also a few really bad tunes in the mix. I do appreciate thier brand of folk. Generally a refreshing album and I would recommend it to anyone looking for something a little different. Their style reminds me a lot of the Avett Brothers...and I do enjoy listening to the Avett Brothers. I look forward to their 2nd release to see where it goes from here. Expand
  27. Sep 22, 2012
    Unbelievably chilling and beautiful. The songs are all a bit similar to one another, but if you take your time and listen to the abum more, you learn to love every single song.
  28. Sep 27, 2012
    This is an album that truly changed my perspective on music. Such passion seems to be put into every chord and every word, I am in shock that anyone could not have fallen instantly in love with this band. People need to sit down with this album and really appreciate its message.
  29. Nov 9, 2012
    Mumfords & Sons' Sigh No More combines some great folk-sounding guitar with some urban riffs and meaningful lyrics. It's the best release of 2010.

1. May 10, 2011
    Sigh No More sees four-piece Mumford and Sons strike out for equally distinctive territory, carving out a mostly winning--if nigglingly naive--debut that deserves an audience to match its impressive convictions.
    Thanks to a volatile mix of the uplifting and gloomy--there's a bitter murder tale ("Dust Bowl Dance") and lingering visions of death ("Timshel")--Sigh No More transfixes.
  3. Despite any popularity which may come their way, what Mumford & Sons have produced in Sigh No More is nothing more than an empty shell of a half-decent record.