The Bedlam In Goliath - The Mars Volta
8.4

Review this album

1. Sep 10, 2010
    Their hardest album and another classic. Great funk influence on this album and it is really strong from start to finish with the exception of TM. Needs to be listened to several times before making a decision.
  2. Dec 4, 2010
    The Bedlam In Goliath takes me back to The Mars Volta's first album, De-loused In The Comatorium. More rock, less ambient. The opener Aberinkula, right off the bat, just starts out hard. Goliath, Wax Simulacra, and Ilyena are all great tracks. All In All, The Bedlam In Goliath is in my top three favorite Mars Volta albums. A-
  3. j30
    Dec 1, 2011
    The Bedlam In Goliath is Mars Volta's best body of work to date. The songwriting and music is as good as it's ever been. I absolutely love this album.
  4. Nov 21, 2011
    The first few listens might not capture your attention, but after that you won't be able to stop listening to this album. It never quite reaches the brilliance of Frances the mute but it comes damn near to it. Sounding more like dream theater because of the heavier direction of the music, TMV leaves the 'titans of prog' in the dust and never looks back.
  5. Aug 23, 2013
    The Bedlam In Goliath is mental, for that, and many other reasons I love it! The Mars Volta are one of my favourite bands, and this is my favourite album by them. It's the most insane, most funky, and has the least amount of weird noises of any Mars Volta album (except from maybe Noctourniquet... But that's different). This album is consistently brilliant and is ever changing with it's styles and lyrics. The best songs are Goliath, Metatron, Wax Simulatra and Agadez.
    The Bedlam In Goliath reperesents The Mars Volta at it's very best, with consistently brilliant songs. So I give this album a... 99/100!
  6. Oct 22, 2013
    This fourth epic tale from the Mars Volta does not have the sprawling 10 minute plus tracks of it's predessesors... but that's completely acceptable given the presence of tracks like 'Goliath', 'Cavalettas' and 'Metatron' which give no quarter to 4/4. 'Ilyena' paints a soundscape of it's own in 5 minutes, and 'Conjugal Burns' wraps it all up in a red bow. Let's talk about the cover art, too. Man! There hasn't been album art this great since ELP's 'Tarkus'. If you happen to come across 'Bedlam' on vinyl, frame that baby! Expand

1. This should have been the album where the Mars Volta either wore the formula down to nothing or abruptly turned in a different direction, but instead the band created an album that nearly perfects what they've been working toward.
  2. Most of the time, however, the band makes a righteous racket that straddles the worlds of prog rock, funk, fusion jazz and world music, with Eastern motifs spicing 'Aberinkula' and a bit of cosmic blues making its way into 'Conjugal Burns.'
  3. For the most part, this is the heaviest record that they’ve recorded and the most far-out as well.