The Family Jewels

8.9

Review this album

1. Oct 25, 2015
    10/10 - "An album with a distinct dual personality, Marina’s dazzling ‘The Family Jewels’ pitches the confident, MTV Awards-headlining superstar of our dreams against a more self-deprecating girl-next-door Marina who’s dead set on Supertramping and vamping her way out of her fug" - NME
  2. Sep 13, 2015
    I think it's the best album of Marina! I love that Marina talks about other topics that aren't love because I'm tired of listening to the same love songs.. I love 'Seventeen' 'Guilty' 'The Outsider' 'Hermit the Frog' 'Numb' Wonderful!!
  3. May 29, 2016
    Here is a effortless debut album. Marina over-dramatic ironic weirdness simply shines at its best. Ok, its a quirky production that some may not like from the first listen, but if you can truly share your heart with this lyrics about a problematic persona, you can enjoy it very well. Once again, an album, that shows you the intense way to hollywood dream at the same time pointing out theHere is a effortless debut album. Marina over-dramatic ironic weirdness simply shines at its best. Ok, its a quirky production that some may not like from the first listen, but if you can truly share your heart with this lyrics about a problematic persona, you can enjoy it very well. Once again, an album, that shows you the intense way to hollywood dream at the same time pointing out the illusional treasures from it, a extreme gutsy work. Expand
  4. Feb 9, 2016
    This album is so amazing, creative and unique. The progression Marina has made as an artist is incredible too. I love the concept of the songs, how they're all authentic to herself. Even though I don't listen to it anymore, I used to adore this album very much. Marina delivers in every possible way in this record. Least favorite track would be Shampain, favorite track is... well that'sThis album is so amazing, creative and unique. The progression Marina has made as an artist is incredible too. I love the concept of the songs, how they're all authentic to herself. Even though I don't listen to it anymore, I used to adore this album very much. Marina delivers in every possible way in this record. Least favorite track would be Shampain, favorite track is... well that's impossible to choose. I wouldn't say this album is flawless since it definitely has some flaws, but doesn't that what makes an album raw and real? Expand
  5. Aug 28, 2014
    Perfect. Perfect. Perfect. Perfect. Perfect. Perfect. Perfect. Perfect. Perfect. Perfect. Perfect. Perfect. Perfect. Perfect. Perfect. Perfect. Perfect. Perfect. Perfect. Perfect. Perfect. Perfect. Perfect. Perfect. Perfect. Perfect. Perfect. Perfect. Perfect. Perfect. Perfect. Perfect. Perfect. Perfect. Perfect. This is the perfection in form of an album.
  6. May 23, 2011
    Marina 'Mad Hatter' Diamandis displays brilliant talent, wicked humour and a sense of complete and utter honesty. Her music is real, it's her and it's very much alive.
  7. Sep 15, 2015
    I can't believe how an album can amaze me like this. All tracks are perfect in their style, the lyrics are so strange, amazing and funny! The songs are really catchy and funny, they are great. And Mowgli's Road really makes me happy, idk why but there's something in the song that's very happy. Best songs are I Am Not A Robot, Mowgli's Road and Obsessions.
  8. Oct 9, 2015
    Amazing album. This is a good example for debuts. Perfect songs, good lyrics and Marina wa so original on this album. I am a big fan of this album, one of the best albums I've ever heard.
  9. Nov 9, 2015
    Com certeza não é um dos melhores álbuns da Marina, mas para um disco de estreia é ótimo. Temos vários "hits" nesse álbum, porém a mídia não liga muito para artistas "desconhecidos". Oh No! é um exemplo disso. Umas das diferenças da Marina é a sua voz, que foi muito bem aproveitada neste disco.
  10. Oct 2, 2011
    A real pop singer get the charge that Madonna left for someone to catch on. Kylie Minogue got it in "Aphrodite", and now Marina Diamandis deliver this in "The Family Jewels". With powerful vocals, noisy drums, and sticky lyrics, she got the essence for making an intelligent album, popular, but not too popular. "Shampain", "Mowgli's Road", "Hermit The Frog" e "Oh No!" give us one the bestA real pop singer get the charge that Madonna left for someone to catch on. Kylie Minogue got it in "Aphrodite", and now Marina Diamandis deliver this in "The Family Jewels". With powerful vocals, noisy drums, and sticky lyrics, she got the essence for making an intelligent album, popular, but not too popular. "Shampain", "Mowgli's Road", "Hermit The Frog" e "Oh No!" give us one the best pop songs of 2010. Expand
  11. Feb 21, 2011
    A good debut. Not perfect, but good. It has some catchy songs, some nice songs, some meaningful songs and some not so good songs. I personally enjoyed this album, it's feel good music with quirk, but i feel this album does lack in parts, i can't quite put my finger on what is lacking. But all in all - good pop album that's worth a listen.
  12. Mar 24, 2012
    Marina Diamandis is simply brilliant. She has a very unique voice, she is a great musician and a talented songwriter. "The Family Jewels" her first effort, revolves around the much used topic of fame, but Marina approaches it with a lot of personality. "Are You Satisfied?", "Shampain" or "Mowgli's Road" are atipycal songs, but great songs nonetheless. She also tries some more pop friendlyMarina Diamandis is simply brilliant. She has a very unique voice, she is a great musician and a talented songwriter. "The Family Jewels" her first effort, revolves around the much used topic of fame, but Marina approaches it with a lot of personality. "Are You Satisfied?", "Shampain" or "Mowgli's Road" are atipycal songs, but great songs nonetheless. She also tries some more pop friendly sounds with "Hollywood" and "Oh No!" and she does it very well. It's not a perfect album, it has some flaws, but it is very solid, and more importantly, very intelligent. It is a shame that she didn't make it big, but she wasn't so mainstream after all. I'm sure her next efforts will be, at least, as good as this one. She has it.

Highlights: Are You Satisfied?, Hermit The Frog, Oh No!
  13. Sep 19, 2015
    I feel that this remains to be Marina's weakest work, though others will argue that it is her strongest. Some of the album proves to be divine, with some tracks such as "Shampain" and "Guilty" proving to be highlights, while others such as "I Am Not A Robot" and "Hermit The Frog" leave much to be desired.
  14. Sep 5, 2016
    Marina's debut is near perfection. It contains the right amount of subtle self-loathing mixed in with beats and textured vocals. Overall her strongest effort to date. Download: Shampain, I Am Not a Robot, Hermit the Frog, Oh No!
  15. Apr 2, 2015
    An insanely fun album and a solid debut! Marina reminds of Lily Allen on this album, since they're both upbeat and have big personalities. My personal favorites are Mowgli's Road, Guilty, and Oh No!, but there are a lot of highlights spaced nicely throughout this album.
  16. May 27, 2015
    This album will forever stay the best album she ever released, every song has its own world and you can actually see that a lot of work went in the songs
  17. Jan 11, 2016
    The Family Jewels marca o começo da carreira da Marina, com músicas boas e letras bem escritas. Não é o melhor álbum do mundo, mas é bom.

Pontos Altos: Oh No!, Hollywood, I Am Not a Robot
    Pontos Baixos: Hermit The Frog, Guilty, Obsessions
  18. Jun 28, 2016
    Bíblia Sagrada que hinoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
  19. Sep 12, 2016
    10/10 - Antigo testamento define. Não há como pular nenhuma música já que tudo flui suavemente, desde a new wave "Are You Satisfied?" ao ambiente melodramático de "Rootless". Sem dúvidas um dos melhores discos dos anos 2010.

1. ["Hermit the Frog" is] a rare moment of fun, though; mostly Ms. Diamandis doesn’t let herself get comfortable. She’s strongest on the songs that nod, obliquely or otherwise, to fame.
  2. The Family Jewels is a record that is creatively ubiquitous and aggressive, traits that make this album not unlike Amy Winehouse's Back to Black or maybe even Liz Phair's Exile in Guyville.
  3. On her debut album, The Family Jewels, Diamandis backs up her bark with a promising bite.