8.2

Review this album

1. Sep 14, 2010
    Recently got my hands on this album and can safely say it is one of the best things I've heard in years, it's saddening but uplifting in a way The Arcade Fire could only do, but with two guitars and an upright drum kit. I know I'm five years too late to try look hip by enjoying Low, but hell, when it's this good punctuality doesn't matter.
  2. Jul 23, 2012
    Here Low make more noise than usual, delivering a gloomy but classy rock record. Opener "Monkey" has a bass line that reminds me of Smashing Pumpkins "Bullet With Butterfly Wings". The upbeat "California" follows and we're wondering is this really a Low record. The rock continues as the album progresses but we do get some more of the traditional Low sound. The final 3 tracks do a great job in closing off the album - "Pissing" being one of the records highlight. At times the tempo dies a bit and it could have been trimmed by 2 songs, but overall it's really good stuff here. Expand

1. A whole that's less than the sum of its parts, a bittersweet pill that's best taken in small doses. [Feb 2005, p.88]
  2. Indie rock's maturing avatars of tense lethargy paint life as an epic fade. [21 Jan 2005, p.88]
  3. Whether this is an album that actually suits them is another matter, but it actually makes them feel entirely relevant and, for as prolific a decade-old band, that’s high praise indeed.