8.5

Review this album

1. Nov 28, 2010
    His most inconsistent effort in my opinion. Still many standout tracks of course, notably Nausea, No Complaints and Think I'm In Love, but a few dud experiments too (Strange Apparition and 1000 BPM). I appreciate this album is an attempt to go back to the eclectic nature of his early albums, with an obviously more electro leaning, but it I think he was just that little bit more interestingHis most inconsistent effort in my opinion. Still many standout tracks of course, notably Nausea, No Complaints and Think I'm In Love, but a few dud experiments too (Strange Apparition and 1000 BPM). I appreciate this album is an attempt to go back to the eclectic nature of his early albums, with an obviously more electro leaning, but it I think he was just that little bit more interesting and that little bit more mental on the likes of 'Mellow Gold' and 'Odelay'. Brilliant in parts, less so in others. Expand
  2. Sep 7, 2010
    Following up, as well as straying from "Loser" was a tough enough move for Beck to make. But his next album, Odelay, is Beck's best album to date. Sea Change was an amazing yet downbeat record; The Information is, in my opinion, a mix of all of his albums... and thats a good thing.
  3. j30
    Feb 19, 2012
    The Information is Beck returning to his weird side from Midnight Vultures days. The album is not as inviting as Midnight Vultures, but still a nice detour. I do love Nigel Godrich's production and album's "do-it-yourself" sticker album cover.

1. This is their third collaboration, but neither the casual, light-bodied "Mutations" nor the intimate "Sea Change" anticipated this kind of flowering. [24 Sep 2006]
  2. If Beck gets better as he gets madder, this is definitely his best since 'Midnite Vultures' - maybe even since 'Odelay'.
  3. Without the bizarre lyrical invention and fuck-shit-up whimsy of his earlier work, Beck's attempts at party jams come off woefully overwrought and flat, making the darker bits interspersed throughout seem intriguing by default.