• Record Label: Elektra
8.8

Review this album

1. BenC
    Oct 5, 2002
    I am an old fan of the 97's, and of course was kind of bummed to see Rhett go solo for this album, but I bought it and I think it's great! Too Far to Care is my fav 97's CD, and while some of his songs on this album may seem kind of soft and poppy, if you imagine them with more aggressive instrumentation you know that Rhett Miller's songwriting has essentially remained I am an old fan of the 97's, and of course was kind of bummed to see Rhett go solo for this album, but I bought it and I think it's great! Too Far to Care is my fav 97's CD, and while some of his songs on this album may seem kind of soft and poppy, if you imagine them with more aggressive instrumentation you know that Rhett Miller's songwriting has essentially remained the same. I give it a 9 because I don't want to seem like a fanboy. Rhett Miller is a great artist, and I hope he hits it big. Expand
  2. jamesl
    Oct 6, 2002
    a pop gem
  3. BrianC
    Oct 8, 2002
    Seems like to me, the next logical step after Satellite Rides. Good that it came out under Rhett Miller as opposed to another 97s record since it only has one song with a train beat...fans would be outraged...
  4. FredK
    Oct 26, 2002
    great guitar work, excellent drumming, well-produced. one of those discs I look forward to hearing.....happy-feet city....
  5. GaryO
    Nov 3, 2002
    World Inside the World is a timeless classic, the rest of the songs are just great.
  6. MattM
    Oct 23, 2002
    Maybe not so lyrically strong (Four-Eyed Girl come to mind) as Old 97's material, the pop hooks are incredible and songs like "This is What I Do" "Our Love" and "Come Around" will definitely keep you wanting more. "The El" seems to be a song geared towards diehard Old 97's songs.

Miller explores his usual subjects -- getting out of places and into relationships -- with more unusual touches.
    Shallow and superficial. [#56, p.101]
  3. Miller offers more than enough quality material here to justify stepping out on his own: what he's occasionally lacking in energy, he largely makes up for with craft.... That said, it's unlikely to instigate much beyond some afternoon head-nodding, and even some of Miller's fans will be somewhat put off by the album's borderline MOR sound.