The Next Day - David Bowie
7.9

Review this album

1. Mar 16, 2013
    I really, really don't know what all the fuss is about. This is a very dull album indeed in my opinion. Bowie is lionized to such a degree that he is now beyond reproach in the minds of fans and critics alike.
  2. Mar 19, 2013
    I've been a Bowie fan for almost exactly 30 years now. The Next Day just leaves me flat. Compared to his works such as Scary Monsters, Low, Hours etc this album just seems plain dull. It jumps around all over the place, almost like Bowie is riffing on his entire catalogue in an effort to "round things up". Bowie has sure had his highs (Scary Monsters, Low) and his lows (Tin Machine, anything in the mid to late 80s) but sadly The Next Day isn't the Bowie I've come to know and love. The album's only saving grace is a single track, Valentine's Day. And the album cover.. sorry.. not clever at all. Expand
  3. Jun 1, 2013
    I'm a Bowie fan from before Ziggy Stardust. But "The Next Day" is pure crap. It's one of the most tuneless, soulless, robotic and boring pieces of rubbish to ever pollute the airwaves. It's even worse than that; it's excrutiatingly painful and puke-inducing to listen to. Even the most non-musically-talented garage band can do better than this.

Bowie is the third most brilliant
    musician to have ever lived (after Pink Floyd and Vangelis). What on earth went wrong?

And why do so many people appear to like this album (or are all the reviewers just paid record company shills)?
  4. Mar 28, 2013
    I liked David Bowie's older material but this album I just did not enjoy in the slightest. The song tempos are too slow, the lyrics are forgettable and the pacing was bad. Was just not my cup of tea.
  5. Apr 4, 2013
    This album is not the brilliant return to form it's cracked up to be. In fact, for me, it's a sad, disappointing end to a 10 year wait. I'm a well-worn Bowie fan and have been since the 70's but this is not the product of the creative genius he once was. The arrangements are all similar....there are no decent melodies, the lyrics are just plain weird. It sounds like all the instrumental tracks were recorded in about 3 days....they're all virtually the same. Then...Bowie just improvises a tune over the top....and I use the word 'tune' loosely. Even the packaging has almost illegible writing just to prolong the agony. Bowie's stuff is treated like The Emperor's New Clothes. None of the media want to say it like it is. For me, this album is simply light-years away from his best material....they're not really songs at all. So much repetition, no soaring choruses or clever chord changes. And to think this has all been kept under wraps until January making us all think this is a masterpiece. Very wide of the mark. He once made an album called 'Never Let Me Down.' Well I paid £13 for the album so I've done my bit.....a shame it wasn't reciprocated. Expand
  6. Apr 10, 2013
    A few bright spots, but i dont think this holds up against the majority of his other (successful) work.
    I understand that he's changed and times have changed as well but the band's sound is way too processed/antiseptic and could really benefit from a few adjustments. (although that's also been the case for the last few albums) To draw comparisons, I enjoyed more of Heathen than of this
    album.. no hate, just underwhelmed.

Also rolled my eyes a little at the uninspired cover
  7. Mar 12, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I love and followed David Bowie's career for over 30 years now and this album left me very disappointed. Most of the tunes are most defiantly original.. but original what? Maybe Bowie is evolving and my meager brain just doesn't comprehend this evolution. When you stack this album against Ziggy, Low, Station to Station or SM and SC it falls very far from the tree. There are a few bright spots..Title song is tight and shows Bowie's awesomeness.. The Stars(are out tonight) and Set the World on Fire are both creative but still nothing to write home about. You feel so lonely is reminiscent of Rock n Roll suicide.. which is the brightest star on this album. Many tunes just don't make sense and are really strange.
    I still and always will consider David Bowie one of the greatest songwriters and performers in the entire world. He is the ultimate showman. But I have written better tunes and hopefully I will live long enough to hear him put out another album that Rocks like Old Bowie can rock.

A vintage Bowie album for vintage Bowie people, of whom there are many; a reflection on his own journey and also on ours. [Apr 2013, p.92]
  2. Jun 4, 2013
    The Next Day is certainly his most engaging and intriguing since Outside. For now, that’s more than enough.
  3. May 2, 2013
    His innovative days may be long behind him, but Bowie's melodic gifts remain undiminished and his lyrics appropriately ambiguous.