Two Against Nature

8.4

Review this album

1. May 10, 2017
    The quality is generally there as you'd expect, but it's highly overrated (mostly by pretentious Dan groupies). It sounds like a Donald F (I couldn't just say his last name as his last name gets blanked out as if it was a swear word here....brilliant......well wait, maybe it's merited here) solo album, not a Dan album (in a weak Kamakiriad way, not a good Nightfly way). Flat andThe quality is generally there as you'd expect, but it's highly overrated (mostly by pretentious Dan groupies). It sounds like a Donald F (I couldn't just say his last name as his last name gets blanked out as if it was a swear word here....brilliant......well wait, maybe it's merited here) solo album, not a Dan album (in a weak Kamakiriad way, not a good Nightfly way). Flat and uninspired. We waited 20 yrs.......for this? ugh. I've listened and been a huge fan from Day 1, but on the whole, this was incredibly disappointing. Expand
  2. Dec 9, 2014
    An incredible sounding record with great tracks and no filler. It's the best parts of all their previous output combined. Every Dan album has tracks I love but in this case I love the whole album.
  3. JohnL
    Jul 24, 2006
    Most of their previous output rates a "10". They were as important an American band as their was in the 70's to be sure. I'd almost rate this an 8, but while I don't like it as much as Fagen's "the Nightfly", it is a great one to be sure. Morph the Cat is fine too, whilst the one that followed this is only good.
  4. KristianT
    Dec 16, 2004
    Its so good to have them back. This is a great album, definatly the best album in 2000. However it isnt as good as their newest release, Everything Must Go.
  5. JonathanH
    Apr 13, 2004
    Not bad, but forgettable
  6. DavidB
    Jul 23, 2002
    Steeley Dan has still got it
  7. JackaSS
    Jan 4, 2002
    best album

1. The music turns Aja's fusion-pop mode jumpier and snappier, sourer and trickier and less soothing--postfunk, whether anyone will admit it or not.
  2. Two Against Nature marks a timely return of two chilly, heartless hipsters.
  3. The lengthy, indistinguishable tracks could pass for a Daniel Lanois-produced collaboration between the Dave Matthews Band and Kenny G.