Under My Skin - Avril Lavigne
8.6

Review this album

1. May 15, 2012
    'Under My Skin' is a firm fan-favourite with Lavigne providing the perfect soundtrack for every pre-teen girl who has somehow been wronged. It is unsurprising then that pretty much every song on the album is about breaking up with your boyfriend, perhaps because he's pressuring you into sex or because he doesn't open doors for you or tell you that you're special. That becomes Lavigne's main weakness; she seems to be desperate to show us that she's a capable songwriter but she doesn't have many stories worth telling - even when she does, such as in "Slipped Away", a song about her grandfather who died, her lyrics fail to produce anything other than a basic, clumsy list of emotions ('I miss you so bad, I don't forget you, oh it's so sad'). There are a few lyrical highlights, especially in "My Happy Ending", but ultimately it's the production and vocal delivery that really makes this album shine, with Lavigne ambitiously (and quite desperately) merging together heavy rock guitars with golden pop melodies. Each song has been so expertly produced and so well thought out that it's a shame that the lyrics don't quite do them justice. Despite this, 'Under My Skin' has clearly had a lot of effort put into it and songs like "Fall To Pieces", "Together" and "Nobody's Home" definitely deserve a listen (if you can overlook her bland rhyming of 'home' with 'home')! Expand
  2. Mar 13, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Avril comes more ROCK than never in her second album. Just one song is can be really called POP, the funny 'He Wasn't that makes anyone to remember 'Sk8er Boy' from ''Let Go". The CD is full of guitars and some parts of piano and it goes from the first track until the last. This is a good work, with some errors as 'Freak Out' but with a few perfect songs as 'Nobody's Home' and 'Forgotten' Expand
  3. Jan 6, 2011
    Pra mim, não existe álbum melhor ou pior da Avril e esse é ótimo!
    Apesar de que a melhor música se encontra neste: Nobody's Home concerteza !
    A Avril veio para este trabalho com o estilo mais sombrio e dramático que agradou a maioria, concerteza é um ótimo sucessor de Let Go!
  4. Feb 21, 2011
    All in all a great effort. Not much to say other than that, some gorgeous songs, some power vocals, some pop rock - just an all round good album, not overly memorable, but not totally forgetable.
  5. Feb 28, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A Darker powerful music with a lot of emotion. Amazing album my favorite album from her she is lyrically experimenting that is obvious but she did good. Expand
  6. May 20, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Under My Skin is a perfect dark rock album.It's my favorite album in this world.Like so much her voice.My favorite song is Don't Tell Me Together and Take Me Away Expand
  7. Oct 10, 2011
    Avril lavigne's music has always been amazing and will always be. She is an inspration for people like me so if you hate her dont bother saying it just shutup
  8. Dec 29, 2011
    I certainly feel that this is one of her best albums. I enjoy the beat of the music, but mostly I love listening to the words. Not at all depressing, and they describe mostly images of heartbreak, hopelessness and especially loss, but she puts it as tastefully as she can. When describing things like that, sometimes you just need to let out all your emotions, which she does perfectly. Her voice is beautiful and crystal clear, and I just love listening to her. What I love about her songs is that it is often easy to conjure up images in reality, which gives it more feeling. One of my favourite songs off of this album is 'Slipped Away', as it is so touching and tear-jerking. A brilliant singer that deserves the best possible in the world. Expand
  9. Nov 1, 2011
    Unlike their first album, 'Under My Skin "shows an Avril, but perhaps more somber and serious, nonchalant fashion without talking about music and get lost inside and breakup, Avril is renewed again and manages to captivate us.
  10. Mar 11, 2012
    This is my favorite Avril album because it's so dark, but then again it's so emotional. This is one of those albums I could praise for hours. I recommend it to everyone.
  11. Mar 13, 2012
    Excellent album by Avril (What less could we expect frm her!). Loved the mellowed down songs ... really beautiful and amazing. I love the way she has purged the weight of sadness and regret to prepare herself for the next steps forward.
  12. Apr 26, 2012
    A lot of the songs on Under My Skin are darker, and deal with darker topics: death, rape,, suicide, sex, love, etc. It still holds a lot of teenage angst, but it does show her maturity range. She has a great voice on this album.
  13. Feb 16, 2013
    With a slight drop of good lyrics, 'Under My Skin' is a set of instrumental climate heavier and a darker, Lavigne fell in his work, but still, his fans have nothing to complain about.
  14. Mar 24, 2013
    Although much darker sounding than her previous album, Under My Skin shows true power, where every song is favorable in my opinion. It's been almost nine years since this album was released and I still listen to a tone of the songs from this record.
  15. Nov 1, 2013
    Once again, she created an album where every track is amazing in their own way. Freak Out and My Happy Ending are probably the two best which one did hit the top ten of billboards and the other probably would have if it had been released. All the vocals and music are beautifully done and the songs flow perfectly into each other.
  16. Feb 16, 2014
    It's been almost precisely 10 years since 'Under my Skin' was released ( and the very fact that Lavigne is still around only serves to prove her staying power) and regardless of it's reviews, it's total sales in excess of 10 million has served her well in establishing her niche in the world of music. In my opinion, however, it is the unreleased tracks that show the potential of this album. The opening track, 'Take Me Away', serves an addictively nostalgic introduction, with complicated, angst-laden lyrics. (My words are cold, I don't want them to hurt you.) 'Together', 'How does it feel' and 'Who Knows' back up the consistency, while 'slipped away' serves as a fitting tribute for Lavigne's Grandparent.
    This album may have it's critics, but for many, it recalls the departure of 'Let Go', both lyrically and musically, thrusting Avril into the mainstream once again, banishing any 'one-hit wonder' fears that may have arisen in 2004. Her future releases could do with more of ''Skins' powerful delivery.

1. A good, if slightly disappointing, follow-up.
  2. Under My Skin is a bit awkward, sometimes sounding tentative and unsure, sometimes clicking and surging on Avril's attitude and ambition.
  3. Both more satisfying and more formulaic.