Vespertine

9.1

Review this album

1. Nov 14, 2012
    Vespertine is her best work to date, as being the most carefully prepared in refined in sound matters, also her voice couldn't be better with highlights as "Undo" "Hidden Place" "Unison" and "Pagan Poetry".
  2. Dec 3, 2011
    CLASSIC. This album is a nonstop ride through heavenly clouds. The album opens with the Erie but rhythmically unique sample of hidden place. It almost seems to awaken your poor bored soul from hibernation to enjoy one of the best albums produced in human history. The album proceeds to serenade with Bjork one of a kind sweet vocal and soft electronic beats. This album for Bjork isCLASSIC. This album is a nonstop ride through heavenly clouds. The album opens with the Erie but rhythmically unique sample of hidden place. It almost seems to awaken your poor bored soul from hibernation to enjoy one of the best albums produced in human history. The album proceeds to serenade with Bjork one of a kind sweet vocal and soft electronic beats. This album for Bjork is like the wild beast being tamed into the most proficient cold assassin. This is her best. Expand
  3. Dec 3, 2013
    Listening to this album is like listening to the sound of angels, it is really a beautiful trip to the high above. I love all the elements in the songs, while listening to it I feel from calm to passionate and a lot more, that's why I love this album so much, it gives me a lot of feelings.
  4. Jan 22, 2015
    I love everything on this album is all so pure and magical, the concept and the production are perfect, hidden place seems to have been carved by angels, I love it.
  5. Oct 8, 2010
    After dabbling with 90's pop, jazz and experimental punk, it seems Bjork has finally found her Icelandic feet with Vespertine. The delicate beats and swooping vocals are almost chilling at times, Vespertine is a brilliant album. There was only one song (Sun in my Mouth) that I didn't really care for. The rest are as beautiful as one another- so emotional they make you feel as though youAfter dabbling with 90's pop, jazz and experimental punk, it seems Bjork has finally found her Icelandic feet with Vespertine. The delicate beats and swooping vocals are almost chilling at times, Vespertine is a brilliant album. There was only one song (Sun in my Mouth) that I didn't really care for. The rest are as beautiful as one another- so emotional they make you feel as though you just want to scream. Pagan poetry and Aurora are my favourites, but only just, as this album is one that I recommend anyone to hear. Expand
  6. MichaelR
    Jan 9, 2004
    A lot of depth and introversian on this album. Good stuff.
  7. frenghyv
    Jan 27, 2005
    Absolutely Gorgeous!!!! Pagan poetry is my favourite track of ever!!!
  8. BorghiA
    Mar 1, 2005
    So delicate so beautiful
  9. izata
    Jun 3, 2006
    Pagan Poetry! Pagan Poetry! This is ultimately her best album, yet!!! It's 1000000x times better than the next one, Medulla....
  10. JuliaA
    Sep 19, 2006
    Bjork sung with both love and secrets to its core in this record.very feminine,gentle,but also dark and hidden.an album that tells about being a woman in lots of perspective.
  11. MikeH
    May 2, 2008
    My personal favorite album of any musician I have ever come across. It can not be beaten (in my opinion) in craft, compositional complexity and perfection, pure hearted, genuine, soulful, painful, euphoric expression, and down right love. This album inspects the inner workings of our bodies, the introspection that comes with being human -- our minds, hearts, and even subtle physiological My personal favorite album of any musician I have ever come across. It can not be beaten (in my opinion) in craft, compositional complexity and perfection, pure hearted, genuine, soulful, painful, euphoric expression, and down right love. This album inspects the inner workings of our bodies, the introspection that comes with being human -- our minds, hearts, and even subtle physiological phenomena in a single micro beat. Everything is included in an infinite, yet minute space, crafted by sound in an arrangement to beat all arrangements. This album feels, breathes, loves, and lives. The closest music comes to mirroring primal human life. Expand
  12. DarylD.
    Feb 19, 2002
    Bjork is simply divine, there are no words to describe her music... just enjoy!!!
  13. BryanS
    May 7, 2005
    Frankly, a very few artists are capable of even touching the base of the metaphorical Everest Bjork has scaled with the release of Vespertine. 55.5 minutes of, incontestably, some of the most beautiful and stunning music to have been released in the last decade. Layer after layer...after layer of flawless immaculacy. And then you have Bjorks lyrics, --heaven help us-- the lyrics! Given Frankly, a very few artists are capable of even touching the base of the metaphorical Everest Bjork has scaled with the release of Vespertine. 55.5 minutes of, incontestably, some of the most beautiful and stunning music to have been released in the last decade. Layer after layer...after layer of flawless immaculacy. And then you have Bjorks lyrics, --heaven help us-- the lyrics! Given Bjorks fetal grasp of the English Language, these lyrics are literally an expressive testament to her unbounded talent. An Essential own from one of the most incredible and versatile musicians alive on the planet today. Expand
  14. RG
    Sep 13, 2006
    this is one of the best records i have heard in recent memory. hidden place sets the track for the record and cocoon portrays one of the sexiest songs. its not up to you is a glorious and revealing pop song and undo works in the same manner. i cant talk about every track but they all complement each other and feed of each other. sun in my mouth repeats hemingway with sparse music. Unisom this is one of the best records i have heard in recent memory. hidden place sets the track for the record and cocoon portrays one of the sexiest songs. its not up to you is a glorious and revealing pop song and undo works in the same manner. i cant talk about every track but they all complement each other and feed of each other. sun in my mouth repeats hemingway with sparse music. Unisom is one of the best closers of the new mellenium. bjork keeps stretching herself and her music with refreshing themes and sounds. not many artists can do that and this a great age we live in where an artist of her calibour can be soo popular around the world Expand
  15. RobbieC
    Oct 20, 2007
    A phenomenon.
  16. Bruno
    Jan 29, 2007
    One of the best ones ever done!
  17. DavidO
    Apr 4, 2007
    Like Kid A with a soul.
  18. EnzoP
    Oct 31, 2008
    The best album I've ever heard so far. Amazing, perfect, emotional... words cannot describe it. Good job, B!
  19. Oct 8, 2011
    One of the most beautiful albums I've ever heard. Björk's voice sounds heavenly. It's an emotional battle, her overwhelming voice vs the beautifully arranged insturmental and minimal beats. Indeed, one of the best albums ever.
  20. BrunoD.
    Oct 25, 2001
    It's... perfect. It's magic. It's wonderful. One of the best records *ever* released.
  21. ihtyandr
    Dec 12, 2002
    for the loneny & happy lonely people. privat album. with Spiritualized & The White Stripes one of the best sound
  22. HenryH.
    May 25, 2002
    Full of magic of laptop music and harp and choir and the strangest symphony and Bjork's sensational vocal. The most heavenly perfectly of the decade.
  23. Kristian
    Aug 10, 2003
    The best yet from Bjork. Every song is wonderfully precious. Cocooc and Pagan Poetry are plain superb.
  24. morocco
    Aug 25, 2003
    Perfect! Makes all other Bjork albums seem so insignificant.
  25. LockneO
    Mar 13, 2005
    "Vespertine" shows the more mellow side of Bjork. This album is pure genius! I believe "Heirloom" and "Aurora" are her most deepest tracks. Her albums get better as we go along. "Debut", "Post", "Homogenic", and "Medulla" are also reccommendations of mine. Even "Selmasongs" is worth listening.
  26. NeezaamR
    May 9, 2007
    My personal favourite Bjork album,transports you to a very beautiful sensual place.
  27. EstebanV
    Jul 18, 2007
    This album is beautiful. The best track is Unison, with her voice at its peak and the interlude Frosti sounds magical. Although a few tracks sound similar if you understand music you can find each tracks uniqueness beyond the lyrical context.
  28. OlegV.
    Nov 8, 2001
    i like this album sooooooo much, this is her surrealism at its best
  29. HarryH.
    Aug 23, 2001
    The small pixie girl just sounds devine and you would wouln't you.
  30. MelodyM.
    Aug 27, 2001
    I am the HUGEST Bjork fan...I love everything she does. She's unique! Perfectly. And it always shows in her works.
  31. MattM.
    Aug 28, 2001
    Bjork is perfect. "Vespertine" is perfect. It's easily the best album of her career, as well as the best album of 2001. Highly recommended. Beautiful! Lush! Haunting! Imaginative! Erotic! Powerful! Moving! Inspirational! A vision! A revelation! A MASTERPIECE! Okay, I'm done. Just buy "Vespertine" A.S.A.P.!
  32. SethB.
    Sep 17, 2001
    Fantastic!! Easily her best stuff. She's the most incredible and strangely beautiful singer that there is. I gave her a 9 only so she'll have room to grow.
  33. DavidP
    Nov 19, 2002
    Startling at first, Vespertine's genius lies at the powerful peaks on all of the emotional, intelligent tracks. Easily, Bjork's best album to date, Vespertine draws the listener in like a beckon, (not a dare, as was the case on most of her other works,) blurring the boundaries of rock and electronica, and creating pure emotion out of mechanical, emotionless sounds. Bjork's Startling at first, Vespertine's genius lies at the powerful peaks on all of the emotional, intelligent tracks. Easily, Bjork's best album to date, Vespertine draws the listener in like a beckon, (not a dare, as was the case on most of her other works,) blurring the boundaries of rock and electronica, and creating pure emotion out of mechanical, emotionless sounds. Bjork's style will undoubtably hold a place in any true music appreciator's heart... unless, of course, that person doesn't have one. Expand
  34. Charly
    Jul 24, 2002
    Absolutely wonderfull, it's really a masterpiece that everybody that appreciate good music should have. Bjork again shows that she is very creative.
  35. A.R.C.
    Jun 16, 2003
    This is one of those rare intimate albums that wraps you up in soft sounds. Perfect for when you're holed up in your room during a blizzard.
    Jul 12, 2003
    superb
  37. JoseJ
    Nov 16, 2005
    About as beautiful album of music i know, like the shards of sublime noise rotating, suspended in the air, knocking into each other and reverberating with warmth and humanity. Quite simply the album of our time.
  38. TonyS
    Nov 17, 2005
    that i live in such a time when music like this is made will always be a source of real and lasting personal satisfaction
  39. PedroT
    Jan 28, 2006
    AMAZING...this is probably her most beautiful work to date. This is the album that made her a legend.
  40. Clif
    Jun 12, 2008
    I really don't give easily a 10 for an album (it's extremly rare), but this one even deserves a 11! It surpasses everything we had heard. For the first time until 2001 (maybe we can consider "Selmasongs" as the tourning point) Björk delivers us minimalist (in a good way), spiritual and introspective parts of her soul. Even if I've always admired what she's done I really don't give easily a 10 for an album (it's extremly rare), but this one even deserves a 11! It surpasses everything we had heard. For the first time until 2001 (maybe we can consider "Selmasongs" as the tourning point) Björk delivers us minimalist (in a good way), spiritual and introspective parts of her soul. Even if I've always admired what she's done previous to this album (the excellence and lava-ish "Homogenic", the breathtaking "Post", and so and so), she has reached the culminate point of her career with "Vespertine". Maybe because of the facts of 1997 (for example, when she smashed a journalist in Bangkok; one retarded fan who wanted to kill her; ...), paradoxally she gained a certain tranquility (and the best is that she accepted to get that), something she had never explored in her previous albums. Since then, we can consider that she has done (almost) everything in her music career. ... Facts are... Even if she's too modest to accept that, she has released, I think, the greatest album ever, by any artist. Music blessed and embarrassed her! Expand
  41. Sep 8, 2010
    This is just one of the best albums of the first decade. It's delightful, beautiful, harmonious... just a classic. Sometimes I wonder why there's so much people listening to Justin Bieber, having such great non-commercial music right here. :/
  42. Sep 22, 2010
    LOVE IT LOVE IT!!!!! Best Bjork album! "Unison" was the best song on the album...All other tracks equally great. If you havn't already check it out!!!
  43. May 10, 2011
    I won't attempt to describe this work too much with words, as it is impossible. Let's use ideas instead. Some artists are able to create music that is simply more than just music. The way they blend sounds, melodies, moods, energy and words together become catalysts for the human psych, enabling our mind, body and soul to reach states that are unattainable otherwise. Björk isI won't attempt to describe this work too much with words, as it is impossible. Let's use ideas instead. Some artists are able to create music that is simply more than just music. The way they blend sounds, melodies, moods, energy and words together become catalysts for the human psych, enabling our mind, body and soul to reach states that are unattainable otherwise. Björk is one of them. Vespertine is not just a collection of good songs that usually make an album an "album". Its a voyage into ourselves, through herself. As much as I totally love Homogenic, I feel that Vespertine feels more complete. Despite being less varied in style than its predecessor, it explores a unique genre all the way to its core. Lay on your bed in the dark with a good pair of headphones and listen to this before going to sleep. If you truly love music, you'll wish the experience never ends. Expand
  44. May 12, 2011
    i liked it but i thought homogenic was way better than this one. but i still liked this album. .............................................................................................................................................................................
  45. Nov 12, 2013
    Vespertine is a near masterpiece in musical intimacy. Combining unique, complex melodies with Bjork's soft and sensual voice, Vespertine becomes a total emotional experience. Love and Lust, Guilt and Shame Bjork takes the listener on an intricate ride through the dark recesses of the human experience. Bjork's not only puts her whole heart into this album, she puts into it a piece of herVespertine is a near masterpiece in musical intimacy. Combining unique, complex melodies with Bjork's soft and sensual voice, Vespertine becomes a total emotional experience. Love and Lust, Guilt and Shame Bjork takes the listener on an intricate ride through the dark recesses of the human experience. Bjork's not only puts her whole heart into this album, she puts into it a piece of her entire being. Experiencing Vespertine is also experiencing Bjork. The poetic, intimate, and sometimes dark lyrics resonate with you long after they're through, chilling you with each remembrance.

A musical masterpiece. An Artistic Masterpiece. A Human Masterpiece.
  46. Jul 26, 2012
    As a continuation to the inspired "Homogenic"- as she said- "Vespertine" sounds like the shy face of a two-headed double-disc. Despite the metaphors, it's an agreement that her songwriting improved a lot at this album, but her melodies experimentation sounds a little boring. The atmosphere is too calm and dull based on Bjork's previous (and next) work. But at the same time it sounds like aAs a continuation to the inspired "Homogenic"- as she said- "Vespertine" sounds like the shy face of a two-headed double-disc. Despite the metaphors, it's an agreement that her songwriting improved a lot at this album, but her melodies experimentation sounds a little boring. The atmosphere is too calm and dull based on Bjork's previous (and next) work. But at the same time it sounds like a statement to nature, to her subconscious. Ambiguous, yet good. Expand
  47. Oct 13, 2011
    This is easily my favorite album of all time, it has a trascendental beauty that is hard to describe with words and just has to be felt. A masterpiece.
  48. Nov 21, 2011
    sumba sumba sumba sumba sumba sumba sumba sumba sumba sumba sumba sumba sumba sumba sumba sumba sumba sumba sumba sumba sumba sumba sumba sumba sumba sumba sumba sumba sumba sumba sumba sumba sumba sumba sumba sumba sumba sumba
  49. Feb 20, 2012
    Arguably her best album, Vespertine show cases such intimacy through sexual verses and enchanting instrument arrangements that create imagery and concept that artists will find difficult to match. 'Undo' and 'Unison' are easily among the best of her music.
  50. Aug 29, 2012
    This Bjork's best album. It leads into a magic-winter atmosphere and, while listening to it, you won't return to reality until it ends! Best tracks: "Aurora", "Sun In My Mouth", "Pagan Poetry", "An Echo, A Stain", "Harm of Will" and "Unison".
  51. Dec 22, 2012
    Vespertine is an unique album, probably her best until date. Songs like "Hidden Place" and "Pagan Poetry" are simply divine, and "Unison" is her best song.
  52. Nov 28, 2012
    Bjork's most intimate album ever. The shy twin of the outspoken" Homogenic" must be acclaimed about its sublime poetry.Other highlights are Bjork's unique voice and sound combinations which give a taste of heaven...
  53. Jan 13, 2013
    Vespertine is an amazing mixture of electronic music and art.
  54. Aug 1, 2014
    Besides her inaccessibility to mainstream audiences as always -- "Hidden Place" has to be Vespertine's poppiest moment, highlighted by instantaneously memorable melodies, shuffling beats, and sampled choir vocals -- Bjork's 2001 masterpiece has to be one of her weirdest, most sensual, and timeless records to date; it ages as well as her accompanied swan dress she wore on the album coverBesides her inaccessibility to mainstream audiences as always -- "Hidden Place" has to be Vespertine's poppiest moment, highlighted by instantaneously memorable melodies, shuffling beats, and sampled choir vocals -- Bjork's 2001 masterpiece has to be one of her weirdest, most sensual, and timeless records to date; it ages as well as her accompanied swan dress she wore on the album cover and at the Academy Awards that very same year. Although it's composed with some of Bjork's most signature sounds, most commonly her use of experimental electronica and scat singing, Vespertine favors more minimal yet ethereal effects to accompany the very, very sexual -- or rather, sensual -- feel in its lyricism and most importantly, Bjork's breathy vocal delivery on every track.

The highlights: "Pagan Poetry" has one of the most memorable melodies -- and most, ahem, NSFW music videos -- of the '00s, which has Bjork writing some of her most deliciously dark and desperate lyrics to the accompaniment of Asian teahouse-esque melodies, music boxes, harps, and Bjork's extraordinarily emotional and equally powerful vocals. The mood throughout the duration of Vespertine typically remains as melancholy as it is wintery ("Frosti" is a one-minute instrumental interlude that tributes the snowy season through and through to the crossfading sample of footsteps in the snow at the beginning of "Aurora"). "Cocoon" is one of the most minimal moments on the album, choosing suggestive and seductive whispers to lure the listener into a momentary coma, while "An Echo, A Stain" is its darkest; the distorted bleeps, bloops, mumbles, and choir vocals are something you'd expect to hear on an early Evanescence record.

Bjork might be more memorable for her early-'90s house music and her swan dress in the early-'00s, but Vespertine is a testiment to just how important she truly is in a music industry where "artists" cannibalize on each other's ideas instead of cooking up their own material. I'd go as far as to call Vespertine the greatest album since Bjork started her solo career in music, but I'd call it one of the greatest, most grandiose albums I've ever heard in my life. Then again, I was born in 1993 and grew up on Bjork's '00s material, but that doesn't mean I don't stand by that sentiment.
  55. Sep 24, 2015
    Vespertine is a personal and erotic adventure through Bjork's life, and it really works. Confidently her best album next to her previous effort, Homogenic.
  56. Oct 29, 2013
    Pretty much the equivalent of entering a self-contained dimension filled with big-time sexuality and utter beauty. But also with incredible understanding of the darker sides of sexuality and the roleplay always involved in sexual relations.

Who would have known that shimmering harps, glitchy electronics, subdued strings and tingling music boxes would be the perfect soundtrack to that?
  57. Nov 5, 2013
    Without a doubt, the most beautiful album I have ever heard, and the first of hers I ever heard. No words can describe how I feel when I listen to this.
  58. Dec 3, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Björk's Vespertine transcends this verse of reality as she puts the listener inside a ethereal and calm universe that at the same time has the energy and beauty of a supernova. While the record unravels, we can see a pattern of minimal daily sounds that were boosted to give melodies to each song. This album sounds winter-ish and quite "domestic". It gives a "home" feeling, which I can relate to Björk's homeland, the exquisite and cold Iceland. It talks about the most variate of subjects, from (lots of) sex, family care, snow, winter in general, and even losing keys (B-Side "Domestika"). It all starts with "Hidden Place", a song that talks metaphorically about sex, love, and sort of a shelter. It samples classic music and shows some really out of this world instrumentals, that feature sounds from full choirs to shuffling cards. "Cocoon" is another one that talks about shelter, about home in a sort of way, on the way of finding home in someone else, specifically on the warmth of a kiss between two lovers standing on a melting iceberg. "It's Not Up To You" shows quite the concept of the album: the song is about a day at home, "how to master the perfect day", and how to get whatever the narrator is longing so much for. "Undo" is a jewel. The songwriting and the choir wraps it into a shell of exquisiteness. "Pagan Poetry" is the best song on the album. The crude emotions on Bjork's voice, the lyrics, the strings arrangement, her high notes, everything makes it one-of-a-kind. The song is purely about sex, extremely metaphorical. "Frosti" is a instrumental, but sounds like heaven. The melody could only be made by Bjork's skills. It's a great introduction to one of the gems of the album, "Aurora". The melody and the progressions makes it stand at the top 10 of her best songs ever. It features sounds from ice being smashed. "An Echo, A Stain" is quiet and minimalist, and need to be taken attention for one to like it. "Sun in My Mouth" has lyrics borrowed from E. E. Cummings' poem "I Will Wade Out" and it's one of the highlights from the album. The arrangement and her voice makes it sound somewhat ethereal. It should be longer. "Heirloom" has the whole instrumental sampled from "Crabcraft" by Console, and it talks about how her family takes care of her when she's sick. It has oniric lyrics and envolving melodies. "Harm of Will" has co-writing from the director Harmony Korine, and is another highlight. Divided in several parts, it puts Bjork's voice in evidence and can make one very emotional. "Unison" wraps the record with a 6-minute envolving track that is a favourite amongst several fans. It closes the album with hability only Bjork could pull out. "Generous Palmstroke" is a bonus track that should have been included on the full album. It features only Bjork's voice and a harp played with sheer talent. This album is absolutely amazing. Expand
  59. Dec 3, 2013
    Definitely her best album so far.
  60. Jan 25, 2014
    Best album ever made. So different than anything I heard before this. It completely shifted the way how I perceived the music. Only thing that surpassed it was live performance of this album in Royal Opera House.
  61. Mar 7, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. One of the greatest things that Björk has, it's her ability to create very different kinds of music, and this record is not a exception: An album which takes you to the peaceful universe that she wanted to take you from the beginning to the end of this album. With a lot ot bizarre, delicate, relaxing and melancholic electronic sounds, Björk presents you the amazing sound of her beautiful house at the top a mountain in Iceland.
    If you may have insomnia and you can't concentrate, Vespertine is the perfect solution for a good night sleep. Totally recommended
  62. May 29, 2014
    The first Bjork album I fell in love with was "Homogenic." I thought, "How the hell is she going to follow this up?" She brought in the strings on "Vespertine," but they're used differently - whereas they were icy on "Joga" and "Bachelorette," they are used in a soft and sensual manner, providing a sense of warmth among the wintry soundscape. Bjork proves that some of life's mostThe first Bjork album I fell in love with was "Homogenic." I thought, "How the hell is she going to follow this up?" She brought in the strings on "Vespertine," but they're used differently - whereas they were icy on "Joga" and "Bachelorette," they are used in a soft and sensual manner, providing a sense of warmth among the wintry soundscape. Bjork proves that some of life's most beautiful moments are quiet. I literally can't say anything else about this album, because words aren't able to adequately capture its stunning brilliance. Expand
  63. Jul 18, 2014
    This is a powerful album!!! I cannot explain who I felt when I listened this one for the first time. All the harmony is lovely and how it sound is amazing, so awesome and greatest beauty. This is one of the best albums of all time! ♥
  64. Jan 16, 2015
    The intimate, erotic and romantic sound of Vespertine is just breath-taking. This album just shows why Björk should be a symbol of creative freedom, and why she'll always be one of the greatest artists ever.
    Songs like "It's Not Up To You" and "Unison" sound like a little musical piece from Heaven on Earth, while the lyrics are extremely well written, as in Pagan Poetry.
    This album is timeless.
  65. Oct 6, 2014
    After Homogenic (I don't know why it is not here,it would rock Metacritic), this is absolutely her best album. Brilliant lyrics, unique (really, really unique) voice in a perfect harmony with the instrumental and a atmosphere that makes you want to cry but smile at the same time. Björk is God.
  66. Jan 21, 2015
    An intimate album.
    Vespertine, no doubt, is a minimalist album.
    All tracks lead us to unknown places and deep.
    Speaks of the love of a very simple and unique way.
    Great work!
  67. Feb 12, 2016
    Esse é um dos melhores e mais lindos álbuns que eu já eu ouvi em toda a minha vida, desde os arranjos até os vocais e as letras de alto nível poético. É possível sentir bem o amor (e outros sentimentos) da Björk através das músicas, cuja mistura de arranjos com os "microbeats" eletrônicos cria uma atmosfera confortável, carinhosa e sexual junto dos vocais, às vezes acompanhados porEsse é um dos melhores e mais lindos álbuns que eu já eu ouvi em toda a minha vida, desde os arranjos até os vocais e as letras de alto nível poético. É possível sentir bem o amor (e outros sentimentos) da Björk através das músicas, cuja mistura de arranjos com os "microbeats" eletrônicos cria uma atmosfera confortável, carinhosa e sexual junto dos vocais, às vezes acompanhados por gemidos. As músicas que o abrem já te poem nas nuvens e mostram os sentimentos amorosos profundos de Björk, "Hidden Place" e "Cocoon" com sua sexualidade explícita. O ponto alto do álbum - na minha humilde opinião - é "Pagan Poetry", que me prende todas as vezes que ouço devido à sua letra enigmática e batidas hipnóticas e sua transição deliciosa para "Frosti" - que apesar de instrumental é uma música muito interessante - e então "Aurora", que nos faz relaxar após a explosão de emoções das músicas anteriores. A letra de "Sun In My Mouth", composta por um poema de E. E. Cummings, mostra bem um dos propósitos do álbum que é mostrar o amor e o sexo - nesse caso a masturbação - em suas formas mais poéticas. "Unison" fecha bem álbum, não permitindo quem estiver ouvindo-o se canse até o fim da música, que se inicia com batidas e vocais calmos e então muda para um refrão mais forte e expressivo. É sem dúvidas um dos melhores, mais marcantes e pessoais trabalhos de Björk! Mas, apesar de ter sido o foco nesse review, sexo é apenas um dos temas apresentados no álbum, há outros que talvez se sobreponham, além das diversas maneiras de interpretar suas letras. Para quem assim como eu tem esse álbum como favorito, ouça o "Vulnicura", que é como um irmão para o "Vespertine". Expand
  68. Dec 13, 2015
    Simple.Warm.Beautiful.These three words describe the modern time classical Vespertine.Opening track Hidden Place feels like a fairytale orchestra.Following track Cocoon is a lullaby with that glitch sounds and magical vocals all over it .It's Not Up To You is another Björk classic with the very fierce chorus.Undo is very silent and patient.Pagan Poetry is very violent but calm at theSimple.Warm.Beautiful.These three words describe the modern time classical Vespertine.Opening track Hidden Place feels like a fairytale orchestra.Following track Cocoon is a lullaby with that glitch sounds and magical vocals all over it .It's Not Up To You is another Björk classic with the very fierce chorus.Undo is very silent and patient.Pagan Poetry is very violent but calm at the end.Björk screaming in Icelandic language makes it interesting.These 5 tracks opens up the album very well.Rest of the Vespertine is darker.Album is splitting with the interlude Frosti a very charming instrumental song.First song from the second half of the album is Aurora.Aurora is very dreamy and wintry.Next track An Echo A Stain is the darkest track on the album.It has very dark vocals and creepy instruments.Sun In My Mouth is very short and simple.I think it's the weakest track on the album but it's still good.Heirloom is kind of a pop song.It is like a never ending tale.It's one of my favourites.Harm Of Will is beautiful and angelic.And finally closer track Unison is an good example for how to close an album.It has a dreamy vibe.I know i used words dreamy,simple and beautiful too much.These are the words to describe Vespertine.I think Vespertine is the second best album Björk made after Vulnicura.

Masterpieces:Cocoon,Hidden Place,Undo,Unison

Standout Tracks:Pagan Poetry,Heirloom,It's Not Up To You

Weak Tracks:Sun In My Mouth,An Echo A Stain

Score:9 out of 10
  69. Jun 5, 2015
    Vespertine proves that subtlety and introversion can strike as heavy as locomotive and neurotic beats, in almost an hour of precise and beautifully cohesive lullabies and sweet manifestos.

9.4/10
  70. Sep 8, 2015
    Amazing album, my favorite by Björk, it´s just so freaking amazing it hurts, you know?
    Björk produces that feeling. She really does.
    .....................
  71. Nov 3, 2015
    Stunningly beautiful, intricate and complex. An incredible achievement for the music industry as a whole. A classic and a MUST listen. Bjork can do no wrong, especially on Vespertine.
  72. Jun 23, 2016
    Vespertine foi o primeiro álbum da Björk que eu consegui gostar de fato, depois de várias tentativas de ouvir a artista em questão. Há faixas que eu não gostei, como An Echo, A Stain, mas há outras que são maravilhosas. como Hidden Place, Heirloom e Unison. É um álbum de extremos, e você precisa estar meio que preparado pra ouvi-lo.

With Vespertine, Bjork has constructed a whispering wall of wonders, and instead of forcing everyone out, has invited the world to look through the cracks.
  2. 1997's Homogenic, also a mixture of heavy beats and strings, was not as varied or complete as this album, and while Selmasongs, last year's soundtrack to "Dancer in the Dark" (in which Björk starred), was lovely in its own sweeping, cinematic way, Björk has surpassed herself with this new work.
  3. Björk continues to mine the fine line of minimalist lushness that her last album gave birth to; with tiny, crackling, skittery beats weaving open-toned ambient beds in which her breathy, pushed-forward vocals lithely lay, the closeness and drama of her every syllable commanding attention.