8.4

Review this album

1. Sep 24, 2010
    Great! This is one of the best albums of the last decade. If you don't own it buy it now. Every song is well written and performed. It says a lot for an album when you know the next song is really good, but you can't hit the skip button because the one playing is just as good.
  2. PaulW
    Nov 6, 2003
    As a person bought up on a diet of Brit Pop/Rock (Genesis, Peter Gabriel/Human League), American Pop/Rock (Bruce Hornsby/Huey Lewis/Springsteen/Brian Wilson) the "Fountains of Wayne" in "Welcome Interstate Managers" cover all these bases at once!!! Totally infectious lyrics, incredible harmonies and skilled musicianship make for a wonderful album. As a keyboard player in a Gold Coast As a person bought up on a diet of Brit Pop/Rock (Genesis, Peter Gabriel/Human League), American Pop/Rock (Bruce Hornsby/Huey Lewis/Springsteen/Brian Wilson) the "Fountains of Wayne" in "Welcome Interstate Managers" cover all these bases at once!!! Totally infectious lyrics, incredible harmonies and skilled musicianship make for a wonderful album. As a keyboard player in a Gold Coast (Australia) 7 piece band we already covering "Stacy's Mom" (with or without the towel on). I played "Stacey's Mom" to the band members and they said "lets do it". In summary, great album. Hopefully it wont be three more years for another. Paul Whelan Keyboard Player "Three Quarter Jack" Gold Coast Australia Expand
  3. grahamjd
    Nov 5, 2003
    the difinitive sound of the summer. one of the best kept secrets in the entire music industry. a shame as they are one of the most rewarding bands in the history of bands who write the greatest, most catchiest songs.
  4. KathH
    Jun 16, 2003
    It would be nice to get some sleep one of these nights, instead of fighting to get one of the songs on this insanely catchy album out of my head. 100% pure pop, for those who had given up on ever hearing such a thing again. But please guys, have mercy on the sleepless next time!
  5. ErnieS
    Jun 4, 2003
    This is their best CD yet. I wholeheartedly recommend this to anyone who's a sucker for melodies and pure pop -- not the watered-down radio stuff that passes for "pop" now, but what passed for timeless quality in a previous era. This is so worth the purchase.
  6. JayA
    Jul 31, 2003
    Funny, Literate, and catchier than SARS. Melodic and just plain Brilliant.
  7. bdugar
    Aug 10, 2003
    awesome
  8. AlB
    Aug 2, 2003
    A friend of mine tried to turn me on to Fountains Of Wayne a long time ago. I never "got it" - that 80's-ish new wave/pop sound was never much too my liking (save for The Cars), and FOW quickly faded from my musical landscape and was almost forgotten. Sometime later, the same friend lent me Ivy's Apartment Life CD. Stunningly infectious stuff, and thus when Schlesinger's A friend of mine tried to turn me on to Fountains Of Wayne a long time ago. I never "got it" - that 80's-ish new wave/pop sound was never much too my liking (save for The Cars), and FOW quickly faded from my musical landscape and was almost forgotten. Sometime later, the same friend lent me Ivy's Apartment Life CD. Stunningly infectious stuff, and thus when Schlesinger's "other" band released Welcome Interstate Managers, I felt I owed it to him (both my co-worker and Adam) to give the CD a listen. Wow! This is a remarkable record from so many angles... Similar to another artist my friend DID successfully turn me on to - Freedy Johnston - the lyrics are anything but typical sugary-pop throw away lines. Each song feels like a novel unto itself, despite the mere three to four minutes given to tell the story. That, to me, is a sure sign of genius. But without catchy music, those lyrics never stand a chance of catching on. But catch on they do here, because the musicianship is superb. A lot of pop CD's make me feel like I've listened to the same song ten times in a row. Not here. Each song is a world unto itself, and the versatility of the songwriting is impressive, from country to The Cars to 60s-ish fuzzy, chorused guitars and Beatles-esque psychedelia... For whatever reason, the bottom line is this album DID click, and I now "get it" - Fountains Of Wayne is sheer musical genius, and my respect for Adam Schelsinger's skills has grown immensely. Not one hit band, but two? Man... Tell me this guy doesn't have it goin' on! Whatever type of music you prefer, you owe it to yourself to at least give this CD a listen. Not everyone will like it, of course, but for the rest of us, it will most likely make our lists of the top albums of 2003. It is THAT good, without a doubt - light years ahead of the morass the rest of the musical world seems mired in. Refreshing stuff... Expand
  9. timE
    Jan 13, 2005
    the Shins who? Don't believe the hype about that overrated band. This is the record that lives up to the hype and more. Get it fast! Get it now!
  10. ScottW
    Oct 2, 2003
    A pop masterpiece! "Managers" saves our generation from the sludge of spears, Timberlake, Eminem, and any Creed-esque mistake for music that we have driven ourselves into. The lead duo's obvious ear for real music (of any genre) reminds one of Brian wilson, Roger Waters, or even Thom Yorke. If the sound does not please, then surely we have sunk to a new low in modern music.
  11. MusicMaven
    Jun 19, 2003
    I've been a fan of FoW since the beginning, and I'm amused at the critical flip-flopping. The debut was well-received, their 2nd album was trashed, and now they're great again. The truth is they haven't changed a whole lot. Maybe they have gotten a bit more laid back with all the ballads. But they can still write catchy rock songs. "Stacy's Mom", in particular, is I've been a fan of FoW since the beginning, and I'm amused at the critical flip-flopping. The debut was well-received, their 2nd album was trashed, and now they're great again. The truth is they haven't changed a whole lot. Maybe they have gotten a bit more laid back with all the ballads. But they can still write catchy rock songs. "Stacy's Mom", in particular, is on par with any of the Cars' greatest hits. If you like any of their previous work or power-pop in general, you must pick this up. Expand
  12. JerryB
    Jun 19, 2003
    This is simply the best pop record of the year. It's more consistent than their previous two releases and it simply must be picked up by anyone slaves away in a corporate office park and longs for something more.
  13. FabrizioL
    Jun 23, 2003
    I'm sorry for my bad english...don't you think that AMG four and half stars are not a "poor" 60?!
  14. JohnA
    Jun 25, 2003
    I've listened to this 3 times now and I'm struck by it's overt references to 70's pop. In fact, this seems to be a trend in a lot of new pop records. I'm guessing these guys have spent a lot of time listening to Paul Simon, The Cars, and Big Star. Anyway, it's a solid effort and fun, but not very original.
  15. RoyO
    Jun 4, 2003
    I'd give it an 11 if I could. This pop masterpiece is the album of the year.
  16. Stacy
    Jul 2, 2003
    Im not really commenting on the CD... I just wanted to tell a true story... My name is Stacy. For a few years I have been close friends with this guy, who has always had a "crush" on my mom. Recently a friend of ours hears "Stacy's Mom" on the radio and made us listen to it. We were laughing SO hard, we were crying. I am NOT shi*ing you... I played it today for my mom, and she Im not really commenting on the CD... I just wanted to tell a true story... My name is Stacy. For a few years I have been close friends with this guy, who has always had a "crush" on my mom. Recently a friend of ours hears "Stacy's Mom" on the radio and made us listen to it. We were laughing SO hard, we were crying. I am NOT shi*ing you... I played it today for my mom, and she offered to be in the video ;) Thanks for a great song!!! Expand
  17. danielb
    Jul 26, 2003
    not since the beatles has an album evoked such sonic imagery, if this album doesnt win every award that ever was, i'll eat my fedora...really ya gotta check this out, it really does take you to another place then its over and your back to where you started, wonderin when someones gonna come out with a decent pop record, the you realize somebody did and you just heard it and then you not since the beatles has an album evoked such sonic imagery, if this album doesnt win every award that ever was, i'll eat my fedora...really ya gotta check this out, it really does take you to another place then its over and your back to where you started, wonderin when someones gonna come out with a decent pop record, the you realize somebody did and you just heard it and then you play it again and again in tour mind and on your stereo...nuff sed Expand
  18. JamesL
    Jul 3, 2003
    The cd's very fun......not too edgy or too challenging....but when in the mood for some good pop, definitely fits the bill. I haven't read any mention of the song Supercollider....it's my personal favorite.
  19. WillN
    Aug 25, 2003
    can't stop listening to it!
  20. FilazaferX
    Aug 5, 2003
    This cd is pretty good, but not a masterpiece. Trying to decide if you should buy this cd? I will make it easy with this list of bands. If you like most of them, buy it. If you hate most of them, don't buy it: The Cars, Jimmy Eat World, Weezer, The Rugburns, Rick Springfield (hear song #3), and the Super Furry Animals
  21. MikeM
    Aug 9, 2003
    How could you not like this? These guys are destined to break through. Bright Future in Sales is hysterical. Great album, turn it up loud - you'll love it.
  22. AndrewT
    Sep 21, 2003
    Reminds me very much of Squeeze. Direct to the point, you do not have to play this one too many times to get it. Makes you wonder who did the "Uncut" review "They're diminished by trying to touch too many bases, often lapsing into sub-Oasis stodge."
  23. ScottF.K.
    Sep 5, 2003
    Insanely great songwriting, perfectly executed. Funny, sweet, ironic and edgy. The best pop rock LP in years. A masterpiece.
  24. Jessy(jessica)A
    May 7, 2004
    perfect pop.
  27. Dillynd
    Sep 1, 2005
    this is the best cd ever made they rock the party and will rock on forever!ROCK ON
  28. LukeB
    May 27, 2006
    Stacy's Mom 4 eva!
  29. HenreyD
    Jul 4, 2006
    Awsome
  30. tim
    Feb 22, 2007
    Did I say the Shins were bad you idiot!!!!!!!!!!!! This is just on another level that their overrated Shutes Too Narrow. I know more about music than you'll ever know. Blow it out your ass.
  31. mit
    Mar 24, 2007
    Well thank you for the compliment Richard Roeper but I don't even remember when Shit's Poo Squaro came out. That's how forgettable the record was. Why is I always turn into the asshole when all I wanted was to compliment how good this record was. Of course I'm no Rodney Bingenheimer or even a Nic Hartcort when it comes to music. But I do know anyone who passes up a Well thank you for the compliment Richard Roeper but I don't even remember when Shit's Poo Squaro came out. That's how forgettable the record was. Why is I always turn into the asshole when all I wanted was to compliment how good this record was. Of course I'm no Rodney Bingenheimer or even a Nic Hartcort when it comes to music. But I do know anyone who passes up a great album like this and Franz Ferdinand for a mediorce records like Flutes Blue Arrow is out of their cotton picken mind. Expand
  32. ErikH
    Mar 20, 2007
    Tim, it's difficult to believe you really know "more about music" than anyone will ever know when you don't even know the name of the Shins' album ("Chutes Too Narrow"). Also your entire comment came across as an arrogant asshole who lacks the intelligence of a sixth grader. As for this album, while it has quite a few catchy numbers, it is overall not the kind of album Tim, it's difficult to believe you really know "more about music" than anyone will ever know when you don't even know the name of the Shins' album ("Chutes Too Narrow"). Also your entire comment came across as an arrogant asshole who lacks the intelligence of a sixth grader. As for this album, while it has quite a few catchy numbers, it is overall not the kind of album you'll listen to again and again and find yourself returning too. It's an enjoyable but forgettable quickie, similar to Franz Ferdinand. Expand
  33. BStabile
    Nov 13, 2003
    These versatile, talented, able musicians have produced a collection that my little boy (3 and a half) and I can't wait to hear whenever we're in the car. He calls Little Red Light "Oh no" and "Stacy's Mom" "Stacy's Mommy". Being a 48-year old fan of rock'n roll, I hear echos of Simon & Garfunkel, Smithereens, Beatles, Kinks. This is one that will have the These versatile, talented, able musicians have produced a collection that my little boy (3 and a half) and I can't wait to hear whenever we're in the car. He calls Little Red Light "Oh no" and "Stacy's Mom" "Stacy's Mommy". Being a 48-year old fan of rock'n roll, I hear echos of Simon & Garfunkel, Smithereens, Beatles, Kinks. This is one that will have the longevity of "Can't Buy a Thrill". Expand
  34. Snoopy
    Dec 10, 2003
    IT's great but casually overated. If there was a little more excitment i could fall 4 it! Don't trust media comments just cuz they're 10 4 10! listen 2 it yourself b4 u go outta your way get it! it's a great record and original if like different music u gotta get it!
  35. AnaN
    Jun 12, 2003
    I thought my Summer fling was going to be with my job at the theatre, but I changed my mind - I'm in love with this album!!!
  36. JeffS
    Jun 14, 2003
    They make you laugh, they make you cry. As good slow as they are fast. A+ for melodies, sly but corny lyrics, and the everyday song subjects and settings. Long live FOW, they juust keep getting better.
  37. MaxPower
    Jun 16, 2003
    This is an astonishing CD of "classic" (but modern) pop, full of brilliant songs, showing a big diversity of styles but being always outstanding. The lyrics are also very intelligent and the arrangements are always smart. I can't think of anyone that makes pure pop songs better than these nowadays.
  38. JamesS
    Jun 18, 2003
    Record of the year by far. If this album doesn't hit... I'm moving to Bora Bora to pick mangoes all day.
  39. SpacemanSpiff
    Jun 18, 2003
    Really, its a strong 9 and not a perfect 10. The only real problem with this album is--that at 16 songs--its a bit too long. The 3 or 4 extra songs are still good... its just too much. The best tracks: -The opener "Mexican Wine"--a slightly bizarre song about drinking your problems away. -"Stacy's Mom" (which appears to be the first single)--about a guy who wants to toss over his Really, its a strong 9 and not a perfect 10. The only real problem with this album is--that at 16 songs--its a bit too long. The 3 or 4 extra songs are still good... its just too much. The best tracks: -The opener "Mexican Wine"--a slightly bizarre song about drinking your problems away. -"Stacy's Mom" (which appears to be the first single)--about a guy who wants to toss over his girl for her hot mom. -"Hackensack"--a guy dreams about the movie star he once knew when she was just a girl living in Hackensack. -"Valley Winter Song"--not sure what its really about, but its pretty. -"Little Red Light"--again, a slice of life. A guy is stuck in traffic and starts to think a bit too much about how crappy his life is. -"Hey Julie"--Just beautiful. An unexpected simple love song--a guy in a dead end job, and world, is saved by thoughts of his girl. Think of the better McCartney Beatles songs, not in terms of the style I guess, but the simple delivery. Its also got a lot in common with this band's earlier "Denise", from "their previous album "Utopia Parkway". -"Peace and Love"--A hippie song. :-) Its fun though. -"Bought For A Song"--Should have been the closer of the album. Its a bit different from everything else on the album, but really good--its probably the closest to a "rocker" on this album. By and large they are simple songs, but quirky and enjoyable. Pop rythmed, but not stupid. Like a lot of their earlier work, its about people in ordinary lives wishing for more.. for better, but there is no bitterness--just wistfulness. Expand
  40. elegantmess
    Jun 18, 2003
    simply, a pop music masterpiece. a few weak moments, but the many many strong moments MORE than make up for it.
  41. BrianM
    Jun 21, 2003
    This is FOW's best album to date. Extremely catchy, polished pop-rock.
  42. williamc
    Jul 20, 2003
    wonderful lyrics.... they gave a great interview on npr
  43. RachelG
    Jul 7, 2003
    Infectious - as all others that came before. The best thing you can do at a desk job is listen to FOW singing about how lame that job you're doing is.
  44. MaxM
    Jul 9, 2003
    Each album has had its strengths and this one is equal to its predecessors in every aspect. One of the year's ten best so far!
  45. DaveP
    Aug 22, 2003
    A great piece of powe pop extraordinaire. If you loved Ben Folds' "Rockin The Suburbs", "Welcome Interstate Managers" is a fantastic companion piece.
  46. ryanf
    Mar 23, 2004
    you should all listen to it
  47. Sharons
    Nov 29, 2005
    Loved the album. It's great fun, each and every song.
  48. RicoA.
    Aug 12, 2005
    The best album of the year, and their personal best. Different musical styles on each song, all catchey and all infused with wit & knowledge.
  49. TheCritic
    Jul 10, 2006
    tim E, you obviously know nothing of rock music or anything of the sort, to say that the Shins are bad. You know where to shove that comment...
  50. JoeyJoJoShabadoo
    Mar 10, 2007
    Did I say anything about the Shins being bad? They're just not on the same level as this album. At least I don't pull stupid comments out my arse. This album is sensational.
  51. ChrisS
    Dec 1, 2003
    Hey, at least it's round. I mean if they made a square one who the hell could play it?
  52. ChrisL
    Jun 11, 2003
    The most beautiful of the three albums so far, which is saying a lot. Worth the wait and more. The music has a vibrant "life" to it which is impossible to explain. Close your eyes and let it take you away.
  53. Tim
    Jun 14, 2003
    Very nearly pitch perfect. Great melodies, fun tunes, and slice-of-life lyrics that cut to the bone more often than they tend towards cliche. 16 songs might be a few too many ("all kinds of time," "halley's waitress" and "peace & love" could've been shredded from the release without much fuss on my part), but there's a genuine 12-tune power-pop masterpiece to be discovered here.
  54. AdamB
    Jun 15, 2003
    Every bit as good as their earlier work, but much more deeply crafted. While their song topics seem boyish and shallow, they are true pop geniuses if there is such a thing. Nearly ever song features brilliantly poetic lyrics and hooks that you will discover have burrowed into your brain and nested for the long-run. Wow. Just awesome... but do check out their previous albums -- Every bit as good as their earlier work, but much more deeply crafted. While their song topics seem boyish and shallow, they are true pop geniuses if there is such a thing. Nearly ever song features brilliantly poetic lyrics and hooks that you will discover have burrowed into your brain and nested for the long-run. Wow. Just awesome... but do check out their previous albums -- they're every bit as good, if a bit more peppy. Expand
  55. PeterS
    Fine record
  56. TimW
    Jun 17, 2003
    Work Sucks! That's the message Fountains of Wayne are trying to get across spining stories of suburbian life over a well crafted album. Just amazing.
  57. SpacemanSpiff
  58. Jon
    Jun 21, 2003
    Unforgettable lyrics, lovely melodies and wistfulness so thick, you might be able to sop it up with bread and use it for gravy. There are a lot of good things you can say about "Welcome Interstate Managers". The only flaw is a forgiveable one. Eager to please, Fountains of Wayne gave us too much of a good thing. As with all albums, some songs are better than others. Honestly, most here Unforgettable lyrics, lovely melodies and wistfulness so thick, you might be able to sop it up with bread and use it for gravy. There are a lot of good things you can say about "Welcome Interstate Managers". The only flaw is a forgiveable one. Eager to please, Fountains of Wayne gave us too much of a good thing. As with all albums, some songs are better than others. Honestly, most here are nothing short of brilliant. For the most part they are clever, eye-opening, and nible. But oddly enough an album filled with mostly nimble songs seems to limp a bit at points. Of the 16 total songs, 2 or 3 of them seem extraneous (far from bad--they'd be considered as least "very good" almost anywhere else) and its just sort of causes a downshift in energy. I'll let you decide which two or three songs are doing this--it took me a little while to decide. I'll throw a bone in the opposite direction. Especially magnificent songs among the 16 include: "Mexican Wine", "Stacy's Mom", "Hackensack and "Hey Julie". Expand
  59. ButtLicket
    Jun 23, 2003
    Good
  60. carriec
    Jun 25, 2003
    instant happiness
  61. Amanda
    Jul 11, 2003
    As a Fountains of Wayne fan since they opened for the Smashing Pumpkins in '97, and a recent college graduate a bit disillusioned with "the real world", this CD fits me to a "t" right now. Can't stop listening to "Hey Julie" and "Bright Future in Sales". The fact that this cd may never make it big really makes me wonder about the people who run out and buy rap and boy band cds...
  62. BillH
    Jul 21, 2003
    Terrible title - wonderful music. Amazing lyrics - amazing music. Three hours till they play Stacy's Mom on Letterman and I am so excited for them. These guys deserve mass adulation and if Stacy's Mom doesn't do the trick what could. That song has the catchiest chorus I have EVER heard. This is their best CD, which considering that their previous one was darn close to Terrible title - wonderful music. Amazing lyrics - amazing music. Three hours till they play Stacy's Mom on Letterman and I am so excited for them. These guys deserve mass adulation and if Stacy's Mom doesn't do the trick what could. That song has the catchiest chorus I have EVER heard. This is their best CD, which considering that their previous one was darn close to perfect is quite a statement. Bill Expand
  63. BrianS
    Jul 25, 2003
    The people who hate this album, I would guess don't like The Beatles or the Beach Boys or other great pop acts that ever were. This is more than an album of the year, this is one of the best albums I've ever heard. If you are the type that needs all your music to super intellectual and tortured soul like, then you might want to stay away from these well crafted, witty, and The people who hate this album, I would guess don't like The Beatles or the Beach Boys or other great pop acts that ever were. This is more than an album of the year, this is one of the best albums I've ever heard. If you are the type that needs all your music to super intellectual and tortured soul like, then you might want to stay away from these well crafted, witty, and touching songs. Expand
  64. SteveK
    Aug 26, 2003
    As a bald, middle aged white rocker who grew up playing classic rock when it was fresh, I find this record a brilliant paean to all that was fun about pop-rock. I am amazed at the depth of understanding FOW has for the genre at it's inception. I hear the Beatles, Cars, Tom Robinson Band, Raspberries, Dwight Twilley Band, Blue Oyster Cult....some Nick Lowe, Paul Young, Greg Kihn.
  65. SkipB
    Sep 22, 2003
    Fantastic collection of power pop. This is a disc full of hits that are extremely infectious with more hooks than your Dad's tackle box. Great writing, melodic harmonies, you'll find yourself singing along with a smile. It turned me on to their earlier work that also contains some real gems. They deliver in person as well giving a knock-out performance that leaves your head reeling.
  66. bobbym
    Sep 22, 2003
    I like it yes !
  67. AdamS.
    Feb 25, 2004
    Aside from that stupid country song, this CD is my favorite all time.
  68. vikkip
    Mar 16, 2004
    This is the best CD i eva purchased anyone who says otherwise obviously doesn't have any taste in music!
  69. ChadS
    Apr 14, 2007
    After watching "Music and Lyrics", it dawned on me that I somehow skipped "Welcome Interstate Managers". Why? Because I was unemployed in 2003. "Stacy's Mom" brilliantly recalls The Cars' "Just What I Needed" and then finds its own bliss. "Hackensack" is equally catchy and unbelievably sad.
  70. Jun 1, 2012
    Still laugh like a drain every time I hear this! And in Hackensack they've written one of the great plaintive songs of impossible yearning. Wonderful stuff! Off to check out their other releases.
  71. Apr 26, 2012
    Wow this is a great album. "Mexican Wine" is a great opening tune, other notable songs include "Hey Julie" "Stacy's Mom" "Hackensack" "Bright Future In Sales". The songwriting here is brilliant. Catchy tunes and nothing too light and fluffy. It's really a damn shame this band didn't get more popular in the airwaves. A true gem.

1. Their tunes have always seemed too facile, but seven years divided by three albums doesn't equal glib, especially with those years deepening their lyricism rather than their cynicism.
  2. Not only their crowning achievement to date but also one of the year's finest albums, period.
  3. The secret to Fountains of Wayne's genius is the ability to infuse personality into a typically personalityless segment of America, making sadness and mundanity both interesting and deceptively fun.