8.3

Review this album

1. John
    Oct 16, 2005
    This album proves that Franz CAN out do their 1st album. "What you meant" is kinda like some of The Beatles good stuff, there is so much veriety in the new album. Dont listen 2 people slam this and overlook it its sooo dam good, a must!!!
  2. SebaB
    Jul 28, 2006
    It's the firts album that makes me imitating guitarsolos
  3. ElizabethP
    Jan 17, 2007
    A lot better than their first album since they abandoned a lot of aimless, sloppy guitar strumming. "Do You Want to?" is a great song although it's slightly embarrassing to sing it on the top of your lungs. The stand outs are "The Fallen" and "Outsiders". This album is more melodic and more coherent than their previous.
  4. pm
    (cough) over-rated (cough)
  5. meh
    Dec 6, 2005
    very overrated. gets pretty boring after about 3-4 listens despite a few tracks.
  6. StanH
    Feb 22, 2006
    Has some very good tracks, but is too drawn out and not nearly as consistent as their debut.
  7. Stormwatch
    May 1, 2008
    Some good moments, but, as a whole, notably inferior to Franz's awesome first album. The songs lack the "alternative" feel from before, and tend to be too fast-paced. The "louder" production doesn't help either.
  8. Apr 25, 2012
    One of the worst albums I've had the displeasure of buying. It possesses all of the pretension of the early '00s indie movement without any of the charm of the hits on the band's first album.
  9. AlexKapranos
    Oct 3, 2005
    The unpretentiousness is a breath of fresh air amid the dire wave of emo-indie out there currently, but I don't have to listen to Franz Ferdinand to get my dose of unpretentiousness 'cause it's all been done before.
  10. TomB
    Oct 3, 2005
    EASILY the album of the year. Absolutely fucking brilliant.
  11. MarkC
    Oct 3, 2005
    I thought this album was unfocused and somewhat boring. It has a few great singles, yes, but overall, it leaves me with a sour taste in my mouth. after a month or so, this will be collecting dust on my shelf.
  12. BrianA
    Oct 3, 2005
    One of the best albums of the year. An awesome followup, which has the band trying out new things, and branching out in directions I would have never seen them going. One thing I don't get is why they decided on "Do You Want To" as the first single. It's a good track, but others on the album are far better.
  13. gabew
    hells yeahhhhhhh
  14. konron
    Oct 3, 2005
    Their sound is a bit more diversified the second time around, but consequently, it doesn't sound as solid as their first album. If anything, it shows promise for the band's future.
  15. Craig
    Oct 3, 2005
    as good as you can get for a follow-up to the debut.
  16. ChrisP
    Oct 3, 2005
    Again franz put out another good album. This album i think doesnt have all of the good songs that last had but the songs on this album that are good are really good.
  17. tONY
    Oct 3, 2005
    Sounds so memorable and catchy.
  18. DSHelder
    Oct 3, 2005
    Not bad. Just not very good. With four exceptions, the songs are not up the old standard. But what really ruins this album, is the new poppish sound. Farewell indie, hello boredom.
  19. MikoV
    Absolutly Great!
  20. JJHoldijk
    Oct 4, 2005
    Many young promising bands ussually disappear after a surprising debut album. Not Franz Ferdinand. In fact, the follow-up to their 2004 debut might even be more surprising. Why? Because it's just so damn good... With "You Could Have It So Much Better", the band took a walk on a darker and louder side. Where their last album made you want to shake your booty, this one will make you Many young promising bands ussually disappear after a surprising debut album. Not Franz Ferdinand. In fact, the follow-up to their 2004 debut might even be more surprising. Why? Because it's just so damn good... With "You Could Have It So Much Better", the band took a walk on a darker and louder side. Where their last album made you want to shake your booty, this one will make you want to bang your head. Though there's still plenty of booty-shaking left. The current single "Do You Want To" might be the song that enbodies that the most. And then there are songs like "The Fallen". Opening with a riff that's so solid it will make you want to smack your mom's bottom and scream "bitch!" at her(even if you really really love your mum, like I do), it really rocks your socks. The song "Eleanor Put Your Boots Back On" shows another side of the band. It's a really nice, Beatle-esque song which shows that FF can do more than building songs with rythms which are tighter then a swiss clock. All in all it's a pretty diverse album which will appeal to even more listeners thatn their last. It also makes one thing very clear, and that is that Franz Ferdinand is definitely not another one day fly. Expand
  21. DMassey
    Oct 4, 2005
    Utterly terrific, although am I alone in thinking that Do You Want To is the single cheesiest and horrifically annoying song to be released for a long time? The rest of the album more than makes up for it however both expanding and improving on their established sound.
  22. mizzocapone
    Oct 4, 2005
    awesum!! they had the impossible task of following up the first album and miracously succeeded!
  23. RobertD
    Oct 4, 2005
    Its alright, not as good as the first one and definetly not as hype as the new strokes cd will be.
  24. MihaiV
    Oct 4, 2005
    Just brilliant. I love the 3 ballads. This was the big surprise to me. The rest is Franz Ferdinand at their best.
  25. DeanS
    Oct 4, 2005
    It's pretty good, has some great tracks, but certainly isn't as consistently good as their debut. However, they do broaden their range quite a bit, and when they do something new, it comes off well. The least memorable ones feel like extras from the last album.
  26. ChelseaD
    Oct 4, 2005
    I really liked Franz's debut, and so I was really hoping this album would be amazing. Sadly, I was wrong. This is just the boringly average follow-up you'd expect from a band like Franz Ferdinand. BUT, if you really, REALLY loved their debut, and want more of the same (along with some Beatles-y ballads and a few added flourishes), then by all means, tack on an extra few points I really liked Franz's debut, and so I was really hoping this album would be amazing. Sadly, I was wrong. This is just the boringly average follow-up you'd expect from a band like Franz Ferdinand. BUT, if you really, REALLY loved their debut, and want more of the same (along with some Beatles-y ballads and a few added flourishes), then by all means, tack on an extra few points to this score and buy it. But if you're tired of all this dancepop nonsense flooding the British music scene, skip it. Expand
  27. JoeC
    Oct 4, 2005
    Excellent album, solid follow-up to influential debut.
  28. Viv
    Oct 4, 2005
    This had a rating of 89 before Stylus Magazine pissed on it. Still, let the numbers continue to speak, as this is in my opinion one of the best, unabashedly cocksure albums of the year.
  29. TravisY
    Oct 4, 2005
    Sounds like the first but more in depth. Awesome if you loved the first album. Okay if you thought it was okay.
  30. JesseJ
    Oct 4, 2005
    THis is dumb to the core!! Eat it outloud!

1. It's a stunning, confident piece of work that suggests the band is merely getting started.
  2. Blender
    It'll do just fine for now. But here's hoping for a torturously difficult third album. [Oct 2005, p.140]
  3. Franz Ferdinand have slightly tweaked the neo-Brit-pop genre – mixing in funk, dashes of punk, and a bit of disco – and come out with a sophomore album even more confident and hungry for glory than their debut.