- Publisher: My Next Games
- Release Date: Oct 4, 2018
- Also On: PC
- Summary: Soulblight is a dark, unforgiving, top-down action roguelike luring you to cross the thin line between good and evil. Instead of XP grinding, it introduces a Tainting Mechanics. While traveling through the shattered reality of the Sanctuary, you will receive personality traits based on yourSoulblight is a dark, unforgiving, top-down action roguelike luring you to cross the thin line between good and evil. Instead of XP grinding, it introduces a Tainting Mechanics. While traveling through the shattered reality of the Sanctuary, you will receive personality traits based on your choices. These will be the main source of your strength. To harness them, you will have to act accordingly. Becoming an alcoholic means that you will be rewarded for getting drunk, but from that point being sober might prove to be unbearable.… Expand
- Developer: My Next Games
- Genre(s): Role-Playing, Roguelike
- # of players: No Online Multiplayer
- Cheats: On GameFAQs
- More Details and Credits »
Positive: 0 out of 9
Mixed: 5 out of 9
Negative: 4 out of 9
Oct 9, 2018If you like highly challenging rogue-like games with unique role-playing elements, Soulblight may be a game that scratches that masochistic itch that few games do.
Oct 15, 2018Soulblight is a top-down action roguelike that features simple yet tough combat. The tainting mechanic and injury effects are clever and keep things interesting. Unfortunately, combat is hard to master, and you may end up dying a lot more than you're willing to accept.
Nov 2, 2018Using personality traits instead of experience points to improve the character stands out, as does its combat injuries system. Less appealing though, are its rather repetitive nature on a short term basis, as well as its frustrating combat system and sub-par art style.
Oct 29, 2018Soulblight isn’t built for everyone, even diehard rogue-like fans. One day I’ll venture back to the Soul Tree, I’m sure of it. Just don’t think it’ll be anytime soon.
CD-ActionNov 14, 2019The ruthless randomness mixed with a heap of unusual gameplay elements amount to a one big mess. [13/2018, p.75]
Oct 25, 2018Soulblight is a largely disappointing experience. Hopefully My Next Games can take what works here (namely the morality-based systems) and apply it to a future effort, but this current action game isn’t enjoyable in the slightest. It doesn’t bring anything new to the genre, and isn’t polished enough to stand besides the better offerings already available.
Oct 11, 2018A lot of hard work and sacrifice likely went into the creation of Soulblight so it’s unfortunate that I can’t recommend it, even as a niche. None of the mechanics were of interest and the visuals need a major overhaul. With not shortage of dungeon crawling roguelikes available on the Switch, my recommendation is to look elsewhere.