Absolution

8.6

Review this album

1. Nov 6, 2011
    While Absolution is not a bad record by any means, it exemplifies the 'rage against the machine' meets 'radiohead' criticisms. The album features plenty of good songs, but fails to find a footing and sounds disjointed at times. Still a solid effort with some great, climactic songs.
  2. DaveC
    Apr 15, 2004
    Overblown, pretentious, samey and at times unlistenable, although there are some passable highlights, including the title track.
  3. MarkM
    May 22, 2004
    Muse are to Radiohead what Creed is to Peral Jam, what Bud Light is to Guinness...
  4. AndyY
    May 9, 2006
    Radiohead-lite, minus the abstract creativity.
  5. MarcoM
    Nov 15, 2005
    Nothing new or interesting...
  6. PhilA
    Jan 30, 2005
    Agree with Paul F. I have been a long time Muse fan, so I know my stuff. This album is just wrong - some of the tracks are downright boring and uninventive. Where is that bold and innovative Muse we came to love with Showbiz and OoS? + All the ingenious b-sides. I do thank them VERY VERY much for "Hysteria" though. That song is worthy of comparison with Bliss, musically - not lyrically.
  7. Dec 1, 2014
    Absolution is one of those records that aims for grandiose but for the most part falls short. While "Absolution" is a very listenable and at times enjoyable record, at times Muse are just overly dramatic and it can get a bit trying. There are plenty of nice little hooks and lines on the record but the operatic vocals and apocalyptic lyrics take themselves a bit too seriously in places. ForAbsolution is one of those records that aims for grandiose but for the most part falls short. While "Absolution" is a very listenable and at times enjoyable record, at times Muse are just overly dramatic and it can get a bit trying. There are plenty of nice little hooks and lines on the record but the operatic vocals and apocalyptic lyrics take themselves a bit too seriously in places. For me, Muse records always have killer singles which bring their albums up a few notches - "Time is Running Out" a great example of this on "Absolution". Unfortunately the other singles from this album are pretty average but overall we are left with a solid, if not terribly exciting album. Expand

1. Filter
    A massive concept album that is so gluttonously huge-sounding that it makes The Wall sound like a Sebadoh record. [#10, p.94]
  2. Despite the daunting Radiohead-colored cloud that hangs heavy over Muse, the band pushes the limits of its slick, pre-apocalyptic rock with a self-assured strut.
  3. Mojo
    Pushes the trio's grandiose delusions onto new levels of interpretative-dancing, mirror-cracking excess. [Oct 2003, p.107]