8.6

Review this album

1. Oct 29, 2010
    Another masterpiece by Muse, following the amazing Origin of Symmetry. Every song on the album is great, with the top 3 being Hysteria, Butterflies & Hurricanes, and Stockholm Syndrome.
  2. Sep 30, 2012
    The best CD so far with Muse, also the Showbiz that is not in the Metacritic database, pure 10, perfect. If you are feeling down, listen to this. The grand piano is the perfection in my opinion.
  3. Mar 2, 2013
    Remember Showbiz... Who would've thought that a band who made a album so down to earth with it's alt rock could make something sound so extraterrestrial. Origin of symmetry just opened a gate for us, but as it ends we were disabled to enter, kind of like an ending to an episode of a show which continues to the beginning of the next one. So with absolution muse have not only continued their work they've previously set up on OoS but they added so much on it. Guitars are so heavy that they could recreate the effect of a Moses stick, the melodies are layered perfectly and the album itself is nothing short of a classic. The grandiosity of muses music only adds to the curiosity of whether all those themes could be applied to the world we currently live in, that is, are those lyrics used as a metaphor describing our surroundings covering us so tight. Political songs like time is running out drain from the usual muse theme well of political corruption and brainwashing while other apocalypse invocating songs are doing their job too good that they make you question whether you can take muse seriously. Apocalypse please, an art rock song with a mind dementia inducing piano work that would postpone a true apocalypse until the songs end at least. But muse don't stop here, they make a ironic, even sarcastic, tribute to the underground society (let's call them underground) with ruled by secrecy, they question current beliefs in the unnatural (that is they question the perspective in which we see god and religion) with thoughts of a dying atheist and even pay attention to the human mind and thought and the way they provide as a muse for creating. All of these themes put together on a same record are a bit too much to take and digest, but once they lay down and insert themselves in your head you will be one lucky bastard (of course if you allow them to). Bringing new philosophical foundations to life has never been so much fun, just remember to close that gate until the next release. Expand
  4. Feb 13, 2011
    Best muse album
    absolutely flawless and all songs are beautiful
    it has either slow sad ballads like blackout, falling away with you or endlessly, but also great powerful rock songs like stockolm syndrome, hysteria and time is running out
  5. Apr 25, 2011
    One of the best albums of the past decade.
    As for haters who give it 0. Really? If you hate it so much why do you bother to visit this page at all? That's what I cannot get.
  6. Aug 19, 2010
    A simply stunning album, where I think the Radiohead-mimics criticism becomes completely unjustified. Muse truely become their own unique band in 'Absolution'. Most people seem to insult Muse by calling them over the top and pretentious, but if the crashing piano chords of Apocalypse Please, the pulsing, distorted bass of Hysteria and the superb piano solo and final chorus to Butterflies and Hurricanes are over the top then so be it, but does that make it not amazing music? Seems to me calling something 'over the top' isn't an insult, it's more a sit on the fence statement; neither negative nor positive. And as for the lack of genius some people (mostly Radiohead fans) seem to talk about...my favourite band is Radiohead and there is no piano work in any of Radiohead's music that is anywhere near as technically difficult as the piano solo in Butterflies and Hurricanes. So yes, perhaps it is over the top, but in my opinion that is the best thing about this album, because Muse tried and experimented as hard as they could to make an utterly unique sound Expand
  7. Dec 4, 2010
    Absolution is a great rock album. It really showed that Muse is a band to take very seriously. The lyrics are what really make this album. And the guitar is soaring. This album just sounds so good. Great tracks from this album is Apocalypse Please, Stockholm Syndrome, and Butterflies and Hurricanes. All In All, Absolution is Muse's best album yet. A-
  8. May 31, 2011
    "Absolution" is an absolute masterpiece by Muse. We could tell they had the potential to pull out something great from their first album "Showbiz", but they eclipsed even my highest expectations with this work. Every track seemed to have the caliber to be a top 40 hit, with "Time Is Running Out" proving to be a timeless classic. A brilliant album from a brilliant band
  9. j30
    Jan 30, 2012
    Absolution is the turning point for Muse both creatively and musically. It's epic, grandeur sound is a bit corny in some places, but effective none the less. Just a fantastic listen.
  10. Jul 22, 2011
    One of the best rock-albums of the last decade coming from one of the best bands of our time. Powerful, melodic and deep. Butterflies&Hurricanes, Ruled by Secrecy, Sing for Absolution are standouts, but there is not a bad song here. 10
  11. Jan 5, 2012
    Great album . Perfect songwriting , it´s very clear , Muse it does not sounds like Radiohead. Amazing songs , a great balance between heavy songs and not so heavy.
  12. Aug 7, 2013
    My second favourite album from Muse after Hullabaloo.

Every track is amazing, nearly every song in here is 10/10 IMO. The amount of emotion in this album is just mind-blowing. This album really reached my core. Many sad songs in here
  13. Apr 26, 2012
    Muse is a great, great band. Absolution is my favorite by them. The instrumentation, lyrics, and singing is all worthwhile. I don't understand how people say they copy Radiohead. Two completely different bands. Some of the songs are so energetic, which is awesome! Even the sad songs are good too!!!!!

A massive concept album that is so gluttonously huge-sounding that it makes The Wall sound like a Sebadoh record. [#10, p.94]
  2. Despite the daunting Radiohead-colored cloud that hangs heavy over Muse, the band pushes the limits of its slick, pre-apocalyptic rock with a self-assured strut.
    Pushes the trio's grandiose delusions onto new levels of interpretative-dancing, mirror-cracking excess. [Oct 2003, p.107]