American Idiot - Green Day
8.7

Review this album

1. Nov 9, 2011
    I don't know much about songs, but it doesn't take an American to realize how rocking out this music is, as well as the lyrics too.
  2. Mar 9, 2012
    One of the best albums of the 2000-2009 decade. This album was a classic and it still is. I dont listen to it as much as i did in 2004 **** still the best album since Nirvana's Nevermind
  3. May 17, 2012
    This is the definition of perfection. It starts of with the energetic first single and title track American Idiot: 10/10. Next there comes the super epic Jesus of Suburbia: 10/10. The 3rd track off the album is Holiday (10/10) which leads right into Boulevard of Broken Dreams. Boulevard of Broken Dreams is my second favourite song of all time and won the Grammy award for Record of the Year, I think. It fully deserved it: 10/10. Next comes Are We The Waiting (9/10) which is a slow track, but still really amazing. I look at it from 3 different points of view. First of all it's a good track. Then I sometimes take it as a kind of sow interlude in the album. Then I sometimes also understand it as an intro for the next fast track it leads right into: St. Jimmy (9/10). The 7th track off the album is Give Me Noavacaine which is kind of a bit slow like Are We The Waiting but again, really amazing: 10/10. She's a Rebel is the 8th track and is pretty fast-paced: 9/10. The 9th track is Extraordinary Girl. Sure, the verse isn't that convincing, but the chorus is just... Words can't express how great it is: 10/10. Next comes the epic Letterbomb. Just amazing: 10/10. Then there comes Wake Me Up When September Ends which opens quietly, with an acoustic guitar, finally evolving into an amazing song with solos, great melodies, and fantastic vocals: 10/10 Track 12 is Homecoming, a 9-minute epic just like Jesus of Suburbia: 10/10. The last track off American Idiot is Whatsername, evolving from a muffled guitar riff to an energetic, loud song: 10/10. Well done Green Day! Well done! There is NO bad track on this album. And I am realistic. Trust me, there is no bad song on this album at all. Expand
  4. Nov 21, 2010
    After years of hollow, uninspired guitar rock, this clever opus emerged as an instant classic. American Idiot delivers inventive hooks along with socially conscious lyrics, making this album stick out like a sore thumb in comparison to almost every other rock album of the era. It would be hard to dislike this album unless you were biased against the band for some other reason. The fact is that rock music is almost completely dead, and American Idiot may end up being the last truly great rock album. Expand
  5. Aug 9, 2011
    Greatest album of all time , jesus of suburbia shows every teen dream of living his life . With this album green day reborned rock and american idiot became a simbol for the new generation of rock fans
  6. Dec 27, 2010
    Absolutely epic, Green Day gives us an album that deserves to be named one of the best rock albums (if not the best) of the 21'st century first decade. Hilarious rock songs, grandiose epics and power ballads make up a very interesting album in which Billie Joe amstrong shows he is an excellent songwriter, one of the finest to come out of his generation.
  7. Jan 5, 2011
    American Idiot is one of the best punk albums of the millennium. Insightful lyrics, terrific singing, excellent guitar work, and more. Though not as great as Insomniac, it's still a wonderful 5 star album. Highlights: Jesus Of Suburbia, Holiday, Homecoming, Boulevard Of Broken Dreams.
  8. Jan 27, 2011
    One of the best albums ever made by Green Day. All of their songs are amazing and have a great hook to them. Also, Billie Joe Armstrong has one of the best vocals ever and he's a great guitarist!!!!
  9. Feb 1, 2011
    This album blew everyone away and opened the doors again for rock N roll! Amazing stuff! This is how rock operas should be played kids! American Idiot was truly an explosion by Green Day and you can hear the passion on every song on this album. Jesus of Suburbia is hands down one of the most amazing songs ever written. I'll never forget the first time hearing this amazing track and being blown away. Almost seven years later this album holds up well and will remain a classic album in history! Expand
  10. Feb 7, 2011
    This has to be my favourite album of all time, I listen to it religiously.

I love the storyline the album follows and the characters and how every song has it's own style and personality!
  11. Feb 22, 2011
    GREEN DAY IS BACK! After their multi-million selling album, "Dookie" they released three studio efforts and 1 complication record. They were good and if a Green Day fan they were great! But as most bands would break up after a hard spell, Green Day stuck together and put out the greatest album of the last 10 years. This is probably the best Rock Opera since The Who's "Tommy". With Bush about to serve another four years and the Iraqi war going strong Billie Joe's lyrics sum up all the frustration the younger generation had bottled up at that time. Green Day still has evidence of their punk past on songs like "St. Jimmy" and "She's A Rebel". They show their maturity on the two 9 minute epic songs "Jesus of Suburbia" and "Homecoming". The two best songs on the album are the anti-war "Holiday" and the Grammy Award winning "Boulevard of Broken Dreams"! Expand
  12. Mar 8, 2011
    Make sure ur sitting down when u start playing this song! other wise the sound of amazing punk rock will blow u back on your ass! Every song on this album is moving and sheer quality, no song lacks anything, when u listen to a song, you dont go, "that was pretty good, but i like _ better" every song feeds off the other. each song is different and better than the last in certain ways. i could listen to this album all the way thru 3 times in a row. Its moving, its got class, and it will make any music being played the radio right now look like complete garbage. this is what the people have been waiting for! not some autotuned garbage. This Is American Idiot! Expand
  13. Aug 5, 2011
    Absolutely, the best album of Green Day ever. The creative structure of the album, telling a story and the significant lyrics are really acclaimed. I will now highlight "Jesus of Suburbia"and "Homecoming", long songs with so much powerful punk concentrated which really make them an incredible masterpieces. One of the best album of the decade.
  14. May 10, 2011
    Green Day throws off the shackles of punk rock normalcy and blasts out a beautifully constructed rock opera, filled with vision and creativity, and oozing with spectacular lyricism and instrumentals. The best album of the decade.
  15. Jun 22, 2011
    With this album, Green Day turns into more of a punk rock band rather than punk. If ur disappointed, then dont be. They have finally found a genre that fits perfectly to them, and it rocks! Truly a work of art.
  16. Jul 6, 2011
    This is the definition of a perfect album. It covers a ton of genres without sounding convoluted or boring. If you love punk or classic rock, then you owe it to yourself to listen this album.
  17. Jul 19, 2012
    Awesome album! It's got it all. I love Green Day and have loved it for a long time and it's one of my all time favorite bands. This album has a lot of there most popular and best songs, like American Idiot, Boulevard of Broken Dreams, and Whatsername. I think that this album is actually their best album next to Dookie and Nimrod. Classic band with classic songs that will be loved and cherished forever. Expand
  18. j30
    Sep 21, 2011
    One of the best albums of the past decade. Amazing creative breakthrough. These songs will be playing on classic radio stations 20 years from now. It's interesting that a stolen demo tape lead them to one of their best albums of their career.
  19. Sep 10, 2011
    A lot of the songs on here are interminably long (i.e. "Jesus of Suburbia", "Homecoming"), but every single act in this musical rock opera is constructed to perfection and unbelievability.
  20. Aug 14, 2011
    Green day is one of my favorite bands ever and this is their best album. This is great album from start to finish and has some of their most well known songs.
  21. Aug 23, 2011
    One of the greatest albums of all time it is helped by the high paced energy of st. jimmy and american idiot, the sober greatness of wake me up when september ends and boulevard of broken dreams, and most importantly the 9 minute epics homecoming and jesus of suburbia makes this one of those every once and a while albums that all 100% listenable 10 out of 10
  22. Nov 6, 2011
    Great album it's was good that Green day grew out of it's childish style like previouse albums Kerplunk and Dookie (it was fun while it lasted) but this more hardcore rebellious sound seems to be working really well for the band, though it may appeal less to kids and teens because of political refrences I'm sure true punk rock fans will be proud.
  23. Nov 26, 2011
    This album is nothing short of amazing. You can stay in denial, but really it was one of the last mainstream albums that wasn't filled with fillers and had a single catchy single. The lyrics are great, and I literally spent about 4 hours analyzing Holiday and its metaphors and allusions. The album's ''intro'' American Idiot is short and straight-forward, a brilliant opening for the epic that is Jesus of Suburbia. The main body of the album is consistently amazing, with the exception of ''Letterbomb'', which i just didn't like. The greatest part of this album, however, is one I ignored until just recently. The last two songs, Homecoming and Whatsername are in my opinion the greatest way to close an album as amazing as this. You'd think Whatsername takes the Slow, Nostalgic road, but then completely changes direction.

What I like the most about this album is the fact that while having a definitely toned-down punk sound, it's definitely NOT pop-punk, due to the fact that Green Day build their songs with a much more complex structure, and don't act greedy with their riffs and melodies: They'll pack as much into one song as possible.

And to people calling their style ''simplistic'' and ''cheap'', know that Green Day's complexity comes from their chord progressions. If you look at this album, you'll notice that there aren't any 4 chord songs, and if there are, they're only part of a longer song. They are pretty diverse in that aspect, and i'd rather have them create substantial raw music than a pseudo-complex 4 chord song with great production.

TLDR: Great Album, no fillers, amazing themes, amazing lyrics, good guitar/drum/bass work, and great backup vocals. Green Day's best
  24. Jan 6, 2012
    While previous albums had their significance, American Idiot signaled the evolution of Green Day from simple Punk rockers to the some of the greatest storytellers of our era.
  25. Apr 9, 2012
    Not nearly as good as some of their older stuff such as Dookie, but this is still an excellent rock opera with a great plot, catchy tunes, and political undertones. Overall this is a great package, and the musical is great too. If you don't already have it (or even if you do), I suggest getting the American Idiot Cast Version of the album, as it has some extra tracks.
  26. Jun 5, 2012
    After a long break since their last album, "American Idiot" proves to be their best album yet. Providing a new spin on a classic rock album, Green Day has proven once again why they are the biggest rock band in the world right now.
  27. Aug 22, 2012
    I haven't heard all of Green Day's albums but this might be their best. Some people think it's a masterpiece and others think it sucks. It's rare for fans to disagree that much but in my own opinion I think American Idiot is a classic, if not a masterpiece. There is not one weak song on this album. Some fans may not like it because they like the old Green Day better but for most bands to survive they have to change in some way. My favorite tracks are American Idiot, Jesus of Suburbia, Boulevard of Broken Dreams, Holiday, St. Jimmy, Letterbomb, Wake Me Up When September Ends, Homecoming, and Whatsername. That is almost all of the songs. Call me whatever you want for loving this album, I don't care. Looks like most of the critics agree with me anyway. Expand
  28. Aug 31, 2012
    Great, wonderful, spectacular. It's the best Green Day album, my favourite. All 13 songs are very good, I can't find the worst. I think also Warning was very good, but American Idiot is great.
    No more words for such a masterpiece.
  29. Jan 5, 2013
    When you think 'Rock Opera' this is the album that instantly comes to mind, and that is because it is a candidate for best album of all time. This is an album that took the world by storm in 2004 and 2005 and single handedly boosted Green Day's career to an absolute high, with singles winning awards and being tonnes of airtime, after all, everybody here has heard American Idiot, Wake Me Up When September Ends or Boulevard of Broken Dreams at least 10 times, and I highly doubt nobody is sick of ALL of those songs, let alone any of them. Overall, a wonderful album and a true masterpiece. Must buy! Expand
  30. Sep 27, 2012
    Punk perfection! Every song is powerful, catchy and meaningful. It may be a complicated story but once you get the story it is awesome! Other than Dookie, this is Green Day's best offering.
  31. Dec 23, 2012
    this is by far green day's best album, tunes like american idiot and boulevard of broken dreams i never get tired of listening to! this awesome album will always have a place in my itunes library!
  32. Feb 19, 2014
    Un Disco excelente, de hecho me parece el mejor de la banda hasta ahora, lo recomiendo a cualquiera que le guste el rock, ademas cuenta una historia muy buena, muy recomendado!
  33. Dec 16, 2012
    This has got to be one of the greatest albums, not just in rock history, but of all music history. Definitely one of those albums you should listen to before you die.
  34. Jan 12, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A amazing album, its got it all, from punk to softer songs that all goes together really well. There is a storyline cleverly written in to this album which can has so many meanings and everytime you listen to it you pick up on something new. One of the greatest albums of all time! Expand
  35. Apr 1, 2013
    Who would have thought that snotty-nosed punksters Green Day would create one of the greatest albums of the decade? After a period of critical and commercial polarization, the trio returned with a rock opera that -despite having a ridiculous plot- went on to turn Green Day into serious rock stars. All the songs are brilliant courtesy of Billie Joe's politically charged lyrics and the group's sound as a whole. A must buy for everyone. Expand
  36. Feb 2, 2014
    The pinnacle of Punk-rock. Lyrically brilliant, fantastic meanings behind some of the songs, a great story behind the entire rock-opera, and unlike many albums, it's truly involving (I was looking up Jesus of suburbia and Saint Jimmy for hours last night! I even changed my steam name), and musically amazing. By far the best album out there, and it takes a lot for me to say that. Truly perfect.
  37. Apr 19, 2013
    This is the kind of album that gets people excited about music. A beautiful blend of the personal and political, "American Idiot" excellently captures the emotional landscape of the post-9/11 U.S. Themes like media hysteria, anti-imperialism, antiwar sensibilities, lower middle class life, religious disillusionment, drug addiction, tragic love, the search for meaning, and ultimately learning everything the hard way, are all woven together into a story that makes up for what it lacks in clarity with surprisingly accessible gravitas. Stylistically, critics of Green Day are quick to point out their disloyalty to the tried-and-true formulas of punk's first wave, and indeed you will find this album to be anything but formulaic. This time, the trio have seen fit to experiment not only with song structure, but also modestly with instrumentation, and it has paid off. That said, if you are a fan of the boisterous pop-punk of the Ramones, the fiery idealism of the Clash, and the grandiosity of the Who, you will feel at home listening to "American Idiot". While older critics harp on the fact that Green Day had the nerve to form in the late 80's instead of 10 or 15 years earlier, the sweet children have grown up, and they have a hell of a story to tell. Come to this album with no biases or pretensions, and it might very well change your life. Expand
  38. Jun 2, 2013
    "American Idiot" Uma Obra Prima Dos Anos 2000. Com Temas Essenciais Como Politíca,Injustiça,Morte E Desemprego. Duas Longas E Excelentes Ópera De Rock Jesus Of Suburbia E Homecoming. As Punk Rock Essência Do GD American Idiot,Holiday,St Jimmy,She's A Rebel,Letterbomb E As Longas Jesus Of Suburbia E Homecoming E As Fundamentais Baladas De Rock Boulevard Of Broken Dreams,Are We The Waiting,Give Me Novacaine,Wake Me Up When Semptember Ends E Para Encerrar Com Chave De Ouro Whatsername

Top De American Idiot
    1-Boulevard Of A Broken Dreams
    2-Holiday
    3-Letterbomb
    4-Homecoming
    5-Jesus Of Suburbia
  39. Jun 15, 2013
    American Idiot is one of my favorite albums of all time. The music is great and the messages from the songs are ones I can agree with. A quick message to everyone that is mad about Green Day calling Americans "idiots": We are, now chill.
  40. Oct 4, 2013
    Amazing album that stands it test of time and still is a masterpiece almost 10 years into the future. Truly a classic. I would even go so far to compare this album to Nevermind by Nirvana or Abbey Road by The Beatles or IV by Led Zeppelin.All tracks are amazing but I would have to admit that the middle is not as good as the beginning and end but those tracks are awesome aswell! Track by track: American Idiot 10/10 this power rocker starts up the album with a huge bang, still hears this song today on the radio or the tv. Jesus of Suburbia 10/10 this 9 minute rock-opera keeps my interest through the whole song. Holiday 10/10 Awesome! Nuff' said. Boulevard of Broken Dreams 10/10 another timeless classic that i still hear being played. Are we waiting 10/10 This 3 minute song is so epic! St.Jimmy 10/10 Fast paced fun! Here is where the album is getting a bit worse on the 4 following tracks: Give me novachine,Extraordinary Girl, Letterbomb. 9/10 but I love She is a Rebel 10/10. Wake me up when september ends 10/10 A truly beautiful song that Billie Joe wrote to his dad that passed away of cancer when Billie Joe was 10. He died in september and "Wake me up when september ends" is a reference to what BIllie Joe said on his fathers funeral. Homecoming 10/10 another awesome 9 minute
    rock-opera. Diverse and intense. Whatsername 9.5/10 awesome closer that sums up the album perfectly. Oh, did I mention that you should listen to the lyrics to truly understand the album. You see, this whole album is a story. This review turned up pretty long so I think I will end it here. You know what to do! Just listen to this already!!!
  41. Jan 15, 2014
    may not even be the kings of punk rock (or post-punk, pop punk, or whatever), but left pretty and good messages in this album. A landmark in the 2000s and in the digital age, American Idiot is nothing more than a fact of American conflict, and musicality based on opera, is not bad either. Amazing how this album ages well and still current. Green Day is doing its job and very good.
  42. Mar 31, 2014
    This album, while it may have controversial lyrics, has a lot of soul in the tune, which is why I listen to music. It's got powerful choruses and catchy verses - and some substantial songs, I enjoy that a lot.

1. It is exactly what the band needs to boost itself to the next level of pop-punk prowess.
  2. There's still plenty of spunk in to be found in this Sgt. Pepper-lite.
  3. Not only does it contain Green Day’s finest songs (and choruses) to date... but it also scratches at the surface of political dissatisfaction with nails sharp enough to leave a nasty scar.