• Record Label: RCA
  • Release Date: Aug 15, 2006
8.8

Review this album

1. Nov 21, 2011
    I Loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooove this album
  2. Jun 13, 2011
    Whoa. This is pop perfection! "Hurt" is an unforgettable ballad, "Candyman" is a jazzy '40s-style swing tune, and "Ain't No Other Man" channels '60s funk. There are many more great, classy songs as well. Christina has had one of the best voices of any Hollywood diva since she started singing. She deserves praise for bringing old-fashioned vocal pop in the style of '20s, '30s, and '40sWhoa. This is pop perfection! "Hurt" is an unforgettable ballad, "Candyman" is a jazzy '40s-style swing tune, and "Ain't No Other Man" channels '60s funk. There are many more great, classy songs as well. Christina has had one of the best voices of any Hollywood diva since she started singing. She deserves praise for bringing old-fashioned vocal pop in the style of '20s, '30s, and '40s songs to mainstream pop music. Expand
  3. Mar 22, 2012
    Without doubt the best Christina Aguilera, and also one of the riskiest album of the 21st century. What artist in the full year 2006 would have the courage to release an album of Blues and Soul? No one. But Christina did, got the deserved success, and as always, the quality put into it and feeling the tracks. Highlight tracks Hurt Oh Mother, Is not No Other Man, Slow Down Baby, Candyman,Without doubt the best Christina Aguilera, and also one of the riskiest album of the 21st century. What artist in the full year 2006 would have the courage to release an album of Blues and Soul? No one. But Christina did, got the deserved success, and as always, the quality put into it and feeling the tracks. Highlight tracks Hurt Oh Mother, Is not No Other Man, Slow Down Baby, Candyman, Save Me From Myself and Mercy On Me. Expand
  4. Aug 9, 2012
    Christina Aguilera's best album so far. One of the best album of 2006. Ain't No Other Man, Hurt, Candyman, Welcome and Mercy on Me are just amazing !!!
  5. Jul 17, 2013
    Christina takes us "Back In The Day" in her oldschool R&B oriented, fully grown up, amazing, breathtaking, best album in her career. First disc mainly contains of joyfull, full of life songs like "Makes Me Wanna Prey", "Ain't No Other Man", "Back In The Day", "Slow Down Baby" and "Still Dirrty" and light but not shallow ballads like "Oh Mother" and "Without You" with every one of themChristina takes us "Back In The Day" in her oldschool R&B oriented, fully grown up, amazing, breathtaking, best album in her career. First disc mainly contains of joyfull, full of life songs like "Makes Me Wanna Prey", "Ain't No Other Man", "Back In The Day", "Slow Down Baby" and "Still Dirrty" and light but not shallow ballads like "Oh Mother" and "Without You" with every one of them sampling one of Xtina's favouite songs. Second disc partially foreshadows what will happen in 2010 on "Burlesque" soundtrack. Even if "Enter The Circus" is a mess the rest of the CD is flawless. It conatins both sexy songs like "Candyman", "Nasty Naughty Boy" and "I Got Trouble" vulnerable, beauiful ballads like "Welcome", "Save Me From Myself", "The Right Man" and finally Christina's best song ever done "Hurt.

6. Oct 4, 2013
    Now, that's is what they call music. It's an amazing pop album flavored with 40's, 50's, 60's Jazz and Blues materials. The lyrics are amazing same th the beats and the vocal performance. A true masterpiece.
  7. Dec 4, 2013
    This is the album that Beyoncé always wanted to do, sophisticated, well crafted and extremely tasteful, Back to Basics itself as a masterpiece of Christina Aguilera.
  8. Aug 4, 2014
    It's so good because of three main things:
    Christina's immaculate voice and how she screams powerfully even in mellow parts of songs.
    The production, of course.
    The homages, and the skit-like World War II lyrics and intros. It's a comedic work of art.
    It's a bummer because:
    It's divided to two discs when one could had made do.
  9. ntukziem
    Aug 21, 2006
    xtina bridges the gap with her best work yet... awesome album!!!
  10. JamesT
    Aug 23, 2006
    Phenomenal.... one word says it all... excellent work girl!
  11. R.M.Bronson
    Aug 6, 2006
    Stellar. Excellent. A must buy. Definitely a frontrunner for Album of the Year.
  12. dgfgdgffdg
    sexy
  13. FrankN
    Aug 7, 2006
    The best female voice out there!
  14. MohammedS
    Aug 7, 2006
    Brilliant, brilliant album. She has more authentic hiphop beats than the NY rappers. She put them all to shame, and I can't believe I just said that.
  15. KennyH
    Sep 18, 2006
    It's an AMAZING album!.. it's very different, compared to stripped. but I think this cd is more 'happy':).. it's superb! Personally I like the second cd little bit more:)
  16. StephenN
    Sep 2, 2006
    I think this is Christina's Best Album So Far.I particularly like Disc 2 Better than Disc 1.and her vocal talent comes out strong on this Album so close to what she really loves.
  17. MarkW
    Sep 3, 2006
    It shows through the music that she really put time into making this album. This album isn't for everybody, but for those people out there that are looking for QUALITY pop music, this is the CD for you.
  18. Tiar
    Sep 6, 2006
    Aguilera shows her vocal prowess once again in an original, funky mix of heart wrenching ballads, sassy 40's bar room swingers, and soulful tributes to the legends of the first half of the twentieth century. The chameleon-like Aguilera has shed her skin from a bubblegum teen pop princess to a dirrty chaps wearing rebel to a subtely sensual traditional soul/pop/r'n'b queen. Aguilera shows her vocal prowess once again in an original, funky mix of heart wrenching ballads, sassy 40's bar room swingers, and soulful tributes to the legends of the first half of the twentieth century. The chameleon-like Aguilera has shed her skin from a bubblegum teen pop princess to a dirrty chaps wearing rebel to a subtely sensual traditional soul/pop/r'n'b queen. And for that, I applaud her. Expand
  19. aczxc
    Feb 22, 2007
    tdy
  20. katiec
    Mar 3, 2007
    don't understand the bad reviews, the album is brilliant! i love candyman and hurt they are the best songs.
  21. BálintK
    May 8, 2007
    This album is very good
  22. FredricE.
    Jun 7, 2007
    Best release of 2006.. Christina has grown so much into a more mature artist. shes just perfect.
  23. DevonS
    Feb 3, 2010
    Excellent album. She sounds like a woman in control of her career and you can't get any better than "Mercy on Me," "Hurt," "On Our Way," and "Ain't No Other Man." She is amazing and has the best voice of this generation.
  24. AnaB.
    Oct 1, 2006
    Christina Aguilera is by far one of if not the greatest singer of our generation. I love the new sound she provided on Back to Basics. Sometimes a couple of songs sounded too similar to others, but overall I loved it.
  25. ChrisM
    Oct 12, 2006
    I'm agree that without a few songs this would be a master piece... Disc 2 is outrageous... Some of the Disc 1 is not working for me, but comparing this album with the emo trash or the stupid pop out there, she demands a lot of respect hands down... And I can smell the grammys here too...
  26. pattys
    Nov 20, 2006
    love it!!
  27. miyoj
    Dec 7, 2006
    albun of the year!!!!!
  28. manuelm
    Aug 12, 2006
    A well produced album. It doesn't even seem like a double album. DJ Premier and Linda Perry did a good job.
  29. AH
    Aug 17, 2006
    An instant classic from an artist that continues to improve with age, this girl adds an 'x factor' to every track that lifts them to another level. Christina is the greatest talent of her generation, and though others such as Kelly Clarkson are worthy successors, she remains THE best pop vocalist of our time.
  30. TunM
    Aug 17, 2006
    She is the best female singer in the world right now & this album is such a classic...simply amazing...Still dirrty,Hurt,The Right Man,Mercy on Me,Save me from myself,Here to stay,Without you"& so..so many great songs in 2 cds...she'll win Album of the year with this "back to Basics" in Grammy time ....
  31. JoeC
    Aug 18, 2006
    Great album Every song is wonderfull!!
  32. richardj
    Aug 18, 2006
    This album is a mixed bag, it's not bad, but not great, at first listesn i was going to take the CD back to the shop but I prefer the second disc as it' has more solid songs! But three of my criticisms of this album, which take the pints of 10 is: Christina needs to learn to control her wonderful voice, probably one of the best and unique in pop music, why? she could have used This album is a mixed bag, it's not bad, but not great, at first listesn i was going to take the CD back to the shop but I prefer the second disc as it' has more solid songs! But three of my criticisms of this album, which take the pints of 10 is: Christina needs to learn to control her wonderful voice, probably one of the best and unique in pop music, why? she could have used her range but not the belting out voice(too musical/showy sounding) all the time, if you sing jazz it's phrasing, emotion and control but also subtlies, like the greats use ella, sarah vaughn, billie holiday! Two their is a lot of crappy tracks (thank you is sickly! to name one!) which if edited the album properly could have been cut to a 15 track album disc! The third is the artist Lina does this music mixing jazz/r & b and I think christina maybe needed to hear her album to make hers solid, maybe even ue travis house as porducer! Expand
  33. ChristinaN
    Aug 18, 2006
    In my opinion, Christina has made a master piece. Of 22 songs (including interludes) I only find myself skipping 3. One of them being an interlude. This means 19 great songs.
  34. IanS
    Aug 20, 2006
    No current pop artist can touch Christina, vocally. She proves that this record. No current pop artist can reach Christina, artistically. She proves that this record. No current pop artist makes pop records of this calibur. Christina has.
  35. GillesB
    Aug 22, 2006
    I'm not really a fan of christina, but this record is pure bliss... loads of catchy tunes, rather original compared to what she's done before... i'm buying!
  36. JeffreyQ
    Aug 20, 2006
    definitely a great comeback album, back to basics is packed with cool dance music (ain't no other man, slow down baby and candyman), soft ballads (without you and save me from myself), and powerful vocal acrobatics (understand, mercy on me, and makes me wanna pray). it is an eclectic mix of everything that can be classified pop and it contains the best interlude ever: enter the definitely a great comeback album, back to basics is packed with cool dance music (ain't no other man, slow down baby and candyman), soft ballads (without you and save me from myself), and powerful vocal acrobatics (understand, mercy on me, and makes me wanna pray). it is an eclectic mix of everything that can be classified pop and it contains the best interlude ever: enter the circus + welcome. Expand
  37. ElizabethR
    Aug 24, 2006
    I love Back to basics.
  38. Jed
    Aug 26, 2006
    This is by far the best album I've heard this year. Christina has really grown as an artist. I can't stop listening to the songs. Keep up the good work girl!!!
  39. OdaiA
    Aug 6, 2006
    Album of the year, hands down.
  40. Rob
    Aug 6, 2006
    What a major step forward from Stripped..though this is classified as Pop, the album really spans all genres WITH a purpose. Christina is really pushing herself and its great to see...nice album.
  41. christinar
    Aug 6, 2006
    pure perfection. its a grammy contender. best album of the year so far and aguilera's best effort.
  42. tenzingd
    Aug 9, 2006
    christina´s versatile voice is a strength she uses to idolise the great singers of blues and jazz of the past. I have already listened the album, back to basic. She is getter better and better. she blows you out.
  43. AntonioB
    Sep 15, 2006
    The best album from this singer. Very unique and interesting. The sounds, the voice, the lyrics, it's all perfect and different.
  44. despor
    Sep 17, 2006
    I love this cd, i love the fact that it is different to what other people are releasing, she deserves all the sucess with this. Amazing.
  45. MarquisW
    Sep 21, 2006
    Definately not better then Stripped, but that was far to hard to top. I enjoyed the album for what it was!
  46. amandad
    Sep 2, 2006
    Chrisitina has delivered as usual...great tunes and excellent vocals. She does what any artist does by borrowing from her predecessors. I like the fact that they inspired her music, and it is very obvious throughout the album, BUT it is still very much her own. There are a lot of playful songs, but she doesn't forget to include meaningful songs like "Sorry." The double disc album is Chrisitina has delivered as usual...great tunes and excellent vocals. She does what any artist does by borrowing from her predecessors. I like the fact that they inspired her music, and it is very obvious throughout the album, BUT it is still very much her own. There are a lot of playful songs, but she doesn't forget to include meaningful songs like "Sorry." The double disc album is amazing and actually a great deal when you consider the fact that you are getting about two albums worth of music in one. Expand
  47. desireeb
    Sep 20, 2006
    Christina Aguilera did a fantastic job on this album, she wanted something different to change the way people see her... her voice is so powerful and the style of music is classic.
  48. mAzc
    Sep 5, 2006
    I think this album is fab! Craggy has got such an interestin n unique voice! Best album of the year!
  49. BigDog
    Feb 1, 2007
    I don't understand the low ratings for this album. It is absolutely brilliant. This has my vote for album of the year hands down. Christina-Rules!
  50. EdwardH
    May 8, 2007
    Another dope ass album from Aguilera. She just keepz excelin' in brilliance every time. I love Candyman and ain't no other man best. But I like all tha songs 2. They ain't no bad songs at in this album. Their all trill. you go Girl!
  51. DanielC
    Oct 12, 2006
    this is by far one of the greatest most creative album she has done. she is one of the artist in 20 or 30 years from now recieving a lifetime acheivement award. ill say it's better than stripped becuz of creativity luv u xtina, aka babyjane
  52. stephanie
    Oct 13, 2006
    it has very nice songs in the cd
  53. Lyssha
    Oct 16, 2006
    Not perfect, and definitly not as good as stripped, but it is a good album. Most of the songs are likeable, some are amazing, and some have to grow on you a bit. Overall, a good album and a good achievement for Ms. Aguilera.
  54. LianeG
    Oct 21, 2006
    There's no doubt that Ms. Aguilera is one of the most talented vocalists of her generation. Ultimately, that talent shines through, regardless of what you might think of the songs. That said, most of the songs on Back To Basics are great. However, the production of the album as a whole lacks the greatness of Stripped. However, it is still a fantastic album. "Hurt" is my favorite track.
  55. BarbL
    Oct 3, 2006
    She sounds excellant and her vocal is so great! An absolutely great singer!
  56. Kristina
    Aug 10, 2006
    This album is absolutely amazing. A critic has to be deaf, dumb & blind to write a negative review. Not only is this album a courageous piece of work for such a mainstream artist, but the second disc is all live instruments which is never found in the mainstream today. Christina has set the bar with this album so all the other chart-toppers had better get their game on.
  57. SpencerU
    Aug 14, 2006
    The album is amazing. It's one of those albums everyone has to buy... only comes along a few times (if that) in a decade. GET YOURSELF A COPY.
  58. AdamS
    Aug 15, 2006
    One of the greatest albums I have heard in quite some time.
  59. RhondaR
    Aug 15, 2006
    Fantastic... and this album gets better every time you listen to it. Christina's vocals are amazing.
  60. EvanK
    Aug 15, 2006
    Fantastic! Christina has never sounded better vocally. This is her best record to date and the first to truly show that she is an "artist."
  61. lionelb
    Aug 16, 2006
    Fantastic......the nest pop album this year
  62. SeanD
    Aug 16, 2006
    Creativity and individuality alone garner this CD a 10. Simply put, there is no other pop artist out there willing to take the kinds of chances that Christina takes on this record. As Beyonce sings of Deja Vu, we are all left with that feeling, since all of her work is starting to sound the same, and nearly indistinguishable from her work with Desinty's Child. Christina could have Creativity and individuality alone garner this CD a 10. Simply put, there is no other pop artist out there willing to take the kinds of chances that Christina takes on this record. As Beyonce sings of Deja Vu, we are all left with that feeling, since all of her work is starting to sound the same, and nearly indistinguishable from her work with Desinty's Child. Christina could have simplly made a continuation of her Stripped CD, and many would have been happy, but she continues to push her art forward, and THIS is the mark of a true artist. And even though I understand where the comments about "oversinging" come from, Xtina is a "belter". It is a style, and one consistant with some of the soul legends. She's got the pipes, and she knows how to use them. Her quieter moments are indeed affecting, but when she lets loose she is simply awe inspiring. I appreciate and love mellow artists like Sade, but I also love to hear someone who can truely belt out a song, and give me gooseflesh in the process. I wish people would stop criticiizing her and appreciate her artistic contributions. Expand
  63. JudithL
    Aug 18, 2006
    Most beautiful album ever!Just have to listen to it and you will love it
  64. TomG
    Aug 18, 2006
    A remarkable album from a young singer who used to sing Teen Pop. Now Christina has moved onto a mature sound which not only allows her to show off her amazing voice, but it also has allowed her to create some of the best work of her career. Simply stunning. Download: Save Me From Myself, Slow Down Baby, Makes Me Wanna Pray and Candyman.
  65. MO'Kane
    Excellent
  66. JeffB
    Aug 18, 2006
    what a different and great album! definetly a classic! wow amazing job christina!
  67. TJValerio
    Aug 18, 2006
    Back To Basics is a wild ride. The disc I enjoyed more is disc 2. Back To Basics displays Christina's creativity and passion for her art. This no doubt is her best effort yet.
  68. TerraC
    Aug 18, 2006
    Glad she's back. Loves it!
  69. GreaD
    Aug 18, 2006
    THIS ALBUM KICKS ASS. Everyone go buy it!! It's her best album yet!
  70. LucyH
    Aug 18, 2006
    LOVE IT!!!!! best Christina Aguilera album!
  71. ceryset
    Aug 18, 2006
    This is a masterpiece. most of the people that gave it bad reviews due to the production forgot to research her own concept of the record. she didn't say PURE JAZZ, she said ELEMENTS OF JAZZ WITH A MODERN DAY TWIST meaning, old time instruments but put together in a modern style which is exactly what she did. and when it comes to her vocals, she toned down when she needed to. to evry This is a masterpiece. most of the people that gave it bad reviews due to the production forgot to research her own concept of the record. she didn't say PURE JAZZ, she said ELEMENTS OF JAZZ WITH A MODERN DAY TWIST meaning, old time instruments but put together in a modern style which is exactly what she did. and when it comes to her vocals, she toned down when she needed to. to evry song, thers a concept of those decades. every song is a masterpiece in its own way. i love it. Expand
  72. CharlesW
    Aug 19, 2006
    Awesome album. One woman One voice 22 songs and 2 discs BEST ALBUM OF 2006
  75. JonG
    Aug 21, 2006
    I absolutely love this album, just like I've loved everything Christina has ever done. I am in love with her even more after hearing this album, and her inspiration. No one else, I thionk, of her generation would have the balls, the chops, or the songwriting skill, or the emotion to pull something like this off, but she did, and it's amazing
  76. DarkoS
    Aug 23, 2006
    ....christina is THE best... :D
  77. Ness
    Aug 25, 2006
    Awesome! I can't stop listening to this cd. I loved stripped and I love B2B!!!
  78. JT
    Aug 30, 2006
    Love love love her new CD. Wonderful music, wonderful instruments and beats. Lyrics are great. Her voice is amazing as usual. Keep doing your thing girl.
  79. JD
    Aug 3, 2006
    I have an advanced copy and the CD is amazing.
  80. MichaelD
    Aug 6, 2006
    I smell Grammy all over this album.
  81. JessicaH
    Awesome CD!!
  82. AdrienD
    Amazing
  83. ChrisN/A
    Sep 2, 2006
    Almost 4 years and Christina finally puts out another album. Fantastic album at that. This album should be showered in grammys as its full of gems. Its album of the year material. Christina has seriously come alooooonnnnnng way from when she first started. Shes unstopable and definately here to stay. Highlights for me were WITHOUT YOU,ENTER THE CIRCUS, WELCOME, HURT,SAVE ME FROM MYSELF. Almost 4 years and Christina finally puts out another album. Fantastic album at that. This album should be showered in grammys as its full of gems. Its album of the year material. Christina has seriously come alooooonnnnnng way from when she first started. Shes unstopable and definately here to stay. Highlights for me were WITHOUT YOU,ENTER THE CIRCUS, WELCOME, HURT,SAVE ME FROM MYSELF. This album is pure perfection and baby jane should be PROUD Expand
  84. JoseT
    Sep 24, 2006
    I think this album is her best album yet....vocally and in what concerns of songwriting. This is a great effort from her and she has proven that she can still be popular and take her music to another album, I defenitly love this album and I think this should be nominated for the GRAMMYS 2007
  85. Albert
    Sep 5, 2006
    It's one of the best pop/hip hop albums of the season, it's new beats when all is the same, it's glad to hear it. Ido really think this one's the best of her carrer up to now
  86. VijayP
    Sep 7, 2006
    I'm surprised the album has only 68 for critics. I think its about an A-. Its pretty good, not perfect, also very long, still its worth the buy. Our favorite "Dirrty" girl proves she's here to stay and that being "different" can be a very good thing. She seems to challenge herself, that I respect about her. Some songs aren't that great, but most of it is very interesting I'm surprised the album has only 68 for critics. I think its about an A-. Its pretty good, not perfect, also very long, still its worth the buy. Our favorite "Dirrty" girl proves she's here to stay and that being "different" can be a very good thing. She seems to challenge herself, that I respect about her. Some songs aren't that great, but most of it is very interesting and cool. Download "Hurt"(One of her best songs to date, vocally, excellent, IMO of course), "Ain't No Other Man"(which is alright for me, the video makes the song better though!.), "Save Me From Myself", "Candyman"(its alright, love the throwback feel though), "Slow Down Baby", "Understand", and "I Got Trouble", to name my favorites. Expand
  87. Ben
    Mar 16, 2007
    This is my favorites album!!!!!
  88. rachel
    Mar 28, 2007
    This cd kicks major ass anyone who dosen't like it is out of thier mind and dosen't know what real music sounds like!
  89. chelsb
    May 12, 2007
    Amazing album, if your thinking of purchasing- you most def. should. Slow Down Baby, Still Dirrty and Save me from myself would have to be my favorite out of the songs on Back to Basics!
  90. ÉliotL.
    Jun 8, 2007
    Christina is one of the best singer ever!
  91. JordanF.
    Jul 14, 2007
    fascinating!
  92. ROMINAV
    Jul 24, 2007
    i love candyman but i dont like nasty naughty boy and fuss i love hurt and aint another man and understand and welcome and still dirty im the biggest fan in the world love ya christina
  93. BryanW
    Dec 23, 2009
    Her voice gives me goosebumps. Incredible vocal expertise, amazing ability to express emotions, really well-written tracks... Aren't they enough to make up a worthy album?
  94. SanchezI
    Nov 18, 2006
    Great album, great singer, great person
  95. Roe
    Oct 21, 2006
    Okay, so the album isn't perfect. In fact, there are some songs I haven't bothered to listen to yet(Without You and ThankYou) and it IS very self involved....but, it is interesting and distinct from anything else out there at the moment. And it's fun! Like pop music's supposed to be! Especially Candyman and Mercy on Me. I'm only giving it a seven 'cos she Okay, so the album isn't perfect. In fact, there are some songs I haven't bothered to listen to yet(Without You and ThankYou) and it IS very self involved....but, it is interesting and distinct from anything else out there at the moment. And it's fun! Like pop music's supposed to be! Especially Candyman and Mercy on Me. I'm only giving it a seven 'cos she does bleat on about her husband way too much. Thats one thing it could've done without. Stripped is better in that respect 'cos it has a wider range of song themes. Expand
  96. RachelY.
    Dec 14, 2006
    I really like the album a lot. I like the songs Hurt and Ain't No Other Man. I know all of the words. She's come a long way also.
  97. ChrisE
    Oct 22, 2006
    Back to Basics is an admirable attempt by Christina Aguilera. But at a lengthy 23 tracks the art (at times) gets lost in the overall blandness of the material. There are some great songs here--"Save Me From Myself" is sultry R&B at its best (and one of Aguilera's best performances), "Welcome" is pure circus-inspired fun, "The Right Man" is introspection at its finest and "Candyman" Back to Basics is an admirable attempt by Christina Aguilera. But at a lengthy 23 tracks the art (at times) gets lost in the overall blandness of the material. There are some great songs here--"Save Me From Myself" is sultry R&B at its best (and one of Aguilera's best performances), "Welcome" is pure circus-inspired fun, "The Right Man" is introspection at its finest and "Candyman" is a delightful 50s-infused jingle--but for the number of good tracks on Back to Basics there seem to be even more bad ones (Disc 2 happens to be the most likable of the two). Disc 1's lead-off single (and first hit) "Ain't No Other Man" is decent material, but lacks that sound that makes an international No. 1 smash sngle a smash (which seems to be an issue with Aguilera's respectable, but not stellar career thus far); and the remaining tracks on Disc 1, though musically-inspired, also lack single material-sound. Christina's singing abilities are definitely as amazing as they've always been, but the nonstop wailing gets tiresome after repeated listens (which is why Disc 2 sounds so much better than its predecessor). Back to Basics is an admirable attempt for credibility as an artist, but it's far from being perfect. Nice try, though. Expand
  98. alephoneproductions
    Dec 29, 2006
    i liked it alot it does have some bad songs, but the good ones more than make up for them
  99. JohnnyA
    Aug 11, 2006
    This is one of the best pop albums I've ever heard from such a young vocalist. She's really a great songwriter and DJ Premier has brought out the best in her. 15 years from now we will have yet another legend among us.
  100. Patrick
    Aug 12, 2006
    I've never been a big fan of Aguilera's work, but it is impossible to deny that she is one of the best (if not the best) vocalists in the current music scene. Her latest two-disc set is nothing short of epic. One can only imagine how much time and effort was put into the conception of Back to Basics. Essentially what we see here is the maturation of a singer, and, quite frankly, I've never been a big fan of Aguilera's work, but it is impossible to deny that she is one of the best (if not the best) vocalists in the current music scene. Her latest two-disc set is nothing short of epic. One can only imagine how much time and effort was put into the conception of Back to Basics. Essentially what we see here is the maturation of a singer, and, quite frankly, it is something that is not often seen in this day and age of, for lack of a better word, crappy music. Too often do artists focus themselves on single themes and fail to broaden their horizons. Fortunately, Mrs. Aguilera is not one of those artists. The two-disc set consists of separately produced entities- the first produced by DJ Premier, the second by Linda Perry. We receive an introduction to the theme that is, well, not in any way subtle. Right at the start there is a proclamation of going "back to the basics." And from this point forward, the listener demands tangible evidence to support this assertion. Thankfully, Aguilera does so adeptly, though she covers a broader range of eras than she has reported in interviews. This is, however, a highly insignificant flaw. The main complaints that critics have voiced concerning this latest work are its apparent self-indulgence and failure to completely grasp the mood of the periods presented. In all honesty, I am shocked that Aguilera is not more self-indulgent in Back to Basics. I think anyone with a voice like hers would be very willing to brag incessantly. I do believe she is actually being modest in this work. As for the second complaint, I doubt it would exist if the critics knew nothing of Aguilera and her image before this album was released. Compare some of her songs on this new cd to some of the greats of the past. There really is not much of a difference (save some of the modern editing). Overall, I feel that this will redeem Aguilera as a vocalist rather than just a "performer." Indeed, I pity those who will go up against her come Grammy time. She is the sure front runner of the year. Expand

1. Beyond the retro instrumentation, however, it's unclear what Aguilera has really learned from her idols.
  2. Aguilera doesn't have the gravitas of her heroes, and her forays into bluesy torch singing and '40s-style swing are stiff and mannered. But she needn't genuflect before the past -- she can make her own glorious kind of 21st-century noise.
  3. This rather bloated record should be regarded as a disappointment - an interesting one, but a disappointment none the less.