9.1

Review this album

1. Sep 21, 2011
    Sia Furler's 3rd album "Colour the Small One" is a deeply emotional album where her talents as a lyricist truly shine through. Sounding miles different from her 1997 trip-hop laced debut, "OnlySee," or her 2001 follow-up, the acid jazz/hip-hop infused "Healing is Difficult," "Colour..." holds its own as an extremely personal, brutally honest album. Album opener "Rewrite" is in starkSia Furler's 3rd album "Colour the Small One" is a deeply emotional album where her talents as a lyricist truly shine through. Sounding miles different from her 1997 trip-hop laced debut, "OnlySee," or her 2001 follow-up, the acid jazz/hip-hop infused "Healing is Difficult," "Colour..." holds its own as an extremely personal, brutally honest album. Album opener "Rewrite" is in stark contrast to the tracks of "Healing...," with Sia painfully whispering dark lyrics. The track "Sunday" is a surprisingly optimistic and summery song with a wonderful chorus. Then comes the now iconic, emotional behemoth "Breathe Me." Little more can be said to try and describe this song other than slick perfection. Beck helped pen the following track "The Bully" where we finally realize that there is more to this talented woman than meets the eyes. "Sweet Potato," "Don't Bring Me Down," "Natale's Song," and "Butterflies" make up the core of this album, each with their own separate, powerful strengths and vulnerabilities. Radiohead-inspired "Moon," gospel-driven "The Church of What's Happening Now" and the painful "Numb" begin an appropriate wind-down of the album, when "Where I Belong," a loud, fast-paced, jazzy tune with belted-out lyrics seems to come out of the blue. But that's a good thing (it's a personal favorite). The theatrical "Broken Biscuit" and the down right bizarre, yet oddly addicting "Sea Shells" are included as two bonus tracks. Yet, despite their not being included on the original UK mastering, they do not disrupt the flow of the record Included after "Sea Shells" are two remixes of "Breathe Me" that aren't great and really do not fit. I would rather the b-sides "Lucky" and "So Bored" be included in their place. "Colour..." is one of my favorite albums, and in my opinion is Sia's strongest release. Needless to say, I highly recommend it. Expand
  2. Dec 22, 2014
    Absolutely brilliant and original. This is one of her best,I totally recommend the bonus tracks: Broken Biscuit and Seashells they're unique and very smart by captivating all the attention to whoever listens them!!!
  3. jong
    Apr 16, 2006
    A beautiful stab stab in the heart of the emotional. A warm comforting blanket of words and sounds that wrap you up and hold you in their arms like a vulnerable child.
  4. Matt
    Jan 20, 2006
    Sounded great at first, but the more I heard, the more she sounds like other soft rock, electronic, and alternative artists out there. It's been done better. "Breathe Me" and only a couple other songs really gel with the mix of sounds.
  5. AlanR
    Jan 20, 2006
    Beautiful.
  6. George
    Jan 29, 2006
    Easy to listen to but not a brilliant album, the production was disappointing with the tracks often disjointed and overall contour not clear. Breathe Me is definitely the standout track.
  7. AnttiM
    Feb 15, 2006
    Could easilly have acchieved the maximum points if the production would have been thicker and more dense. The skilfully composed and performed pieces of music pass somewhat unnoticed due to the weaknesses of the producer.
  8. Sep 22, 2010
    The song "Breathe Me" made me cry..Truly it did. Sia's voice is so soft and melodic and the arrangement of the album is stunning.. I am surprised that more people have heard of SIa. I was astonished when I heard the album and would not change a thing of it...Perfect album
  9. Nov 19, 2013
    Whoa! I can only say that this album is simply amazing. Sia sounds very seductive and intriguing on "Numb" and "Breathe Me". And I can't even comprehend how one person can have as much talent as she does. What I can't comprehend even more is how is she not more popular?
  10. Oct 14, 2014
    One of Sia's best albums. Beautiful instrumentals, and some thoughtful and occasionally moving lyrics. I can really relate to the message Sia is sending out on this album. Favorite track: Breathe Me

1. Sia's songs are quiet, intimate and melodic. [21 Jan 2006]
  2. Rather than mimicking and rehashing "Simple Things", she's found a warmth and depth of feeling that makes "Colour The Small One" the logical progression.
    An album that is as lovely as it is seductive.