Folie A Deux

• Release Date: Dec 16, 2008
8.1

Review this album

1. Aug 4, 2016
    I went into this album having had already heard “I Don't Care“ “20 Dollar Nosebleed“ and “West Coast Smoker“ and I thought they were all pretty great. So one day, I decided to listen to the rest of the album. And it's pretty amazing.

The opening track “Disloyal Order of Water Buffaloes“ is good, but not the kind of thing that you would remember for a very long time. The third track “She‘s My Winona“ on the other hand is a great song, the kind of song that you wish had gotten big but didn't even get released as a single (at least that's how I feel), and there're quite a few of these songs on the album (”20 Dollar Nosebleed”, ”West Coast Smoker”, ”w.a.m.s”).

”America's Suitehearts” is pretty much exactly what you would expect from a Fall Out Boy single not mainstream enough to crack the top 20 on Billboard. But that doesn't mean the song is bad, in fact, the entire album is consistently good, with the occasional even better song to break up the monotony of ”almost” great songs.

Also, something that surprised me was that even the quieter songs that in most other cases would bore me for their lack of intensity (for lack of a better word) like ”The (Shipped) Gold Standard” and ”What a Catch, Donnie” still kept me entertained. Unfortunately, there is one song that fell into this category that I don't think did as well of a job of keeping me invested. This song would be ”27” Which I still wouldn't call a bad song, I just feel like the instrumentals lacked the volume it needed to stand out.

The only song I would say I didn't like would be ”Headfirst Slide Into Cooperstown On a Bad Bet” mainly because the vocals (and instrumentals for that matter) seem to go everywhere without any transitions to those places, so the song just feels like a bunch of sections of different songs that were just thrown together.

Overall, this album is pretty fantastic and the fact that none of the songs on it got any sort of mainstream traction is disappointing because there's a lot of songs here that I would have loved to hear without having to seek them out myself (which isn't necessarily that hard nowadays, but that's not the point). If you want a specific suggestion of songs from this album to listen to I would recommend ”20 Dollar Nosebleed”, “She‘s My Winona“, and “(Coffees for Closers)“ But, that doesn't mean you should hesitate from listening to the entire album as a whole because there is a lot to enjoy here and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a new pop rock album to listen to.

EDIT : Since writing my original review every song on the album has grown significantly on me. So I've decided to change my rating from 8/10 to 9/10
  2. Jan 14, 2016
    FaD is probably the pinnacle of all Fall Out Boys albums. It really doesn't deserve the hate it received. Tracks like Headfirst Slide or Disloyal Order are unforgettable.
  3. Dec 26, 2015
    De longe um dos melhores álbuns de FOB. As letras são maravilhosas, os instrumentos foram usados de forma precisa e o vocal do Patrick está divino. Há algumas pequenas falhas, mas isso não tira a excelência do álbum.

Pontos altos: w.a.m.s., Headfirst Slide Into Cooperstown On a Bad Bet, (Coffee's for Closers) Pontos baixos: Disloyal Order of Water Buffaloes, Tiffany Blews, The

Pontos baixos: Disloyal Order of Water Buffaloes, Tiffany Blews, The (Shipped) Gold Standard
  4. Dec 15, 2015
    This album is one of the most underrated and unappreciated albums of all time. Vocals are great, songs are the best and it also contains a collab with Panic! at the disco's vocalist Brendan Urie which sounded very good. They need to make more album like this!
  5. Mar 7, 2015
    Definitely one of my favorite albums by Fall Out Boy. The band transitioned well from their comparatively hardcore punk albums to this album, which one would have trouble classifying. Hits such as the edgy I Don't Care and the slow and sad What a Catch, Donnie are great. But the lesser-known songs, like Disloyal Order of Water Buffaloes and (Coffee's for Closers) are my personal favorites.Definitely one of my favorite albums by Fall Out Boy. The band transitioned well from their comparatively hardcore punk albums to this album, which one would have trouble classifying. Hits such as the edgy I Don't Care and the slow and sad What a Catch, Donnie are great. But the lesser-known songs, like Disloyal Order of Water Buffaloes and (Coffee's for Closers) are my personal favorites. They (along with most of the other songs) have a good sound, with catchy, well-written lyrics and quite a bit of emotional depth as well. Expand
  6. Jun 30, 2013
    One of the most underrated pop rock albums ever. It is varied, complex and original at the same time and Patrick Stump proves he is one of the best singers of this generation, if not the best.
  7. Jun 4, 2013
    This album is fun. It's catchy and a good experience for Fall Out Boy. Funky songs ("She's My Winona") find their place next to deep songs ("What a Catch, Donnie") and Hard-rocking tracks ("I Don't Care"). But the highlights here are some unknown tracks: "(Coffee's for Closers)" and "The (Shipped) Gold Standard". But all of them are worth checking out, like "Tiffany Blews" and "20 DollarThis album is fun. It's catchy and a good experience for Fall Out Boy. Funky songs ("She's My Winona") find their place next to deep songs ("What a Catch, Donnie") and Hard-rocking tracks ("I Don't Care"). But the highlights here are some unknown tracks: "(Coffee's for Closers)" and "The (Shipped) Gold Standard". But all of them are worth checking out, like "Tiffany Blews" and "20 Dollar Nose Bleed", collaborations with Lil Wayne and Panic! at the Disco's Brendon Urie, respectively. Probably their 2nd best album, only losing to "Save Rock and Roll". Expand
  8. Oct 30, 2012
    My favourite album of all time. They incorporate every positive influence in their arsenal and combine them all with sublime effect. Sure, they
  9. Oct 11, 2012
    It's nice, but not really special. Most of the songs are not rememberable and the lyrics got perceptibly more pop-like than on their predecessors. Not much meaning, not really funny. It's okay, but nothing big. I was disappointed with this release of theirs. Still I like their music style!
  10. Apr 17, 2012
    The one thing I do not get about this album, the song titles have nothing to do with the songs, the songs make no sense whatsoever apart from 2-3 (american suiteharts, She's My Winona, I Don't Care) I really expected more from fall out boy.
  11. Mar 19, 2012
    A very underrated album. It is more sophisticated than its predecessors and incorporates a wide variety of instruments and styles. It has clever, interesting lyrics and Stump's vocals seem to have improved over time. I love it.
  12. abbiep
    Aug 17, 2009
    I don't like folie a deux, cause it has become main stream! I also don't like it cause it isn't emo any more and some songs sound like Christmas carols, i was really sad when the album came out because i thought it would be even better than infinity on high, but it wasn't. I am a really big fan of fall out boy, i just hope the next album is like infinity on high!
  13. JakeH
    Jul 9, 2009
    I was worried when they cranked another album out so quickly after Infinity On High, but it for sure beats out that album. I got this CD 7 months ago and I've never gotten tired of it.
  14. DestinieS
    May 25, 2009
    Omg, this was such a good album,i LOVE fall out boy, especially Patrick Stump.
  15. SuleimanM.
    May 18, 2009
    For the most part, Fall Out Boy Manages to create an enjoyable album.
  16. Sophie
    Apr 3, 2009
    Absolutely incredible album i love it not one song i dont like incredible. amazing. top class.
  17. EmilioV
    Mar 6, 2009
    All FOB music is extremely boring and this cd is not the exception.
  18. Ricki
    Feb 17, 2009
    This is a very disappointing effort from the FOB gang for any of there long standing fans losing all remnants of there original sound as heard on take this to your grave and from under the cork tree. This album is for the mainstream and all about making them money.
  19. JohnG.
    Feb 14, 2009
    Best FOB album ever. Very good background music.
  20. wills.
    Jan 6, 2009
    It was good but it wasnt as hard as their previous albums.
  21. KurtH
    Jan 5, 2009
    By far the best FOB album to date. The are unstoppable.
  22. JamesR
    Jan 4, 2009
    This is up with some of the best albums I have listened to. It has variety whilst still being good from start to finish.
  23. ChristianV
    Jan 3, 2009
    The cd is absolutely great!!! The songs are great and greater every time i listen to the cd... i just cant get enough.. these guys really shoulve have done a cd/dvd special edition at launch time... but. well, all always its gonna be a year after the launch but its ok. the cd is awesome!! Great job from FOB!!!
  24. AnonymousMC
    Dec 31, 2008
    I was really pleased with this album. It was quite amazing
  25. Katie
    Dec 26, 2008
    A brilliant album which can be relistened endlessly.
  26. DaanK
    Dec 25, 2008
    It's a great album. Good pop/punk i think the best of fall out boy. Mega great songs You sing this way that is everything. They dare also new dingne such as:strings & piano It's simple music but all so good!
  27. DanielM
    Dec 19, 2008
    If I could give 6.5 I would, but I'll give them a little lee-way. I like this album, and have listened to it a few times, great pop rock, but just not as good as Infinity on High or their other previous albums. However, they do show much growth in songwriting (while not being as catchy, though that's not the end all be all of songwriting), Patrick's vocal work and variety, If I could give 6.5 I would, but I'll give them a little lee-way. I like this album, and have listened to it a few times, great pop rock, but just not as good as Infinity on High or their other previous albums. However, they do show much growth in songwriting (while not being as catchy, though that's not the end all be all of songwriting), Patrick's vocal work and variety, and general tightness. This album seems to be a shorter, soul/R&B-influenced version of From Under the Cork Tree. I look forward to the next album. Expand
  28. DaveC
    Dec 19, 2008
    Dissapointment. Waited so long for this album.
  29. MattF
    Dec 18, 2008
    There is not a bad song on this cd, and none of it feels like it was meant to be filler, which I've come to expect from Fall Out Boy. What I didn't expect was for some of the songs to be downright Beatles-esque (What a Catch, Donnie; America's Suitehearts). This is a rock-solid performance from Fall Out Boy, not sublime but definitely not underwhelming.
  30. BennyJ
    Dec 16, 2008
    These guys are innovators in a genre where there are so many impostors... and not afraid to change.
  31. KarlJ.
    Dec 16, 2008
    Definitely one of dare best albums!!some instant classics and definitely no filler!! more duets wit panic!in future please!!

1. While Folie A Deux at times feels like the band are showing off the contents of their Rolodex, the album's standouts are so good that they will undoubtedly become standards for the band's live shows for years to come.
    This is the brightest, breeziest, giddiest record Fall Out Boy have ever made.
  3. The band have responded with their most stylistically hatstand-but-indisputably-best songs yet.