Manners - Passion Pit
8.7

Review this album

1. Feb 23, 2011
    Passion Pit's debut album Manners is a wonderful little album. Every song sounds great. It's just so different from the mainstream stuff they have today. The drumming is also something that sounds great. The singer's voice sounds a little too high but All In All, Manners has great tracks and it's a great sound. B+
  2. Jan 7, 2011
    Amazing drum lines, especially in the song "Little Secrets". Overall it's an awesome album. However, I do feel like the singer over strains his voice a little. Very catchy beats and great use of electronics though. A solid listen for anyone looking for happy, energetic music.
  3. Jul 14, 2011
    This will dig its way into your brain, featuring some of the hookiest synth-rock I've ever heard. Passion Pit's use of a real, live drummer instead of programmed beats adds a great layer to the sound and makes it more human and listenable. The layered synths perfectly complement the sky-high falsetto vocals to give the listener a feeling that everything, at least for the moment, is going to be OK. If it wasn't for the over-use of children's choir backing vocals, I'd rate this even higher. Expand
  4. Sep 10, 2011
    Passion Pit shows their astounding amount of musical creativity in their debut studio release MANNERS, as well as their ability to sing very high notes. I loved this music so much that I went to see them in concert.
  5. Jul 13, 2012
    The lyrics are deep, the melodies are catchy, and the synth rock arrangements are fully thought out and beautiful. A perfect album? No, but it's damn close. Just to nitpick: if they had eased off using the children's choir backing vocals so often, this would be a 9 out of 10.
  6. Nov 17, 2013
    Manners is much more than a bland electro-pop indie scene hype-fest, it is an extremely well-done and addicting album which delivers on all levels. Tasteful and fun electronica, interwoven instrumental recordings, and highly entrancing falsetto vocals all go into making this a highly thematic and enjoyable album. It rarely offers a dull moment, keeping emotions and energy high, while still ignoring empty over-popped indie hits with interesting song structure and true substance that goes past normal expectations. I've listened to this album for a long time, and it constantly maintains its position as my favorite album, a true work of art which is filled with musical expertise that you can hardly find anywhere else. I highly recommend this album. Expand

1. I could go song by song and come to the same conclusion with pretty much each one: the dedication to this carefree whimsy of youth ultimately stands as the most impressive thing about Passion Pit, and it wears thin quickly.
  2. Refreshingly free of pretensions and convolutions it's full of well-written songs with melody and fun at its big heart.
    Poptimist Michael Angelakos tried to hold onto his girlfriend with Passion Pit's first EP. That didn't work (blame the self-obsessed lyrics), but on his band's debut full-length, their squeaky indie-pop theatrics are more convincing.