Merriweather Post Pavilion - Animal Collective
8.4

Review this album

1. Oct 8, 2013
    [4.9] Animal Collective may be agreeably unique and energetic but possibly the only thing that would give me a worse headache than listening to this album would be staring at the album artwork for an hour. This album is just repetitive noise, and that seems to be it. The vocals are extremely uneven, and I might not be able to identify a single instrument being used on this record. I have no problem with synthesizers, with computers, with keyboards, hell even with robots (Daft Punk of course), but at least make your electronic music with some melody. I can't identify a rhythm, a beat, or even words. Sure it's new, sure it hasn't been done before, but can something with such little structural significance be innovative? Expand
  2. Mar 8, 2012
    Am I the only one who thinks their songs' melodies sound all same? Aside from the trying-really-hard diverse and supposedly creative production, I find their music incredibly boring.
  3. Sep 2, 2011
    This band can hit a groove and go off on an incredible tangent and bring it home BUT you have to weed through so many songs to find any coheasiveness and it can become mundane and distorted to listen to sectoraly
  4. May 25, 2011
    I have tried and tried again with this album and have come to the opinion that it just isn't very good. I bought this following the copious 10/10 or 5star reviews it received in the music press, but it's... dull. It only gets 4 because of the fantastic 'My Girls'. Download that track separately and save yourself the time I wasted.

By far the most streamlined and purposeful Animal Collective record. [Jan 2008, p.98]
    In years past, Animal Collective have been cast as perpetual Peter Pans, forever stuck in childhood fantasias. But beneath the body-moving throbs and coruscating noises of Merriweather Post Pavilion, themes of domestic duty and devotion abound.
    It feels like one of the landmark American albums of the century so far. [Jan 2008, p.86]