• Record Label: Capitol
6.2

Review this album

1. SteveO
    Jul 10, 2008
    Just proof that this world is spiralling uncontrollably down the drain.
  2. ally
    Dec 25, 2008
    I really liked this album, and it's fun to listen to. Just goes to show that music is subjective.
  3. RicardoC
    Jul 25, 2009
    Everything is wrong here. The concept, the music. Catchy enough to listen to it once or twice. And yes, she's got some style, but ultimately, she's an empty marketing product.
  4. Aug 26, 2013
    It's good. Not the best album of 2008, but it's definitely close. The only bad thing on the album is some of the songs would be better for other singers.
  5. MarieO
    May 23, 2009
    My favorite album of 2008 and still waiting for another one that will match the quality and number of great songs that are on "One of the boys". I can't understand the hate against Katy Perry who is a deserving artist... from a christian family, to church singer, waitress in LA, almost broke, to finally making it to the top because of her great music and songs. She's my hero! My favorite album of 2008 and still waiting for another one that will match the quality and number of great songs that are on "One of the boys". I can't understand the hate against Katy Perry who is a deserving artist... from a christian family, to church singer, waitress in LA, almost broke, to finally making it to the top because of her great music and songs. She's my hero! Her story is very touching. Expand
  6. ChueW
    Jun 27, 2009
    I thought it was great, even though I'm not really into this kinda music. I think some songs aren't that good but its a good album.
  7. Mar 25, 2012
    Good album! Funny and simply! Love the way she sings with a guitar........... I prefer "Teenage Dream" but this is good, too. ( sorry for my English )
  8. Nov 12, 2012
    Rather than being hot and cold, Katy Perry's One of the Boys is just cold.
  9. CharlieM.
    Sep 3, 2008
    This album sux. Her vocals are bad and just shows people don't have talent anymore. Aimee, plz ok Seriously, people like you no offense just want some catchy song that just fulfills the moment, when there are so many better artists that never see the light of day. Such a disgrace.
  10. Oct 13, 2011
    Simply amazing. This is the real Katy Perry! Well she still can't sing that well, and she's quite terrible live - but this album represents her. Not purely commercial Teenage Dream.
  11. Mar 24, 2013
    One Of The Best Debut's In Along Time!
  12. Aug 26, 2014
    Desafinar, se escorar no Dr. Luke, pagar jabá, plagiar, comprar composições da Bonnie McKee e ser falsa, são os grandes talentos da pseudo cantora Katy Perry. Ainda foi pouco. Ur So Gay é a única faixa que presta e é totalmente esquecível, depois de ouvir 10 vezes você cansa. Este segundo álbum dela não trás nada de novo e de relevante para o mundo da música. Katy Hudson fracasso de todasDesafinar, se escorar no Dr. Luke, pagar jabá, plagiar, comprar composições da Bonnie McKee e ser falsa, são os grandes talentos da pseudo cantora Katy Perry. Ainda foi pouco. Ur So Gay é a única faixa que presta e é totalmente esquecível, depois de ouvir 10 vezes você cansa. Este segundo álbum dela não trás nada de novo e de relevante para o mundo da música. Katy Hudson fracasso de todas as formas e One Of The Boys seguiu o mesmo caminho. Do que adianta ter muitos #1's se a própria não consegue cantar nenhum? Expand
  13. AimeeC.
    Jul 9, 2008
    OMG. I don't know why people hate. This is a great album to listen to while you're on a long roadtrip with your girlfriends! Katy Perry's lyrics are funny, witty, and easy to sing to. I recommend this to anyone who has a sense of humor and likes to have fun.
  14. EmmaO
    Apr 20, 2009
    the reason people hate katy perry is because she has controversial lyrics, but actually she is very talented and a good singer/songwriter. anyways this album is great and not one song is a throwaway.
  15. SpencerC
    Oct 15, 2008
    I Kissed a Girl and Hot 'n' Cold are both amazing songs, but the rest of the album is torture. To pour salt in the wound, a few of the other songs have potential but are performed horribly.
  16. MattD.
    Jul 1, 2008
    The negative reviews make no sense, and it seems like they were pre-disposed to bash the album. For instance, no where does Katy sound remotely like Regina Spektor! It's a fun, refreshing album that offers unique viewpoints and very good hooks. Her voice is also very distinctive.
  17. DaveJ
    Sep 15, 2008
    there is no originality to this album whatsoever. it's part The Used, part Regina Spektor, part Kelly Clarkson to name just a few. completely superficial, basic songwriting for those who like easy listening, even though most of the melodies are awkward. in my opinion it completely patronises the listener.
  18. benh
    Sep 4, 2008
    A strong collection of witty and creative tunes. One of the strongest albums that 2008 has to offer.
  19. JoshuaM.
    Oct 5, 2009
    It's a good album with some good singles on it. Come one. All you guys can't say that "Hot N Cold" went through your heads at least once! My favorite song is "Fingerprints".
  20. ShauniL.
    Jul 19, 2008
    Screeching, Insincere. More gloss than substance. Incredibly disappointing artist. As for potential listeners, you're better off listening to early Liz Phair.
  21. JB.
    Aug 15, 2008
    I LOVE this album. The bottom line w/an album should be, "Do I enjoy it and can I listen to it over and over?" This album is catchy, easy to listen to repeatedly and fills both requisites above completely. Can't understand the low marks.
  22. MarkF
    Jan 1, 2009
    As with most albums I like, there are some songs I think are utterly awful on this album. On the other hand, Katy's voice grows on you. The first time I heard Hot N Cold, I hated it because her voice sounded creepy. I grew to like her voice and songs because, unlike most people in the industry (looking at you Brit, as much as I like you), she can write and has a unique voice.
  23. PauloC
    Jan 23, 2009
    Nice songs and beats! There's a lot of potential hits.
  24. ColeT
    Jan 5, 2009
    Terrible, media-based album. Crap.
  25. JamesH.
    Jun 15, 2009
    The primary problem with Katy Perry is that her voice is very thin and lacks anything vaguely called "range". Beyond that, the songs are calculated pop-trash pieces that come off as derivative and boring, leading to a truly awful experience from the first song onwards.
  26. FraserM
    Nov 29, 2008
    katy has produced a awesome album which exudes creativity and freshness. Her vocals are so amazing and enticing possessing an ecelectic range and new sound. This is a great debut album and she is already reaping the awards for it. Looks like she'll be arfound for a while...look out for her, BIG i tell ya!
  27. WesM.
    Jun 21, 2008
    Pedestrian effort; even the three tracks actually possessing tunes and lyrics distinguishable from the 13 tracks offered are indistinguishable from the wealth of LCD pop currently out. Don't get drawn in by the promise of her LGBT-themed hit and titular track; this is a concerted, transparent effort to bait and switch unsuspecting consumers.
  28. Devin
    Sep 15, 2008
    Brainless and talentless. Homogenized, cloying tunes set to some of the most obnoxious lyrics ever committed to record. People giving this album a ten "can't understand the negative reviews?" What I can't understand is how anyone, even a preteen, could possibly consider candy-coated trash like this art.
  29. RichardH
    Feb 22, 2009
    Very catchy album, I don't understand the negative reviews. I love it!
  30. StephaneC
    May 23, 2009
    Excellent album... from a talented young lady. The first time I buy something for ages. It goes from rock to pop to ballads with her raw and strong voice, which is full of energy. Don't miss this fun and entertaining album and artist.
  31. Aug 22, 2010
    I expected something better from katy cuz i really liked her singles but the new songs are too slow and a bit boring,too. In a week her new album will be released ... let's hope 4 something more lively!!!
  32. May 24, 2011
    The songs are decent enough - Though there all a bit samey with only a few standing out. Katy Perry has the attitude, looks and charisma to pull it off - She just needs to music now.
  33. Jun 15, 2012
    Not as so powerful as 'Teenage Dream', the album still manages to have its pack punches with hits including 'I Kissed a Girl', 'Hot n Cold' and 'Waking Up in Vegas'. And the whole atmosphere of fashion and style in this album is fine, its just the lyrics and vocal style in some songs (for example 'Fingerprints') manage to be abit off. Overall, 'One Of the Boys' is a good teen record to have.
  34. Nov 27, 2010
    I love the album's concept, the classic rock feel. I love how Katy Perry solely writes her song like "Thinking of You", "One of the Boys" and "Mannequin." I also love her singles which are danceable and fun. But some songs are same sounding and kinda boring. But at least, I see the artistic value in the album.
  35. Dec 1, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This first album of Katy Perry has everything that a reader of Billboard Magazine wanted and hoped. But it stops here. The huge and classical hits "I Kissed a Girl" and "Hot N' Cold" are there to make you think a lot when you wish to throw out this CD, besides "Waking Up In Vegas" that can be considered the best produced song here. You will enjoy yourself with "U R So Gay" another song that can save this album and get involved with the sweet "Lost" that might deceive you with Perry's screams that surely is the climax of the song. But the reasons to buy it finish here. "One of The Boys", "Mannequin" and "If You Can Afford Me" are hearable music and it is the maximum adjective that I can give to them. You won't need to listen to the last three songs because you will think you wasted your money. Expand
  36. Feb 28, 2011
    Katy Perry Is One Of The Best Artists For Young Adults Because Of Her Style Of Singing.. This Album Features 11 Of Her Best Songs, Including Waking Up In Vegas, Hot N Cold, One Of The Boys, And Others...
    This Album Show's Her Creative Side Of Singing, And Experience In The Music World...
    This CD Would Be Great For A Katy Perry Fan!
  37. Jul 23, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. One of The Boys is not a ordinary album.Is original,stronger and fun.One Of The Boys it's the perfect started.I Kissed a Girl it's the best song of the album.Waking Up In Vegas is good but not enough.Thinking Of U is the best ever ballad i hear.Mannequin it;s stronger and contagious.Ur So Gay is A Guilty Pleasure.You don't stop to listen the song cuz u sing:Ur so gay but you don't like the boys.Hot N Cold it's cool and fresh but not so original.A mix between I Kissed A Girl and Ur So Gay.If U Can Afford Me:One of the best song.Lost a perfect ballad but not good position in the track list.Self Inflicted:It's a normal song i can't remember nothing about the lyrics or instrumental after ten listen.I'm Still Breathing A Perfect Ballad.Fingerprints:Fun and contagious.Conclusion:Super Cd Expand
  38. Nov 11, 2013
    LGBT-offenders I Kissed a Girl and Ur So Gay might have promised an album that may at least be musically catchy, ONE OF THE BOYS Strives so hard to be good controversial pop, but it winds down to a forgettable set of songs.
  39. May 26, 2011
    While "Hot & Cold" and "I Kissed a Girl" are excellent tracks, most of the other songs are average. Her second LP, Teenage Dream, is much more enjoyable.
  40. Jul 22, 2011
    From "One Of The Boys" to "Fingerprint" to the bonus tracks like "I Think I'm Ready", "Cup Of Coffee", "Electric Feel", and "Black & Gold" every track on this album is flawless. I really like the billboard review. At that time it had been a minute since an album was full of so many potential hits. I honestly had to pick my jaw off the ground when i saw the low 6.0 user rating on here!
  41. Aug 12, 2011
    I'd recommend it, but it's your choice. Katy Perry, with this album, creates a solid start to the beginning of her career--at least breaking away from Christian rock music. There are only a few songs, on the other hand, that you actually need on ONE OF THE BOYS, which are "I Kissed a Girl", "Waking Up in Vegas", and "Hot N Cold".
  42. Nov 21, 2012
    The only thing anyone should listen to an album like this for is escape, which the music of Katy Perry's debut provides with some catchy pop bass lines and a contagious enthusiastic spirit, but the lyrics are so rooted in frustration that it's hard to grab on. But as individual songs, guess what? Not bad. Not bad at all, Miss Perry.
  43. Sep 30, 2012
    One of the Boys is a decent debut album filled with catchy pop tunes and some addictive songs, though the songs really heavily on mainstream cliches and lack creativity. Overall, Over of the Boys is a fun pop album for people who are fans of today's mainstream music.
  44. May 25, 2012
    I've decided to lower my rating a bit for this album. I still think it's enjoyable and fun, and it's refreshing to listen to pop music that isn't the same kind of electronic dance pop that is so common now.
  45. Mar 25, 2012
    "One of the Boys" is Perry's sophomore effort after her horrendous christian debut album "Katy Hudson". This one is clearly her attempt (and success) into making her a place in the mainstream pop world. "One of the Boys" is an album with character, displaying Perry as a pin-up pop-rock-ish girl that writes her own songs. Back in 2008 she was quite fresh for the pop scene, even if the album"One of the Boys" is Perry's sophomore effort after her horrendous christian debut album "Katy Hudson". This one is clearly her attempt (and success) into making her a place in the mainstream pop world. "One of the Boys" is an album with character, displaying Perry as a pin-up pop-rock-ish girl that writes her own songs. Back in 2008 she was quite fresh for the pop scene, even if the album was not that good. "I Kissed a Girl" and "Hot 'n' Cold" were the obvious hits she needed to achieve success but, even if the album has some other great songs in it, it is quite irregular and unfortunately doesn't maintain it's good level all through. Nonetheless I feel she could've been a great pop-rock artist, if she didn't transform her sound into the extreme bubblegum pop that her next effort ("Teenage Dream") is.

Highlights: Thinking of You, Waking Up in Vegas, Lost, Fingerprints
  46. Mar 27, 2012
    Still my favorite Katy Perry album. It more personal than Teenage Dream, and has an rock edge to it. I'm still breathing remains my favorite song of all time. I hope to seem more material like this in her upcoming album.
  47. Apr 26, 2012
    Not a huge Katy Perry fan. Her singing isn't anything spectacular, her songs are monotonous, but it's a nice attempt. Not sure why she is so famous, or what the hype about her is all about. Pass.
  48. May 28, 2012
    A Great Debut Album!
    I Think Katy's Real Self Didnt Seem To Shine In This Album Sadly Though... Still A Breathtaking Album..
    I Dont Like That Some Song's Were Seen As "Rock"
    Still Amazing!
    Giving This Album Above A 8 Would Be Too Nice!
  49. Mar 31, 2013
    Great album really shows Katys lyricall and vocal talent. From One Of The Boys to Fingerprints the album is very catchy and enjoyable. Listen to it with an open mind and you'll love it. The genre is more rock/pop than anything. The lead single was a great choice to attract and audience so with the other singles. The albm highlights are definatly If You Can Afford Me, Hot n' Cold andGreat album really shows Katys lyricall and vocal talent. From One Of The Boys to Fingerprints the album is very catchy and enjoyable. Listen to it with an open mind and you'll love it. The genre is more rock/pop than anything. The lead single was a great choice to attract and audience so with the other singles. The albm highlights are definatly If You Can Afford Me, Hot n' Cold and Thinking Of You. I really love Mannequin, Lost, I Kissed A Girl, Lost and Fingerprints to. Overall a enjoyable, amazing album and i give it a 9/10 and i would advise you to buy it now! but if you haven't heard some songs from it yet, listen to it first its really not for everyone, Enjoy! Expand
  50. Oct 22, 2012
    A good exception to all the other stupid pop stuff on the radio! Katy Perry has got a really nice voice and the sound is much more rocking than the usual (also you probably won't expect when you only heard the songs that got airplay). But there are many mistakes: She really overdoes the high- and low-singing and some songs aren't even catchy after hearing them three times. But still theA good exception to all the other stupid pop stuff on the radio! Katy Perry has got a really nice voice and the sound is much more rocking than the usual (also you probably won't expect when you only heard the songs that got airplay). But there are many mistakes: She really overdoes the high- and low-singing and some songs aren't even catchy after hearing them three times. But still the album is a well-made and diversified Pop CD. Expand
  51. Mar 24, 2013
    Katy Perry did fairly well on her debut album as a pop artist. Tracks "I Kissed A Girl" and "Waking Up In Vegas" are home runs.
  52. Aug 26, 2013
    An unfortunately underrated pop album, Perry's One of the Boys features some of the freshest, best-written pop/rock songs of the late 2000s. Borrowing from P!nk, Avril Lavigne, and even The Beach Boys, Katy's mainstream debut is a All-American, All-Californian, even at times retro-sounding record that features powerful vocals from Perry and appealing, suburban high-school, girl-next-door,An unfortunately underrated pop album, Perry's One of the Boys features some of the freshest, best-written pop/rock songs of the late 2000s. Borrowing from P!nk, Avril Lavigne, and even The Beach Boys, Katy's mainstream debut is a All-American, All-Californian, even at times retro-sounding record that features powerful vocals from Perry and appealing, suburban high-school, girl-next-door, tom-boy anthems that are both catchy and exceptionally written. Highlights include "One of the Boys," "Waking Up in Vegas," "Thinking of You," "Mannequin," "If You Can Afford Me," and "Fingerprints." Expand
  53. Aug 26, 2014
    Great pop-rock debut album. Favorite songs: Lost, Im Still Breathing, If You Can Afford Me
  54. Oct 13, 2013
    Buen álbum, este estilo enfocándose al Rock era la verdadera esencia de Perry, no se porque cambio tanto en su segundo album, los sonidos que maneja One Of The Boys son realmente buenos.
  55. Oct 17, 2013
    This is the worst album of Katy, but does not make it bad, not nearly. We have songs really tiring, but I Kissed A Girl, Hot N Cold, Thinking Of You and Waking Up In Vegas are classic and even in his first album, the best pop hitmaker managed to stick her name in the history of music.
  56. Jan 3, 2014
    It's a very cheerful album, most of her songs are fresh and well-developed lyric. Surely her voice is not a strong point but she tried to supplement it with the harmony of rhythm and lyrics. Most recommended songs are "I Kissed A Girl", "Waking Up In Vegas", "Thinking Of You" and "Hot N Cold".
  57. Jun 20, 2014
    Um ótimo album,pop o suficiente,criativo e divertido e sarcástico.
    Ainda é e pelo jeito sempre será o melhor trabalho da Katy "nada princesa ou rainha" Perry.
  58. Sep 23, 2014
    This is my favourite album by Katy, but I think she can do way better than this. My favourite songs by her are unreleased gems like Wish You The Worst, Simple, Diamond. It's such a shame that she had to repress her artistry to pursue commercial success.
  59. Dec 5, 2014
    I'm sure if critics heard this album in 2014 rather than 2008, it would be praised a lot more. The LGBT aspect of "kissing girls" turned off most critics back then. However, now that we have progressed this album would be considered outstanding. In 2008 the album was subject to bias, which was completely unfair because this is a FLAWLESS album. Perfect mixture of catchy pop tunes, andI'm sure if critics heard this album in 2014 rather than 2008, it would be praised a lot more. The LGBT aspect of "kissing girls" turned off most critics back then. However, now that we have progressed this album would be considered outstanding. In 2008 the album was subject to bias, which was completely unfair because this is a FLAWLESS album. Perfect mixture of catchy pop tunes, and powerful ballads that speak to your soul. Expand
  60. Dec 16, 2014
    One of The Boys is not a ordinary album.Is original,stronger and fun.One Of The Boys it's the perfect started.I Kissed a Girl it's the best song of the album.Waking Up In Vegas is good but not enough.Thinking Of U is the best ever ballad i hear.Mannequin it;s stronger and contagious.Ur So Gay is A Guilty Pleasure.You don't stop to listen the song cuz u sing:Ur so gay but you don't like theOne of The Boys is not a ordinary album.Is original,stronger and fun.One Of The Boys it's the perfect started.I Kissed a Girl it's the best song of the album.Waking Up In Vegas is good but not enough.Thinking Of U is the best ever ballad i hear.Mannequin it;s stronger and contagious.Ur So Gay is A Guilty Pleasure.You don't stop to listen the song cuz u sing:Ur so gay but you don't like the boys.Hot N Cold it's cool and fresh but not so original.A mix between I Kissed A Girl and Ur So Gay.If U Can Afford Me:One of the best song.Lost a perfect ballad but not good position in the track list.Self Inflicted:It's a normal song i can't remember nothing about the lyrics or instrumental after ten listen.I'm Still Breathing A Perfect Expand
  61. Jan 25, 2015
    Its one of the best's 2008 albums BUT "Ur so gay" ITS THE WORST MUSIC OF KATY EVER! I prefer Teenage Dream and Prism. This album is good, but have others 2008 albums best.
  62. Feb 28, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. so the album in general was average , but the fact that Hot N 'Cold him, made ​​the album had a quality boost, katy is an amazing artist and I love it Expand
  63. Mar 18, 2015
    Track by track review:
    1. One of the Boys 10/10
    2. I Kissed a Girl 10/10 3. Waking Up in Vegas 9.5/10 4. Thinking of You 2/10 5. Mannequin 9/10 6. Ur So Gay 2/10 7. Hot n Cold 10/10 8. If You Can Afford Me 10/10 9. Lost 5.5/10 10. Self Inflicted 8/10 11. I'm Still Breathing 5/10 12. Fingerprints 10/10 Highlights: If You Can Afford Me, Fingerprints, One of the Boys, Hot n
    Track by track review:
    9. Lost 5.5/10
    10. Self Inflicted 8/10
    11. I'm Still Breathing 5/10
    12. Fingerprints 10/10

Highlights: If You Can Afford Me, Fingerprints, One of the Boys, Hot n Cold, I Kissed a Girl.
    Potential singles: One of the Boys, I Kissed a Girl, If You Can Afford Me, Hot n Cold
  64. Mar 21, 2015
    Ótimo álbum, que nos anima de uma forma sensacional e nos deixa relaxados e calmos logo em seguida. Exemplos são Hot n Cold e Black and Gold, respectivamente.
  65. Apr 5, 2015
    Melhor trabalho da Katy ele é incrível, adorei pop/rock nela encachou bem com seu timbre, liricamente é de longe o melhor álbum da mesma, Lost e TOY melhores musicas.
  66. Apr 7, 2015
    As canções deste álbum podem relaxar e entreter o ouvinte, talvez não deva modificar a realidade na imaginação do ouvinte, mas as canções podem trazer benefícios nesta realidade que está sendo imaginada, que pode ser raciocinada pelo ouvinte, e ao mesmo tempo relaxa o ouvinte.
  67. May 3, 2015
    De fato, o melhor álbum de Katy Perry até o momento. É um bom álbum e "prazeroso" de se ouvir, principalmente músicas como: Thinking Of You, Lost, I Kissed A Girl, Ur So Gay e One Of The Boys.

1. The problem is not with Katy's gender-bending, it's that her heart isn't in it; she's just using it to get her places, so she sinks to crass, craven depths that turn One of the Boys into a grotesque emblem of all the wretched excesses of this decade.
  2. Yes, Perry has a heart, but it sounds like her bustier's too tight for her to use it.
  3. 'Mannequin' features some cleverly written lyrics, but Perry doesn't possess the grit or vocal prowess to follow through, and the title track is like No Doubt's 'Just a Girl' sans personality and conviction.