Ram [Deluxe Edition] - Paul & Linda McCartney
8.3

Review this album

1. Aug 1, 2012
    I wasn't a big fan of any of the Beatles when they broke up. Later, especially after John died, I started going into their solo works, and after listening to John's work after the Beatles, I started getting into George's work, and now Paul's. The first two re-issues "Band on the Run," and now "Ram" have left me so amazed that Paul released such good music right after the Beatles. ThisI wasn't a big fan of any of the Beatles when they broke up. Later, especially after John died, I started going into their solo works, and after listening to John's work after the Beatles, I started getting into George's work, and now Paul's. The first two re-issues "Band on the Run," and now "Ram" have left me so amazed that Paul released such good music right after the Beatles. This album "Ram" is way up there in the Metacritic charts and deservedly so. It's a classic. I enjoy listening to the newly re-mastered album alone. John said in an interview once that throughout his musical career, he picked Paul and Yoko to work with on his music (at any given time), and that those were very good people to work with. I agree! Expand
  2. Sep 26, 2012
    I thought this album had a few good songs on it but for the most part, this was one of McCartney's weirdest albums. I like it because it's Paul, but it's not my favorite.
  3. Jun 6, 2012
    This is the sound of a man rediscovering his love for life. The joy and exuberance of it all is astounding -- it's music as pure play, the studio as McCartney's sand-box. At every moment he's experimenting with sounds, textures, song structures, words (check out the latter-day nonsense poetry of "Monkberry Moon Delight") and quite literally rediscovering his voice (the great rock vocal ofThis is the sound of a man rediscovering his love for life. The joy and exuberance of it all is astounding -- it's music as pure play, the studio as McCartney's sand-box. At every moment he's experimenting with sounds, textures, song structures, words (check out the latter-day nonsense poetry of "Monkberry Moon Delight") and quite literally rediscovering his voice (the great rock vocal of "Monkberry," the scat singing on "Heart of the Country," the whoops and yelps that one has to go far back in the Beatles catalogue to find the likes of). The weight that had fallen on McCartney's shoulders over the previous few years is well-documented, visible in the Let it Be movie for all to see, written between the lines of Side Two of Abbey Road. Boy, you're going to carry that weight a long time, he'd said. But Ram is the sound of the weight dropping, of McCartney recapturing a spirit he'd last shown on Sgt. Pepper and has been trying recapture again ever since, most recently as The Fireman. We have Linda and the kids to thank for all this, as McCartney clearly knew: witness the four great love songs to Linda, the album art, and the homespun harmony of their voices. Ram is a great document of life, love, and the joys of music, all the better for its timing and for the contrast it makes with the work (just as excellent in its way of course) of Lennon and Harrison at this time. Expand
  4. Oct 18, 2013
    First album I listened of Paul outside of The Beatles and I love it. Quite a few good songs though out such as Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey and Smile Away. It's just a real feel good album and definitely worth checking out.
  5. Oct 30, 2013
    This album was criminally under-appreciated in it's day, because most critics I don't think "got" what Paul was trying to do here. In contrast to Lennon's "important statement" Plastic Ono Band, and Harrison's career defining epic "All things Must Pass", this was just Paul largely recording independently signing songs that superficially didn't appear to be about anything in particular.This album was criminally under-appreciated in it's day, because most critics I don't think "got" what Paul was trying to do here. In contrast to Lennon's "important statement" Plastic Ono Band, and Harrison's career defining epic "All things Must Pass", this was just Paul largely recording independently signing songs that superficially didn't appear to be about anything in particular. How could the writer largely responsible for Abbey Road and Sgt. Peppers release something that didn't make some sort of grand sixties statement?

But that's part of the genius of this album and why it deserves to be in the pantheon of "Greatest former Beatle solo projects". Ram is arguably the first indi-pop album, that doesn't try to be anything more than it is. Paul's musical talents are brilliantly understated on this album, songs like "Ram on" "Dear Boy" and "Back seat of my car" get under your skin without even really trying. The lyrics have some coded (and not so coded) shots at his former bandmates, but they're largely just a celebration of his new life with Linda+ Kids on the farm. In many ways, by not trying to make a "grand post-60's statement", it sounds less dated than some of Lennon's blatant political messages he was releasing around this time. It's a shame this album received the critical backlash that it did when it came out, because Paul reversed course almost immediately and dedicated the rest of this decade and the 80's making music that tried so hard to be liked. It's not really until the late 90's and early 00's that Paul felt comfortable making albums that are comparable to this again.

1. Ram's 2012 reincarnation sounds impeccable. Though the bonus tracks don't pack much punch, the LP's dozen original cuts, crowned by the breakthrough sensation "Uncle Albert / Admiral Halsey," arguably make this LP McCartney's seminal solo effort.
  2. Jul 18, 2012