- Summary: The fourth full-length studio release for the Disney actress/singer is her first as a solo artist and includes contributions from The Cataracs, Desmond Child, Ester Dean, Mike Del Rio, Dreamlab, David Jost, The Monsters and the Strangerz, Rock Mafia, and Stargate.
- Record Label: Hollywood
- Genre(s): Pop, Electronic, Pop/Rock, Teen Pop, Club/Dance, Dubstep
- More Details and Credits »
Jul 22, 2013From the electro-punk opener Birthday onward, she's competent and entirely impersonal. But that's no impediment to enjoying the record, which darts efficiently from EDM to Bollywood to--Beliebers, look away now--sappiness inspired by her on-off boyfriend, Justin Bieber.
Oct 26, 2014Exelente album com musicas otimas o single com mais destaque Come & Get It exelente otimo debut porem nao continuou a venda inicial devido aExelente album com musicas otimas o single com mais destaque Come & Get It exelente otimo debut porem nao continuou a venda inicial devido a falta de divulgação da gravadora… Expand
Apr 15, 2014Great album. She has a really good voice. She really evolved from her Disney songs. Not to mention she is beautiful, she also has a brightGreat album. She has a really good voice. She really evolved from her Disney songs. Not to mention she is beautiful, she also has a bright future ahead of her.… Expand
Jul 23, 2013It is one of the best albums of the year! With good vocals, very catchy tunes and two amazing singles released before hand Selena has reallyIt is one of the best albums of the year! With good vocals, very catchy tunes and two amazing singles released before hand Selena has really outdone herself proving that she is definitely one of the leading pop stars of 2013. The album itself is very diverse, with Like A Champion having a jamaican vibe to it, to Come And Get It with a hindi tune to the dance heavy B.E.A.T and Birthday to the more intimate Love Will Remember and Nobody Does It Like You to hopefully the albums next single Save The Day. The album has a great resemblance to a Shakira or perhaps Rihanna album and is definitely worth the wait!… Expand
Dec 17, 2014A good album to dance and have fun. But overuse of auto tune on some music and she forgot to focus on the quality of the songs, but is good toA good album to dance and have fun. But overuse of auto tune on some music and she forgot to focus on the quality of the songs, but is good to hear.
Highlights: Birthday and Love Will Remember
Lows: Write Your Name and Stars Dance… Expand
Jul 30, 2013OK, its obvious no one here knows how to actually review and album. There either way too happy and fan obsessed or just a complete hater.OK, its obvious no one here knows how to actually review and album. There either way too happy and fan obsessed or just a complete hater. Here's an actual review.
Let me start by saying Selena has a iffy voice nowhere near Demi but nice and sweet to hear unlike Miley.
01) Birthday: An awkward song trying to be sexy while still sounding kiddy (3/5).
02) Slow Down: Danceable, but gets bland after about 15 listens (4/5).
03) Stars Dance: The title track that os both sweet yet heart shopping at the same time. A dubstep influenced song (5/5).
04) Like A Champion: Influenced by Rihanna this Caribbean definitely gets you moving and catchy with the chorus (4/5).
05) Come And Get It: Originally belonging to Rihanna, this Bollywood inspired song is both lyrically and production wise perfect (5/5).
06) Forget Forever: The first song about her relationship with Justin, the song starts off slow and breathy, the moves into a large EDM full on dance hit (5/5).
07) Save The Day: The Jennifer Lopez song that Selena got. The song is good and danceable but might have been a hit if J.Lo song it (4/5).
08) B.E.A.T.: A wannabe Dev song that ultimately feels interesting after a couple of listens. The song isn't really original but makes up with the catchy chorus (3.5/5).
09) Write Your Name: Sweet little song that ultimately ends up being the most forgettable song on the album and is completely understandable (3.2/5).
10) Undercover: The catchy dance track is sure to get your body moving and have you saying "You don't need no other lover we can keep this under cover" all day everyday (5/5).
11) Love Will Remember: Thing only ballad on the CD panned by Rock Mafia this beautiful song is amazing but this new version without the voice feels less personal then the original still amazing with the "Lo-o-oo-ooo-ove" in the chorus (5/5).
12) Nobody Does It Like You: The perfect dance track with beautiful lyrics and a surprising dubstep break down in the chorus (5/5).
13) Music Feels Better: Younger then you'd think but still a good song to listen to of bored (3.5/5).
14) I Like It That Way: The Katy Perry-ish song comes off interesting until the chorus comes in turning the song into an overproduced song (2.7/5).
15) Lover In Me: Just a bit better then the song before, but comes off bland and uninteresting but catchy at the same time (3.6/5)
16) Sad Serenade: This track is not available on the soundtrack or iTunes or Amazon but can be listened to on YouTube. Sad Serenade is a sweet danceable track that could have easily replaced 9, 13-15 (5/5).
All in all this soundtrack is all over the place from good to okay to bad, better then "Kiss & Tell" and "A Year Without Rain" but not as good as "When The Sun Goes Down". Sugared with autotune that with songs like Stars Dance and Undercover it really doesn't matter. The cover art is beautiful. But this album is little more fun then Demi Lovato's "DEMI" but not as deep. She does write about 4-6 songs. All in All 6.5 out of 10. This still so far sounds like the best pop album of the year. Should you get it? Yes if you're younger then 21 you should enjoy, but of you're older only download "Stars Dance, Come & Get It, Forget Forever, Undercover, Nobody Does It Like You, Love Will Remember, Slow Down, and Sad Serenade" if any others then just get "Save The Day, Champion, Music Feels Better, or B.E.A.T.".… Expand
Jul 25, 2013I keep hoping against hope that something valid will come out of the ever-churning child star machine, but every time it seems to be the sameI keep hoping against hope that something valid will come out of the ever-churning child star machine, but every time it seems to be the same formulaic illness, and sorry Selina you've got the fever. As with Britney and the like before her, the production is top notch, but whoever scrounged the dumpster for the song selection was playing it far too safe. Sadly this is another edition of selling a slightly talented pretty face.… Expand
Dec 15, 2014Stars Dance is one of the worst albums I've ever heard in my lifetime. Take the first track for instance. Birthday is an upbeat pop song.Stars Dance is one of the worst albums I've ever heard in my lifetime. Take the first track for instance. Birthday is an upbeat pop song. First of all, Gomez's vocals have been so dramatically altered with auto-tune that it sounds like she's singing in a tin can. And what is that inappropriate moaning in the background? Birthday is an unwelcoming first track for Stars Dance.
Now, there are some decent tracks like Slow Down and Stars Dance, the title track. In fact, Stars Dance is amazing. Come & Get It is a catchy Bollywood song, but the chorus is so repetitive and monotone. And what's the message of the song? "When you're ready come and get it?" That's just...no.
Don't get me started on Like a Champion. That accent she tries to use is horrible. I can't even get through the whole song. There are many boring filler tracks, like Save the Day, Write Your Name, and Forget Forever. Those songs are just a snooze fest. And the worst song of the album...it's B.E.A.T. It's like Selena's TRYING to make the worst song ever made. The chorus is excruciating to listen to. The lyrics are bland and meaningless. It's a sad attempt at a "fun dance track."
Maybe brainwashed fans think that this is a good album, or that "It is one of the best albums of the year!" It is nowhere close to "one of the best pop albums of the years." And it will never reach the status of a Shakira or "perhaps Rihanna album." It's just another generic Hollywood Records pop album "jam" and full of sh*t. I greatly criticize her for the sickening use of auto-tune. This album is almost as bad as Rebecca Black's "Friday." At least Friday wasn't a genuine and serious song. Selena is trying to shove Stars Dance down people's throats, and millions of people detest this album.
If her music career is not over yet, then I wish (in vain) that her next album will be bearable enough to listen to.… Expand
- By user score
|Reality Show - Jazmine Sullivan|
|Innerworld - Electric Youth|
|Absent Sounds - From Indian Lakes|
|Vulnicura - Björk|
|Aquarius - Tinashe|
|I Love You, Honeybear - Father John Misty|
|Tetsuo & Youth - Lupe Fiasco|
|Cadillactica - Big K.R.I.T.|
|Ghost Culture - Ghost Culture|
|Shackles Gift - Zun Zun Egui|
|Sauna - Mount Eerie|
|RTJ2 - Run the Jewels|
|No Cities to Love - Sleater-Kinney|
|Doolittle 25 - Pixies|
|A Flourish and a Spoil - The Districts|
|Cheek to Cheek - Lady Gaga|
|Broke With Expensive Taste - Azealia Banks|
|Under Pressure - Logic|
|Queen of the Clouds - Tove Lo|