8.8

Review this album

1. MarkL.
    Sep 26, 2007
    Yet another gem from one of the best songwriter/guitarists of our time! While RT's voice is, admittedly, an acquired taste, this could also be said of several notable artists(i.e., Dylan, Neil Young, Tom Waits) and after years of listening I actually find his vocalizations quite appealing. While many of the tracks are outstanding, I think the relevance and rawness of "Dad's Yet another gem from one of the best songwriter/guitarists of our time! While RT's voice is, admittedly, an acquired taste, this could also be said of several notable artists(i.e., Dylan, Neil Young, Tom Waits) and after years of listening I actually find his vocalizations quite appealing. While many of the tracks are outstanding, I think the relevance and rawness of "Dad's Gonna Kill Me" make it the song of the year. Expand
  2. PhilW
    Oct 25, 2007
    One of the best albums of our generation.
  3. pluckyT
    Jun 16, 2007
    Sure, I'm a huge fan of the guy, especially of his solo work from the 90's on. And, he delivers again. Literate, dark, sarcastic, and emotional with great guitar work (though I always hope for more). If you love Tom Waits, Nick Cave or electric Dylan, definitely check out this album. I'd also suggest Richard's Mirror Blue, Mock Tudor and You Me Us, as great starting Sure, I'm a huge fan of the guy, especially of his solo work from the 90's on. And, he delivers again. Literate, dark, sarcastic, and emotional with great guitar work (though I always hope for more). If you love Tom Waits, Nick Cave or electric Dylan, definitely check out this album. I'd also suggest Richard's Mirror Blue, Mock Tudor and You Me Us, as great starting points. I've seen him live eight or nine times solo and with band and you owe it to yourself to him at least once. Expand
  4. judye
    Jun 26, 2007
    Easily accessible. Once you are captured by this album it's hard to find your way out. He's is the most consummate singer/songwriter of the age. He puts Clapton and every other of his contemporaries to shame because he's still as productive and creative as ever. No pap, like McCartney.
    Jun 10, 2007
    His best in years, it shows he's lost nothing as a writer guitarist and gained depth as a vocalist.
  6. DerekD
    Jun 14, 2007
    Another amazing masterpiece by one of the sickest guitar players of our time!
  7. DarrelL
    Aug 4, 2007
    RT > all. Yet another reason why.

1. Characteristically classy tunes that will thrill Thompson's fans, who have been waiting for just such a set of literate and challenging music from a musician who never delivers less.
  2. The 14 tracks find Thompson in typical tasteful form, playing with understated flash that straddles the trans-Atlantic divide to embrace Celtic soul and rootsy Americana, with bits of jazz and Jamaica ("Bad Monkey," "Francesca") thrown into the mix. [2 Jun 2007]
  3. With nothing particularly unusual to recommend, non-fans will miss out on yet another in a long string of superb collections.