Synthetica - Metric
7.7

Review this album

1. Jun 12, 2012
    This album is a wonderful progression in Metric's music. It mixes the old and new of their music, and was amazing to listen too. I highly recommend it to anyone who likes Metric; you will not be disappointed.
  2. Jun 13, 2012
    At this point, Metric's craft is fully realized. The composition of the songs here is undoubtedly the best its ever been, and the lyrics... sweet Jesus.
  3. Jul 27, 2012
    As I usually experience with Metric, it took a while to warm up to a lot of the tracks, but I embraced the gradual enjoyment that emerged as I listened. Of course, a few tracks: "Speed The Collapse", "Clone", "Artificial Nocturne" and "Youth Without Youth" popped out to me from the beginning, but most of the other songs are worth appreciating as well. I've especially grown to love "Dreams So Real", "Synthetica", "Nothing But Time", "Lost Kitten" and "The Void". The album's lyrics are genuine and reflective, symbolic and poignant. There are times when I'll just sit alone and listen to a song on repeat, sometimes for hours on end, because the music really makes you think. There are so many ways to interpret a lot of the songs, from the literal to the purely theoretical. Few albums can do that well. The synths on the album are crisp and flawless, sometimes cosmic, sometimes haunting, sometimes ethereal, but always complementing Emily Haines' voice perfectly. Much like their previous album Fantasies, I have developed a very close connection with this album, and look forward to seeing how Metric evolves in the future. Expand
  4. Aug 26, 2012
    SYNTHETICA is a highly addictive and fun album, which (most METRIC fans will disagree with me on this) in my opinion is their best album. What can I say? Most of my favourite songs by them are on this album.
  5. Dec 9, 2012
    Do you like Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs? Paramore? Best Coast? Beach House? Dum Dum Girls? Yuck!? You
  6. Jul 14, 2013
    Easily the best album of 2012. Not only does the record lack a bad song, but the songs flow together beautifully, each building upon the last. Personally, I even prefer this album to Fantasies, though barely.

1. Oct 12, 2012
    Synthetica's relentless efficiency feels a tad mechanical. [Jul 2012, p.107]
  2. Jul 3, 2012
    With nearly each track including a mesmerizing hook or chorus that slowly permeates your subconscious - "Clone" and "Breathing Underwater" leap out from the pack in this regard - Synthetica is a solid album.
    Throughout Synthetica, an undertow of dystopian unease drags the music away from standard pop territory into darker areas.