Tempest - Bob Dylan
7.5

Review this album

1. Sep 11, 2012
    Dylan has always been hit and miss even within his greatest albums. that may be changing. There are simply no misses in Tempest. It's the best Dylan we have seen in years and quite possible the best album of the year. Stunningly good songs with lyrics so achingly sorrowful that you cannot remain unmoved. Beautiful.
  2. Sep 24, 2012
    Turn up Narrow Way, pretend you're on stage with Bob and the band, and you're dancing of course, and just try to figure out which guitar you would like to play, then look up the lyrics, and enjoy the song on another level. Dylan continues on a righteous path, which I guess means that the other choice of paths is more along the lines of sinful, but no matter, I'd walk down, skip down, or dance down any path with Bob. Expand
  3. bjk
    Mar 13, 2013
    If this is his swan song, it's a great album to end his career on. Gorgeous rythms, structure and lyrics. This proves again what a great story teller he is and how his song arranging genius is often overshadowed by his poetry and stories.
  4. Sep 11, 2012
    My opinion is that this is the best Bob Dylan album since Time Out of Mind and in some ways I like it even more than that. Grew on me rather well with the first 7 or 8 listens. Lots of highlights. So many that the album itself is a magnificent highlight and it's the best thing I have heard so far this year, by far. I also think it's one of Dylan's strongest efforts ever that has paid off in big dividends. High praise for great work here. Expand
  5. Sep 11, 2012
    Best Bob Dylan's effort in years. Bob remains as the truest storyteller in recent years and he is still on top of his game both lyrically and musically. Every track on this thing is a killer. Not a single word or chord is meaningless or out of touch. Instant classic and an essential album at the beginning of this decade.
  6. Sep 12, 2012
    So here we have it, what could possibly be Bob Dylan's final album. What can be said that hasn't already been said? This is his, in my personal opinion, his finest album since 1997's Time Out Of Mind. What I may say is that the album does feel more than the sum of its parts. Not all songs are fantastic with the lowest points being Roll On John and Soon After Midnight. While these songs are forgettable, they are by no means bad in any way with Roll On John being a sweet tribute to his old musical colleague John Lennon. Meanwhile highlights include the freewheelin ' style of Duquesne Whistle, the hypnotic Tin Angel and the epic 14 minute and 45 verse long title track. The most interesting aspect of the album is, as always with Bob Dylan, the lyrics. The imagery on this album is among the most vivid of his 50 year career with Tempest (the song) giving such a full picture that it is comparable to watching a film. And in the end of this song, the only one who remains is the watchman, lonely and pondering over events passed. One can only imagine that this is a metaphor for Dylan who stands alone in American music giving us his unique take on the world and still as ever, deep in his thoughts. Expand
  7. Sep 13, 2012
    Spellbinding start to finish. Dylan's best in years. This release is meant to be heard at one sitting. Not a weak song on the document----even if the title song may drag a bit. Outstanding production and sound.
  8. Oct 18, 2012
    Another fine album from Bob Dylan. He is my favorite musical artist. Dylan requires repeated listening to fully appreciate both the music and lyrics. My favorite song on this album is Narrow Way, which I think is another Dylan classic. Other great songs include Tempest, Roll On John, and Early Roman Kings, but there is not a weak song on the album.
  9. Nov 21, 2012
    Amazing album, especially for a 71 year old. But as Dylan ages, the quality and power of his music does not, and Tempest sees Dylan at top form with great new songs. The band is tight, and the music is much better rehearsed than Together Through Life and Christmas In The Heart. Also, Dylan's voice is clear and strong in the album, and is as emotive as always!
  10. Sep 14, 2012
    His best since Love and Theft. Maybe not an all-time Dylan classic, but certainly a fantastic album and a best-of-the-year finalist. I really didn't think he had another album this strong in him.
  11. Sep 11, 2012
    The title track is one of the most haunting pieces of music to be written in years. Bob is beyond brilliant. This album is just shy of a perfect score for me, but I am sure many will consider it to be flawless. "Roll On John" is another personal favorite from the album.
  12. Sep 11, 2012
    Tempest won't convert anyone who hasn't enjoyed Love and Theft or Modern Times but it's Dylan's best album in years. Great songwriting, the best band Dylan has had since The Band and, surprisingly given his past aversion to recording studios, Dylan's self-production is superb, crystal clear with his ravaged voice to the fore. Fantastic stuff. I suspect Nick Cave or Bonnie Prince Billy would've been happy to put their names to some some of these dark tales. Expand
  13. Oct 29, 2012
    Similar in sound to his last album (less accordion, thankfully), but an upgrade in every way. A highlight of his late-career resurgence that mines and mixes English literature, the Great American Songbook, and his own work to great effect.

1. Dec 5, 2012
    [Tempest has] a sense of dues paid as a continual creative replenishment, rather than a swansong. [Nov 2012, p.63]
  2. Dec 4, 2012
    Surprisingly, Dylan has never been more deliberate or so overtly savage. [No. 93, p.54]
  3. Oct 4, 2012
    As with the albums that have come in its wake, this one will be compared to 1997's Time Out Of Mind, the last truly great Dylan disc. Though not of that caliber, Tempest finds Bob Dylan still very much in the game.