The Afterman: Ascension - Coheed and Cambria
8.6

Review this album

1. Oct 12, 2012
    I really have enjoyed this album. It takes me back to the old days of Coheed and Cambria. I've enjoyed their past two albums but are really happy that they're kind of going back to the Keeping Secrets and Good Apollo days. Really looking forward to the second part next year!
  2. Oct 11, 2012
    This album is fantastic - it's short because it's half of a double album, but there's a lot to love. Getting Josh Eppard back on drums was the best idea ever, and he absolutely kills it on this album. Otherwise, they've definitely returned to their older sound w/ guitars and melodies, but they've mixed in a lot of compelling time signatures and hits in this album which are a development over past albums.

As far as the lyrics and stories go, I really haven no idea wtf Claudio is talking about but goddamn the music is sooo bomb.
  3. Nov 20, 2012
    I am a huge Coheed fan, and in my opinion this is definitely their best album to date. Every song is very emotional and powerful. The new bassist brings a very jazzy feeling to the rhythm section. Overall, the album has a feeling of loss and despair. Lots to love here- good job Claudio & Company :)
  4. Jan 5, 2013
    It's not my favorite Coheed and Cambria album, but it is definitely accessible for new fans of the band. Coheed has an amazing wealth of inspiration and it shows on The Afterman: Ascension. Everything but rap and country, Coheed touches on almost every genre and reinvents them while doing so. Definitely an impressive album.
  5. May 8, 2014
    At first I didn't like it that much but after another listen, I could help but love this album. From start to finish, Nothing but great tracks that would without a doubt be featured on a greatest hits for Coheed and Cambria. A must buy for sure and it more than makes up for the crappy Year of the Black Rainbow.

1. Feb 8, 2013
    [The band's] hardcore sound is as tricky to keep up with as ever. [Mar 2013, p.101]
  2. Nov 2, 2012
    It sparkles with invention, creativity, crushing use of dynamics and, when all's said and done, just really strong songs.
  3. Oct 29, 2012
    So far so grandiose. Fortunately, Coheed's music mirrors the scope of the project as a whole here. [ 6 Oct 2012, p.54]