9.1

Review this album

1. Oct 13, 2010
    Practically Eminem at his best. While shock rap isnt really something difficult to do, Eminem mixes it with his lyrical cleverness. He throws out memorable punchlines bound to stick and he does it in a style which is clearly not simple and just thrown out with little effort. This album is quite a treasure, being that its one of the few pieces of work that are connected to the mainstreamPractically Eminem at his best. While shock rap isnt really something difficult to do, Eminem mixes it with his lyrical cleverness. He throws out memorable punchlines bound to stick and he does it in a style which is clearly not simple and just thrown out with little effort. This album is quite a treasure, being that its one of the few pieces of work that are connected to the mainstream success of the heavilly underground infested horrorcore community. Expand
  2. Oct 25, 2010
    Possibly the best thing about The Marshall Mathers LP is hearing Eminem verbally slap the world's moral guardians senseless. However, because of its lyrical content (and also because he so frequently and ruthlessly disses 'N Sync) the pure catchy-pop of the record is often overlooked.
  3. Aug 13, 2010
    A pathological masterpiece that succeeds in presenting emotion and uncompromising entertainment.

This album turned the whole world upside down. It sold 1.75 million in its first week, went 5x platinum in its first month, sold 19 million total worldwide, and won Grammys. This isn't the type of album expected to achieve such heights. But at the same time, only one person is capable of making such an album. And that is Eminem.

On his last album, he was goofy and his content was easy to distinguish as real or fake. This time is different. He is scarier, darker, more insane, and funnier. And that line between reality and fiction gets blurry. He can be serious when he's joking and joking when serious. So he leaves the deciphering up to us to determine his character.

Thankfully, that is a strong point of this brilliant album. He gives us glimpses of his thoughts. He shows us his rage, his madness, and his emotions and feelings even on the most laughable subjects. On Marshall Mathers, he tells of his anger towards gang violence (bloods and crips), the formidable pop music, the criticism and backlash he received, and Insane Clown Posse. On Who Knew, Eminem talks about his quick and unexpected rise to fame and how his influence has become huge and how censorship groups have become so sensitive on what should be recognized as simply music. On Stan, he unweaves a fictional tale of an obsessed fan who writes letters to Eminem and goes mad after no response, and the Em's final response and advice before finding out that his fan had killed himself in a car accident. It's spooky but makes great points. But the greatest track of the album is Kim. A haunted tale of Eminem visualizing himself killing his wife. He raps in a way that sounds like he's shouting. But the fact that makes this song so great is that the audience sympathizes with him even if he is a murderer. Other tracks are amazing like The Real Slim Shady (which is WAY better than My Name Is). But Kim is the standout.

Marshall Mathers LP was the album that made me appreciate music in times where good music was scarce. Some say the album is overrated obviously because it sold millions and made Em a pop superstar. But one should lose the prejudgment and understand that this is a work of art that deserves to be recognized as one of the seminal albums not just in hip hop but in pop music.
  4. Nov 5, 2013
    Lets Just Say I Still Listen To This Album, as its one of the best albums Eminem has ever created in his rap career...................................
  5. Aug 18, 2010
    The Marshall Mathers LP basically transcends the reason of mankind. True psychological warfare spoken with perfection and delivered more meticulously than any record out there. Eminem is rap, and this record proves it.
  6. Sep 6, 2010
    This is one of the best rap album ever and one of the best Eminem album. There isn't evan one weak song. All songs are great, and the lyrics are awsome. 23mln copies of that album have sold, and that album diserve on this
  7. j30
    Sep 28, 2011
    There has never been a rapper like Eminem or a record like The Marshall Mathers LP. Inventive and groundbreaking material here. A definitive album and one of the best records of the past decade.
  8. Nov 5, 2013
    *words**words**words**words**words**words**words**words**words**words**words**words**words**words**words**words**words**words**words**words**words**words**words**words**words**words**words**words**words* JUST BUY THE ALBUM IT'S F-ING AMAZING!!!
  9. Dec 9, 2010
    Eminem At His BEST!!!!
    One of the best Hip-Hop Albums Ever.
  10. Jan 27, 2011
    This is hands down, in my opinion. The best rap album ever made. a 10 in every aspect. Lyrically Unmatched. Dre and Eminem Making beats that are all top notch. and its the perfect balance between his 2 alter egos, Slim shady and Marshall mathers
  11. Nov 21, 2010
    This album endures as a standout from within a genre mired in sophomoric drivel. Eminem is one of the few remaining geniuses that can make hip hop into a true art form.
  12. Nov 22, 2010
    This is Eminem's finest masterpiece, the epitome of hardcore rap. The skillfully focused controversy, anger, and demented thoughts put into words by a master lyricist, both funny and dark. A sardonic, imperfect work of art. Best rap album of the decade.
  13. Mar 23, 2011
    Great LP. It is obvious that he is the best rapper today. He has unbelievable talent, creativeness that is unmatched and a way with his words that is pure art.
  14. Apr 3, 2011
    MMLP is a undeniable CLASSIC with capital letters and probably one or if not the greatest rap album of all times. Since 2000 when this album dropped, am still yet to see an album as CLASSIC as this(Across all Genres), The closest was Jay-z's Blueprint.
  15. N10
    Nov 19, 2011
    Eminem is dope. The Song's are dope. The whole album is dope!. Eminem is a legend. This is probably one of the greatest albums of all time. Grown up with Eminem's music. One of the best albums!
  16. May 12, 2011
    this was great i love this album. it was entertaining. its his best album and always will be. it had funny moments. scary moments. and sad moments. Stan is his best achievement!!!!!!!!!
  17. Jul 6, 2011
    Best Eminem album ever! Put aside the homophobic, sexist slurs and this is one of the best rap albums of all time. Definitely one of the best albums I ever heard.
  18. Sep 8, 2011
    awesome album. eminem has proved that he is really the real slim shady. the song stan is the best song ever. this album has everything that a good album should have. just love eminem. bravo eminem
  19. Jun 23, 2011
    Eminem's BEST ALBUM EVER, HANDS DOWN. Will go down in history as one of the best rap albums of all time...next to Illmatic, All Eyez on Me, Ready to Die, Amerikkka's Most Wanted, Doggystyle and The Chronic.
  20. Sep 5, 2011
    As it's one of my favourite albums, there is going to be limited critique here. But, anyway, the lyrical psychopath is back for his second studio album - or technically third - and it's his best to date. The beats are sparse and unimaginative, but the tracks still keep you entertained with Eminem's especially dark and vicious lyrics, often amusing. This album boasts a more serious approachAs it's one of my favourite albums, there is going to be limited critique here. But, anyway, the lyrical psychopath is back for his second studio album - or technically third - and it's his best to date. The beats are sparse and unimaginative, but the tracks still keep you entertained with Eminem's especially dark and vicious lyrics, often amusing. This album boasts a more serious approach than his first album, which focused on his comical alter ego Slim Shady. However, the content is more offensive than serious, with Eminem just increasing the shock factor. May not be for everyone, but this is an almighty record. Expand
  21. Sep 4, 2011
    First of this album should receive critical acclaim. Women hating, violent, harsh, homophobic, or straight up silly, call it whatever, this album cannot be touched. This album features the story of an obsessed fan titled "Stan", a classic comedy track "The Real Slim Shady", an overrated track on drugs and partying "Drug Ballad", a horror movie-like scenario where he's killing his wifeFirst of this album should receive critical acclaim. Women hating, violent, harsh, homophobic, or straight up silly, call it whatever, this album cannot be touched. This album features the story of an obsessed fan titled "Stan", a classic comedy track "The Real Slim Shady", an overrated track on drugs and partying "Drug Ballad", a horror movie-like scenario where he's killing his wife "Kim", and one of his best tracks on raping his mother, beating women, and serial killing. If your not a fan of this and you take most of his violent lyrics literal, don't be a **** and come with a sense of humor. If this was a Scorsese film, it'll probably be a classic. This album is meant to entertain, not brainwash you. Expand
  22. Oct 23, 2011
    This Album is Like The Best Album I've Ever Heard In Hip-Hop History. This Album Is A True Classic. The Marshall Mathers LP Is A Masterpiece. The Lyrics Is Juicy, The Beats Are old School, The Tracks Are Fun, And Interesting To Listen Too. I Give This Album A 5.5 Mic Rating. Eminem's Style, Composition, Lyrics, Are Unbeatable. Stan And Kill You Are The Best Tracks On The Album.
  23. Jun 5, 2012
    This is Eminem's greatest album to date. After an amazing debut album with "The Slim Shady LP", Eminem comes back even harder to deliver this Grammy-winning classic.
  24. Nov 9, 2012
    Despite a couple duds, the album really packs a punch, and is probably one of the best, most heartfelt rap albums ever released.
  25. Oct 11, 2012
    Easily his best album. Intelligently written, passionately performed, and highly polished. Where the Slim Shady LP showed us metallers that hip-hop and that ugly word rap COULD be good, The Marshall Mathers LP cemented that idea.

This album changed everything. Full of amazing tunes, which contained genius stabs at the society of the day (which sadly seems even worse today... people don't learn) and told a dark tale of Eminem's troubled "private" life.

The only weak points, as I find in all of Eminem's records, are the collaborations which show you just how much more connected with the world (well, my world I guess) Eminem is over his peers. As Steve Berman tells us in the album, Dre is rapping about big-screen TVs, blunts, 40s and **** Eminem raps about homosexuals and Vicodin. He's all the better for it.
  26. Feb 14, 2012
    All around one of the best albums I've ever heard. I've been listening to this album for ten+ years straight and it's still amazing. I even listen to 'Kim' from time to time, it's kind of a masterpiece but i can't listen to it a lot. Other than that every song goes so unbelievably hard. "We don't do drive-bys, we park in front of houses and shoot, and when the police come we f*ckin shootAll around one of the best albums I've ever heard. I've been listening to this album for ten+ years straight and it's still amazing. I even listen to 'Kim' from time to time, it's kind of a masterpiece but i can't listen to it a lot. Other than that every song goes so unbelievably hard. "We don't do drive-bys, we park in front of houses and shoot, and when the police come we f*ckin shoot it out with them too, that's the mentality here, that's the reality here, did i just hear somebody say they wanna challenge me here, while i'm holding a pistol with this many calibers here" wow. Expand
  27. Dec 31, 2011
    Best Eminem Album Ever. His Lyrical content was at its best. I bump it everyday and i still love it till this day. I'll still be listening to this album when im 70
  28. Jan 4, 2012
    I'm stingy with the 10/10 placement, but this album kills it. This man has no moral conscience. He breaks every taboo and sets new ground for popular music. At his lightest, he still slays all in his way. At his darkest, he pulls music that could've come straight out of a horror movie.
  29. Nov 26, 2013
    the definition of lyrical mastery Eminem weaves a controversy-laden masterpiece examining life and the ripple effects of fame and fortune on the artist and their fans
  30. Feb 3, 2012
    Possibly the best Eminem album yet. Probably the best thing about the Marshall Mathers LP is how Eminem mixes his relationship with family, his rise to fame, and his personal life, with really clever lyrical content.The Marshall Mathers LP is indeed a really unique album. It's fairly brilliant, and many songs tell a story. Eminem is definitely rap, and definitely deserves to be on of thePossibly the best Eminem album yet. Probably the best thing about the Marshall Mathers LP is how Eminem mixes his relationship with family, his rise to fame, and his personal life, with really clever lyrical content.The Marshall Mathers LP is indeed a really unique album. It's fairly brilliant, and many songs tell a story. Eminem is definitely rap, and definitely deserves to be on of the best. 10/10. Expand
  31. May 27, 2012
    The Marshall Mathers LP is probably Eminem's best record yet. The Marshall Mathers LP has good lyrics, beats, and is very appealing. The Marshall Mathers LP has many dark themes, controversy, and life stories, which makes this album amazing.

One of the most notable positives about this record is his lyrics, which I highly praise. The album has many dark themes, with songs including "Kill You," "Kim," and "Criminal." This album did had songs that did attract controversy, songs including "Criminal," "Amityville," "Remember Me?," and "Under the Influence." Some songs also tells life stories, including "The Way I Am" and "Stan," which is probably his best song on the album. Overall, this album amazing lyrically.

Another thing I would like to point out is the beats on this album. Some of the beats on this album was not produced by Eminem himself. In fact, the beat for the song "Kill You" was claimed to be stolen. The beats have a lot of have a lot of bass, and sounds somewhat like the g-funk music styles. Overall, I'm not a huge fan of the beats, and I find the beats generally mediocre to average.

Eminem's Marshall Mathers LP appeals to various types of audiences. I believe that this album appeals to fans of the genres rock, rap, and horrorcore because this album has all three of those elements in this albums. This album might also appeal to some who had struggled with their life, just like how Eminem struggled with his family and life in general. If you're not a huge fan of overuse of strong language (to me there's nothing wrong with that), or over-the-top violence, you might not be a huge fan of this album. Overall, this album appeals to a large and good amount of people especially for hip-hop fans.

Overall, I liked Eminem's Marshall Mathers LP, and it is my favorite from Eminem's work. This album was very impressive lyrically, especially when I first listened to the album. I did find the beats to be mediocre, but overall it was okay. The album also has a large appeal, though it might not appeal to some, and the tracks are very well laid out. While it's not perfect, it's still a very good album, and is probably Eminem at its best.
  32. Jun 30, 2012
    One of the best albums of all time. Whether you like rap or not, you have to admit that Eminem in this album has produced a lyrical masterpiece that is almost poetic at times. Yet it is still angry, offensive, sad and funny at the same time. Genius.
  33. Feb 12, 2013
    A classic album, in rap and in music in general it is Eminem's best album. I cant think of a single track I'm indifferent about
  34. Aug 2, 2012
    Quite obviously The Real Slim Shady at his peak, he showed he can ruthlessly diss little boy and girl bands, Grammy Winners, the Grammys, and many more thing. He showed imagination however dark in Stan. Thus qualities that made Eminem an original rapper, not like the others already rapping, but there will always be Eminem imitators. Thus when at the hands of The Real Slim Shady, will be ****** up.
  35. Sep 6, 2012
    Master Piece enough said his work only progressed over the years and will conitinue to im still waiting for his next ablum 2013 lets see what art he produces
  36. Nov 9, 2012
    Listen to this and compare it to albums now. Lyrical horrorcore at it's finest. "Whatever happened to catchin a good old-fashioned passionate Ass whoopin' and getting your shoes, coat, and your hat tooken"
    A music industry full of pop aimed at pre-teen kids really makes you appreciate The Marshall Mathers LP. Granted if you are easily offended then don't bother.
  37. Apr 5, 2013
    The Marshall Mathers LP is a strong debut for Eminem. It's a meaningful and intensefully dark and humoruous which a great start to Eminem's f*cked life and career.
  38. May 27, 2013
    This album is just genius. The lyricism is clever and eminem's dark and sinister flow just adds to the dark nature of the album. This album is not for the light-hearted though. If you plan on listening to this album, prepare for shocking but clever songs.
  39. Mar 16, 2014

40. Nov 8, 2013
    The best album that Eminem ever made, as well as one of the best rap albums period. So many classic songs are on this album. You have one of the best story-telling rap songs ever with "Stan". You have a crazy fun song with "The Real Slim Shady". There are also some vastly underrated songs like "Kill You", "Criminal", and "Who Knew". Even the skits on this album are good. The only problem IThe best album that Eminem ever made, as well as one of the best rap albums period. So many classic songs are on this album. You have one of the best story-telling rap songs ever with "Stan". You have a crazy fun song with "The Real Slim Shady". There are also some vastly underrated songs like "Kill You", "Criminal", and "Who Knew". Even the skits on this album are good. The only problem I have with this album is the length of it. If songs/skits such as Amityville, Remember Me, and Ken Kaniff were removed we would be look at a much better project. Nonetheless, it is still a fantastic album. Expand
  41. Dec 17, 2014
    Podemos poner a The Marshall Mathers LP como el mejor álbum de rap de toda la historia si vemos las letras de este no como un oyente más, o un critico, sino como un Marshall Mathers o un Slim Shady.
  42. Jun 22, 2014
    This is Eminem at his best. The content is very lyrical, funny, violent and controversial. Without a doubt top 10 rap albums of all time, maybe even top 5
  43. Aug 1, 2013
    This album is the best Eminem album, absolutely genius, the rhymes and the punchlines are complicated. All of the disses, all of the anger, of this album is a car-crash record: loud, wild, dangerous, out of control, grotesque, unsettling. That's the real Slim Shady.
  44. Dec 14, 2013
    A 78? Anytime the gap between users and critics (who's job it is to accurately portray the public's reception of a product), is this large, the critics are at fault. Eminem is simply too extreme for some, so they pass it off as shock value. For sure, this album has a lot of shock value, but to simply brush it off as a 78, a C+! No no no, Eminem takes his real life, which is exactly asA 78? Anytime the gap between users and critics (who's job it is to accurately portray the public's reception of a product), is this large, the critics are at fault. Eminem is simply too extreme for some, so they pass it off as shock value. For sure, this album has a lot of shock value, but to simply brush it off as a 78, a C+! No no no, Eminem takes his real life, which is exactly as treacherous as his lyrics portray, and makes it into some of the hardest-hitting, witty, clever, and passionate albums known to date. Then take those lyrics and put them on top of Dr. Dre's beats! There is a reason this album is considered a classic. Someone needs to give Metacritic the memo, because as of now, Rick Ross has an album higher than MMLP. Blasphemous. Expand
  45. Jan 12, 2014
    This album was exceptional for its year. It had the perfect blend of seriousness, jokes and dark humor. Eminem displays all of these using great wordplay, stellar lyricism and amazing flow, which he himself claims he wanted to improve. Although certain songs' production was a bit weak, the album is a masterpiece overall and a hip hop classic.
  46. May 20, 2014
    this album came out when i turned 7 i first heard it when i was 11 and i was really into rap back then im now 20 and as time has passed i have stoped listening to the 50 cents ice cubes and so on but every now and then i chuck on my mmlp and just admire the lyrical genius that is eminem this was a great album back when i was 11 and it still hold up today
  47. Jun 24, 2014
    Melhor álbum de Eminem, The Marshall Mathers LP é um trabalho perfeito do rapper de Detroit, com um estilo novo de rap, com muito humor negro e conteúdo apelativo, algo que não havia na época, mostrado com grande qualidade lírica e excelente produção.
  48. Aug 8, 2014
    Classic. He's having fun, incredible wordplay and overall just an album you can vibe to, it's dangerous, strong and is Eminem's peak. One of the greatest albums of all time.

1. Feb 13, 2012
    The collaborative efforts of tracks like "Bitch Please II" and "Under the Influence" make Eminem seem like an ornamental prop in Dr. Dre's ever-growing hip-hop dynasty.
  2. The problem is, as the album drags on, young Master Mathers wastes his considerable wit and opts to grouse in the guise of a rampaging reactionary. Song after song finds Eminem viciously baiting real and imagined enemies, as if that's all he knows how to do.
  3. It just isn't as much fun this time around, no matter how fresh Dre's beats are or how many worthy targets get shot down along with the innocent.