Treats - Sleigh Bells
8.3

Review this album

1. Oct 8, 2013
    One of the best indie pop albums I ever heard. It seems almost impossible now that something so heavy and unexpected can be sugary sweet at the same time. It's something that could damage your hearing for good, but Jesus effin Christ, it's so worth it.
  2. Jun 3, 2012
    Two years later, this record still feels fresh and essential. Each song is a two to three minute fireworks show. I pity those who are too pretentious to appreciate this band.
  3. Feb 18, 2012
    Treats is a fun album to listen too. It's noise pop put on full blast. The tracks are loud, mean, and very great to listen too. The creativity is brilliant. It's really unlike any other band I've listened too, much less a duo. All In All, Sleigh Bells "Treats" is an amazing record that needs to be experienced. A-
  4. Jun 22, 2011
    A completely original pop masterpiece. Do yourself a favor and see them live because they put on one hell of a show--especially if you have epilepsy...
  5. Jun 11, 2011
    It's a shame that they're gotten so popular with the wrong crowd of people, but good for them for getting their music out there. This is music that everyone should listen to and appreciate for it's raw energy and ear-splitting awesomeness.
  6. Mar 17, 2011
    Most original sound for quite sometime. The combination of the vocals, with the hip hop beats, and the heavy guitar. This is as fresh of a sound as you can get.
  7. Dec 31, 2010
    As you can tell by the reviews, this band has the power to be polarizing. I have an appreciation for bands that are polarizing. I totally understand hating Treats in the way that I understand people hating Leslie Hall -- I just happen to feel oppositely and love it. You can see Treats as "merely" making ultra low bass and rap metal safe for indie kids, or "simply" marketing Shellac to pre-teens, but then again, think of how brilliant/ingenious *you'd* have to be to actually make that happen. Sometimes Sleigh Bells pastiches and re-contextualizes so much -- I mean, they really seem to flat out lift riffs in some places -- Cure, Pixies, My Bloody Valentine -- when they don't sample, that I almost think of them as a parallel universe rock version of Girl Talk. (Apologies for all the bandname dropping, it's just really hard not to have comparisonitis with this one.) Expand
  8. Nov 30, 2010
    Fresh and new. Innovative and fun. Similar songs with a variety of themes, and this certainty isn't a flaw. If anything, the similarities of all the songs on this album are part of what makes it so great.
  9. Nov 12, 2010
    Know what Treats is? Exactly what the album cover depicts. It's like spending a night at a sporting event. Watching the cheerleaders make chants and do flips and make towers and all that (That would be the vocals). The important fact is that your high school team actually DIDN'T absolutely suck, and is, alternatively, actually very, very good. Your fellow students absolutely LOVE the team, and get completely into the cheers and games and yell and scream as loud as they can (that'd be the guitars). And to add accents to it all, there's those smaller events that occur all the time, as well as the actual game. Any contact made, and big change in someone's life, a breakup maybe, a new spark, a fight, whatever. Those would be the drums. But what always keeps the tempo flowing of the game are the cheerleaders' cheering.

Only difference is this was made by indie chicks that probably hated everything about high school football games.

So it's sarcastic or something. Yeah.
  10. Nov 5, 2010
    The first time I heard Treats I was blown away. I didn't instantly love it like I do now, but it did make me want to take another listen. If you do not like loud music, I do not recommend that you listen to Sleigh Bells. One of the most unique albums of the year and is definitely in my top 10 of 2010.

1. That their most charming song by far is the straight George Clinton rip "Rill Rill," which leaves open the question of what they can do for an encore. I'll grant that minimalist bands always leave that question open if you'll grant that too often the answer is repeat themselves.
  2. It's the Ting Tings amplified past 11, and the two never stray far from the formula.
  3. Abrasive and addictive, the duo have together discovered a chemistry that not only excites themselves, but almost anyone else who experiences it. [Aug 2010, p.122]