Uno! - Green Day
6.9

Review this album

1. Sep 29, 2012
    I'm a long-term Green day fan and I think it's great.
    Not their best but sure a great way to enter the new decade - by returning to their power-pop roots (and of course being good at it).
    Lyrics are not as good as they were on their previous releases but the album is just fun, catchy and as Mick Jones once said: "Stripped to the bone". No ****
    And yeah...Sputnik Music seriously sucks.
  2. Sep 25, 2012
    ¡Uno! is perhaps, Green Day at it's finest. It goes back to its older punk roots, while still sounding somewhat like there latest release. Most of the songs on here are great and memorable. It does, however, lack variety. The songs all sound very similar, which is kinda plain when compared to 21st Century Breakdown. This is, however, a must get for any Green Day fan, or a fan of punk, pop, rock, ect. and is easily worth $10. Expand
  3. Sep 25, 2012
    First review! Terrific album! Much better than 21st century breakdown. Reminds me of the pre-AI days but more refined. Let Yourself Go, Stay The Night, Fell for You, Carpe Diem, Sweet 16, Rusty James are all fantastic tracks that I can't stop listening to. Troublemaker is a bit tough to get used to but it has the best solo and lyric. Loss of control, Oh Love, and Kill the DJ are the weakest tracks which is saying something because if they were on 21st CB I would've considered them the best tracks. Expand
  4. Sep 26, 2012
    You May kind of dislike this album but let me get this straight This is not the album like the 21 Century **** is Pure Power Punk,............You guys know green day for their newly derived Rock Age Since '03....The Real Band was the '95 generation Dookie....Short Let Go ...Punk Songs.... Their Real Strength.........The Thing here is That the only problem with this album is the time about the generation.....they will definitely ignore this Punk Phase but they should not compare it To American Idiot (one of their best) cuz it was a rock opera...this is power punk...Different but not that good as Dookie and Nimrod!.... Definitely better than 21 century breakdown..haha but still it gave them a Grammy #Are you serious? Expand
  5. Sep 25, 2012
    As a long time Green Day fan, I really wanted this to be good (The same could be said about 21st Century Breakdown), but there was just nothing good about it. None of the songs are memorable and they just drone on and on. Listening to one song felt like it lasted 10 minutes when in reality it was only 3 and a half. I would say that these songs are just generic rock songs made to be radio friendly, but they avoided that by using the f-word about 90 times a song. I have no problem with swearing when it adds something to a piece of media, but this was just stupid. The entire album was stupid, Dos! and Tre! and probably going to be stupid, I hope that Green Day can turn things around and go back to how things were with American Idiot and everything before that, but I know that will probably never happen... Expand
  6. Sep 28, 2012
    The other low reviewers have said it better - as a Green Day fan from the 90s and beyond I expected much more from them. But then again, what can you expect from 40-year old millionaires? Not anything, apparently
  7. Sep 25, 2012
    For fans of the two previous albums this will probably be a disappointment. Because Uno! brings nothing more than some nice, but not rememberable guitar solos and approx. 643 uses of the F-word. The opener "Nuclear Family" is one nice song but the rest is some boring pop punk stuff. Everything's very similar, it seems like they didn't spend much time in any of the songs. Not bad, but just not good, sadly. Green Day can do way better than that, but I for my share think, that their time is over. Expand
  8. Sep 25, 2012
    After going in a new direction with their political messages and overall stadium rock feel to their previous two albums, Green Day go back to a similar sound to their origins, and in the end it's pulled off well. Songs such as Nuclear Family, Carpe Diem and Rusty James could have easily been mistaken for B-sides for Nimrod and nobody would blame you.

The album isn't perfect, with Billie
    Joe's new vocal style taking some getting used to, because although it worked well on American Idiot and 21st Century Breakdown, it's a whole new ball game when it comes to this album, but once you're used to it, it's very good and Billie puts in a solid performance, as well as Jason White, Mike Dirnt and Tre Cool, all putting in solid performances of their own.

Songs to look out for include Nuclear Family, Carpe Diem, Fell for You, Loss of Control and Rusty James, although there isn't a single song I don't enjoy on the album, but those are the really memorable ones.
  9. Oct 11, 2012
    As an Idiot I think I can tell that this album is way more better than 21st Century Breakdown. ¡Uno! is a perfect combination between Green Day early years stuff with a perfect power-pop. This is an album with no concept, which is great because you can enjoy every single song individually. I love the way Green Day put the songs on the album, I mean... when you start hearing "Oh Love" you know you should start taking off your headphones, just like "Wake me up when september ends" on American Idiot", "Sassafras Roots" on Dookie and "Good Riddance" on Nimrod. Expand
  10. Sep 25, 2012
    I wasn't a BIG fan of the last two albums, though I did like American Idiot and thought it was the far superior of the two. This album however I instantly took too. It brings me back to the Green Day I fell in love with in 1994. After a few spins it plays like a greatest hits album. Really well done.
  11. Sep 26, 2012
    "We've been around since 1988!!!" That's true. And Dookie, Nimrod, Warning and everything else you did in the 90's was amazing. But you haven't been relevant since 2000. And it shows on this album. Green Day is old hat.
  12. Sep 25, 2012
    Musically it returns to the "good old days" of Green Day. Listening to this and Dookie back to back, you can clearly hear that similarity. However, Billy Joe seems to have it in his head that he should actually be able to sing, so his vocals sound.. off. It's basically, 8 for music, 2 for vocals. Turn off all the effects Billy, also, don't be such a princess.
  13. Sep 26, 2012
    Uno is a modern day version of Dookie which is a terrific thing for the people that loved Green Day in the early days. I would go as far as saying this is the best album of the year so far and that is hard to say because I love Babel from Mumford & Sons.
  14. Oct 2, 2012
    I'm a long time Green Day fan, and have stuck with the band through every change. Sure, Green Day's not the pop-punk, 90-second song-slinging machines they used to be, nor, apparently, are they any longer performers of epic rock operas...Uno seems to be a combination of the two and yet something completely different.
    Very quick songs a la Dookie are here, but it's still not the fast paced
    punk Green Day started with. The themes are centered around love, sexy times, and the like, and the sound is sort of American Idiot-era generica. Simple guitar riffs and drum beats, mixed with the less poetic side of Billie Joe's writing make for a less artistic, but no less fun, Green Day album.
    If this is the direction Green Day is headed in now I won't stop buying albums...but they may need to make room on my favorite bands list.
  15. Oct 8, 2012
    While ¡Uno! doesn't have the depth of American Idiot or 21st Century Breakdown, it stands on its own as a new direction for Green Day. Having been around for more than 20 years, it is essential that they continue to change it up, and ¡Uno! is a great example. There's a lot less politics, and a lot more short guitar solos.

The album opens up with Nuclear Family, which is
    pretty average. It has grown on me over time, though, and it's a quick song (as most are on this album). Then it moves on to Stay the Night, which in my opinion is one of the best songs on the album. It's pretty different from other things GD have done in the past, and I can't think of any of their previous songs to compare it to. After that is Carpe Diem. Like Nuclear Family, this song took a couple listens to really warm up to, and is similar to Life Before the Lobotomy from 21CB.

Let Yourself Go and Kill the DJ are the most fun songs in the album. Let Yourself Go is a really fast song that is a lot of fun to sing along to, and Kill the DJ, while some might say is too repetitive, has a great beat that you'll be tapping your foot to. Fell for You and Angel Blue seem to represent the weaker points in the album. They lack any real substance, but are at least still fun to listen to in the context of the full album.

Loss of Control and Troublemaker are another pair of great songs. They're full of energy and fun to blast in the car. Sweet 16 is similar to Stay the Night, in that it is hard to compare it directly to any previous songs. I think the closest I can find would have to be Pulling Teeth from Dookie.

Finally Rusty James provides a great tune for the penultimate song in the album, leading into the album's closer Oh Love, which everyone has probably already heard on the radio this summer.

While some may argue that this album wasn't as great as GD's last two, I think it really shouldn't be compared on the same level. ¡Uno! stands on its own as a great way to spend 41 minutes, and adding 12 awesome new songs to your library. If you go in with the right expectations, this album can be really amazing.
  16. Sep 27, 2012
    As a HUGE Green Day fan, it pains me to see them be so bland. Maybe this huge Green Day love is what prevents me from rating it lower. I don´t think Green Day has ever had a below average album since they became a band, but this is the closest they´ve come. I think while American Idiot had a perfect combination of epic melodies and great lyrics, and 21st Century Breakdown had great songs but uninspired and kinda bad songwriting, Uno! has forgettable, poppy melodies and lyrics that aren´t very impressive. In a way, it takes the worst of 21stCB and combines it with the worst of Kerplunk and Insomniac, only to make these mediocre.

In fact, mediocre is kind of the definition of Uno! On the positive, it isn´t awful in any part. It´s still better than any Nickelback album (as much as a merit that is) or most mainstream punk-pop or rock pop albums released as of late. Yes its basic in every way, but stand alone tracks save it from being entirely dull. "Let Yourself Go" and "Nuclear Family" are really good tracks, reminiscent of old pre-AI Green Day. Even "Oh Love", as poppy as it is gets a spark of entertainment out of me. On the other hand, it is the poppy sound that kills most of the album. Green Day may make good pop albums someday, but the attempt of making a pop album with a kind of rock out element as well backfires in this case. The pop is too bland and boring and the rock outs are small and insignificant. Lyrics are too simple, song structure is just the basic verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge-finale structure and almost never changes it. Melodies consist mostly of a couple of chords repeatedly being smashed into your ear without much variation. No guitar solos or really anything to signal this is actually a rock band (or punk or alternative). I really hope the next two albums are better, because even if I didn´t expect a new Dookie or AI or even Nimrod, I really got disappointed by this. It´s worse than 21stCB because it doesn´t even get to be as enjoyably mediocre as that album was. If 7 months ago, I had been shown any of the tracks that aren´t the ones I mentioned before, and someone told me this was Green Day, I´m not sure I´d believe them. As an album, it doesn´t work because it is too disjointed. As separate songs only a quarter stand out as enjoyable songs to sing along to. It´s a 6 because I guess the factor of fun in the album is still present and some songs are good enough. But it is a long way from the Green Day album I´m waiting for.
  17. Oct 8, 2012
    Something of a return to form for the band after the absolutely dire 21st Century Breakdown, and heads back towards their sound at the middle of their career, Warning kinda time. There are some really strong hooks to be found in the album, but the songs and album overall are just devoid of anything to keep me coming back. Lyrically simple, repetitive and derivative this almost seems like Green Day have gone back to all their previous albums, and ripped off their own songs. Expand
  18. Sep 29, 2012
    Quite different from their previous work but it is still a great album when put together. Some of the standout tracks were "Stay the night" and "Kill the DJ"
  19. Oct 2, 2012
    After the ambitious and theatrical rock operas American Idiot and 21st Century Breakdown, Green Day have returned with a straightforward rock album. ¡Uno! sees a stylistic return to the classic vibe of the Dookie-Insomniac-Nimrod era. Some songs are still reminiscent of American Idiot and 21st Century Breakdown ("Stay the Night", "Carpe Diem"). But most of the tracks on this album could easily have fit in with the band's work from the '90s. The song "Kill the DJ" - arguably the standout track - is a welcome change, offering a dance-punk style akin to The Clash's Sandinista! Much thanks to Billie Joe Armstrong, Mike Dirnt, and Tré Cool for making a solid album. Hopefully ¡Dos! and ¡Tré! will be just as good, if not better. Expand
  20. Oct 11, 2012
    My favorite Green Day album since American Idiot. There's a few songs I didn't enjoy but songs like "Let Yourself Go" "Oh Love" and "Carpe Diem" are my favorite.
  21. Oct 6, 2012
    I've been a fan of Green Day since I found Dookie as a kid, probably 13 years ago. When American Idiot received considerable airplay I wasn't even aware it was the same band. Their past two albums have had a more stadium rock feel to them, which is something Uno! lacks. That's not to say it doesn't have some catchy power punk anthems but the album lacks cohesiveness in comparison with their most recent works. It starts on a high note, rattling through 'Nuclear Family', 'Stay the Night', and 'Carpe Diem', and finishes with familiar sounds in 'Rusty James' and 'Oh Love'. The middle however, is filled with relatively short, themeless songs that all sound increasingly similar. I understand the theme of the first album in the trilogy is to be 'Power Pop Punk', but let's hope we see more from volumes two and three, with their "Garage Rock' and 'Stadium Rock' labels. Expand
  22. Oct 3, 2012
    Definitely not their best stuff, but is well enough to satisfy. Some of the songs get kind of repetitive and aren't very memorable, but there still are good songs that retain those punk roots we're accustomed to like "Let Yourself Go" while at the same time having some unique creative ones like "Kill the DJ" , that are not the usual Green Day that we're used to, but it's a fun change of pace and it works. I'm looking forward to "¡Dos!" and "¡Tré! and hopefully there will be some more improvement. Expand
  23. Oct 17, 2012
    I'm gonna say it, Uno is definitely a great album from Green Day. For those who say the new songs all sound the same, (sure they mostly sound the same) but it's definitely Green Day in their fun, punk days. I even enjoyed "Kill The DJ". The album in general really does feel like a blast from the past. And that is nowhere close to a bad thing.
  24. Sep 25, 2012
    Green Day has always fascinated me in that they can write such catchy songs using simple power chords. This album delivers in that aspect. It's a departure from 21st Century Breakdown and a throwback to the days of Dookie and Nimrod. You'll find most of the album has an in-your-face, I don't care attitude, while other tracks are more sentimental. Stay the Night can best be described as a plea and it's a masterpiece. Fell For You is another sentimental love song but is catchy and punchy enough to avoid falling into groan territory. Nuclear Family feels like it was pulled straight out of the Nimrod days, while Sweet 16 and Rusty James could have easily been on Warning. The weakest song on the album is probably Oh Love; 5 minutes of boredom that never really goes anywhere. In all, it's a solid listen and it's nice to see the guys getting back to form after the underwhelming-but-still-good 21st Century Breakdown. Some critics will probably dismiss it for being too cliche in certain spots, or too similar to some of their previous material. Oddly enough, I give it praise for the same reasons. What's hard to believe is that there are still two more albums to come in the next 4 months. Collapse
  25. Sep 26, 2012
    Green Day foray deeper into pop-punk than they ever have before with Uno!. Less experimental than their previous two albums, the result is a non-stop attack of high-energy music that brings the band back to their punk roots, while still having the refined pop sound of their newest releases.
  26. Sep 26, 2012
    Uno! is an album you put into the CD player and have high hopes for, the first track (Nuclear Family) starts to go back to their roots then it builds but nothing happens. You hope for the rest of the songs to have that punk edge, but they don't, when I saw a song named: Kill The DJ, I laughed and excepted something with funny smart lyrics and gritty punk. What i heard is the worst "punk" opening to a song in my life. In my opinion Kill The DJ is the worst Green Day song I've ever heard. The songs just all sound similar and Oh Love is also horrible. Green Day should make another album like 21st century breakdown or American Idiot. Expand
  27. Sep 27, 2012
    Green day is one of the best punk rock bands out there. The main reason i believe this is becuase they change so much. Look at Dookie, then there best album American idiot and now Uno. Uno is different from their other albums but is still really really good. Great Job Green day! Can't wait for Dos and Tre!
  28. Sep 27, 2012
    This album is excellent! It is in the style of their older stuff yet more refined. This is probably Green Day's 3rd best album behind Dookie and American Idiot. Some songs lack a bit of punch until the very end like Carpe Diem but other than that this album is brilliant!
  29. Oct 5, 2012
    This album really takes me back. My best description is a good mix of Nimrod and Shenanigans with a little bit of Warning and Insomniac in small doses. Looking forward to the following releases!
  30. Oct 6, 2012
    This album is exactly what Green Day said it would be. I am a long time green day fan, and sure this album doesn't necessarily get up to par with Dookie and Insomniac but come on, they are in their forties. This album is pretty sweet if you give it the time and consider that trio, now quartet is no longer the snotty rebellious teens they once were. This is Green Day going back to their basic roots, and i truly respect it. Expand

1. Oct 19, 2012
    What this amounts to is a sharp and often exhilarating change of gear from the Green Day of the past eight years. [22 Sep 2012, p.50]
  2. There are some parts you'll have to suffer through, but there are at least a handful of tracks that we can save and enjoy into the future.
  3. Oct 2, 2012
    After all these years they can still write a catchy tune.