• Record Label: Matador
  • Release Date: Jan 7, 2014
7.7

Review this album

1. Jan 7, 2014
    Outstanding!!!! Stephen Malkmus is a rock genius The title is quintessentially Stephen Malkmus a conflation of two slang terms, one dating back to the hazed-out '60s, the other a vulgar remnant of modernity and, as it happens, Wig Out at Jagbags also sounds quintessentially Malkmusian.
  2. Feb 7, 2014
    I've always dug Pavement/Malkmus but this record for some reason really made me "get it" for real and i've gone S.M/Pavement crazy. The most youthful, fun Jicks record yet. Signature ridiculous/brilliant lyrics and of course Malkmus is one of the finest guitar players of the modern era - this record displays that beautifully. The Jicks aren't self serious and if you're looking for an epicI've always dug Pavement/Malkmus but this record for some reason really made me "get it" for real and i've gone S.M/Pavement crazy. The most youthful, fun Jicks record yet. Signature ridiculous/brilliant lyrics and of course Malkmus is one of the finest guitar players of the modern era - this record displays that beautifully. The Jicks aren't self serious and if you're looking for an epic indie prog masterpiece - you won't find it. But to quote Lester Bangs “The first mistake of art is to assume that it's serious.”. Dig this. Expand
  3. Sep 21, 2014
    The first new album I heard this year. The greatest beginning that I could ask for. This album clearly states that we will have Stephen Malkmus for a while, and The Jicks are at their most steady point. I liked more Mirror Traffic, but the melodies in Wig Out At Jagbags are more complex with Malkmus characteristic lyrics, and the addition of new instrumentation and great song structures.The first new album I heard this year. The greatest beginning that I could ask for. This album clearly states that we will have Stephen Malkmus for a while, and The Jicks are at their most steady point. I liked more Mirror Traffic, but the melodies in Wig Out At Jagbags are more complex with Malkmus characteristic lyrics, and the addition of new instrumentation and great song structures. Chartjunk and J Smoov are masterpieces and are two of the best songs I have heard all year. Expand

1. Feb 19, 2014
    There are just too many occasions where Malkmus' tone bypasses droll, flies directly over kitsch, and lands way out in the rough with no hope of ever retrieving the ball.
  2. Feb 5, 2014
    It never feels quite enough to warrant the repeated listens that any one of Malkmus’ other solo records deserve, which feels something of a travesty.
  3. Jan 28, 2014
    It's the most consistently enjoyable Malkmus/Jicks LP since his excellent self-titled album of 2001. [Feb 2014, p.117]