X&Y - Coldplay
7.7

Review this album

1. Jan 5, 2011
    Coldplay's tendency to water down their albums with mediocre filler is most apparent on this album. While a cohesive, unified sound can work quite well in some cases, it hurts Coldplay here. This comes off as a timid effort from a band that has an aversion to genuine risk-taking.
  2. Oct 10, 2010
    It isnt as powerful and dark as the second album....and its just full of decent ballads. i feel the loss of some heavier tracks . but their change of style in each album is admirable and there is steel some memorable tracks (like fix you , twisted logic,low & square one) but it seems to me that some tracks are something between chris and his wife and theyre not for the listeners...!!! third album of a good band is always so important...it can make them legendary (the examples are Radiohead, muse, The White Stripes &......) or it can make them just a good band which have many fans. I think X&Y was a good album which made Coldplay more popular than more respectable. Expand
  3. Oct 8, 2010
    While I believe X and Y is marginally a stronger album than A Rush of Blood to the Head, it's still not the smashing album I had hoped for. There are some standout tracks, but some seem either too similar to another, or are just thee to fill the album.
  4. Jun 21, 2011
    Before this album, I was a massive Coldplay fan. This was a HUGE disappointment! Fame clearly went to their heads and they thought they could release any sappy nursery rhyme and the world would eat it up. Unfortunately, that's what happened. Honestly, I can't tell if they were trying too hard or too little with this album.

I've come back to this album several times, months apart, and
    get nauseous with all but two tracks: White Shadows and Speed of Sound. Those are more what I expected from the album, earning it the two points I give it. No I didn't give up hope on Coldplay, and think they've redeemed themselves with 'Viva la Vida'. Let's only hope that 'The Bakery' delivers, as well ... Expand
  5. Aug 6, 2011
    A weaker album. It seems that they weren't as inspired as in their two previous; they had ran out of ideas (this is proved later in the change of sound of Viva la Vida). Still, a few songs like "fix you" or "speed of sound" make this album good enough to listen for Coldplay fans (by no means should a non-coldplay fan start with this album)
  6. Oct 28, 2011
    This album is not quite on the same level as Rush Of Blood To The Head because of the lack of lyrical strength and similar sounding songs, but there are some good songs on this album, as always, like "Fix You", "The Hardest Part" and "Speed of Sound".
  7. Sep 8, 2011
    I loved Rush of Blood, but this is easily Coldplay's weakest album. Most of the songs are pretty average with a few standouts (Fix You, White Shadows, Talk) I'd give it credit for being less piano based than Rush of Blood, but the lyrics are mainly empty. Coldplay are still a talented group but this isn't their greatest work.
  8. Sep 21, 2013
    X&Y is another Coldplay masterpiece staying on par with the majesty of their previous record and in many ways expanding its horizon. Fix You, Speed of Sound, The Hardest Part, Talk, and White Shadows as well as many others are gripping, beautifully written and musically engrossing.
  9. Nov 16, 2011
    After critical and commercial success with their first two albums, this was the difficult third album for Coldplay. Expectations were very high from everyone and EMI were banking on it to save their year in 2005. The band delayed the release of it several times but were under pressure to get it out. You can tell that, much like U2's POP album, a few more months working on it would have made all the difference. Don't get me wrong, X & Y is very good and has some of the best songs the band have produced on it, but it's probably two tracks too long and it's overproduced. This overproduction (along with the colossal success the band enjoyed) is probably what turned many of alternative crowd off the band. Expand
  10. Sep 7, 2012
    Probably the worst Coldplay Album. When I talk of solid album, I'm talking about a set of tracks that are listenable from beggining to end. Sadly, X&Y feels so over-produced, but more importantly several songs feel like they lack a structure. I don't know If I make sense, but what I mean is that the middle-way between the choruses feel rushed. Nevertheless it still got songs like Fix You or Talk.
  11. Dec 16, 2011
    Beautiful clash of sentimentality and rock. Dreamy, yet capturing. 'Fix You' was the first song I ever heard of Coldplay - I have never forgotten the moment.
  12. Jan 15, 2012
    First of all, before I've heard 'Fix You' on this album, I've had no interest in owning a Coldplay album, and thought they were utter trash. Turns out I was wrong, and after listening to the rest of this album, starting off with 'Square One,' 'What If,' and 'Talk.' After hearing these tracks I was in dire need for more. I listened to the rest of the album was completely interested in the band and their music. If you haven't listened to Coldplay yet, and really want some nice relaxing good music, I suggest you get this. Expand
  13. Sep 22, 2012
    My personal favourite, a brilliantly crafted piece of art that holds their best hits up to date, slow or fast, sad or upbeat, it's there and I love it.
  14. Dec 16, 2012
    Grabbed me from the very start with it's meaningful lyrics and more upbeat songs. Twisted Logic sounded awful but that's about it. A great album by Coldplay which should appeal to every fan.
  15. Dec 15, 2012
    X&Y isn't a bad album it's just a disappointment after A Rush of Blood to the Head. It relies to heavily on Chris Martin's falsetto. It has some great songs on it but overall it lacks the variety of other Coldplay albums. It's good just not great.
  16. Sep 18, 2012
    Love it! They experimented intelligently with many kinds of instruments and finally released this piece of art. 'Square One', 'Talk' and 'Fix You' are the highlights.
  17. Dec 19, 2012
    This is an amazing album. I really like songs like Speed of Sound and Talk, including, these 2 songs made me be in love with Coldplay. Anyway, the best Coldplay's songs ever are in this album.
  18. Jan 7, 2014
    This is probably my favorite Coldplay album, along with Parachutes and Rush of Blood to the Head. It's really good, in my opinion, although the average reviews don't agree with me.
  19. Mar 31, 2014
    While slightly beating Mylo Xyloto, I think X&Y is honestly one of the weaker albums in my opinion. It definitely had some very good songs but really I think there was only one song that I just really liked overall of them. Most of the songs just seemed a little above average to be honest, but it's still and alright album. My favorite songs would probably have to be "What If", "Fix You" (My favorite of all) and the bonus track: "Til Kingdom Come." Expand

[Coldplay] have made their masterpiece. [Jun 2005, p.112]
  2. Confident, bold, ambitious, bunged with singles and impossible to contain, ‘X&Y’ doesn’t reinvent the wheel but it does reinforce Coldplay as the band of their time.
  3. They have chosen to opt for the standard formula: it's elegiac, mid-tempo, stadium-friendly ballads all the way.