Because the Internet - Childish Gambino
8.4

Review this album

1. Dec 10, 2013
    Everything about this album, makes this undeniably one of the best albums of the year. The amount of improvement Donald has made is unbelievably amazing and inspiring, especially considering he is a more of an independent artist. The beats are all different and unique, his lyrics and flow are spot on, and the mind blowing screenplay and story of this whole album is astonishing. Hip Hop hasEverything about this album, makes this undeniably one of the best albums of the year. The amount of improvement Donald has made is unbelievably amazing and inspiring, especially considering he is a more of an independent artist. The beats are all different and unique, his lyrics and flow are spot on, and the mind blowing screenplay and story of this whole album is astonishing. Hip Hop has new, better and wider boundaries now, thanks to the Boy. Expand
  2. Dec 10, 2013
    I think Donald has created a very involved project. I love the songs, his production across this entire record is impressive. I thought the addition of this fake "rapper rich kid/drug dealer" character was refreshing. It's a different take on a concept album, and if you enjoy the screenplay and movies he's created then you will love the album much more. Amazing work from Gambino. I loveI think Donald has created a very involved project. I love the songs, his production across this entire record is impressive. I thought the addition of this fake "rapper rich kid/drug dealer" character was refreshing. It's a different take on a concept album, and if you enjoy the screenplay and movies he's created then you will love the album much more. Amazing work from Gambino. I love the whole vibe. Expand
  3. Dec 10, 2013
    Honestly i loved camp, but this blows it out of the water overall. From the beginning to the end Gambino keeps you engaged with his unique flow and versatile singing. i'm to lazy to go into a lot of detail just know that the album is great and shows growth and a sense of experimentation. It's as if boredom is something Gambino must avoid at all cost.
  4. Dec 10, 2013
    Phenomenal. Please just give it a listen with an open mind. Lots of critics had really biased reviews, and barely even talked about the music. I wasn't a big fan of Camp, but Royalty got my attention. Then 'Bino dropped this quality, and innovating album which blew my mind. Amazing.
  5. N10
    Dec 10, 2013
    Donald Glover, or as he goes by the stage name of Childish Gambino is an actor, writer and comedian, whom a couple years back did release some tape's and also the great debut album "Camp" in 2011. Bino has since then left the huge sitcom serie "Community" and been having the major focus on his "newly" and progressing rap career. He is definitely one of the better with transitions from anDonald Glover, or as he goes by the stage name of Childish Gambino is an actor, writer and comedian, whom a couple years back did release some tape's and also the great debut album "Camp" in 2011. Bino has since then left the huge sitcom serie "Community" and been having the major focus on his "newly" and progressing rap career. He is definitely one of the better with transitions from an actor/comedian/writer to a rapper, if not the best one out there know.

He is known for his wittiness, wordplays, multiple flows, hilarious punch lines and "realness" as a rapper. As his debut had a sound it followed especially,"because of the internet" throws in a bit of every other genre outside hip hop and mixes it in to what this album sonically sounds as. It's a pretty cohesive record, musically something I've not heared quite like, a breath off fresh air with fun and dark themes over this project. Rich and creepy (the latter half) production by the two behind the boards (Ludwig Göransson, Childish Gambino), catchy hooks and really well written and constructed songs, one of the best albums to come this year, if not, the.

For every track that goes by the beats starts getting really experimental with a lot of flavor of everything, and with the heavy instrumentals on songs like "zealots of stockholm" I can't help to nod my head.

A year where rap (mainstream) music has been failing and disappointing me with albums such as Kanye's "Yeezus" and Drake's "Nothing Was The Same" for an example, it just sounded too much for me, just going out there to make different records and not very good ones. As much as Kanye brought some new to the mainstream, it's not like I haven't heared it on a Death Grips album and with Drake far as he goes, he's song writing was the better with the album while his rapping was lacking (people hailed him as a rapper on this thing, personally a much more complete rapper on Take Care, still appreciate what he strives and try going for), their production mostly was on point and great, lyrically it was their biggest gap and did not make them albums any further better with that. Why I refer these two, well, their albums where the most acclaimed, but just not so much with me. Ain't no so to say, I loved their precursor.

This project is and will be underrated for some reason by critics (at least with these days to come), but, this will be the album we "I" will look back to in a couple of years from know and be like "uh, ish dope and original to it's box". One of the most exciting and interesting records I've heared in this past decade or so.

Bino is the best rapper out there to sing and the best singer to rap, OUT, period!
    Great artist, "because the internet" is a damn near flawless album. Support.

Fella need a nap, maybe a longer and track-by-track later on.
  6. Dec 10, 2013
    Great album. Because the Internet is my favorite album of 2013, along with Acid Rap (Chance the Rapper). This album is great by itself, but if you listen to it with the screenplay (it can be found at becausetheinter.net), it takes everything to a different level of amazing.
  7. Dec 10, 2013
    Because the Internet takes the best from Culdesac, Camp, and Royalty is puts them all together to create one of the most engaging and emotional music experiences of the year. Fans that know Gambino only from Camp will not have as enjoyable and rewarding of an experience because they don't know the 'true' Gambino, that being his 'real' lyrics and dark emotional overtones in his songs ofBecause the Internet takes the best from Culdesac, Camp, and Royalty is puts them all together to create one of the most engaging and emotional music experiences of the year. Fans that know Gambino only from Camp will not have as enjoyable and rewarding of an experience because they don't know the 'true' Gambino, that being his 'real' lyrics and dark emotional overtones in his songs of past such as Be Alone or The Last (still my personal favorite). To further enjoy BTI, one most read his interactive BTI Script that is online. I'll admit, I just liked BTI until I read the screenplay penned for the album. Now I see how it is one of the most engrossing musical experience I've ever had. Gambino is changing the game, people just can't seem to take notice of it. Expand
  8. Dec 10, 2013
    This album is amazing. From the music to the storyline it is an all around 10. Donald Glover has created THE most creative rollout for an album. Take the time to watch the short film, Clapping for the Wrong Reasons, watch some pre album interviews, then read the full screenplay on becausetheinter.net. This is how the artist intended on people to listen to his album. He has stated manyThis album is amazing. From the music to the storyline it is an all around 10. Donald Glover has created THE most creative rollout for an album. Take the time to watch the short film, Clapping for the Wrong Reasons, watch some pre album interviews, then read the full screenplay on becausetheinter.net. This is how the artist intended on people to listen to his album. He has stated many times he isn't just a rapper. He doesn't want to be labeled that. Before you go and hate on this album do some research. This is my favorite album that has been released this year, beating Yeezus. Go out and check out the deluxe physical. It's really nice. Expand
  9. Dec 11, 2013
    Childish Gambino really shows how much he's improved with this album. From his flow to his lyrics, it's a vast improvement that is instantly seen by comparison to some of his debut albums and even Camp. It's got real lyrics, sick beats (some comparable to Royalty), and still manages to keep some of his good one-liners. The accompanied screenplay is also a great bonus. Definitely one of theChildish Gambino really shows how much he's improved with this album. From his flow to his lyrics, it's a vast improvement that is instantly seen by comparison to some of his debut albums and even Camp. It's got real lyrics, sick beats (some comparable to Royalty), and still manages to keep some of his good one-liners. The accompanied screenplay is also a great bonus. Definitely one of the best albums of 2013. Expand
  10. Dec 12, 2013
    This is my favorite album of the year. Gambino really improved upon his singing and U can hear the Kanye influence. I also hear a bit Maxwell, Frank Ocean, and Andre 3000 too. But the fact is this is the album of the year. He took Kanye, Frank, and whatever other influences you hear and IMPROVED upon it. He has the innovative sound of Yeezus, with the catchiness of Frank Ocean and itThis is my favorite album of the year. Gambino really improved upon his singing and U can hear the Kanye influence. I also hear a bit Maxwell, Frank Ocean, and Andre 3000 too. But the fact is this is the album of the year. He took Kanye, Frank, and whatever other influences you hear and IMPROVED upon it. He has the innovative sound of Yeezus, with the catchiness of Frank Ocean and it still sounds original. He even wrote a screenplay for the album so it all makes sense.

People think it's cool to hate Gambino and I even read a review that talked nothing about the music and all about Donald as a person.(I'm looking at you Consequence of Sound) But you can't deny he had one of the most imaginative roll outs ever. He literally created his own world for the album.

The perks of being a multi-talent.
  11. Dec 15, 2013
    Sounds like any other modern rap artist. How about some Innovation? Beats that create an empty sound and bore me to death. His flow is OK, but becomes choppy at certain times.
  12. Dec 10, 2013
    This is the best album Donald Glover has ever made and is one of the most unique and fascinating albums of the year. It's a hip-hop album the way Radiohead's Kid A is a rock album.
  13. Dec 11, 2013
    Everyone will forget this album in 2 weeks when the next fad-artist comes along to visit the lowest common denominator. This guy is so desperate for attention it's cringe-worthy. Has he even used the internet before? He should know it's better to release nothing than something mediocre and now he's done that two times in a row. Enjoy being used as marking point for self-important andEveryone will forget this album in 2 weeks when the next fad-artist comes along to visit the lowest common denominator. This guy is so desperate for attention it's cringe-worthy. Has he even used the internet before? He should know it's better to release nothing than something mediocre and now he's done that two times in a row. Enjoy being used as marking point for self-important and entitled rappers, Donald. Expand
  14. Dec 10, 2013
    love this album...wasnt expecting much from this...i had only seen his acting but this is def one of my favorite rap albums of the year. Shadows, 3005, sweatpants, worldstar, all dope songs
  15. Dec 12, 2013
    It's easy to hate Gambino.
    It's easy to give this album a bad score and get the approval of critics, who all have given this album a bad score.
    Without listening to the album in depth, I'm going to write a review about Donald as a person, and give it a 3/10, because everyone else does it as well. Maybe critics should care less about liking an album made by a 'hipster', and actually
    It's easy to hate Gambino.

Maybe critics should care less about liking an album made by a 'hipster', and actually review the quality of the music. This is by far Donald's greatest work yet. (I'd give camp a 6-7/10), and critics are complaining about Donald as a person, rather than as a musician. From my point of view, I'm hearing great music, and instead of believing the 'professional' critics, I suggest giving the album a chance.

Favourite Tracks: WORLDSTAR, The Worst Guys, Telegraph Ave., Flight of the Navigator, Zealots of Stockholm (FREE INFORMATION), Life: The Biggest troll [Andrew Auernheimer]

Least Favourite Track: 3005
  16. Feb 21, 2014
    Gambino redefines rap with his new hit album. It intertwines with his written story that becomes a rap masterpiece. He mixes his comedic genius with deep emotional lyrics to become a rapper for the ages. Gambino somehow outdoes himself with this legend of rap that is so new and unique that you can't hate it. Childish Gambino's "Because the Internet" will be remembered in the world of rapGambino redefines rap with his new hit album. It intertwines with his written story that becomes a rap masterpiece. He mixes his comedic genius with deep emotional lyrics to become a rapper for the ages. Gambino somehow outdoes himself with this legend of rap that is so new and unique that you can't hate it. Childish Gambino's "Because the Internet" will be remembered in the world of rap for a long time. I can't wait to see what he does next. Expand
  17. Dec 10, 2013
    Donald Glover has revolutionized concept albums with Because The Internet. Along with literally living out the character of "The Boy" that the story of this album is based on for the past year, having brief "skits" in some tracks to add to the realism of The Boy's life, and completely capturing the timid, anxious, and sporadic personality of the boy; he also wrote a 72 page interactiveDonald Glover has revolutionized concept albums with Because The Internet. Along with literally living out the character of "The Boy" that the story of this album is based on for the past year, having brief "skits" in some tracks to add to the realism of The Boy's life, and completely capturing the timid, anxious, and sporadic personality of the boy; he also wrote a 72 page interactive online screenplay to go along with the album. Safe to say a skit about Domino's pizza has nothing on this man's creative authority. The production on this album is much improved and very inventive compared to the typical trap beats heard on the radio. "Crawl" not only features an incredibly well done beat, but an addictive chorus and an eerie vibe. "WorldStar" captures the instantaneous coverage and media overload that we encounter on the web every day in this generation. "Sweatpants" has one of the best "textbook" flows of any song I've heard in the past few years in hip hop, along with songs like "No Exits" expanding the creative side of rap, and almost giving a dazed acid washed vision of being infatuated and afraid of yourself and your immediate surroundings. The last song I'd like to touch on is "Flight of the Navigator"; it is truly one of the most beautiful songs and sends me to a meadow on some perfect world, with friends, drinks, and truly a deep happiness burning inside of me. Every song on this album is a gem, but I'd recommend for anyone who wants to branch out of their usual brand of hip hop, or any genre truly, to check out this album. Expand
  18. Dec 11, 2013
    This is a very amazing album. It is pretty experimental, and it's an acquired taste. But this is definitely one of my favorite albums of the year. And the content is just so relateable and deep. The internet seems to hate Gambino strictly because of "Camp." But this is a monster improvement. I love this album, and most people that respect art and good music, will like this too.
  19. Dec 10, 2013
    One of the most creative experiences I've had the pleasure to witness in a while. He's created a whole world centered around "The Boy" that rests on the aura of spectacular creativity. The album itself is amazing. When you add in the screenplay as well as his short film "Clapping for the Wrong Reasons" to the equation, you start to connect this long woven and complex thread that makes yourOne of the most creative experiences I've had the pleasure to witness in a while. He's created a whole world centered around "The Boy" that rests on the aura of spectacular creativity. The album itself is amazing. When you add in the screenplay as well as his short film "Clapping for the Wrong Reasons" to the equation, you start to connect this long woven and complex thread that makes your brain wonder how something this genius could be created. Expand
  20. Dec 13, 2013
    Great conceptual work. Because the Internet is such a personal album but it has the power to reach great highs when understood. It may try patience... but we're rewarded after all.
  21. Dec 11, 2013
    One of the best albums I've heard this year. Don't listen to the critics, they talk a lot of BS. My favorite song on this album is "The Worst Guys".....
  22. Dec 11, 2013
    This has to be my favorite album of this year because he took a concept that we all know and made it different and succeeded .For me, the album didn't have any skipable tracks which was a surprise because in every album I have listen to this year had skipable tracks, but this didn't. Gambino has been called a water down Drake but if you think about it he has better wordplay then drakeThis has to be my favorite album of this year because he took a concept that we all know and made it different and succeeded .For me, the album didn't have any skipable tracks which was a surprise because in every album I have listen to this year had skipable tracks, but this didn't. Gambino has been called a water down Drake but if you think about it he has better wordplay then drake ,he also can sing better then Drake. Beats in this album are fantastic and mesmerizing if this album was just beats ,this album would have the same outcome with me because they are that good., Overall this album is better then his previous project and is a most hear for everybody for hip hop heads and no hip hop heads Expand
  23. Jul 30, 2014
    Because the Internet is a beautifully artistic (yet undeniably flawed) album. Gambino is at his best when his character's mind is introspectively wandering the heavens. In a genre filled with posers, Childish Gambino Kanye-ishly created something different and bizarre. ~ 8.4/10

Best track: "I. The Party": the imagery, the tension, the singing, the brief rap verse Other notable

Other notable tracks: "I. Crawl", "II. Worldstar", "I. Flight Of The Navigator", "II. Zealots Of Stockholm (Free Information)", "II. Earth: The Oldest Computer (The Last Night)" & "III. Life: The Biggest Troll (Andrew Auernheimer)"
  24. Dec 10, 2013
    CG made a huge leap forward with this album. I find that Because the Internet sounds better after watching Clapping for the Wrong Reasons and reading the screenplay. It's very creative and top tier!
  25. Mar 9, 2014
    I have been non stop playing this album. You take something more away from it every time, and that is the point where this project shines through as amazing. The attention to detail with wordplay and symbolism is nothing short of brilliant. I need not talk about the innovative and creative production, with tracks like Telegraph Ave, Zealots of Stockholm, No Exit, and Crawl instilling rawI have been non stop playing this album. You take something more away from it every time, and that is the point where this project shines through as amazing. The attention to detail with wordplay and symbolism is nothing short of brilliant. I need not talk about the innovative and creative production, with tracks like Telegraph Ave, Zealots of Stockholm, No Exit, and Crawl instilling raw emotion in the listener. Gambino has stepped his game up, and it says something that this is the first album I ever listened to that gave me chills at the end. There is a bit of controversy about a screenplay being written for this album. Do not read the script. This album is about having an experience and not being force fed all of the information. This is a flawless project and this proves Gambino as more than just a punch line rapper. Expand
  26. Dec 11, 2013
    Because The Internet sees Glover finally putting everything he's learned from making EP, Camp, & Royalty into one great big experimental package. He's finally comfortable with his technical rapping abilities and (with the help of others) his beat making abilities. The script adds another element to the album that I love because after you read it, every time you play the album it's likeBecause The Internet sees Glover finally putting everything he's learned from making EP, Camp, & Royalty into one great big experimental package. He's finally comfortable with his technical rapping abilities and (with the help of others) his beat making abilities. The script adds another element to the album that I love because after you read it, every time you play the album it's like having visuals in your head. The only downfall to the album is that without the script it's hard to really follow the story. Expand
  27. Jun 14, 2014
    i appreciate everything about this album and Donald himself- the immense effort and honesty put into this album. Everything is relatable to your life and not just if you're a celebrity. I believe that was the whole point about his Instragram posts. It might need a couple of times to listen too, since it's an experimental and personal album, but you will end up appreciating it as art, noti appreciate everything about this album and Donald himself- the immense effort and honesty put into this album. Everything is relatable to your life and not just if you're a celebrity. I believe that was the whole point about his Instragram posts. It might need a couple of times to listen too, since it's an experimental and personal album, but you will end up appreciating it as art, not just music. This album could be the next step in the right direction for a crumbling music industry. This album could definitely be the next level as music is concerned, and definitely in the genre of rap. Also, the flow and lyrics showcased on several tracks, including Zealots of Stockholm and Sweatpants proves undeniable mastery and brilliance added to an album that tells a wonderful, brutally true story. The clapping for the wrong reasons short film and screenplay shows a true sense of ambition, in which i admire and respect. Forever my favorite album and artist. Give this a lesson. Please. Expand
  28. Oct 11, 2014
    This album is amazing it is filled with well produced instrumentals to the songs Gambino also dabbles into some new flows with this album that he delivered very well, the features (Problem, Chance the Rapper, Jhene Aiko) are on point. But the best way to listen to the album and get a full understanding and visual of what he's saying read the script, becausetheinter.net
  29. Dec 10, 2013
    This album deserves to be in the conservation as one of the best Hip-Hop/Rap albums of the year, but in many ways it is more than that. There is a true authentic voice within the music, something that many rap artists lack these days. Even though it may not be your typical "hardcore" authenticity, it is still his true take on life at the current moment. Musically, it brings a heavierThis album deserves to be in the conservation as one of the best Hip-Hop/Rap albums of the year, but in many ways it is more than that. There is a true authentic voice within the music, something that many rap artists lack these days. Even though it may not be your typical "hardcore" authenticity, it is still his true take on life at the current moment. Musically, it brings a heavier flavor then Camp and the beats are similar to that of Royalty. The punchlines that make him unique are still there, but the tone has gone down a more serious route. Although the music is great, the way he ties the album to the 72-page screenplay is incredible. He entranced me with the beats into the "the boy's" point of view and how lost he felt throughout the story.

Cant Miss Tracks: Telegraph Ave., Flight of the Navigator
  30. Dec 10, 2013
    I'm not a fan of hip hop/ Rap I'm more of a rock and indie guy and i actually like This dudes music! his new album is experimental (in the way that many of his songs range from hip hop beats, to having guitar, dustep or electro synths) it feels weird in a good way, there are many short songs though that just feel like fillers (they're 30 seconds to 1:30 long) But there's also a few goodI'm not a fan of hip hop/ Rap I'm more of a rock and indie guy and i actually like This dudes music! his new album is experimental (in the way that many of his songs range from hip hop beats, to having guitar, dustep or electro synths) it feels weird in a good way, there are many short songs though that just feel like fillers (they're 30 seconds to 1:30 long) But there's also a few good ones. My favorite tracks are Flight of the navigator, 3005, no exit, Zealots of stockholm) Also CG includes a scrip and a few videos to go along with his album because it all connects to eachother and makes your overall listening experience better! and i like that its very new, interesting unique. MY GRADE IS A HIGH 6.5 low 7. In my opinion CHildish Gambino stands out from all the mainstream cliched hip hop acts. Expand
  31. Dec 10, 2013
    I felt Donald's latest was definitely worth the hype. It's creative, catchy, and definitely an experimental album, proving that Gambino can do a variety of styles and show off his potential successfully. I Definitely felt because the internet was a huge step up from his camp album, but truthfully a step back and somewhat of a bummer compared to his royalty mix tape. Overall, because theI felt Donald's latest was definitely worth the hype. It's creative, catchy, and definitely an experimental album, proving that Gambino can do a variety of styles and show off his potential successfully. I Definitely felt because the internet was a huge step up from his camp album, but truthfully a step back and somewhat of a bummer compared to his royalty mix tape. Overall, because the internet is easily one of my favorites this year and a great way to end 2013 Expand
  32. Dec 11, 2013
    I don't listen to a lot of Hip-Hop/Rap but this guy is seriously talented. This album is amazing. The lyrics and flow of his raps are miles above most mainstream rap artists today. The production is slick and clean and the songs have twists and turns you would not expect to fit, yet they do. This album is a rap masterpiece in my opinion and I'm excited to see where he goes next.
  33. Dec 11, 2013
    Greatest concept album to date. My advice is to read the screenplay while listening to the album, really creates an experience to remember. Combines everything good about Yeezus with everything good about Chanel Orange. Simply amazing experience. There is definitely a song on this album for everyone.
  34. Dec 18, 2013
    Gambino continues to grow and impress with his newest album. Rap typically isn't too appealing, but Gambino makes me listen because he wants to make a point. There's always something a little deeper on every song. Definitely one of the strongest albums of the year.
  35. Jan 15, 2014
    Every track on this album is truly amazing and original. The multi talented Glover comes through on this album with amazing production quality. Like truly beautiful stuff here. The song "3005" is probably getting the most buzz around. Even getting some radio play, which is a little odd for Gambino's music. Some of my favorite tracks on the album are: Zealots of Stockholm, Crawl, The Party,Every track on this album is truly amazing and original. The multi talented Glover comes through on this album with amazing production quality. Like truly beautiful stuff here. The song "3005" is probably getting the most buzz around. Even getting some radio play, which is a little odd for Gambino's music. Some of my favorite tracks on the album are: Zealots of Stockholm, Crawl, The Party, and Pink Toes. He also got some great features on this album. People like Chance the Rapper and Jhene Aiko. All and all this is one of my favorite albums of 2013 Expand
  36. Dec 27, 2013
    On first listen, I thought it was just a little too weird. A few fast paced classic Gambino type songs, but a lot of songs that brought on a feeling of melancholy. Then the second listen, and third, and so on happened. The album really grows on you. It flows really well and there are some really interesting tracks. I particularly like the way the album finishes (the last 3 tracks).
  37. Jan 16, 2014
    The first time I heard Childish Gambino was on a Trinidad James track and I was blown away by his flow because he took that track and ran it. I was interested enough to pick up his latest project Because The Internet. After listening to it, there are some enjoyable bass sessions in the earlier tracks and it is quite low tempo but it's done well. This album really reminded me of FrankThe first time I heard Childish Gambino was on a Trinidad James track and I was blown away by his flow because he took that track and ran it. I was interested enough to pick up his latest project Because The Internet. After listening to it, there are some enjoyable bass sessions in the earlier tracks and it is quite low tempo but it's done well. This album really reminded me of Frank Ocean's Channel Orange which I thought was a successful album, and this was no exclusion. I enjoyed this album, it's different, it was executed well and Gambino's flow was continuously flawless. Expand
  38. Mar 16, 2014
    this album is years beyond todays music. not only is the concept something so innovative and REAL, but something that makes you think. It makes you think about the internet..something we all use and has integrated its way into all of our lives and our world. On top of that, he is a great rapper with incredible beats and perfectly fit production. This is an album that will stay one of mythis album is years beyond todays music. not only is the concept something so innovative and REAL, but something that makes you think. It makes you think about the internet..something we all use and has integrated its way into all of our lives and our world. On top of that, he is a great rapper with incredible beats and perfectly fit production. This is an album that will stay one of my personal favorites Expand
  39. Mar 5, 2014
    Progress alone this album is a dope. The effort is there, the innovation is there and the elevation swag for lack of a better term is on point. A little emo, a little swag, and actual real words and thoughts make it awesome. Doors left open
  40. Apr 24, 2014
    My favorite album of 2013 !
    This album is so deep, it has so many layers. At first I didn't like it THAT much, but the more you get into it, the more you dig into the stories and the more you understand the lyrics the better it gets.
    The instrumentals are awesome and so divers, his lyrics and flow are great, and despite what others say, I really like the singing on this album. Fav.
    My favorite album of 2013 !
    Fav. Songs:
    1. Life: The Biggest Troll
    2. Telegraph Ave.
    3. ... what am I doing? All of the songs are amazing !
    ( watch the review Dead End Hip Hop did for this album! )
  41. Sep 8, 2014
    One of the better albums out there. This was an experimental album, but he delivered, and covered different types of hip hop. The end of the album is very experimental, but follows through with the overall theme that Gambino delivers throughout the whole album. If you only like listening to some songs and not the whole album straight through, I recommend 3005, The Other Guys, Sweatpants,One of the better albums out there. This was an experimental album, but he delivered, and covered different types of hip hop. The end of the album is very experimental, but follows through with the overall theme that Gambino delivers throughout the whole album. If you only like listening to some songs and not the whole album straight through, I recommend 3005, The Other Guys, Sweatpants, and Telegraph Rd. Overall, this album is a beautiful piece of artwork, and if you can see him live, I HIGHLY recommend it. One of the best live performers out there. Expand
  42. Nov 6, 2014
    A rather mysterious, yet relatable album from Gambino. He's done it again, with cool beats, strange vibes, and even stranger lyrics. I love it. An overall great album from an overall great rapper, actor, and comedian. (favorite songs: 3005, The Crawl, Sweatpants)
  43. Sep 26, 2014
    I love this album, the way each song flows into the next. The production is brilliant, trap-y but approachable, and I've listened to it straight through dozens of times. But what I've found is that there are only a few songs on the record that stand as their own song. The vast majority only make sense if you've read Glover's screenplay (which is itself just Glover setting himself as theI love this album, the way each song flows into the next. The production is brilliant, trap-y but approachable, and I've listened to it straight through dozens of times. But what I've found is that there are only a few songs on the record that stand as their own song. The vast majority only make sense if you've read Glover's screenplay (which is itself just Glover setting himself as the lead in "Catcher in the Rye") and where the song falls into place in the album. Still, the production is amazing and the writing features Donald at his wittiest, but can also fall into cliches or unnecessarily esoteric effects. All in all, an amazing album, perfect for getting stoned to, filled with mostly mediocre songs. Also, Chance the Rapper is featured, but only provides half the hook for "The Worst Guys", so that's a bit of a let-down.

Favorite song: "Telegraph Ave", easily, but that entire series ("Dial Up", "The Worst Guys", "Shadows", "Telegraph Ave', "Sweatpants", and "3005")
  44. Oct 31, 2014
    This album seems to be underrated by skeptics and misunderstood by critics. The album is different than most rap albums; that is without question. Honestly, I wouldn't exactly consider this a rap album. I feel that the need to classify an album under a single genre is a bit arbitrary--it has a purpose, but is largely unnecessary. Most Gambino fans will enjoy and probably learn to love thisThis album seems to be underrated by skeptics and misunderstood by critics. The album is different than most rap albums; that is without question. Honestly, I wouldn't exactly consider this a rap album. I feel that the need to classify an album under a single genre is a bit arbitrary--it has a purpose, but is largely unnecessary. Most Gambino fans will enjoy and probably learn to love this album. Critics are calling it 'random," but I find that the theme and message is consistent throughout; that is, loneliness and anonymity. The internet is a realm where every voice can make noise, yet none be heard. A place where a person with no reputation, and no respect, can contribute to the review of a musical album. Critics are looking too much for a social commentary on the internet, and less at how CG cites and portrays the personal feelings the internet evokes. The album tells the first person story of a damaged character; a character damaged because the internet. Expand
  45. Nov 17, 2014
    Because the Internet is, in my mind, a very interesting album. Glover showcases his ideas throughout this entire album, creating a story throughout it. Glover is very introspective with his ideas of society and the Internet in songs like "Zealots of Stockholm" and "Earth: The Oldest Computer." He also shows off his R&B side in songs like "Shadows" and "Pink Toes". Not only did I enjoy theBecause the Internet is, in my mind, a very interesting album. Glover showcases his ideas throughout this entire album, creating a story throughout it. Glover is very introspective with his ideas of society and the Internet in songs like "Zealots of Stockholm" and "Earth: The Oldest Computer." He also shows off his R&B side in songs like "Shadows" and "Pink Toes". Not only did I enjoy the album, but I also enjoyed the screenplay written by Glover of the same title. Yes, there were one or two low-points in the album, but the entire album isn't going to be perfect. Glover has stated himself that he's not trying to be a rapper, that this is just a part of his artistic process. With all of that in mind, this is a pretty dam good rap album from a "non-rapper". Expand

1. Jan 28, 2014
    This is a luxurious but ultimately hollow Faberge egg of a record. [Feb 2014, p.121]
  2. Jan 8, 2014
    Because The Internet stands on its own musically. The project undoubtedly stands much taller when put in context of all the additional material released in order to create something bigger. [Dec 2013/Jan 2014, p.89]
  3. Jan 3, 2014
    As a concept album on man's most abstract concept, Because the Internet is more than worth the download.