In Rainbows - Radiohead
9.2

Review this album

1. j30
    Aug 11, 2011
    A perfect album and one of the best albums of the decade. This is one of those albums you'll look back on and remember the exact time and place you first listened to it. It's a record that changed the music industry forever by asking consumers how much their music meant to them. Apparently a lot, because the album went number 1 on music charts when the cd copy came out. It's kind of funny to think that this album didn't win "Album of the Year" at the Grammy's. Expand
  2. Sep 22, 2010
    Like all their albums, this is experimentalism gone bad. They have very little to say, so they keep repeating themselves. Yuck. Unfortunately my girlfriend likes this crap so I am forced to endure more often than I care to recall...
  3. Oct 5, 2010
    Song for song, likely my favorite Radiohead album: there isn't a single mediocre track on the album. I bought it when they originally offered it for whatever you wanted to pay (I believe I put in 5 pounds, something like 10-11 dollars then). This is the first Radiohead album I ever listened to (have bought all the others except Amnesiac since then) and it still continues to amaze me with the quality of the music. It's often been described as a "lush" album, and I couldn't think of a better word. The album is an interesting counter to the cold sadness of "Kid A". I love electronic rhythms of Kid A, but it's nice to see Radiohead come full circle from the experimentation of that album to a more familiar sound that still stands apart from the rest. Expand
  4. Jul 8, 2011
    Deep, powerful, electronic, jazzy, experimental, dark. This album may be a contender to be Radiohead's best album. Kid A and Amnesiac just got some competition...
  5. Nov 1, 2012
    It's difficult to know where to start with this album. For me it's Radiohead's finest hour. Beautiful melodies, stunning compositions and a fluidity that is unparalleled. It flows. It really does. From one track to another it brings out a sense of wonder and connectivity that you rarely find these days. I've seen Radiohead live many many times and every time I hear one of these tracks it gets better and better and better. Radiohead are without doubt the greatest band of our generation and I challenge you to find better. Expand
  6. Sep 5, 2010
    It's a great album, but I think Radiohead has done better. I like how it's much different from what they've done before, but I hope they go back to melting faces on the next record
  7. Sep 5, 2010
    another amazing album by radiohead. this album is very diverse and has that ok computer- rock feel to it, and thats what makes it good. i cant stop listening. easily one of the best albums of the 21 century.
  8. Sep 7, 2010
    a truly great album, start to finish full of atmosphere and gloom, every song reflects a deep feeling and provokes happiness, sadness or depression. great album.
  9. Sep 7, 2010
    Another perfect Radiohead album. Absolutely beautiful. First listen is amazing and it improves with each subsequent one. Songs like "All I Need" and "Reckoner" especially impress, and the album doesn't have a weak spot.
  10. Mar 16, 2011
    Most artists go through their career not achieving the greatest albums of all time. Radiohead did it THREE times. OK Computer. Kid A. In Rainbows. For nearly five years, the riff from "Bodysnatchers" is still scratching in my brain ever since. This album is a masterpiece. I'm not joking.
  11. Oct 8, 2010
    maybe its not their most revolutionery album...but its certainly their loveliest and cachiest one.
    every single track is right thing to hear.....and headphone effects just blow your mind...... in fact its just an amazing masterpiece!
  12. Mar 1, 2011
    In Rainbows is Radiohead's second best album. (Kid A being first). It sounds like nothing you'll ever hear. Really smooth and soft on the ears. Thom Yorke's beautiful voice sings his most intense love songs ever. "All I Need" is a perfect example of that. All In All, Radiohead have created a great album once again. A-
  13. Apr 13, 2011
    IN RAINBOWS will be remembered for the marketing scheme to promote the album. The album itself is only ten tracks, none that demonstrate innovation or creativity that Radiohead were once known for. It's not ambitious as all it gives the listener a collection of love songs that pose beauty but no emotional depth. It starts off with '15 Step' a song that combines electronic with Radiohead's now distinct lack of instruments. The song is largely forgettable, destined to be a skipper due to the directionless noise on the track that lacks of the depth of previous Radiohead tracks such as 'National Anthem.' Following it is 'Bodysnatchers' and 'Nude,' both two beautiful tracks that are highlights. Both, thankfully, are stripped down by the pretensions of the last two Radiohead albums and give the fans interesting and versatile tracks. The start of 'Nude' has beauty written all over it. Unfortunately, the rest of the album falls into dullness, and it feels that In Rainbows never reaches a climatic high of any sort. Whilst tracks such as 'All I Need' and 'Videotape' are amazing in their own ways and highlights, they are just songs that become tiresome. In Rainbows is a frustrating listen, one that will disappoint, lacks the beauty it tries to convey, comes across as self- indulgent and is reckless in it's lack of originality. Radiohead may be pushing forward in the promotion stakes, but musically wise, they are similar to a runner who spends too long of his time at the water stand. Expand
  14. Dec 19, 2010
    SIMPLY BEAUTIFUL.
    I have to admit that I'm more into heavy rock than any other genre, but with this album I can just relax in my couch at midday with my eyes closed and the sunlight illuminating the living room and feel so peaceful and calm that it works as a therapy for me. there are just a few albums that I can really listen to from start to finish without feeling the need to skip songs
    and this is one of them. although it took me a while to realize the power and perfection of this album (I bought the album to listen to Videotape) now it's become one of the few albums I keep in my mp3 player, car, stereo and pc at all times. Expand
  15. Feb 12, 2011
    I loved this. It's my favorite Radiohead, second to OK Conputer. This is different than most music out there. I recommend this for people who like alternative and indie rock.
  16. Feb 14, 2011
    Although Radiohead has developed somewhat of a reputation for being everybody's favorite (really that means everyone who is into their variety of music), this does not mean that they should be written off in any way. They produce what is quite possibly the best music I've come across to date. In Rainbows is them at their best.
  17. Feb 24, 2011
    Though it has some weak tracks like Reckoner and Faust Arp, the rest of the album is very solid. Easily one of Radioheads most colorful and beautiful albums. You can feel the level of personality and warmth thom yorke and the rest of the band puts in the songs.
  18. Mar 9, 2011
    I'm a diehard fan, but even a few years later I am split on this album. In comparison to their prior work, this album doesn't do as much for me. The over-orchestration, the pointless Faust ARP, the mediocre guitar throwback of Bodysnatchers, this annoyingly paced Videotape, the excellent Go Slowly left to rot on a second disc of throwaways... Yet somehow, it all works. In the right mood, on a lovely day, this album is incredibly satisfying, even refreshing, and song after song send shivers down my spine. By far their most accessible album since The Bends, it's sometimes overly sentimental and downright gushy at points. The climaxes are almost annoyingly affective, like a cheap thrill ending up better than you anticipate. But so was "High & Dry", dammit. And that was the song that made me a fan. So maybe it isn't full of mind-bending experiments. It's still pretty great. It will never be my favorite, but despite my complaints, this album just works. Listen to it with the love of your life. Expand
  19. Mar 12, 2011
    Writing this in 2011 I can honestly say this is the album that best represents the 2000-09 decade. Tracks like Nude, Weird Fishes/Arpeggi, and Videotape show Radiohead at their most raw emotionally.
  20. May 7, 2011
    Absolutely stunning from start to finish - there is not a dull or skippable track in my opinion. In every way this is a perfect album: I can't fault it.
  21. May 6, 2011
    radiohead has no bad albums but this album is breakthrough self-released which had a pay what you want system.radiohead is a people's band true artist.this album is honestly almost perfect.not to mention way they incorporated the fans in there music.
  22. Jun 25, 2011
    To all you **** giving negative scores...You really are idiots, enough said.
    One of the finest albums ever written and recorded. Highly recommended
  23. Jul 7, 2011
    A beautiful, innovative mixture of rhythms, sounds, and much more. Everything flowed together best in this album than past albums. It's Radiohead's high point for me as of now. I still can not pick my favorite song, and if that happens it means the album definitely has potential... and it does!
  24. Aug 31, 2011
    One of those perfect albums. Every song is memorable in some way, the lyrics are amazing, and the band plays their instruments flawlessly. Definitely the best album in the past 10 years and Radiohead's best work yet.
  25. Aug 7, 2011
    This is a fantastic album, there are two songs that I'm not quite feeling, but they're not bad songs. This is Radiohead at their best, and Radiohead at their best is Alternative Rock at its best imo. From 15 step to Weird Fishes/Arpeggi is perfection. All I need is a decent song, but night quite as good as the four before it. Faust Arp is short and sweet and wonderful. Reckoner is probably my second favorite song on the album after the stellar weird fishes/arpeggi and then we get House of Cards. Probably my least favorite song on the album, but still one I can never skip. The last two songs, Jigsaw Falling into place and videotape are polar opposites, but both wonderful. I can't praise this album enough. Expand
  26. Aug 7, 2011
    A stunning album all the way through. Transcends any specific genre placement. In Rainbows gets better with every play and is a consistent experience without ever providing the same sound twice. As usual, Thom Yorke provides amazing and insightful lyrics. The album progresses in an entirely natural way starting with the upbeat 15 Step and closing with the surreal Videotape. A standout track would have to be Jigsaw Falling Into Place but because this album is strong beginning to end that choice is subject to change on a daily basis. Just a beautiful experience. Expand
  27. Aug 31, 2011
    Oh we all know Radiohead. Describe it however you want it wether you'd say beautiful, crazy, incredible, original, etc/ This album and this band is a masterful work of art
  28. Aug 17, 2011
    Radiohead was reached its maturity, making the perfect balance of synths, acoustic instruments and hard driven guitars. The feeling is so true, honest, sad, melancholic; makes me think they still leave music flow through their feelings to create what we have now in this album. This is my favorite album of the decade and a one that defined this time of my life. Thanks Radiohead for such a great album. Expand
  29. Jan 8, 2013
    A fully-realized new style for Radiohead in '07 lead to one of the best albums ever made, a rich, textural paradigm appropriately composed of an emotional juxtaposition of equal parts melancholy and joyous exploration of new ideas, new feelings. Instrumentally, you can't do better and Thom's voice on this thing has literally brought me to tears.
  30. Sep 18, 2011
    As for yes this is true Radiohead as always with always changing rhymes, clearer and sophomore instruments making our brain constantly searching for something. The talent of the band's members here comes to life in a strategic way to make us feel hidden pleasures, desires and wants.

Concluding in a great Radiohead way.
  31. Apr 13, 2012
    A set in stone classic in my opinion. Undoubtedly one of the albums of the 00's. 10 tracks and not a weak one to be found - Faust Arp is the only thing that is not completely sublime on it. This Radiohead's strongest work since Kid A. 15 Steps, Nude, All I Need, Reckoner are all masterpieces. Perfectly balances the best parts of old and new Radiohead, rhythmic experimentation with tunes and melodies. Phenomenal. Expand
  32. Nov 6, 2011
    There's just something about this album. Each song is unique, but somehow connect. Vastly underrated when compared with Kid A and OK Computer. Where each of these albums had amazing high points, they both had some forgettable tracks. This album has spread its genius out throughout the whole album, peaking with "Reckoner", one of the most haunting songs ever recorded.
  33. Nov 15, 2011
    Outstanding, as expected. Probably Radiohead's most accessible effort; definitely good to start with if you're looking to get into them.
  34. Nov 15, 2011
    Brilliant, brilliant album. It is almost odd at first to hear such personal Radiohead lyrics, but the warmth, missing from other albums brings you back to this one again and again. If I was to have a criticism it would be that, upon first listen, no track really jumps out at you as 'fantastic.' Yet, after two, three, four, five... listens they all jump out together, making this one of the best albums of that decade. Expand
  35. Nov 16, 2011
    What can I say about this album that hasn't already been said? This is Radiohead's most colorful album, and every track has a lot of enjoyment value.
  36. Jan 28, 2012
    Radiohead once again made â
  37. Feb 11, 2012
    Unbelievably good , in every sense. I've never heard emotion expressed in music in a more beautiful way. The greatest album Radiohead have ever made.
  38. Feb 17, 2012
    One of the boiling points of modern music. Absolutely stunning renditions of the finest pieces of music ever written.
  39. May 14, 2012
    it was nice to hear radiohead return to playing together again. after all hail to the thief, thom got out of the band's way with his little solo record, and it's nice to see what came of it. this band plays well together in a way that very few other bands can.
  40. Jul 5, 2012
    Now that we're past all the pay-what-you-want hype, we can look at it objectiviely, and realise that this is their bets album, hands down. it's perfect.
  41. Oct 13, 2012
    Near the beginning I didn't really like it and felt that radiohead had begun to shy away from it's the bends/ok computer beginning(pablo honey didn't really count for most fans) but it started to grow on me as it progressed.
  42. Mar 22, 2013
    Stop telling me what to listen to haters. gtfo of here and go listen to Justin Timberlake or Beyonce if you want ├╝ber catchy pop on a "great" voice.
  43. Feb 23, 2013
    "In Rainbows" is a colossal of modern music.Joyful,teary and full of humanity.Lyminous lyrics,great vocals,exquisite guitar efforts from Jonny.Best of the best
  44. Feb 17, 2013
    Beautiful and sophisticated. On constant replay. These songs are simply captivating. I hope they do more along these lines, because I can't get enough of this, and I want more!
  45. Feb 23, 2013
    A great record, all songs on it are worth listening to, and the best Radiohead since OK Computer. Although this may upset a lot of fans, it might even be better than OK Computer.
  46. May 13, 2013
    This is the first Radiohead's album I ever listened. My favorite song is 15 Step because the musical arrangement, that is so amazing. The whole album is beautiful and needs to be listened by all.
  47. Jun 18, 2013
    Just pure perfection, easily Radiohead's 3rd best album, behind Kid A, and OK Computer, but this album is a lot different than anything they have ever done. This particular album has beautiful melodies and almost every song on this album you can listen to. Definitely the best of 2008.
  48. Jul 31, 2013
    Amazing album deserves all the praise it gets. In rainbows is a really chilled out album and not as dark as some of Radioheads other work. Great album to relax to with a cup of tea
  49. Sep 7, 2013
    To say In Rainbows was an amazing album is simply an understatement. Radiohead not only created a masterpiece, exceeding any expectation that fans and critics had, but did so in a time where true musicianship was at a very low output. Where some bands may have gave in and reincarnated their sound to fit a mainstream tone, Radiohead took the sounds of alternative rock a craftily arranged it with symphonic harmonies and electronic beats, making the best album of the 2000s in my opinion. Personally my favorite Radiohead album, as there is no song I dislike. They nailed it on this one, and unfortunately, I think set a bar too high for any future projects, as King Of Limbs, though solid, was a flop compared to In Rainbows. Expand
  50. Aug 26, 2013
    Radiohead's most consistent album to date, In Rainbows is a calming, yet also complex experience featuring beautiful melodies and instrumentation. It is pure artistic perfection in every sense of the word.
  51. Oct 6, 2013
    You will hear many hardcore music lovers complain about the lack of great, rythmic, catchy and deep lyrics in recent releases but Radiohead once again demonstrate why they are still relevant and one of the greatest bands to grace the industry by providing us with one of the best albums since, well, KID A.

I feel you can't give the album a just analysis in 5000 characters but all I can
    say is buy/download it and give it a few good listense. It may not be OK Computer level stuff (let's admit, are we ever gonna see something as genius as that again?) but it's superb music.

52. Feb 3, 2014
    One of my favourite radiohead albums...... there is not one song where you can say "meh"...... and skip it....... the album gets better everytime you listen to it.......
  53. Dec 5, 2013
    I would really write this review in spanish to can really express what this album makes me feel every single time I play it. Its the only perfect album from Radiohead in my opinion. Since "15 step" begins, my ears starts to feel something unique and special. Its beat, the bassline, the ondes martenot sounds and the lyrics are just wonderful. Then "Bodysnatchers", one the most rocker songs on their catalog. "Nude", my personal favorite track on this album and in their whole career, it has some beauty that any other musician had make feel ever. The following track, "All I need", is so dark, so tense, so creepy at times that makes me feel goosebumps and it has that beautiful endind that just makes feel orgasmated. "Faust arp", with that "new" style to sing on Thom's voice is unnatural. "Reckoner: PERFECT TRACK! And then the last 3 tracks, essential in Radiohead's career, but they are like just one piece that should be listened together to understand what it really is. In my whole life, this is the only album I play if I'm sad or angry or better if I'm happy, not matter the season, the hour, the circumstances, its perfect. Expand
  54. Apr 14, 2014
    the best album of radiohead that I never heard, is the great album with balance, to the great album of great heavy and the great level of the bends and ok computer, the fans should have in this private collection, in format CD, or Downloaded, is the best album of 2000's era of RADIOHEAD
  55. Jul 11, 2014
    This is Radioheads 7th studio album and it doesn't disappoint, if your into Radiohead you will know they like a change, from Ok Computer to Kid A. This album really showcases Thom Yorke's vocal range and there creativity with the unique rhythm the tracks have, this album was also produced well. You can tell a lot of effort went into this making this album as a whole, and it payed off. Radiohead decided to release this album on there site, letting everyone decide what there willing to pay for it. Which worked out well for them. The first two tracks on this album are different from the rest with having a more up beat to them, and the other 8 tracks having a slower rhythm to them. each instruments fitting in perfectly with the tracks, they also flow together well. The lyrics are clever and are backed up by beautiful instruments and Yorke's vocals. It's hard to pick out certain tracks as favorites because there all great. If your a fan of Radioheads earlier albums this might not be for you, there aren't heavy up heat tracks like there where on The Bends. But all up this album came together well, highly recommend it. Expand
  56. Jul 24, 2014
    This album combines all of Radiohead's strengths; the heavy post-punk riff of "Bodysnatchers", the quirky electronica opener "15 Step", the brooding emo pop like "Nude", "All I Need" and the darkly romantic "Jigsaw Falling Into Place" and "Arpeggi". But they also show us new colors (a variety of which credits the album's title "In Rainbows"). On House of Cards the once-so-sinister Yorke plays a desperate lover against a jolly acoustic guitar, on Videotape he plays a suicidal optimist against a piano, and on Faust Arp he shows his rapper/Dylan side, only past seen on Wolf at the Door.

But this is not just a showcase of Radiohead's talents- Hail To The Thief did that just fine- this is a great album. It's emotional & warm, yet bleak and cold, and one listen to this album can change my mood for days. Second only to OK Computer, this shines as a thrilling installment in Radiohead's repertoire.
    Key Tracks: Bodysnatchers, All I Need, Videotape, Reckoner
    Low Points: None, but if I had to choose Nude or Faust Arp.
  57. Aug 5, 2014
    Radiohead succeeded in making an awesome album using instruments. No effects, all the production went in making crystal-clear the sound of every piece of the puzzle.
    This is an amazing masterpiece.

1. In Rainbows really does present Radiohead at their most full-blooded and confident.
  2. Overall, the material feels more human, more honest, more assured.
  3. Happily, In Rainbows is pretty, pretty good.