• Record Label: Capitol
  • Release Date: Nov 21, 2006
8.2

Review this album

1. Apr 20, 2015
    Because it's the Beatles, I REALLY wanted to like it but came away disappointed. Paying a $100+ per ticket to watch the cast blow bubbles, roller blade and cover the audience with a bed sheet proves Barnum's theorem that there's a sucker born every minute.
    I've seen Cirque shows before and came away awed. Last night, not so much.
    When this thing opened 9-10 years ago it might have been
    I've seen Cirque shows before and came away awed. Last night, not so much.
    When this thing opened 9-10 years ago it might have been innovative but since then, others have upped the ante ie. Blue Man Group, any decent circus, etc. so while I can marvel at the technical complexity of the moving stage and prop appearance/disappearance from the rafters, on the whole, I'd rather have the cost of the tickets back in my pocket and use my imagination while listening to the $12 soundtrack.
    Head's Up: if you begin to hear "number 9, number 9" on the recorded soundtrack (no live music in this show) that's a signal to the cast that there's a serious glitch somewhere and the show comes to an abrupt halt. The house lights come up, the actors leave the stage and the audience sits there listening to abstract symphonic music while they fix whatever is broken. Then the cast ambles back on stage and the show awkwardly resumes. Very strange.

1. Love vindicates the Beatles' status as master musicians and conceptualists.
  2. The question of whether anybody would listen to Love more than once if the original Beatles albums were available in equivalent sound quality is a nice one. But it doesn't seem to matter much when you can almost feel the spit flying from John Lennon's mouth during Revolution, or when A Day in the Life's orchestral swell comes surging from the speakers. After all, it's hard to ask questions when your breath has been taken away.
  3. You could figure it as a sop to today's interactive mash-up culture. Or you could say it's just extending the medley-ish, segue-happy ethos of Abbey Road to the band's entire catalog. Really, it's both, and it's bliss.