Prism - Katy Perry
5.5

Review this album

1. Oct 22, 2013
    It seems like the album was made for a unique objective: Charts. Devoid of any artistic intention, Prism is just another album with some mainstream songs that probably will be on top of the Billboard Hot 100.
  2. Nov 11, 2013
  3. Oct 22, 2013
    I must admit I'm absolutely disappointed with this album.
    It's Teenage Dream all over again. The music is more serious? Seriously, is it?
    Do Birthday, This Is How We Do, Walking on Air, International Smile and Dark Horse seem like serious songs to you? Sure, the album has a few serious tracks, but that's what everyone expects from an album that was promised to be dark. And, it is the
    opposite of dark.

Katy played it safe again. All the tracks are catchy and they could do well on charts, but, they're incredibly forgettable. They not only sound alike with the songs on Teenage Dream, they also sound alike between them! By the Grace of God, Unconditionally, Roar and Walking on Air are the only standout tracks.

Katy should take more risks and try new styles. Her fans will like Prism, but the general public will hardly do.
  4. Oct 22, 2013
    Katy Perry is doing the same thing. There's just a few good songs, but all of them sounds the same. Maybe she needs to try something new. There's good lyrics on the album while the rhythm of all of them are getting Perry's back to "One of the Boys...", she needs more of the potential of "Teenage Dream".
  5. Oct 23, 2013
    I don't think this album is good enough to follow up to the amazing Teenage Dream, this album just lacks something. It just gets boring after listening to the first 3-5 tracks and the last 8 tracks all seem like fillers.
  6. Oct 24, 2013
    unfortunately i did not like this album, it is very superficial, it does not have a good artistic view, it´s just pop songs with trash lyrics, so it is
  7. Oct 22, 2013
    well, everything she said gone wrong....she said this one would be darkest but i didn't really see anything differente about her music..it's always the same and this just gets me bored
  8. Oct 22, 2013
    Just the same generic song, made for the charts
    = Teenage Dream and One of the Boys. #1 hits but
    no evolution, no memorable song, no art
    , no quality, fake emotions
  9. Nov 11, 2013
    All i have to say is: Worst album of the year she need to grow up
    stop with this teenage crap it's sounds like she's trying to be robyn
    all the record sounds the same.
  10. Oct 23, 2013
    overall, this isn't her best album. it's a very tiring record, it basically sounds like one mediocre song, and for on of the main pioneers of pop this just doesn't do. there are a few standout tracks though: dark horse, birthday and walking on air are the main highlights of a soulless dreading listen.
  11. Oct 26, 2013
    I don't like it! The only good songs (there are 16 songs) are "Roar", "Dark Horse", "Legendary Lovers", "Birthday", "Walking On Air", & "This Is How We Do". The others are trash.
    Katy, I'm sorry, but your album sucks!
  12. Oct 22, 2013
    In fact, PRISM could be much better. It isn´t bad but it isn´t good too. It´s just one more album with forgettable songs. PRISM was made for the charts not for the music!
  13. Nov 10, 2013
    Teenage Dream Prism
    I was expecting more from Katy Perry in this album. Roar was a mediocre pop song. (The only reason Roar is on my iPod is because it was free from Pepsi.) The rest of the songs are just plain and boring. Dark Horse is the best song on the album with Unconditionally in 2nd and Roar in 3rd. The rest are just bad. Dark Horse is the only song I bought on iTunes though. I
    hope future singles/albums from Katy are better or she's loosing a fan that she's had from the beginning. Expand
  14. Nov 3, 2013
    I really don't understand why this have a "10". Is a monotonous album. I would gave it "1" for Walking on Air but there are 16 songs! So is not woth it. Hope she does better in the future.
  15. Oct 29, 2013
    Katy always worked, without ashamed to show it's a Pop Star, 'Teenage Dream' is quite exciting, when you want to hear a good Pop, who does not think about him? On his new album, 'Prism', Perry seems to have the need to prove that we can present something different, when all we want is more Katy Perry, of course, that renew every job is always good, the error in 'Prism' is that it does not work.
  16. Nov 7, 2013
    I like just ROAR its very good and catchy but other songs OMG Katy and Prism is soooooo floppy and BASICK as B**ch. Katy is like butterfly without wings And Katy can not sing live Its ridiculous
  17. Nov 7, 2013
    The album is like Teenage Dream left over, nothing new or exciting only the same usual BMP and bland lyrics over old tracks. When you listen to Prism you would feel like the album was made for Disney movie for kids.

The album is just made-for-radio and charts I would be sad if I was Katy Perry hardcore fan because it seems that Katy is pleasing top 40 more than her fans who are
    supposedly the ones this album is for. Expand
  18. Nov 7, 2013
    the same as always, Katy does not change, afraid! the same as always, Katy does not change, afraid! the same as always, Katy does not change, afraid!!!
  19. Nov 8, 2013
    When I heard this album, there was nothing new from Katy Perry! The album is a mess! At least, Teenage Dream had a cooler theme....Same kind of vocals throughout the album! The album contained "OK" tracks! The worst album we got this year! Listening to the album, I have come to the conclusion that Katy Perry is definitely not an album artist! She's just a singles artist who only releases singles which go and top the charts! I would also like to state that the album is filler-packed! I WARN YOU NOT TO BUT THIS ALBUM! Expand
  20. Nov 11, 2013
    Had high hopes for this album but was actually very disappointed! It's very similar to the Katy of all other albums, and i think including some different sounds or even a slightly different theme would be useful to freshen things up and keep people interested! It's about time she stopped making music just to gain single chart success and make an album of good quality!
  21. Nov 11, 2013
    This is a fun album that should do fairly well on the charts (if that's what is important these days..) but I can't help but feel it's a bit of an empty sterile shell. I can't really connect to this.
  22. Nov 11, 2013
    Katy Perry 's new album "PRISM" is her worst album ever Only "Roar" is good the others songs are so bad When I buy "PRISM" i was so happy to listen her new album After the end of the album i was so confused because "PRISM" is her worst album ever
  23. Nov 11, 2013
    I'm sorry but Katy's vocals aren't that good. Lyrics are pretty good but i hope she wrote them herself. Roar is the only song i like from Prism. Other 15 songs are... I hope she can do it better on her next album.
  24. Nov 11, 2013
    Just mainstream bubblegum pop-music. I thought it would be 'darker'? But it failed, I shouldn't be suprised though. 'Roar' is just MADE for the #1 spots, very bland and simple lyrics, we've all heard this before. Nothing 'dark', nothing artistic. And why did she burn her blue wig? I still don't understand it.
  25. Nov 12, 2013
    They all sound the same. Where is her diversity? She is always so safe with her music choices. The expectation didn't live up to the hype. Sure she has an okay singing voice but with all the ballads and slow tempo songs, it's basically the same song interpreted in 15 different ways. BEYOND disappointed.
  26. Nov 12, 2013
    Katy Perry is nothing but a stupid woman desperate to top the charts with songs who goes according to what she thinks is gaining prominence among the public. In her new "album", "Prism", Katia tries to join the fever indie/alternative which made success with artists like Adele, Fun., Macklemore, Gotye, Lorde, Lana Del Rey, but Katy's ability to make decent songs is so weak that she didn't ever try to change the production team, hear different sounds or perform a deep dive in the world who she says she wants to be part of. This album is not horrible at all, but there's absolutely nothing that Katy said it was and is unfortunate for Sia having to write songs for a singer so irrelevant in the music scenario. Expand
  27. Nov 9, 2013
    A generic pop album by a bubblegum generic pop singer. Seriously, people, what's wrong with you? These stupid pop artists will NEVER stop making horrible music if you guys still buying their songs.
  28. Nov 8, 2013
    A album made of fillers and boring songs, one extention of teenage dream and her terrible first album One of the boys. Forgot Dr. Luke & Max Martin Perry
  29. Nov 6, 2013
    There isn't a doubt that Katy produces hits But she lacks artistic integrity This album supposedly is about transitioning into a different style for Katy but the result eventually is sonically predictable
  30. Nov 7, 2013
    All in all it´s really….ummmm disappointing.
    I´m not really bias or anything, I expected a lot more to Katy Perry after the uber successful Teenage dream…but no. Katy said that the album would be darker, which is good a change of pace but after the release of Prism, rather making me think how dark and eerie Katy Perry made this album (except the dark horse part where it was like a darker
    part of Katy Perry) it made me think of how similar this album to her past works….for example Birthday, it is like aTeenage dream single #3, This is how we do…the continuation
    of T.G.I.F, International Smile catchy but it´s like a part of `One of the Boys´. And the ballads, The Grace of God is something between great and good going to her roots I really like it, but unconditionally, the lyrics are
    kind of good but the sound of Katy Perry…it could be more climatic if only Mariah Carey or Christina Aguilera had that song, when Katy Perry sang that song I got a feeling that I couldn´t feel the climax of the song near at the end and in the chorus. Walking on Air, I really like it, fit for the dance floor yet very contemporary-ish. If I will be judging the album over all it would be 35 or 40 over 100 because some of the song dragged it down hard, but if I will be judging on the singles with the help of her team I guess it could be successful to younger audiences.
  31. Nov 9, 2013
    Its disappointed me! Its not fresh,unique!!! i dont think if this album not make by the name "Katy Perry" will have people buy it.... And this Album is not Katy Perry at all!!! The only reason i can think of y this album can be on top just because its by "Katy Perry"! DISAPPOINTED
  32. Nov 8, 2013
    This is album is not bad, but it doesn't bring something special and interesting, It's just like what she used to do, Music for teenagers, I'm not a teenager sorry.
    It would be more interesting if she tried to work with new producers, and try to bring something new, when I hear the album in full I just feel the previous one
  33. Nov 11, 2013
    The production on this album is quite wonderful, but Katy's vocal deliverance is, yet again, absolutely painful and over processed. It's as if Kidz Pop re-recorded Madonna's, "Ray of Light," but replaced the lyrics with nursery rhymes and clichés instead of the original content.
  34. Nov 13, 2013
    A very boring Album. No surprises, no style. Katy didn't gave us somethig new to listing. Just more of the same ever. The only track that maybe can save the album is "Dark Horse", even through it isn't enough. Not this time Katy, keep trying to make a nice album... who knows in the next year.
  35. Nov 12, 2013
    i don't know why, but listening to this makes me angry1 it''s boring and so many ballads, i was over it after 4 songs! such a let down, this is lame as hell! waited for her to better herself but she just sucks even more now!
  36. Nov 12, 2013
    Her newest album, Prism, is a disappointment if one is going to hold on to her words promising a darker tune. It's full of cliches, the tracks sound alike and pales in comparison to her magnum opus which was Teenage Dream (and even that was full a factory made album designed to cater to the gullible masses).
  37. Nov 12, 2013
    Will Katy Perry ever dismiss herself as the bubblegum pop sell out that she is? Yet another boring, repetitive album. I look forward to the day when we hear something different from Ms. Perry. Right now, she's a perfect marketing machine with no decent output.
  38. Nov 12, 2013
    this album is BORING as She said that her new album will be "dark and mature", and all I can hear is all Teenage Dream's sound and Roar is the only one can standout in this album
  39. Nov 14, 2013
    It is too boring from the start to the end... Not interesting at all. She should leave songwriting to people who know how to do it, and do what she was always doing.
  40. Nov 9, 2013
    La primera mitad del cd es muy entretenida, bailable, muy inspirador, pero llegando a la mitad el cd se empieza a poner aburrido, sin sentido, es como que llega de golpe cuando estabas muy prendido todo eso se acaba de golpe, la única canción destacable de la segunda mitad del cd es By the grace of god que es muy potente.
  41. Nov 14, 2013
    Katy Perry is doing the same thing. There's just a few good songs, but all of them sounds the same. Maybe she needs to try something new. This album sucks.
  42. Nov 16, 2013
    After patiently waiting and getting my hopes up for a darker side of Katy Perry, I was very disappointed when I finally heard this album. It seems to be that she is trying to make music that will top the charts, rather then focusing on the actual quality of the music. Of course, we find what we always find in Katy Perry's music: catchy melodies and a variety of songs (ballads, dance tracks, glam rock etc.) However, After hearing a re-make of each one of her albums, I can efficiently conclude that it gets very boring. It's about quality, not quantity.

Summary: Catchy, yet utterly boring
  43. Nov 12, 2013
    I just can say that Prism is one of the most bored albums that I have listened. I just can say that the only song that I like is Legendary Lovers. I can't understand how successful Roar has been. Is a simply and childish song... Mi rate: 1
  44. Nov 14, 2013
    As a Katycat I was highly disappointed with Katy's new album. I thought it was going to be her dark era yet she comes out with this "spread the light" nonsense. To top it all off, 'Walking On Air' (aka the best song on the album) was released as a promo single
  45. Nov 14, 2013
    Not a step up from Teenage Dream at all most of the songs sound like its generic left overs.The second half of the album is better than the first.Katy has all these creative producers and this is all they could come up with? There are some good tracks Spiritual, It Takes Two, Legendary Lovers and Ghost. One of the Boys still remains Katy's best and most mature albums to date.
  46. Nov 14, 2013
    This album is really boring and completely forgettable, I'm very dissapointed because Teenage Dreams was a good album and now she is trying to repeat each song, Birthday California Gurls, Unconditionally Wide Awake And Roar is a Brave ripoff.
  47. Nov 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Katy ainda tem muito o que aprender, esse álbum está muito fraco. Acho que ela deve fazer umas aulas de canto também... Isso pode ajudá-la. Não vi nada de inovador e legal nesse álbum. Será que foi difícil escrever esses "rugidos" chatos de se ouvir? Aff... Expand
  48. Nov 15, 2013
    She really is bland. The most successful song "Rawr" could easily be confused for a Disney song super cheesy and annoying. If this album wins her any Grammys, they've lost all credibility to me.
  49. Hoe
    Nov 16, 2013
    All songs sound like fillers. Not really much that stands out. Not even the lead single Roar was impressing. Many songs are good like Legendary Lovers and Unconditionally but they all sound the same. It isnt really diverse. It does have more lyrical meaning than Teenage Dream so props to that. I think many were disappointed by this album since we were expecting more.
  50. Dec 3, 2013
    lol trash lol trash lol trash lol trash lol trash lol trash lol trash lol trash lol trash lol trash lol trash lol trash lol trash lol trash lol trash lol trash lol trash lol trash lol trash lol trash lol trash lol trash lol trash lol trash lol trash lol trash lol trash lol trash
  51. Dec 21, 2013
    What is this? I mean, what she tried to do? Had she tried to break away from it all one day she ever done? She wasnt so different from Teenage Dream, except the part that Prism has a lot of boring musics! Katy, I dont hear you roar.
  52. Mar 22, 2014
    While being her career best, PRISM is only a tad bit more mature than her previous albums, and ends up sounding less inspired, mostly due to the overwhelming amount of useless ballads. The album drags on superfluously, and is hardly memorable at all. Obviously this album (and all of its songs) will wipe out the Billboard Hot 100 and Billboard 200, as this album seems to be perfectly cut out for that sole objective.
    Well played, Perry.
    Especially after (barely putting up with) listening to it again, PRISM sounds dated, boring, and just flat-out awful.

Best Songs- Walking On Air, Legendary Lovers, Ghost
    Worst- Dark Horse, Roar, Birthday, ALL OF THE BALLADS
  53. Dec 9, 2013
    Overall, Katy Perry's ''PRISM'' is an extremely bland album (even boring at points) with little intention other than to be on top of the charts. Key tracks are ''Unconditionally'', ''Dark Horse (feat. Juicy J)'' and ''Legendary Lovers''.
  54. Nov 18, 2013
    This album tries to be mature and to sound interesting, but it fails at it.
    There are a few good songs like Dark Horse, Unconditionally and walking on air.
  55. Feb 16, 2014
    this album avoids any artistic intention, it was just made for the charts and for the money, this young beautiful lady can't even write a song by herself, and when it comes to the voice it's like hearing a 5 year old girl dreaming with being a star. Horrible.
  56. Nov 17, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. O álbum em si um fracasso. pretensioso e enjoativo, pelo que parece Katy Perry fugiu de suas tradicionais faixas dançantes, forçando um álbum mais acústico tentando atrair um prêmio grammy. O álbum apresenta faixas interessantes como Unconditionally, Walk On Air e o próprio lead single, Roar, mas além de singles comerciais, preciso ter um álbum sólido, que se siga uma progressão e que seja mais escutável. A resposta para a pergunta "Porque Katy Perry não vende tantos CDs quanto a Lady Gaga ou a Rihanna ou a Adele?" de simples resposta: As outras 3 estrelas citadas trabalham em torno de um álbum, que o alvo de um artista, Katy Perry trabalha em torno de singles e hits nº 1 nas listas de lojas digitais e da billboard. A impressão que se dá que os próprios fãs ao ouvirem o CD pulam várias faixas, e talvez, por isso as vendas de singles da cantora supere as do CD; mais fácil pagar por unidade do que pelo coletivo que não será aproveitado. Quanto ao Grammy: não se sabe se a ideia do Prism foi de atingir o Grammy Awards, mas com certeza, o álbum passa longe disso. Expand
  57. Nov 17, 2013
    The albums is really basic. I wonder if Dr. Luke keeps using the same beats everytime? OH! He just answered me with this album. Roar is very childish, some songs are kinda catchy but it's nothing new at all. This album may be forgotten by future generations.
  58. Nov 26, 2013
    Although I was hoping for a more darker album. She seems to not want to let go of that bubble gum pop sound that made teenage dream a huge hit. Aside from a few notable songs the rest of the album just doesn't live up to the hype.
  59. Dec 3, 2013
    Katy Perry stopped in time with his second album Teenage Dream, prism does not have any novelty or excitement, full of hits but very commercial and low quality made ​​in order to become successful on the charts. With this goal the only album becomes a good alternative to the radio and teen parties
  60. Dec 4, 2013
    Katy Perry promises a mature album and comes with that sh*t, here's a Teenage Dream 2.0, repeating the same formula for success, PRISM sounds like a childish and boring album. ''Dark Horse'' shows an interesting song that finally shows something different, other featured is ''Walking on Air'', a dance track tasteful, Katy tries to pass seriousness in songs like ''By The Grace of God'', it is a pity that it does not get this done, but the fact is that this album is a ''samba'' in ARTPOP by Lady Gaga. Expand
  61. Dec 23, 2013
    Filtered garbage. When are people gonna open their ears and venture out into real, talented, original, mature and inspirational music? Mainstream is such trash. Do people even care that her lyrics feel like they've been written by a bunch of outcast 12 years? Of course they don't.. Nobody even tries anymore in mainstream and it's sickening.. "They're so talented and artistic" seriously? Listen to a real band and get your heads out of your preteen girl asses. It's sad really. The more famous they become the worse they get, happen all the time not only with Katy perry but with everyone. Of course nobody will listen to people like me. We're "idiots" and can't appreciate anything People will say. Think of it like fast food compared to authentic food made from scratch. People will flock to large chains like mcdonalds cause it's cheap easy and taste good. Nobody wants to taste the real thing anymore and people really just don't give a Expand
  62. Feb 27, 2014
    Prism, de Katy Perry, é bom, mas não vale um grammy.

Katy Perry veio com Prism, que promete ser com certeza um álbum recheado de sucessos para a carreia de Katy, porém, mais uma vez, a cantora não traz nada demais. Com músicas boas, Katy Perry continua presa em sua zona de conforto, e a cada música escutada você começa a ter a impressão de que a cantora lança single já pensando em #1.
    Se Katy Perry quiser mesmo um grammy, precisa mudar muito e deixar de ser uma escrava da Capitol Records.
    Melhores do álbum: Legendary Lovers, Walking On Air, Dark Horse e Unconditionally
  63. Apr 13, 2014
    This album is a nursery rhyme record. I gave it 1 because there is atleast one decent song in this album, and that for me is Spiritual, and the fact that Katy didn't even write that song makes me cringe.
  64. May 21, 2014
    Honestly a very catchy top 40 record. Now it's not amazing at all, but it's good for what it is. Most of the singles are guilty pleasures, but the rest of the LP falls flat.
  65. Jul 8, 2014
    I've never heard an album such as this commercial. Kids and presumptuous, sometimes I wonder, as they needed 20 composers to compose songs like: "I got the eye of the tiger, the fighter, dancing through the fire... 'Cause I am the champion and you're gonna hear me roar... Louder, louder than a lion"? Until I do better than that with only a piano and a pen. But Prism has its positive side, some songs like "By The Gace Of God" or "Double Rainbow" are saved, and they materialize a Katy Perry somewhat more mature, but it's nothing that you come to say, "OH MY GOD". Expand

Everything that is missing from [Lady Gaga's Artpop] is here, but everything that is good about it is spectacularly absent from Prism.
  2. Nov 22, 2013
    Prism feels transitional, the work of an artist clever enough to be restless, yet unable to split from a winning formula. [Dec 2013, p.110]
  3. Nov 14, 2013
    It doesn’t require the patience or emotional/intellectual involvement that albums I typically listen to require. The cool thing, though, is that it does have quite a bit of redeeming value.